USMB Coffee Shop IV

Out of the slump. Finally. Both of us falling was not good and pretty scarey. A lot of truths hit us..Things we never expected. It has been extremely rude awakenings.
However, we are 75% sure we will be moving up north in February..Anywhere from the 8th to the 15th. Getting all medical and dental needs done because once we leave, I will not have coverage unless I drive 12 hours round trip just for a doc appt and keep my mouth shut that we moved. Which is waht I will probably do. Go there, move in, a d give it a month to see if all is as it's supposed to be.

Day by day. That's the plan.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

It does feel good to step out of the darkness doesn't it. (Been there done that.)

But aren't you staying in California? Why would you not have the same medical coverage in the new place?

It does feel good to step out of the darkness doesn't it. (Been there done that.)

But aren't you staying in California? Why would you not have the same medical coverage in the new place?

Sounded like California has regional programs.

C2SdBTTXUAE7ip1.jpg

A handful of lovely birds.

Twice a year it gets bad in January and July from moonsoons.
Look for higher grounds for a house ,away from the main washes and have 4 wheel drive and your good.:)
If you don't have 4wheel drive like us you aren't going anywhere till the next day. :biggrin:
I've lived out west long enough to know about arroyos and flat land flooding that accompany the monsoons and I do have a 4 wheel drive Ram truck so that wouldn't be much of an issue. My concerns are primarily, water, sewer, electric/gas and cable/internet access.

If you are buying land to put up a home then you need concern yourself with it.
Most any of the outside areas around Tucson and Phx. all have wells with septics, no cabel but internet access.
Everyonee who lives in rural areas has to get Dish, Direct TV or Hughes dish. Thats about it for choices.
No, not looking to put up a house, 10 to 20 years ago no problem, even 5 years ago I probably could have done it but why build when I can get an existing structure (in fair to good shape) cheaper. We eventually will sit down with a real estate agent, cover everything we're looking for and go from there, REOs are a good possibility even considered auctions but auctions can be tricky at best.

Then like you said where your looking they have all of things you asked about.
Not sure exactly what you wanted to know about the water and others you asked about.
Im so confused!!! :lol:
Some of the ones we looked at are near Tucson but the roads are all dirt, one plus acre sites but I don't know if they're on city water/sewer or wells and septic, if they have cable and gas or use propane. We will find that out when we talk to someone up there.
We are still looking in New Mexico, found a nice one on 1.25 acres up in Alto (between Ruidoso and Capitan), has all the city amenities even though it's not in the city.

Now there is a HUGE difference between the alpine environment of Ruidoso/Alto and the desert environment of southeast Arizona. And pros and cons to both. I wouldn't dare advise other than to be sure before you choose.

Sounded like California has regional programs.

I read up on it and each county is responsible for enrolling people in Medi-cal, but I don't see where there would be any problem in doing that in a new place. Of course the Gracies would not want to give up their current county until they are SURE they like the new place and will stay, and as Gracie said, there is a daunting six hour drive to get back to their current county and doctors--California is a BIG state.

But I am sure their current plan would cover an E.R. or urgent care visit in a medical emergency--they would just be 'visiting' in their new home.

At least I think that is how it works. Gracie is no doubt much more up on it than I am.

I've lived out west long enough to know about arroyos and flat land flooding that accompany the monsoons and I do have a 4 wheel drive Ram truck so that wouldn't be much of an issue. My concerns are primarily, water, sewer, electric/gas and cable/internet access.

Most any of the outside areas around Tucson and Phx. all have wells with septics, no cabel but internet access.
Everyonee who lives in rural areas has to get Dish, Direct TV or Hughes dish. Thats about it for choices.
No, not looking to put up a house, 10 to 20 years ago no problem, even 5 years ago I probably could have done it but why build when I can get an existing structure (in fair to good shape) cheaper. We eventually will sit down with a real estate agent, cover everything we're looking for and go from there, REOs are a good possibility even considered auctions but auctions can be tricky at best.

Not sure exactly what you wanted to know about the water and others you asked about.
Some of the ones we looked at are near Tucson but the roads are all dirt, one plus acre sites but I don't know if they're on city water/sewer or wells and septic, if they have cable and gas or use propane. We will find that out when we talk to someone up there.
We are still looking in New Mexico, found a nice one on 1.25 acres up in Alto (between Ruidoso and Capitan), has all the city amenities even though it's not in the city.

Now there is a HUGE difference between the alpine environment of Ruidoso/Alto and the desert environment of southeast Arizona. And pros and cons to both. I wouldn't dare advise other than to be sure before you choose.
We're still looking all over between Arizona and New Mexico, just looked at a couple of nice ones in Espanola.

We're still looking all over between Arizona and New Mexico, just looked at a couple of nice ones in Espanola.

Initial gut reaction, I would not choose Espanola. There are social dynamics there that could be problematic. I don't know how it is now, but in the past was known as a mean town with an unusually high crime rate for a small town, especially in thefts and assaults. Unless you were fluent in Spanish, you could have difficulty even communicating with some folks there and 'gringos' were often viewed with suspicion and/or become targets.

Espanola is known as the 'low rider capital of the world' and nobody has ever challenged them for the title. When my niece and her family lived there for awhile some years ago, she said she became very afraid of the low riders associated with gang and drug activity and they eventually left because it was never comfortable for them there. I always watched my back a lot more when I was working there at times.

I think that is not so much the case now but it is still known as a tough and sometimes mean little town. And I could also be doing it a huge disservice with that impression of it. Further north at Taos or south to Santa Fe, both really weird at times, you don't have that dynamic so much. Here in Albuquerque or down the I-25 corridor or the Ruidoso/Alto area, not at all.

Last edited:
My teeth are ugly.
Losing a lot of enamel now. I try to keep hygiene proper but it's hard being homeless and using only bottled water in an RV. I don't want to smile anymore. Ugly.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

I remember my milk teeth problems from childhood - it was terrible... And, it's strange, my returns from dental clinic strongly associated with funerals of another Soviet leader of "five-years of magnificent funerals" ;)))) Now my son have the same problems with teeths, and it's terrible again...
How old is your son? Do you have any other children?

My elder son is 7 years old and he visit 1st grade of school every day. It's hard for him to awake at 7 o'clock, especially during winter, but I think some years later it would become a habit, like with me...

Also have two twin sons of 2.5 years - they still not visit childgarden, maybe some months later... :)
2.5 yrs old?! They are better spending time with family. 7 yrs, children really enjoy new experiences with other children.
My granddaughters are 14 and 16 years old this year.

Not an easy age for girls :)

We must both be movie junkies, Sbiker. Only a fellow movie nut would respond "WOW!"

I've built up quite a collection of classic movies on DVD, just in time for such a collection to become obsolete due to youtube and streaming services. But what you don't get in formats other than DVD are the special features sections. Short documentaries on the 'making of' and other interesting minutia.

Warner Studios packages something they call 'Warner Night at the Movies'. It's great! They have a short documentary, a news reel of the news that happened the week of the feature film's premier, a cartoon, coming attractions and then the feature film. It's just like going to the theater fifty or sixty or seventy years ago.

Add me to your movie junkies club, but for me there aren't very many 21st century movies that I really appreciate. I much prefer those that are or will soon be classics and even among those, I'm picky.

What sort of movies do you prefer? Habe you seen, for example, "Master and Commander"? What do you think about it? :)

I have seen it, and I think it pretty good for what it is, but I prefer more joy or humor and less blood and gore in my movies.

I very like it, because it's an awesome reconstruction. I'm interesting in different periods of history, took part in historical reconstruction - and looking all historic films through this knowledges... The quantity of movies with good material reconstruction is so few...

About humorous films... There are a lot of Soviet classic comedies, you have to see. For example this - without speech, about Soviet bootleggers :))

"Master and Commander" was a very good movie, IMHO, good historical perspective.

Yes, I like it for the quality of surroundings. I also like "Kingdom of Heavens" and new Russian movie "28 Panfilov's men" for the same quality.

We must both be movie junkies, Sbiker. Only a fellow movie nut would respond "WOW!"

I've built up quite a collection of classic movies on DVD, just in time for such a collection to become obsolete due to youtube and streaming services. But what you don't get in formats other than DVD are the special features sections. Short documentaries on the 'making of' and other interesting minutia.

Warner Studios packages something they call 'Warner Night at the Movies'. It's great! They have a short documentary, a news reel of the news that happened the week of the feature film's premier, a cartoon, coming attractions and then the feature film. It's just like going to the theater fifty or sixty or seventy years ago.

Add me to your movie junkies club, but for me there aren't very many 21st century movies that I really appreciate. I much prefer those that are or will soon be classics and even among those, I'm picky.

What sort of movies do you prefer? Habe you seen, for example, "Master and Commander"? What do you think about it? :)

I have seen it, and I think it pretty good for what it is, but I prefer more joy or humor and less blood and gore in my movies.

I very like it, because it's an awesome reconstruction. I'm interesting in different periods of history, took part in historical reconstruction - and looking all historic films through this knowledges... The quantity of movies with good material reconstruction is so few...

About humorous films... There are a lot of Soviet classic comedies, you have to see. For example this - without speech, about Soviet bootleggers :))

OK, that was pretty funny, and it looked a lot like Alaska in many ways. Except now, they'd have marijuana instead of vodka (little water).

:))) Marijuana it's a drug of East. But in Soviet time rural people used hemp to make ropes, not to smoke USSR kept all sides of drugs and info about it outside the borders...So, it was time for more traditional ways to damage own health... :))

Wow ! I just watched 'Game of thrones' series six ,episodes 9 and 10. There was sure a lot of action and some extreme battle scenes. Now I have to wait months for series 7, the final series to come out and I am expecting some extreme spectacle, as it draws to its conclusion.

Yeah, it's a good series. I've read all books of Martin and had an experience of LRPG in this world. Series have some differences from books, so it very interesting to see..

Speaking of USMB Coffee Shoppe, I think I shall brew up a small pot of coffee now to warm up with. We have several feet of snow now here in the Rocky Mountains.

Featured today are the Cheeseheads vs Dallas then later the Steel Curtain vs KC.

We have a lot of snow, and I'm drinking hot tea before sleeping, because, it seems, I have a flu :)

Talked to hubbie on the phone this morning, he sounds real good. :)
He loves being able to walk around.
It's rainy here like Foxfyre said and we live on dirt roads so we decided I won't go up to see him today.
They are moving him this morning, so he will call me later today when he knows his new room number.

It's my relax day so I'm all recharged for the upcomming surgery. :)
Do the local dirt roads get really muddy when it rains?

131_0904_01_z%2Bmuddy_muddy_xmas%2Bmuddy_truck_front.jpg

Giggles
Yes they do and in summer monsoon it gets worse than that picture sometimes. :biggrin:

I had a good nights sleep.I hope you did also Ringel. :)
Slept okay but with all the rain my sinuses are currently my worst enemy.........

In reality my moderately humorous inquiry is based in gathering info. Many of the homes we looked at (online) are outside of Tucson and on dirt/gravel roads, wondering how bad it would really be.

Twice a year it gets bad in January and July from moonsoons.
Look for higher grounds for a house ,away from the main washes and have 4 wheel drive and your good.:)
If you don't have 4wheel drive like us you aren't going anywhere till the next day. :biggrin:

And you said nothing about food :)

Wow ! I just watched 'Game of thrones' series six ,episodes 9 and 10. There was sure a lot of action and some extreme battle scenes. Now I have to wait months for series 7, the final series to come out and I am expecting some extreme spectacle, as it draws to its conclusion.

I tried and tried to get interested in "Game of Thrones" based on other's rave reviews of it, but it was just too dark and violent for me. Maybe sometimes when I am in a better mood for that. . . .

' Game of thrones' is certainly violent. In series 6 episode 9 there is a huge battle between two armies and they end up having to climb over a huge pile of bodies to get at one another. They also film graphic details, like someone getting a sword through their throats. I assume that is all done with CGI computer graphics.

You might enjoy 'the Mummy' and its sequel, as it is humorous and has a hero and heroine and a monster.
When I watch TV I look for the following:

1 - national and international news (PBS etc.)
2 - local news
3 - documentaries (Frontline, AmerExperience, etc)
4 - Nature & animals
5 - Crime documentaries
6 - Crime dramas (Criminal Minds, etc)
7 - national sports (playoffs mostly)
8 - local sports (Raiders soon moving to Las Vegas)

And NOT the crap called reality shows like Game Of Thrones.

What might possibly have given you the impression Game of Thrones is considered a "reality show"? It is a fantasy drama.

Blood, sex and wars...

It cannot be more "reality" than this...:eusa_whistle:

I think, real medieval life was not so dramatical, like in GoT :) This is a movie about "how modern people could live in dark medieval, till the survivors form the new civilization" :)))

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's mom and her sister,
Saveliberty for wellness,
Ringel's Gizmo and Boo and wellness for Ringel,
Ernie for wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days.
And let's send up some special prayers and positive thoughts for Gracie & Mr. G who need a break big time right now.

All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all others who need to find their way back.

38050-1920x1200.jpg
Looks very similar with village, I lived...

Speaking of USMB Coffee Shoppe, I think I shall brew up a small pot of coffee now to warm up with. We have several feet of snow now here in the Rocky Mountains.

Featured today are the Cheeseheads vs Dallas then later the Steel Curtain vs KC.

We have a lot of snow, and I'm drinking hot tea before sleeping, because, it seems, I have a flu :)

So sorry you are not feeling well Sbiker. That's one of those weird cultural things I guess but I always thought of 'flu as strictly an American thing. Silly I know. :)

Seriously I hope you feel better quickly.

Forum List

Back