USMB Coffee Shop IV

That's why I call them trogs :)
I'm getting to the point where I might have to start using words like.... see Jane run , run Jane run. :)
The simple question was; Is there any man's coat that was similar to the Sack Coat in the early 1800s (1800 through 1840). This is a late 1840s through 1870s Sack Coat, approximately the length of modern day suit coats;

il_570xN.508629404_ptsb.jpg

The responses I'm receiving are;

1700s Frock Coat;

1780circa_frock_John_Musters_NGA_crop.jpg

1700s sleeved Waist Coat;

0f8cb503cb38c3da24ea93093471e590.jpg

1800s "roundabout" (Shell Jacket which only comes down to the waist);
9c34ee10b12ae15426f802a0ccc600c9.jpg

And a few others......., none of which are even remotely similar to the Sack Coat.........
I'm getting to the point where I might have to start using words like.... see Jane run , run Jane run. :)
The simple question was; Is there any man's coat that was similar to the Sack Coat in the early 1800s (1800 through 1840). This is a late 1840s through 1870s Sack Coat, approximately the length of modern day suit coats;

1700s Frock Coat;

And a few others......., none of which are even remotely similar to the Sack Coat.........

How hilarious!
:lmao:
Not to mention many of these people are well educated, very knowledgeable historians.....

At least that is what they want you to think. I encounter folks all the time who claim to have all these fancy credentials, but sooner or later they let you know they don't have a clue about whatever is being discussed. Now you, I would take as one who is as close to an expert on the Empire and Victorian era clothing as I know. Save is my go to guy on landscaping issues, etc. But there are no doubt folks who would be absolutely certain you two were total morons on the subject.

And even that would be over the head of a few folks I've encountered recently.

Yeah I noticed that by many people, over the past year or so, well educated or not. They all have seemed to put there brains in neutral or idol,just enough so that they can function and go to work. Everything else seems to be too much for them

I have read quite a few books on historical dress, from Victorian, to US history of the Colonial era.
I'm more informed on Victorian than Colonial though, but I still know a tiny bit of it, not like Ringel does with the Civil War. :)

Last edited:

1700s Frock Coat;

1700s Frock Coat;

How hilarious!
:lmao:
Not to mention many of these people are well educated, very knowledgeable historians.....

At least that is what they want you to think. I encounter folks all the time who claim to have all these fancy credentials, but sooner or later they let you know they don't have a clue about whatever is being discussed. Now you, I would take as one who is as close to an expert on the Empire and Victorian era clothing as I know. Save is my go to guy on landscaping issues, etc. But there are no doubt folks who would be absolutely certain you two were total morons on the subject.
It's most likely the common habit of reading into (coming to the question with preconceived ideas) instead of actually reading the question.
It may also be that I used the word similar and some are clueless as to what that word means or again are reading into. Example; all those coats have similar features i.e. most have linings, pockets and collars but not a single one is similar in appearance. There are those who also seriously over think a question. I was looking for a simple yes or no and if yes I wanted descriptions, pictures. I find it simply mind boggling........... :dunno:

Now I'm (on the other forum) being accused of moving the goal posts........ Proof that even knowledgeable people can be horribly obtuse.

I have read quite a few books on historical dress, from Victorian, to US history of the Colonial era.
I'm more informed on Victorian than Colonial though, but I still know a tiny bit of it, not like Ringel does with the Civil War. :)
My clothing expertise runs from the early colonial era up through the late 1800s and (to some degree) the early 1900s, I even have a good working knowledge of WWII era clothing.

Well I've been receiving honest responses to my question as some attempt to answer the question with reasonable suggestions. It's possible on of the guys may have figured out what type of coat I'm asking about, hopefully he can come up with some pictures. :thup:

The only thing I've found is this one labeled 1860 sack coat:

fff856c2ca3522ae7969d6b4a79cf072.jpg
The cut of the jacket is correct for a sack coat (circa 1870s, 1880s), looking at the fabric (denim), cut of the vest and the pant's style/fabric that's most likely a 1920s, 1930s working man's outfit.

Last edited:
My clothing expertise runs from the early colonial era up through the late 1800s and (to some degree) the early 1900s, I even have a good working knowledge of WWII era clothing.
Given the time I could bore everyone to death talking about the history of many fabrics, dispelling the myths surrounding the history of "jeans" in the old west, what cow boys (original spelling, not to mention the fact that cow boy was originally a derogatory term) wore and why, style of hats most worn, etc, etc, etc. :D

Last edited:
Given the time I could bore everyone to death talking about the history of many fabrics, dispelling the myths surrounding the history of "jeans" in the old west, what cow boys (original spelling, not to mention the fact that cow boy was originally a derogatory term) wore and why, style of hats most worn, etc, etc, etc. :D

Found a whole bunch of these in my gr-grandmother's button jar. Are they really old?
d330405399f99c4a909c82df62dc4b77.jpg

Found a whole bunch of these in my gr-grandmother's button jar. Are they really old?
Obviously I could most likely identify what they're made of if I was holding one but from the picture they look like they're possibly bone. They could be very old (1700s - 1800s) or they could be early 1900s as bone was still being used to make cheap buttons. Heck bone is still being used today but the style is different, more "polished" besides bone is more expensive these days as most buttons are made from cheap plastics.

Wow!
We have something in common.
I also know about the very same things as you mentioned.
I am truly blowen away by it,there does not seem to be very many of us out there in numbers who are fascinated by these subjects and can't seem to get enough of it. :biggrin:

Wow!
We have something in common.
I also know about the very same things as you mentioned.
I am truly blowen away by it,there does not seem to be very many of us out there in numbers who are fascinated by these subjects and can't seem to get enough of it. :biggrin:
Most of my research is due to my reenacting, living history passion attempting to be as correct as possible. Of course it doesn't hurt that I have a passion for historical detail. :D

Mine has always been US history starting when I about 10 years old, I would walk to our library every weekend and check out books to read for each week.

Obviously I could most likely identify what they're made of if I was holding one but from the picture they look like they're possibly bone. They could be very old (1700s - 1800s) or they could be early 1900s as bone was still being used to make cheap buttons. Heck bone is still being used today but the style is different, more "polished" besides bone is more expensive these days as most buttons are made from cheap plastics.

I agree with you, but a few look to be maybe wood, they used wood as well as bone for buttons back then.

Mine has always been US history starting when I about 10 years old, I would walk to our library every weekend and check out books to read for each week.
My love of history started in senior high but didn't really take off until I went to college, it wasn't until I was introduced to reenacting that it became a full fledged love affair. For about the first ten years the wife was just as involved as I was but she eventually dropped out due to the backstabbing politics inherent where groups of people are involved. I continued going on average three weekends out of every month which ultimately lead to some serious friction at home, we eventually worked that out.

Forum List

Back