USMB Coffee Shop IV

He doesn't have one of these?

23312d911e24e0efda25c9cc73aea18b.jpg

No!
He would go to war with it.
That's something foreign and he needs to defend his territory. :lmao:

Again we need to be reminded that many creatures that we don't think of as sentient beings actually are. I am reminded of the scene in "The China Syndrome" in which the reporter comes home after a trying day and is greeted by her large turtle who comes to her as she enters the door. She picks him up and carries him around for a bit which he seemed to enjoy.

No!

Again we need to be reminded that many creatures that we don't think of as sentient beings actually are. I am reminded of the scene in "The China Syndrome" in which the reporter comes home after a trying day and is greeted by her large turtle who comes to her as she enters the door. She picks him up and carries him around for a bit which he seemed to enjoy.

I just wish I would have thought about doing a short video of his rant on my cell phone, then you all could have heard how loud he was and the angry look he had on his face. It was hilarious.
But then in after tought it would have taken me awhile to learn how to upload it to here. :redface:

No!

Yes they love being carried around the house.
Mine loves it when I hold him up to look into the backyeard. He is fascinated with the humming birds.

Another case of how Daisy the Mutt regularly vacuums my wallet. Today is the 15th of the month which means it's time for her monthly doses of heartworm and anti-flea medication. Of course I was fresh out of the Frontline flea treatment.

A trip to the vet and $50 later...

Last month was the groomer, the month before was her annual veterinarian check up. Next month, the groomer again so she can look spectacular for the holidays. January means dog tags and license.

I should train her to be of service. Sled dog. Bomb sniffing dog. Seeing eye dog. When she was a pup, I had to keep her on the leash during our daily walks. If the walk way was icy, she would pull as I slid along. I often thought of shouting "On you Huskies!" in the spirit of Jack London. But such a call would raise eyebrows given she is a miniature poodle.

But, at a slim 13 pounds, she isn't qualified to do any of those important and potentially dangerous tasks. I've considered having her become a therapy dog. But to certify her as such means training and that's yet another opportunity for Daisy the Mutt to clean out my wallet.

She will have to be content to sleep 18 hours a day on a cushion the size of a toilet seat. And I'll have to be content paying her considerable way.

Another case of how Daisy the Mutt regularly vacuums my wallet. Today is the 15th of the month which means it's time for her monthly doses of heartworm and anti-flea medication. Of course I was fresh out of the Frontline flea treatment.

Last month was the groomer, the month before was her annual veterinarian check up. Next month, the groomer again so she can look spectacular for the holidays. January means dog tags and license.

I should train her to be of service. Sled dog. Bomb sniffing dog. Seeing eye dog. When she was a pup, I had to keep her on the leash during our daily walks. If the walk way was icy, she would pull as I slid along. I often thought of shouting "On you Huskies!" in the spirit of Jack London. But such a call would raise eyebrows given she is a miniature poodle.

But, at a slim 13 pounds, she isn't qualified to do any of those important and potentially dangerous tasks. I've considered having her become a therapy dog. But to certify her as such means training and that's yet another opportunity for Daisy the Mutt to clean out my wallet.

She will have to be content to sleep 18 hours a day on a cushion the size of a toilet seat. And I'll have to be content paying her considerable way.

Which is precisely why Hombre and I are dogless these days. There are such rigid rules about it in the Albuquerque metro area--the dog must be microchipped, and unless you intend to breed him/her--for which there is a very hefty fee required for the privilege--you must have him or her spayed or face a huge penalty at licensing time. And of course there are the requisite rabies vaccination and licensing, and as you pointed out the responsible duty to protect from heart worm and pests, proper grooming, and trips to the vet for any illness or injury that will cost more than it ever cost me for my kids. And if we have no one to leave a pet with, we must pay exhorbitant fees at the Canine Country Club to board them as that is the only place we trust with our beloveds.

When we were keeping the mini dachshund, Carly, which will will do again next month, she developed an aggravating itch that the vet diagnosed as allergy and prescribed some teensy little pills that she was to get twice a day. Those pills cost $1/each or $50 for 25 days of treatment.

In short, as two aging retirees on a limited retirement income, we simply can't afford it. So we do a lot of dog sitting for friends and family and these become our dogs too. We get to enjoy them, play with them, spoil them, etc. and their owners pay all the bills. And it is good. :)

No!

I just wish I would have thought about doing a short video of his rant on my cell phone, then you all could have heard how loud he was and the angry look he had on his face. It was hilarious.
But then in after tought it would have taken me awhile to learn how to upload it to here. :redface:

Probably we have all seen the youtube video of the large tortoise that was on his back and unable to right himself. His friend, another tortoise, worked and worked to get him turned over and finally accomplished it. It was absolutely deliberate. These creatures feel, and think.

Oh found it:

The video of the rescue that follows of a humpback whale is educational too.

Last edited:

Which is precisely why Hombre and I are dogless these days. There are such rigid rules about it in the Albuquerque metro area--the dog must be microchipped, and unless you intend to breed him/her--for which there is a very hefty fee required for the privilege--you must have him or her spayed or face a huge penalty at licensing time. And of course there are the requisite rabies vaccination and licensing, and as you pointed out the responsible duty to protect from heart worm and pests, proper grooming, and trips to the vet for any illness or injury that will cost more than it ever cost me for my kids. And if we have no one to leave a pet with, we must pay exhorbitant fees at the Canine Country Club to board them as that is the only place we trust with our beloveds.

When we were keeping the mini dachshund, Carly, which will will do again next month, she developed an aggravating itch that the vet diagnosed as allergy and prescribed some teensy little pills that she was to get twice a day. Those pills cost $1/each or $50 for 25 days of treatment.

In short, as two aging retirees on a limited retirement income, we simply can't afford it. So we do a lot of dog sitting for friends and family and these become our dogs too. We get to enjoy them, play with them, spoil them, etc. and their owners pay all the bills. And it is good. :)
That's the song Grandparents sing! Enjoy the kids without the bills. So, parenting and dog ownership are a young person's game. You need your wind, your wheels and deep pockets.

A tortoise goes into a police station. The poor thing is exhausted and panicked. He complained to the desk sergeant "I was in the park and got mugged by a gang of snails!"

The sergeant replies, "Calm down! Can you tell me exactly what happened?"

"I don't know" replied the tortoise. "It all happened so fast!"

No!

Probably we have all seen the youtube video of the large tortoise that was on his back and unable to right himself. His friend, another tortoise, worked and worked to get him turned over and finally accomplished it. It was absolutely deliberate. These creatures feel, and think.

Oh found it:

Thats really sweet.:)
But they are desert tortoises. They are much more in the gental nature of turtles and yes they do help each other when in trouble.

But Mikey is a water turtle- a red eared slider. They are all over in our swamps like Louisiana
They are mean, aggressive, and territorial, he would fight another turtle especially if another male was put in his habitat.
Its run or kill in their world because crocs love to eat them.

No!

Oh found it:

But they are desert tortoises. They are much more in the gental nature of turtles and yes they do help each other when in trouble.

But Mikey is a water turtle- a red eared slider. They are all over in our swamps like Louisiana
They are mean, aggressive, and territorial, he would fight another turtle especially if another male was put in his habitat.

Do you have a lot of swamps or crocs in southeast Arizona??????? Or you were just using that for a comparison. :)

No!

Oh found it:

Do you have a lot of swamps or crocs in southeast Arizona??????? Or you were just using that for a comparison. :)

I was refering to their wild natural habitat. :)
Not Mikey's.

No!

Oh found it:

Sand swamps and sand crocs.........

Okay the wife had a phone screening today, phone interview tomorrow and another Thursday. The last two are for Tuscon the one today was for of all places....... Lubbock TX...... And they seemed to really like her....... Great..... Lubbock....... :doubt:

Forum List

Back