USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have to watch the fiber thing, myself. Diverticuli and colitis. Wrecks havoc on my lower intestines. I was thinking about dumping some cinnamon in my Kefir.

I think I did too much today. And to me...or rather the me before the me that I am now...I didn't do much. Just painted that damn dresser which I hate with a passion but if I can get 85 bucks for it..I will love it. I used to do 3 dressers per day. Now it kills me to do just one.

If I wasn't so afraid of falling apart on ya..I would be heading to your place this summer to help you get yer chores done. Alas..I am afraid I would be more of a burden than a help. So...I will silently cheer you on that you get all done that needs done!
I don't know about that, Gracie. Can you run the charcoal grill and make sure the coffee is hot and the beer cold? Most important: can you play cribbage?
I do understand about "then" and "now". I was at Cabela's today, looking at replacement costs for some of my high dollar hunting gear. It occurs to me that I haven't used most of it in years, but it has enough value that I'd prefer to keep it for my girls than sell it off. Of course, selling valuable items may become necessary in the future...who knows.
Since my partner is already 65, and the docs have told him it will be about a year before they can evaluate how much disability this ankle break will mean, he may be able to get a bit more SS with a work-related disability. That would be OK because then at least one of us will have the time to work on the "country" place. His accident has thrown a wrench in my plans to get a barn up and move out there this year. I wish I could call him an asshole for that (he is in so many other ways), but no one in their right mind would do to themselves what he did. Seriously, he shattered his ankle into about 5 chunks and lost quite a bit of soft tissue into the bargain. It rather makes my broken foot a few years ago look very, very tame.

Don't know about a charcoal grill....been a long time since I bar b qued anything. Beer kept cold is easy...just toss it outside in your garden since its minus 10 degrees most of the time, isn't it? :lol:
And sorry..I have no clue how to play cribbage but I do know how to play penny poker. We do it with pennies for one reason..nobody gets too pissed off if they win. ;)

My fav? 7 card no peek, last card you pull up is wild to the person on your right. Or left. :lol:

I LOVE playing bones though. Got dominoes?

Did a funeral yesterday for a close family friend and turned around for another one today for my aunt. Pretty tough on my parents. Very tired, but still a little wired too. Feeling some what out of control.

Don't know about a charcoal grill....been a long time since I bar b qued anything. Beer kept cold is easy...just toss it outside in your garden since its minus 10 degrees most of the time, isn't it? :lol:
And sorry..I have no clue how to play cribbage but I do know how to play penny poker. We do it with pennies for one reason..nobody gets too pissed off if they win. ;)

My fav? 7 card no peek, last card you pull up is wild to the person on your right. Or left. :lol:

I LOVE playing bones though. Got dominoes?
I have other friends who can't play cribbage but they will play poker. Yes, we have dominoes. How do you feel about "Uno"? You might have to educate us on some other games you like, we're game up here. Right now, we're in the midst of a long, dry, "hot" spell, weather-wise. They're predicting an early and dangerous wild fire season, too, worse than last year. I need to get hold of a chipper and clear up some of the slash (dried branches, leaves, and other debris). We can't burn it as we usually would, too risky.

Did a funeral yesterday for a close family friend and turned around for another one today for my aunt. Pretty tough on my parents. Very tired, but still a little wired too. Feeling some what out of control.
All things pass in time. I know that seems pretty lame, but we all know it's true. My heart still goes out to you for your loss and the grief that comes with those losses.

Well. I outlasted everyone else by 3 hours. I guess I have an hour and a half left before I head for breakfast and then 6 hours of sleep.
The good news is I'm off til 4 tomorrow and all day Thursday.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Doc called me today and said my cholesterol was WAY over the limit and said he was going to put me on a statin. I said hell no he isn't. So he said put a teaspoon of cinnamon in some yogurt...the cinnamon whacks the bad stuff in half. He said eat cheerios or oatmeal too, with another teaspoon of cinnamon...and there is my pill. I said sure! Anything besides a damn statin!

Adding to Foxfyre's great list of things to do...don't forget NO GLUTEN. That is a major culprit. If you want to snack....munch on Doritos Cool Ranch chips (they are already gluten free), Snyders pretzels in GF packages (I love the honey mustard!) and do at least an hour per day of exercise...even if it means walking around the block.
I take Co-Q 10 and Red Yeast Rice after my doc wanted to put me on statins 3 years ago, quickly dropped my cholesterol down to low normal levels.

So sorry for your losses and tough duty my friend, but you were blessed and blessed them by making the effort. I know that for sure. So now be good to yourself, do something that makes you happy, and wind down.

Doc called me today and said my cholesterol was WAY over the limit and said he was going to put me on a statin. I said hell no he isn't. So he said put a teaspoon of cinnamon in some yogurt...the cinnamon whacks the bad stuff in half. He said eat cheerios or oatmeal too, with another teaspoon of cinnamon...and there is my pill. I said sure! Anything besides a damn statin!

Adding to Foxfyre's great list of things to do...don't forget NO GLUTEN. That is a major culprit. If you want to snack....munch on Doritos Cool Ranch chips (they are already gluten free), Snyders pretzels in GF packages (I love the honey mustard!) and do at least an hour per day of exercise...even if it means walking around the block.
I take Co-Q 10 and Red Yeast Rice after my doc wanted to put me on statins 3 years ago, quickly dropped my cholesterol down to low normal levels.

Yes, that is a good thing too. Whatever works holistically is going to be so much better for us than taking a bunch of medicine. I am of the opinion that all medicine contains some poison and there no such thing as meds with no side effects. But then again, if there is no holistic remedy and the meds help us to function more normally and live better, then the meds too are God's gifts.

I have to watch the fiber thing, myself. Diverticuli and colitis. Wrecks havoc on my lower intestines. I was thinking about dumping some cinnamon in my Kefir.

Well the flax seed is ground to a fine fluffy powder, approximating dryer lint but don't let that comparison put you off. So I don't think that would be an issue for the diverticulosis but not sure about the colitis. Might need to study up on that.

Good morning everybody. Send me some reinforcing vibes today. I am MCing our Senior Saints luncheon and it is on me to explain to them that they are 'too old' to attract new retirees to the group and we need to change our name to remove all vestiges of ageism and redirect our focus and ministry. Sixty is indeed the new 40 and most senior citizens don't see themselves as senior citizens and don't want to be thought of as senior citizens. (We do like the very few perks that come with it of course.)

I don't envy me this task.
I am only 64 and feel 94.

There are days that I'm with you. I think there is no way I should feel like this at my age.

Forum List

Back