USMB Coffee Shop IV

2 late nights in a row and I NEED Thursday. The poker gods were kind last night and earned a nice portion of the $760 pot.
Some regulars came in with 6 or 7 others for an impromptu birthday party that required some loud music and dancing and some serious drinking and what is typically a slow night turned into our best Wednesday ever.
Cleaning up after that took a couple hours and we left at 4 AM.
It's raining here and has been for a couple hours. 1.2" of it so far. It looks like it should clear out by midnight, but I will not be mowing the lawn today.

The greenhouses are open at last! I suppose Mother's Day being a week from Sunday has something to do with it. Our last frost happens in mid-May around here, so I will not be wearing a blister on my credit card this weekend buying flowers for the World Famous Pimplebutt Flower display.

Rather, I will buy Mom some of her favorite coleus in red, green and variegated tones for the planters flanking the front door at the Big House.

I use the simple rule of thumb for her planters: thrillers, fillers and spillers. A grand tall variety anchors down the middle. Multi-colored plants fill in the rest of the pots while an asparagus vine spills over the side. Simple yet effective.

My Brooklyn friend is coming here again this summer to go to the bi-annual Pig Roast and the Shaker Woods craft festival come early August. She asked last night about going to a Pirates game. No need to twist my arm there! One of the home games during her visit is also Pup Night. Dog owners can bring their mutts and curs to PNC Park. They set up a special section out in the left field bleachers and give away dog related swag like bandannas, collapsible drinking bowls and collars. Daisy the Mutt has never ever shown any interest in baseball, but with all those other dogs to sniff and play with, I'm guessing she would have a grand night out at the ball yard.

My friend, however, likes the whole Pittsburgh experience. That involves parking at Station Square which is hard against the south bank of the Monongahela, and then taking the boat over around the Point to the landing in front of PNC Park. I'm not sure that the water taxi allows dogs, no matter how cute and friendly. It might be a lonely night at home for Daisy.

The greenhouses are open at last! I suppose Mother's Day being a week from Sunday has something to do with it. Our last frost happens in mid-May around here, so I will not be wearing a blister on my credit card this weekend buying flowers for the World Famous Pimplebutt Flower display.

Rather, I will buy Mom some of her favorite coleus in red, green and variegated tones for the planters flanking the front door at the Big House.

I use the simple rule of thumb for her planters: thrillers, fillers and spillers. A grand tall variety anchors down the middle. Multi-colored plants fill in the rest of the pots while an asparagus vine spills over the side. Simple yet effective.

My Brooklyn friend is coming here again this summer to go to the bi-annual Pig Roast and the Shaker Woods craft festival come early August. She asked last night about going to a Pirates game. No need to twist my arm there! One of the home games during her visit is also Pup Night. Dog owners can bring their mutts and curs to PNC Park. They set up a special section out in the left field bleachers and give away dog related swag like bandannas, collapsible drinking bowls and collars. Daisy the Mutt has never ever shown any interest in baseball, but with all those other dogs to sniff and play with, I'm guessing she would have a grand night out at the ball yard.

My friend, however, likes the whole Pittsburgh experience. That involves parking at Station Square which is hard against the south bank of the Monongahela, and then taking the boat over around the Point to the landing in front of PNC Park. I'm not sure that the water taxi allows dogs, no matter how cute and friendly. It might be a lonely night at home for Daisy.

I think our mdk is from Pittsburg so he probably has experienced all that. You do paint a wonderful word picture of a great night out. And I'm not even really a baseball fan, but I would enjoy what you describe.

I think our mdk is from Pittsburg so he probably has experienced all that. You do paint a wonderful word picture of a great night out. And I'm not even really a baseball fan, but I would enjoy what you describe.
If my few words paint a picture for you, imagine how many words I would have to use to describe the view from the grandstands at PNC.

Pedro_goes_to_Pittsburgh.jpg

That's the Clemente Bridge stretching from center field to right, but really over the Allegheny River. It used to be called the Sixth Street Bridge, but the baseball field made that sound too pedestrian. The tallest building rising above it is the USX Tower, formerly the US Steel building. At 64 stories, it is the tallest building between New York and Chicago.

The sun sets over first base, fireworks are launched from a barge moored on the river just over the right field fence and the boats dock right beyond the right field foul pole.

The park holds about 35,000 and tickets go fast these days. Before the 2013 season,you could get box seats just above third base by walking up to the ticket windows and asking for the best seats still available. This season I had better start now to find seats for a game in August.

Incidentally Foxy, it's PittsburgH. I know you're in Albuquerque (which is tough enough to spell), but Pittsburgh has been proud of the "H" at the end for better than 120 years.

Incidentally Foxy, it's PittsburgH. I know you're in Albuquerque (which is tough enough to spell), but Pittsburgh has been proud of the "H" at the end for better than 120 years.

Whoops. So sorry. We lived for several years in Pittsburg (no "h") Kansas and I really have to think about it to not automatically spell it that way--and my spell checker doesn't object to the smaller version either.

What does a cup of joe cost in here? :coffee:
If the local NPR radio station is accurate in its estimation of coffee costs compared to expected donations, around $300!

Every Spring and Autumn, the local NPR stations have fund raisers. They tell me that for the cost of a cup of coffee each day, I could feel less guilty about listening to their station.

Welcome to the Coffee Shop Ridgerunner. We're happy you found us. As Nosmo explained, the cost of a cup of coffee can be relative, but here for first timers, you receive a complimentary beverage along with a hopefully warm welcome. (All our other stuff is free too, but we want you to feel special today. :)) So join right in. As soon as folks figure out you're not just a 'drive by' and are here to stay, you'll be adopted as family. And we hope your experience with USMB will be a good one. This is your refuge from the sometimes craziness out there on the rest of the board.

Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

61163faab8fa80cb7b74dc63e91cb890.jpg

Welcome to the Coffee Shop Ridgerunner. We're happy you found us. As Nosmo explained, the cost of a cup of coffee can be relative, but here for first timers, you receive a complimentary beverage along with a hopefully warm welcome. (All our other stuff is free too, but we want you to feel special today. :)) So join right in. As soon as folks figure out you're not just a 'drive by' and are here to stay, you'll be adopted as family. And we hope your experience with USMB will be a good one. This is your refuge from the sometimes craziness out there on the rest of the board.

Well Foxfyre sure do appreciate the hospitality. I also hope this is the beginning of a long a fruitful relationship with new cyber friends. Thanks again for the warm welcome. :wink:

If the local NPR radio station is accurate in its estimation of coffee costs compared to expected donations, around $300!

Every Spring and Autumn, the local NPR stations have fund raisers. They tell me that for the cost of a cup of coffee each day, I could feel less guilty about listening to their station.
They told me something like that years ago. I stopped listening. No guilt and money for cigars.

Well Foxfyre sure do appreciate the hospitality. I also hope this is the beginning of a long a fruitful relationship with new cyber friends. Thanks again for the warm welcome. :wink:
Welcome aboard, Ridgerunner. The coffe is pretty good here, but if you fancy either MUCH stronger coffee or a cold refreshing adult beverage, my bar is right down the street.

Forum List

Back