USMB Coffee Shop IV

Gizmo, our youngest kitty figured out a while back how to open bi-fold closet doors as well as cabinet doors. He loves to get into the closet or cabinets and go to sleep, I've accidentally closed closet doors with him asleep in there before. That's how I discovered it was him and not the wife leaving the closets open....... :lol:
I had a cat who not only opened cabinet doors, but could break open the pasta boxes and help himself. Loved elbows and spaghetti right from the box.

You can't tell me that they are 'dumb animals' who have no ability to think, reason, and figure things out but are guided purely by instinct. If that was so they would all have the same abilities and the same limitations. But we who have known and studied our fur friends know that is not the case.

Given the time I could bore everyone to death talking about the history of many fabrics, dispelling the myths surrounding the history of "jeans" in the old west, what cow boys (original spelling, not to mention the fact that cow boy was originally a derogatory term) wore and why, style of hats most worn, etc, etc, etc. :D

Found a whole bunch of these in my gr-grandmother's button jar. Are they really old?
d330405399f99c4a909c82df62dc4b77.jpg

They really do look old. I would want to have them looked at by somebody who really knows their stuff. They could be valuable.
Not valuable. Collectors like pretty. They would be worth something to folks like Ringel who want authentic clothing, but you can get a big handful for $10.

You're probably right. I have never looked into old antique clothing and accessories, but these things must be a least somewhat difficult to find these days?
You can get a pretty good gauge on what things sell for on ebay. Just google Old Bone 2 Hole Buttons and click ENDED LISTINGS to see what they actually sold for.

So how is it going for you Gracie? The transition is working out for you?

Found a whole bunch of these in my gr-grandmother's button jar. Are they really old?
d330405399f99c4a909c82df62dc4b77.jpg

They really do look old. I would want to have them looked at by somebody who really knows their stuff. They could be valuable.
Not valuable. Collectors like pretty. They would be worth something to folks like Ringel who want authentic clothing, but you can get a big handful for $10.

You're probably right. I have never looked into old antique clothing and accessories, but these things must be a least somewhat difficult to find these days?
You can get a pretty good gauge on what things sell for on ebay. Just google Old Bone 2 Hole Buttons and click ENDED LISTINGS to see what they actually sold for.

Half yes, half no. Long story and not for a message board. Not sure what we plan to do now. We have a roof, have friends here, but as I wrote about before....things keep changing. What was promised, is not. What was said, has not happened. We are dealing with it the best we can.

Half yes, half no. Long story and not for a message board. Not sure what we plan to do now. We have a roof, have friends here, but as I wrote about before....things keep changing. What was promised, is not. What was said, has not happened. We are dealing with it the best we can.

:( Well we'll just keep praying for the window to open for you. It always does.

Morning all !

Boy this week went by fast for me.
I woke up with the most horrendous cramp on the arch of my left foot. Man that was painful and a very rude awakening. :)

I hope you all have great weekend.

I found a daily magnesium supplement does wonders to keep that kind of experience to a minimum.

Magnesium is a good one, be sure it is readily absorbed by the body.
Calcium helps magnesium uptake, and vice-a-versa.

I still promise warmth and plenty of time to read, play games, build puzzles, etc. Would welcome a green thumb in the spring, certainly. Anyone willing to become part of our "feral" colony would be quite welcome...

Yer sweet, GW. But you are much further away now, and we spent too much to get here. Right now...we are in touch with a lovely gal I met via Zillow..and she and her husband know the place from whence we came and her daughter graduated from our college and loves that area...and we have been chatting via email for 2 days now. We are to meet them next week, cuz they are going to find us an affordable home of our own if possible..and if not..they said they have a lot of friends here in this location AND in Cherry Valley (which I fell in love with on the way here) and perhaps they can find us a rental. So...we are just doing what we can to hang in here until A) we find something we MIGHT be able to buy B) we find something we can rent C) wait until home calls that a unit is ready for us since we are on 3 senior waiting lists.

Tomorrow is an unknown...but we are limited now, financial wise, and have to make due for now anyway.

Lumpy 1 !!!!! So happy to see you. Hope all is well with you and your new career (cough) is working out for you. Seriously so happy you dropped by.

Lady Foxfyre, just seeing your name makes me feel all warm, cozy and welcomed.

Well, I've been busy causing mayhem and some comedy in Politics and the Flame Zone mostly. As far as personal life, little namesake Lumpy (my middle daughters son) is 8 months old, a few surgeries, new home, great family goings on and our new dog Sawyer is the best dog ever. .. that's the short version.

I still love you Sweets, who wouldn't..:smile:

Last edited:
Morning all !

Boy this week went by fast for me.
I woke up with the most horrendous cramp on the arch of my left foot. Man that was painful and a very rude awakening. :)

I hope you all have great weekend.

I found a daily magnesium supplement does wonders to keep that kind of experience to a minimum.

Magnesium is a good one, be sure it is readily absorbed by the body.
Calcium helps magnesium uptake, and vice-a-versa.

I think that I need to explain a little bit more .........
I have always had high arches, so my parents had to get shoes that had arch supports in them. Rather expensive back in the 50's and 60's, even my tennis shoes had them built in.

When I was in school and we used the gymnastics equipment, like the parallel bars, the horse, the high jump and so on, I had to land on the balls of my feet when I dismounted on to the mats. Every once in a while I would land on the whole foot. Then the shock would go through my arches and it was extremely painful. After the shock I was abel to walk away and no pain at all. It was very embarrassing for me. This only happened about four times out of all those years of gym classes.
When I saw the movie- Mel Brooks Frankenstein in 1974, I named my arches Abby Normal. :biggrin:

Then after high school I started wearing 3 to 4 inch high heals. Thus my weight was still on the balls of my feet.
I stopped wearing heels about 20 years ago.
So when I forgot my step and used the balls of my feet all day and all night when I used the toilet, one of my Abby Normals said she did not want to support my weight on the balls of my feet any longer they had done enough and wanted to remain retired. :lol:

Thus the phrase - just not used to my weight being on the balls of my feet.

Last edited:

Lumpy 1 !!!!! So happy to see you. Hope all is well with you and your new career (cough) is working out for you. Seriously so happy you dropped by.

Lady Foxfyre, just seeing your name makes me feel all warm, cozy and welcomed.

Well, I've been busy causing mayhem and some comedy in Politics and the Flame Zone mostly. As far as personal life, little namesake Lumpy (my middle daughters son) is 8 months old, a few surgeries, new home, great family goings on and our new dog Sawyer is the best dog ever. .. that's the short version.

I still love you Sweets, who wouldn't..:smile:

Aw thanks Sweetums. :) Hope you will drop in here more often. Congrats on the new home if that is what you wanted. Hope all the surgeries went according to plan with good results. And is that Sawyer in your avatar?

Bucs/Rams game suspended due to lightning with 2 minutes left, Rams up by 5......what's going to happen to my fantasy teams? :p

Mine pretty well crashed and burned yesterday. :(

So far I've lost 2, won 2, and have 3 leagues still up in the air pending tonight's game. Considering I was looking bad in almost every one after the 1:00 games, not that bad. :lol:

Good morning everybody. I slept in for the second day in a row and am beginning to feel normal again. After the incident with an excruciating dental infection plus the funeral, I was more exhausted than I knew. But things are returning to normal again. Going to take Aunt Betty and Cousin L (Uncle Ed's neice and last living relative) to lunch today. Cousin L was a godsend through all that--Aunt Betty was a registered nurse but she will be ninety years old in four days. Cousin L moved here this past year to be closer to Uncle Ed--she is also a registered nurse with much more stamina and energy and that allowed us to keep Uncle Ed at home which is what he wanted and Aunt Betty wanted. I have just though so many times the little miracles that happen in our lives. And no longer think they are all coincidental.

Anyhow, hope everybody is looking forward to a good week. I just realized I'm sitting here shivering. It is getting cold at night now and is chilly in the mornings until it warms up to the low to mid 70's in the afternoon. It is definitely autumn in New Mexico.

Good morning everybody. I slept in for the second day in a row and am beginning to feel normal again. After the incident with an excruciating dental infection plus the funeral, I was more exhausted than I knew. But things are returning to normal again. Going to take Aunt Betty and Cousin L (Uncle Ed's neice and last living relative) to lunch today. Cousin L was a godsend through all that--Aunt Betty was a registered nurse but she will be ninety years old in four days. Cousin L moved here this past year to be closer to Uncle Ed--she is also a registered nurse with much more stamina and energy and that allowed us to keep Uncle Ed at home which is what he wanted and Aunt Betty wanted. I have just though so many times the little miracles that happen in our lives. And no longer think they are all coincidental.

Anyhow, hope everybody is looking forward to a good week. I just realized I'm sitting here shivering. It is getting cold at night now and is chilly in the mornings until it warms up to the low to mid 70's in the afternoon. It is definitely autumn in New Mexico.
Good to see you had lots of help. :thup:

It's overcast in the mid 60s here with a little breeze, we slept with the windows open and an extra blanket on the bed. I may have to put sweats on.........

The local Rotarians sponsored Oktoberfest at Thompson Park this past Saturday. They had a great turnout and a picture perfect late September day. Clear, sunny (for once) and crisp, about 500 folks came to sing about no beer in heaven, eat bratwurst and some decidedly non-Teutonic favorites like gyros and cotton candy.

There was a polka band playing, a rock climbing wall, candidates to meet, a horse-drawn wagon ferrying happy people around the park, and a little gasoline "train" for the wee bairn.

Daisy the Mutt was in her element. Plenty of kids to adore her, mixed with the occasional misplaced french fry to scarf up. One of the Rotary organizers complimented me on her bahavior. "She's so nice! She follows you closely and doesn't jump up on people."

"Thanks!" I replied "But you see Daisy is a French Poodle. At Ocktoberfest, I expect her to stay true to her French heritage and spend the day surrendering"

Last edited:
Busy weekend, youngest daughter was in town for college homecoming. I drove a truck in the parade. We saw the football game together and home team won. Oldest daughter brought her husband and grandkids down for the start of fair. Harper was very happy to see me.

Removed 540 pavers and loaded them into the trailer. Unloaded them and stacked them Sunday. A few hundred left to go. Cured Peach of her toilet phobia. All in all a good weekend.

Forum List

Back