USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have read quite a few books on historical dress, from Victorian, to US history of the Colonial era.
I'm more informed on Victorian than Colonial though, but I still know a tiny bit of it, not like Ringel does with the Civil War. :)
My clothing expertise runs from the early colonial era up through the late 1800s and (to some degree) the early 1900s, I even have a good working knowledge of WWII era clothing.
Given the time I could bore everyone to death talking about the history of many fabrics, dispelling the myths surrounding the history of "jeans" in the old west, what cow boys (original spelling, not to mention the fact that cow boy was originally a derogatory term) wore and why, style of hats most worn, etc, etc, etc. :D

Found a whole bunch of these in my gr-grandmother's button jar. Are they really old?
d330405399f99c4a909c82df62dc4b77.jpg
Obviously I could most likely identify what they're made of if I was holding one but from the picture they look like they're possibly bone. They could be very old (1700s - 1800s) or they could be early 1900s as bone was still being used to make cheap buttons. Heck bone is still being used today but the style is different, more "polished" besides bone is more expensive these days as most buttons are made from cheap plastics.

I agree with you, but a few look to be maybe wood, they used wood as well as bone for buttons back then.
Wood buttons have been around for quite a while and yes, some look like they could be wooden. Back in the seventeen and eighteen hundreds wood buttons were often covered in silk, buttons were a kind of status symbol.

An up and down soccer game today. It was a 1-1 tie after the first quarter. In the second quarter, our best offensive player was in goal, and she played it a lot like she was still on offense : running up to try and kick the ball instead of jumping on it or getting her whole body in front of it, the other team beat us 4-0 in the second. In the third quarter the little one sat for most of the time because she was hot and tired. The girl who took over in goal played great, and the little one came in for a hurt player for a while. Then the little one played goal in the last quarter and she was awesome. She let in 1 goal, but that was because she was getting confusing instruction and got out of position trying to follow it. Otherwise she stopped a bunch of chances for the other team.

It was actually a pretty good game for us. Our team had 6 players and the games are 5v5, while the other team had 9 or 10 players. They got to substitute a lot and give people a rest, all of our girls had to play in the hot sun for almost the whole game. When you add in that one of our girls doesn't really play much - she sort of wanders around a little and only tries to do anything if the ball ends up right by her - it was a good job by the team. While the little one was in goal, we basically only had 1 player on offense and we almost scored a couple of times, while only giving up the 1 goal.

I wish the weather would cool down! We have another 11:30 game next weekend. :blowup:

I have read quite a few books on historical dress, from Victorian, to US history of the Colonial era.
I'm more informed on Victorian than Colonial though, but I still know a tiny bit of it, not like Ringel does with the Civil War. :)
My clothing expertise runs from the early colonial era up through the late 1800s and (to some degree) the early 1900s, I even have a good working knowledge of WWII era clothing.
Given the time I could bore everyone to death talking about the history of many fabrics, dispelling the myths surrounding the history of "jeans" in the old west, what cow boys (original spelling, not to mention the fact that cow boy was originally a derogatory term) wore and why, style of hats most worn, etc, etc, etc. :D

Found a whole bunch of these in my gr-grandmother's button jar. Are they really old?

They really do look old. I would want to have them looked at by somebody who really knows their stuff. They could be valuable.

Mine has always been US history starting when I about 10 years old, I would walk to our library every weekend and check out books to read for each week.
My love of history started in senior high but didn't really take off until I went to college, it wasn't until I was introduced to reenacting that it became a full fledged love affair. For about the first ten years the wife was just as involved as I was but she eventually dropped out due to the backstabbing politics inherent where groups of people are involved. I continued going on average three weekends out of every month which ultimately lead to some serious friction at home, we eventually worked that out.

Maybe that's why we all get along so well. I have had a lifelong passion for interesting history and now write historical curriculum.

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition and their Moki,
Montrovant's transition,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

252995__rainbow-in-autumn_p.jpg

Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

Beautiful. Getting to be that time of the year.

Looks like bone to me. The two holers are older. Then again, lots of apparel is made with bone or tusk buttons..especially from the far east.

Looks like bone to me. The two holers are older. Then again, lots of apparel is made with bone or tusk buttons..especially from the far east.
Bone is not uncommon everywhere and yes two holers are older, four and five holers did exist in the 17 and 18 hundreds but that was pretty rare from what I've been able to determine.
I thought wood at first but I can see no obvious grain lines and the color is wrong, especially for aged wood.

Little tidbit of history.......

Jacob Davis, a Latvian born tailor living in Reno, Nevada invented the pants we now call blue jeans.......
Levi Strauss invented blue jeans.........
Uuummmmm........ :eusa_whistle:

Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,

Double edged sword. Here it's the end of monsoon season so everything is in bloom and our allergen levels are at or near 10 (almost the highest number on the allergen scale), I feel like I've been walking around in a dense fog carrying lead weights draped over my body for days.

Obviously I could most likely identify what they're made of if I was holding one but from the picture they look like they're possibly bone. They could be very old (1700s - 1800s) or they could be early 1900s as bone was still being used to make cheap buttons. Heck bone is still being used today but the style is different, more "polished" besides bone is more expensive these days as most buttons are made from cheap plastics.

I agree with you, but a few look to be maybe wood, they used wood as well as bone for buttons back then.
Ours were bone. The ones with the really large two holes. Made for a large needle? Or because the machinery wasn't refined enough to make smaller holes? Who knows. My gr-gram never got rid of a piece of clothing without removing and saving every button, snap or hook and eye. And the ones that didn't get reused ended up in her wonderful button jar for a long, long time. Her brother's civil war uniform buttons were in there, too.

They really do look old. I would want to have them looked at by somebody who really knows their stuff. They could be valuable.
Not valuable. Collectors like pretty. They would be worth something to folks like Ringel who want authentic clothing, but you can get a big handful for $10.

Not valuable. Collectors like pretty. They would be worth something to folks like Ringel who want authentic clothing, but you can get a big handful for $10.

You're probably right. I have never looked into old antique clothing and accessories, but these things must be a least somewhat difficult to find these days?

Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,

Double edged sword. Here it's the end of monsoon season so everything is in bloom and our allergen levels are at or near 10 (almost the highest number on the allergen scale), I feel like I've been walking around in a dense fog carrying lead weights draped over my body for days.

Get you some regional honey dear. A daily dose or two of that has done wonders for my allergies. I rarely even sneeze any more.

Yup, the "expensive" buttons are typically the old silver and gold filigree (fancy) buttons still one can spend almost 2$ a button on pewter or brass stem buttons, one (modern) Rev War merchant has flat and domed German silver buttons for almost 2$ a piece. I just bought eleven horn buttons from them at .70 cents apiece.

Gizmo, our youngest kitty figured out a while back how to open bi-fold closet doors as well as cabinet doors. He loves to get into the closet or cabinets and go to sleep, I've accidentally closed closet doors with him asleep in there before. That's how I discovered it was him and not the wife leaving the closets open....... :lol:

Just went out back and looked southwest, a huge, billowing plume of black smoke is coming up from the west side (other side of the Franklin Mountains), probably a structure fire.

Gizmo, our youngest kitty figured out a while back how to open bi-fold closet doors as well as cabinet doors. He loves to get into the closet or cabinets and go to sleep, I've accidentally closed closet doors with him asleep in there before. That's how I discovered it was him and not the wife leaving the closets open....... :lol:
I had a cat who not only opened cabinet doors, but could break open the pasta boxes and help himself. Loved elbows and spaghetti right from the box.

Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,

In the north and for those of us at much higher elevations, it is already that time of year.

You're probably right. I have never looked into old antique clothing and accessories, but these things must be a least somewhat difficult to find these days?
You can get a pretty good gauge on what things sell for on ebay. Just google Old Bone 2 Hole Buttons and click ENDED LISTINGS to see what they actually sold for.

Forum List

Back