USMB Coffee Shop IV

And just so I'm current:

13094220_1702369923384210_2164580938465405248_n.png

We're coming up to Albuquerque Thursday, the wife has an interview (Data Analyst) with the University of New Mexico. She did the phone interview last week and pretty much thought she blew it, a couple of days latter they emailed her wanting a face to face. Keep us in your prayers. :thup:

It's been a long while since I commented here last, so I'll update you. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, and am currently waiting to discuss dietary options with my General Physician. Perhaps people have noticed a change in my behavior on this board since then, well it kinda hit me hard. But I know it was due to my negligence and no other. Some of my behavior has been... inexcusable.

On the upside, I have dropped 10 pounds since then. I'm taking something called "Apple Cider Vinegar" pills in an effort to help cut the weight. I'm starting dead lifts beginning at 40 lbs and working my way up to hopefully 150 in six months. I'm about to start taking 1 mile walks at least twice weekly.

Well, I hope all of you had a good day today. See ya.

It's good that you're getting serious about your health. Hopefully after you've been at it for a while you'll feel a lot better! :D

We're coming up to Albuquerque Thursday, the wife has an interview (Data Analyst) with the University of New Mexico. She did the phone interview last week and pretty much thought she blew it, a couple of days latter they emailed her wanting a face to face. Keep us in your prayers. :thup:

Absolutely. Wish we had time to meet for lunch or something, but we're tied down with a mini dachsbund and need to meet its owner at the airport and need to be ready to go when she calls as she (and we) don't know exactly when that will be.

It's been a long while since I commented here last, so I'll update you. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, and am currently waiting to discuss dietary options with my General Physician. Perhaps people have noticed a change in my behavior on this board since then, well it kinda hit me hard. But I know it was due to my negligence and no other. Some of my behavior has been... inexcusable.

On the upside, I have dropped 10 pounds since then. I'm taking something called "Apple Cider Vinegar" pills in an effort to help cut the weight. I'm starting dead lifts beginning at 40 lbs and working my way up to hopefully 150 in six months. I'm about to start taking 1 mile walks at least twice weekly.

Hi TK. Good there is something positive in your life going on. Weight loss and exercise--both strength building and aerobic--is the first and best option to deal with a cholesterol problem and ACV, especially with a little raw regional honey, can do a body wonders for that and all sorts of things.

You might also add a couple tablespoons of flax seed to your diet--grind up the seed (in a coffee grinder) and add it to almost anything. It doesn't substantially alter the taste of most recipes and 2 tblspns would add 22% RDA of fiber. Fiber helps to keep our cholesterol at a healthy level. It also can be beneficial in lowering blood sugar and in weight loss. If you grind your own flax seed it has more nutritional benefit than buying the already ground seed--it loses some of its nutrients within 20-30 minutes of being ground so I grind mine just before I use it.

Avoid carbonated beverages except for a very occasional treat though and drink plentry of water on a high fiber diet. Not only does it allow the fiber to work as it is supposed to but does all sorts of good things for the body.

Also, when we are slightly or moderately dehydrated, it is too easy to mistake how that makes us feel for hunger and it encourages snacking and overeating.

Last edited:

Absolutely. Wish we had time to meet for lunch or something, but we're tied down with a mini dachsbund and need to meet its owner at the airport and need to be ready to go when she calls as she (and we) don't know exactly when that will be.
It wouldn't work anyway, we'll drive up, find the place, hang out for about an hour so the wife can "relax" and change, do the interview then turn around and drive home.

Hi TK. Good there is something positive in your life going on. Weight loss and exercise--both strength building and aerobic--is the first and best option to deal with a cholesterol problem and ACV, especially with a little raw regional honey, can do a body wonders for that and all sorts of things.

You might also add a couple tablespoons of flax seed to your diet--grind up the seed (in a coffee grinder) and add it to almost anything. It doesn't substantially alter the taste of most recipes and 2 tblspns would add 22% RDA of fiber. Fiber helps to keep our cholesterol at a healthy level. It also can be beneficial in lowering blood sugar and in weight loss. If you grind your own flax seed it has more nutritional benefit than buying the already ground seed--it loses some of its nutrients within 20-30 minutes of being ground so I grind mine just before I use it.

Avoid carbonated beverages except for a very occasional treat though and drink plentry of water on a high fiber diet. Not only does it allow the fiber to work as it is supposed to but does all sorts of good things for the body.

Also, when we are slightly or moderately dehydrated, it is too easy to mistake how that makes us feel for hunger and it encourages snacking and overeating.

I will save this post for future reference. I very much appreciate the tips, Fox.

It wouldn't work anyway, we'll drive up, find the place, hang out for about an hour so the wife can "relax" and change, do the interview then turn around and drive home.

That is a looooooong haul for a round trip in a single day. My niece works at UNM but not in data entry.

That is a looooooong haul for a round trip in a single day. My niece works at UNM but not in data entry.
Google maps says just under 4 hours, I figure with stops (my prostate isn't 20 something any more........) we're looking at least 4 1/2 hours. Not really all that bad.

Good morning everybody. Send me some reinforcing vibes today. I am MCing our Senior Saints luncheon and it is on me to explain to them that they are 'too old' to attract new retirees to the group and we need to change our name to remove all vestiges of ageism and redirect our focus and ministry. Sixty is indeed the new 40 and most senior citizens don't see themselves as senior citizens and don't want to be thought of as senior citizens. (We do like the very few perks that come with it of course.)

I don't envy me this task.
Hooks crossed for your success, Foxy. Maybe a new name? How about "Fine Vintage Whiners"?

Send me some reinforcing vibes today

I cannna do no vibes no more
My vibes are busted ! I used to do vibes, but they seem to have drained away as part of the ageing process.
Vibes? I have lots of vibes, quite a few tics, as well. What I don't have any more it much get-up-and-go 'cause mine got up and went a while ago.

You both are there, already. Hey! You might become neighbors with Foxy and Hombre! How neat would that be?

Whew! Spent the better part of the day chauffeuring the broken partner around. At least we got to go by Cabela's and look around. The best part of Cabela's, or the Bass Pro "Outpost", are their wildlife displays. Cabela's has some truly neat mounts, like the one with two bull moose fighting, or the beluga whales mounted overhead. They also have a Piper Cub suspended from the ceiling with the propeller rotating.
When I went out to feed Sassy her morning bottle, I heard kitten cries. I found the feral nest, momma bolted as soon as she saw me. There were 4-5 black-and-white kittens and one grey one. She must have had them last night in one of my goat kid boxes. I just hope I didn't spook her away permanently. I plan on shutting the stall so even the goats don't go in and disturb her. I'll peek a bit when I go down for evening feeding and milking.
...Sending luck and lots of good vibes to all my CS buddies you have the need. I'll be solo tonight (partner is spending the next couple of days at his place in town). Oh peace, lovely peace...

Doc called me today and said my cholesterol was WAY over the limit and said he was going to put me on a statin. I said hell no he isn't. So he said put a teaspoon of cinnamon in some yogurt...the cinnamon whacks the bad stuff in half. He said eat cheerios or oatmeal too, with another teaspoon of cinnamon...and there is my pill. I said sure! Anything besides a damn statin!

Adding to Foxfyre's great list of things to do...don't forget NO GLUTEN. That is a major culprit. If you want to snack....munch on Doritos Cool Ranch chips (they are already gluten free), Snyders pretzels in GF packages (I love the honey mustard!) and do at least an hour per day of exercise...even if it means walking around the block.

Good morning everybody. Send me some reinforcing vibes today. I am MCing our Senior Saints luncheon and it is on me to explain to them that they are 'too old' to attract new retirees to the group and we need to change our name to remove all vestiges of ageism and redirect our focus and ministry. Sixty is indeed the new 40 and most senior citizens don't see themselves as senior citizens and don't want to be thought of as senior citizens. (We do like the very few perks that come with it of course.)

I am only 64 and feel 94.

Doc called me today and said my cholesterol was WAY over the limit and said he was going to put me on a statin. I said hell no he isn't. So he said put a teaspoon of cinnamon in some yogurt...the cinnamon whacks the bad stuff in half. He said eat cheerios or oatmeal too, with another teaspoon of cinnamon...and there is my pill. I said sure! Anything besides a damn statin!

Adding to Foxfyre's great list of things to do...don't forget NO GLUTEN. That is a major culprit. If you want to snack....munch on Doritos Cool Ranch chips (they are already gluten free), Snyders pretzels in GF packages (I love the honey mustard!) and do at least an hour per day of exercise...even if it means walking around the block.
Ah, yes, but Cool Ranch chips are made with GMO corn. I like that cinnamon idea, I love cinnamon. But I would take a closer look at Cheerios and use regular oatmeal, adding my own goodies (fruits, nuts, honey, etc.)

I am only 64 and feel 94.
So sorry to see that, Gracie!

I think I did too much today. And to me...or rather the me before the me that I am now...I didn't do much. Just painted that damn dresser which I hate with a passion but if I can get 85 bucks for it..I will love it. I used to do 3 dressers per day. Now it kills me to do just one.

If I wasn't so afraid of falling apart on ya..I would be heading to your place this summer to help you get yer chores done. Alas..I am afraid I would be more of a burden than a help. So...I will silently cheer you on that you get all done that needs done!

I forgot about the cinnamon. You're right, that's another dynamite holistic remedy for a lot of uglies. My morning shake consists of the quark (2 parts--6 tbspns--low fat cottage cheese blended with 1 part--3 tbspns--organic unprocessed flaxseed oil. I use a hand held blender wand until no oil is visible--that makes it water soluble so the body can use it 100% effectively.)

It is important to do that step before anything else is added or it will not blend efficiently like it is supposed to.

Then I add a tspn or two of cinnamon, a dash of organic honey, and 2 tblspns of freshly ground flax seed. At this point you can add fresh berries or whatever and eat it as is. As I prefer to drink it, I add enough fruit juice--fresh squeezed is best but economically prohibitive for us. So I use juice from concentrate--little or no sugar--Welch's makes a cucumber watermelon blend that is my favorite. I blend it all with the blender wand until frothy.

Or you can add a fresh apple etc. and blend it with cold water. All sorts of ways to do it.

The shake is all I have for breakfast--provides plenty of nutrients, the great good omega fatty acids, lots of fiber, and enough calories to last me certainly until a light lunch but sometimes all day until dinner.

Strong cancer fighter, helps with RA, osteoarthritis, and all kinds of auto immune conditions like fibromyalgia, MS, mental focus, and of course can help
boost good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol, lower blood pressure. In general does a body good.

Of course it should be supplemented with lots of veggies and other good stuff at other meals--low cal if on a weight loss regime.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back