USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sherry and I are going to Inn on The Gulf tonight for dinner. It's right on the beach with a really nice veranda. Weather today is sunny and around 80.

I love Flawdah. :)

Some pics of Inn on the Gulf.

inn-on-the-gulf-restaurant-in-hudson-beach-florida-d121m1.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
inn-on-the-gulf.jpg

It says no animals allowed WQ, how is Sherry sneaking you in?

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's sister,
Gallant Warrior's chilly goats,
The Ringel's Gizmo and wellness for Ringel,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
Hombre's sore toes,
The Gracies just because,
NosmoKing for wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, 007, Sixfoot and all others we hope will find their way back.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Nosmo King knows where this is:
tompson.jpg

th

Last edited:

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Kat's sister,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Sherry's mom and her life saving medical treatment.
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Hombre's sore toes,
NosmoKing for wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, 007, Sixfoot and all others we hope will find their way back.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

tompson.jpg
That's the Pottery Capital of the World! The brick structures looking like bottles are, aptly named bottle kilns. Incidentally, here in East Liverpool, the 'n' in kilns is silent so they are called bottle kills.

That view is of the Ohio River looking upstream. The hills in the far background are in Pennsylvania and the slope seen at the right is the tip of the northern panhandle of
West Virginia. The house atop the hill on the left is still there, but the potteries have long since been demolished

This looks to be the foot of Broadway and Second Street. Babb's Island is where the river looks as if it is splitting off to the left while the main channel goes to the right.

Hundreds of dust covered men and women once labored in those potteries and then caroused in the many taverns downtown.
The downtown was once laid out so there would be a bar, then some storefront, then a church, then some more storefront, then a bar. Follow that plan for several blocks until you find the Masonic Temple or a police station. That's my home town.

Foxy, you've often commented on th steepness of the hills around here, particularly whenever I post a photograph of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate. This old postcard can give you a better perspective on how steep the hills actually are. Folks hear 'Ohio' and think it's billiard table flat. That's true enough for th counties that string along the south shore of Lake Erie. But here in the upper Ohio River valley, our hills are just too distinctive and familiar to be associated with the rest of the state's topography.

That bottom photo is West Fifth Street and Market, looking east down Fifth. The old Post Office seen far down the street is at the intersection of Fifth and Broadway. This is the main commercial district in town. Back in the 1960s, on a Saturday morning, shoppers would be on the sidewalks three abreast.

Last edited:
March came in like a lion yesterday. Heavy winds, trees down and some power outages. Today is colder with snow blowing in the air. They are calling for a modest two to three inch accumulation tomorrow. The tulips are poking through the soil out on the North Lawn. Once they have done their thing later next month, I have to get out there and dig them up so I can redistribute them come autumn. Needless to say, no greenhouses are close to opening. Pop would plant his sweet peas 'by the light of the moon on St. Patrick's Day'. Soon enough, asparagus will be up and ready for harvest. I've heard that some asparagus beds here are better than one hundred years old.

My brother and sister-in-law gave me an automatic watering system for my birthday. In the optomistic spirit that it's never too early to get started, I bought a twenty five foot long section of garden hose that I will place in the conduit under the front walkway so I can get water on demand to the window boxes.
March came in like June here yesterday. We hit 80 with a lot of sunshine early and a bit of rain after 10 PM. 64 and sunny right now.
I have roses in bloom and the azaleas are our in full force, but my wisteria hasn't even opened any new leaves. which disappoints me.
It's pantsless Thursday here at Cassa de Ernie. I had actually planned on getting dressed around 5 PM for a dinner date, but as fate had it, I needed to answer the door for a delivery.
Roses, azaleas, wisteria? Do you have magnolias, tulip trees, honeysuckle and kudzu, too? All that where I grew up, but certainly not here. Some things can be missed.
No kudzu on my property but there is a farm just choked with it. I have actually 2 types of magnolioa one has 10 or 12 inch blooms and the other locally known as sweet bay has 4 or 5 inch blooms. Honeysuckle grows on fences pretty much everywhere here, but I have no tulip trees.
Sweet bay = bay leaves for seasoning.
We also gathered wild sassafras and used the bark and roots.
Sweet bay, while it does have some aroma to it, is not bay leaves. Got sassafrass growing several places on the property. My partner made root beer out of one small tree I uprooted with the tractor.

My bartender was sick yesterday morning, so I covered the shift. I am NOT a bartender, but I can pour a shot and I twist a mean cap. I did OK and even made some decent tips. One of the girls said the tips would have been better if I showed more cleavage, but I'm ill equipped.

Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Kat's sister,
Hombre's sore toes,
NosmoKing for wellness,

tompson.jpg
That's the Pottery Capital of the World! The brick structures looking like bottles are, aptly named bottle kilns. Incidentally, here in East Liverpool, the 'n' in kilns is silent so they are called bottle kills.

That view is of the Ohio River looking upstream. The hills in the far background are in Pennsylvania and the slope seen at the right is the tip of the northern panhandle of
West Virginia. The house atop the hill on the left is still there, but the potteries have long since been demolished

This looks to be the foot of Broadway and Second Street. Babb's Island is where the river looks as if it is splitting off to the left while the main channel goes to the right.

Hundreds of dust covered men and women once labored in those potteries and then caroused in the many taverns downtown.
The downtown was once laid out so there would be a bar, then some storefront, then a church, then some more storefront, then a bar. Follow that plan for several blocks until you find the Masonic Temple or a police station. That's my home town.

Foxy, you've often commented on th steepness of the hills around here, particularly whenever I post a photograph of the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate. This old postcard can give you a better perspective on how steep the hills actually are. Folks hear 'Ohio' and think it's billiard table flat. That's true enough for th counties that string along the south shore of Lake Erie. But here in the upper Ohio River valley, our hills are just too distinctive and familiar to be associated with the rest of the state's topography.

That bottom photo is West Fifth Street and Market, looking east down Fifth. The old Post Office seen far down the street is at the intersection of Fifth and Broadway. This is the main commercial district in town. Back in the 1960s, on a Saturday morning, shoppers would be on the sidewalks three abreast.

Yes, once I saw the photos, all your photos of the Pimplebutt Estate made good sense. I was just surprised that your downtown area seems to be so level--I was expecting something approximating San Francisco. :) Beautiful area though and you really can see three states from where you are.

Haven't been on for a while, been too upset and depressed. Tuesday morning I let Gizmo out as usual and we ran errands taking most of the day, when we got home there was no sign of Gizmo. Wednesday still no Gizmo, Thursday report him lost on PetLink (he has a microchip), make up posters and get some out talk to neighbors. Friday expand the poster placing area talk to a few more people then last night/early morning have a long heart to heart with God. This morning I open the back curtains and who's looking at me wanting to come in? Yup it's Giz!!!! Looks like he's been roughing it and he obviously got into it with someone/something as he's missing the tip of his right ear, he's bedraggled with matted fur and briars interlacing his tail but he's alive and he's HOME!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I know that heartsick feeling when a beloved fur kid disappears, as well as the elation when they reappear. Glad Gizmo made it back, Ringer.

Night before last was brutal. Temps weren't bad but 20-35 mph winds cut the warmth right out of everything. Felt like -6 at least. Last night was better, temperature the same but we were missing that wind out of the North. OK we didn't miss it that much.

I've started laying out my "exit strategy" for leaving the regular work force. The toughest part will be training my partner to live on his retirement income.

Haven't been on for a while, been too upset and depressed. Tuesday morning I let Gizmo out as usual and we ran errands taking most of the day, when we got home there was no sign of Gizmo. Wednesday still no Gizmo, Thursday report him lost on PetLink (he has a microchip), make up posters and get some out talk to neighbors. Friday expand the poster placing area talk to a few more people then last night/early morning have a long heart to heart with God. This morning I open the back curtains and who's looking at me wanting to come in? Yup it's Giz!!!! Looks like he's been roughing it and he obviously got into it with someone/something as he's missing the tip of his right ear, he's bedraggled with matted fur and briars interlacing his tail but he's alive and he's HOME!!!!!!!

I wondered what was going on. We could have kept vigil with you, but I understand. And so glad you had a happy ending here.

I wondered what was going on. We could have kept vigil with you, but I understand. And so glad you had a happy ending here.
We're going to have to take him in to the vet now to get him thoroughly checked out.

We're going to have to take him in to the vet now to get him thoroughly checked out.
Oh what a great ending to that story! :)

So far so good but he might be more injured than we can see. It appears he got into a fight then found a place to hide and try to recover for a few days then finally decided to come home. We'll let him rest today and take him in tomorrow. The vet we go to is open seven days a week.

So far so good but he might be more injured than we can see. It appears he got into a fight then found a place to hide and try to recover for a few days then finally decided to come home. We'll let him rest today and take him in tomorrow. The vet we go to is open seven days a week.
Good grief, I thought you were gonna find him dead somewhere. Lol, I thought for sure he was a goner.

Now, did you have another one that died recently?

Freedombecki,
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Boedicca's Dad,
Kat's sister,
Hombre's sore toes,
NosmoKing for wellness,

tompson.jpg

Yes, once I saw the photos, all your photos of the Pimplebutt Estate made good sense. I was just surprised that your downtown area seems to be so level--I was expecting something approximating San Francisco. :) Beautiful area though and you really can see three states from where you are.
The Ohio River meanders through a valley featuring steep ravines. When the river bends, and it bends frequently, the hillsides on one bank fall right into the river while on the opposite bank, the river leaves a flat plateau. Downtown is relatively flat running east to west. But the north and south running streets slope steadily toward the river. The downtown plateau is roughly three miles long and a half mile from river bank to the foot of the hill.

Good grief, I thought you were gonna find him dead somewhere. Lol, I thought for sure he was a goner.

Yeah, his middle brother Boo died from cancer, we put him down Feb 1st. Jasper, the oldest cat has been looking all over the house for Giz since he disappeared. Jasper's our sensitive one, he's been really clingy lately because Boo disappeared from the house then Giz went missing and we're boxing up the house in preparation for a move. I have to go out today and take down all the lost cat posters.

Yeah, his middle brother Boo died from cancer, we put him down Feb 1st. Jasper, the oldest cat has been looking all over the house for Giz since he disappeared. Jasper's our sensitive one, he's been really clingy lately because Boo disappeared from the house then Giz went missing and we're boxing up the house in preparation for a move. I have to go out today and take down all the lost cat posters.

So have you decided WHERE you are going to move yet?

One other bit of potential "good news". The wife has had a couple of phone interviews and in about a week they want to do a face to face.......... in Gallup, New Mexico........ So far it's our best, and currently only promising job lead.
A couple of years ago she turned down a job offer there in favor of the El Paso job which turned out to be a toxic disaster.

Forum List

Back