USMB Coffee Shop IV

Quick check in before I head in to open up.
I can't remember if I mentioned that we now open at 9 AM, but I'm still getting used to getting up at 7 AM again. The new hours, and particularly the new employee that made the new hours possible have resulted to a surge in business, not just on the morning shift, but these new morning customers are stopping by at night and bringing friends. It looks like around 20% increase in revenue.
THREE YEARS!
Yup, 3 years since we opened up (2/28/14) and we held our 3rd anniversary party last night with fun, food and music and our highest grossing night ever. Rumor has it, that every other bar within 10 miles of Doc's was empty. We are officially THE bar in Foley.
Glad to hear it, Ernie! You make a mean mint julep.

Working 9-2 today, then home for a late lunch. Grocery shopping, laundry and getting Mrs. Liberty stuff while the knee heals. Late in the day we are allowed to put some weight on the leg, so hopefully all is going as it should. So far keeping up on dishes and ice.

Working 9-2 today, then home for a late lunch. Grocery shopping, laundry and getting Mrs. Liberty stuff while the knee heals. Late in the day we are allowed to put some weight on the leg, so hopefully all is going as it should. So far keeping up on dishes and ice.

You're a good hubby. Once she can tolerate weight bearing, things should improve in a hurry.

You're a good hubby. Once she can tolerate weight bearing, things should improve in a hurry.

I think the arm pits from crutches use is the worst right now.

Ernie S.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO DOC HOLLIDAY'S

4.2015_240_6_16_25.jpg

Last edited:
Just purchased the CD album 'Joan' by Joan Baez from amazon. I could spend a lot of money getting CDs its so easy to buy online at any time of day or night.

Just purchased the CD album 'Joan' by Joan Baez from amazon. I could spend a lot of money getting CDs its so easy to buy online at any time of day or night.

No kidding. Hombre and I both have an Amazon Prime account because of our respective Kindles--Prime gives us a lot of free books and heavy discounts on others--and it also gives us streaming of gobs of old movies, documentaries, etc. But most importantly, and how we justify the expense, it gives us free shipping on almost everything we buy from Amazon and we buy a ton of stuff that we need from them.

But because it is so easy to do, we also order quite a few of non necessities but just stuff we would like to have. Like DVDs and CDs etc. And you can run up a hundred dollars or more on your credit card that way before you know it.

Last edited:

No kidding. Hombre and I both have an Amazon Prime account because of our respective Kindles--Prime gives us a lot of free books and heavy discounts on others--and it also gives us streaming of gobs of old movies, documentaries, etc. But most importantly, and how we justify the expense, it gives us free shipping on almost everything we buy from Amazon and we buy a ton of stuff that we need from them.

But because it is so easy to do, we also order quite a few of non necessities but just stuff we would like to have. Like DVDs and CDs etc. And you can run up a hundred dollars or more on your credit card that way before you know it.

Yea, I keep avoiding amazon prime, but I have stopped getting next day delivery because it costs £4 extra postage, and the last time it did not even come the next day anyway. Besides the standard post is often delivered the next day anyway.

Yea, I keep avoiding amazon prime, but I have stopped getting next day delivery because it costs £4 extra postage, and the last time it did not even come the next day anyway. Besides the standard post is often delivered the next day anyway.

That's the thing. Shipping costs add up pretty fast even at the slowest/lowest plan, so we figure as much as we order from Amazon, paying no shipping pays for our annual Prime membership fee.

Admittedly the stuff you buy through Amazon Prime is a dollar or two more expensive than what you would pay in a store so they are no doubt getting some shipping costs added into the costs, but it still saves us nevertheless due to the sheer volume.

I keep thinking of new CD albums to buy, and I can see myself spending a lot, so I might consider prime.

Edit, I just checked out the greatest hits of Murray Head CD and they want £161 for it. I am not planning on spending that kind of money for One CD.

Last edited:
Been putting items on Craigslist for sale, yeah I know to be careful, sold the sauna a few weeks ago via Craigslist. Put our old Droid Ultras up for sale on E-Bay, see if anyone bites.

Quick check in before I head in to open up.
I can't remember if I mentioned that we now open at 9 AM, but I'm still getting used to getting up at 7 AM again. The new hours, and particularly the new employee that made the new hours possible have resulted to a surge in business, not just on the morning shift, but these new morning customers are stopping by at night and bringing friends. It looks like around 20% increase in revenue.
THREE YEARS!
Yup, 3 years since we opened up (2/28/14) and we held our 3rd anniversary party last night with fun, food and music and our highest grossing night ever. Rumor has it, that every other bar within 10 miles of Doc's was empty. We are officially THE bar in Foley.

From what I have read over the years, you offer good music, food, drink and make people feel comfortable. Not hard to see why there is success.
That was the plan from the start. We wanted to offer a safe, clean bar with a good selection of premium libations. Call it, a cut above, but not high class. We carry a good selection of top shelf Bourbon, high end tequila. Hell I looked over at the shelf and there are 10 brands of premium vodka.
We keep a good selection of craft and seasonal beers and ales on hand.
Our goal was to provide a place where a middle aged woman would feel safe walking in by herself. We've done that, judging by a look across the bar. I've been told we have the nicest lady's room of any bar in Alabama, and are constantly told we are the cleanest bar anyone has ever seen. I guess we succeeded there too with a perfect score on our last 6 health dept. inspections after scoring 98 and 99% on our first 2. By comparison, a 92 is about average locally.
It's a tough business and if you think you're going to get rich with a 2,000 sq ft bar, you're deluded. Since we opened up 2/28/14, 14 other bars have opened and closed within 15 miles of here, and we are profitable. No, we're not getting rich, but we're having a blast and feel a tiny bit of pride in our accomplishment.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Continued happiness for Mr. & Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie.
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Hombre's sore toes,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, 007, Sixfoot and all others we hope will find their way back.

Sunset over Michigan
b4406219f4ce35145b4a132c2b53f704.jpg

Foxy, you can take us off the vigil list. This is home until the real home calls us back. My health is ok so far...except today I had big time fatigue and joint pain from the continual cold I guess. I so long for sunshine and warmth. This morning, it snowed again. Didn't stick, but it was just flat out cold. As usual.

I miss my beach, but I love this warm room. Guess I will hibernate in it until summer, lol.

Meanwhile, yesterday, I dragged myself to the doggy park not far from the house. I will try to upload pics.

Thank you all for your prayers. Now send some for SUN!!!! :lol:

I just brought Murray Head CD 'say it ain't so joe' for £12. There is one left on amazon UK if anyone wants to snap it up. Not forgetting that his greatest hits album is £161, which I will not be buying any time soon.

Forum List

Back