USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning everybody. Good to see RodISHI dropped in for a visit. Beautiful morning here with temps around freezing b but we're forecast to get to maybe 60f today so hopefully it will warm up fast.

We have a luncheon at our favorite Asian restaurant today and looking forward to that. And then hopefully nothing for a day or two. It has been an unusually busy week.

Good morning everybody. Good to see RodISHI dropped in for a visit. Beautiful morning here with temps around freezing b but we're forecast to get to maybe 60f today so hopefully it will warm up fast.

We have a luncheon at our favorite Asian restaurant today and looking forward to that. And then hopefully nothing for a day or two. It has been an unusually busy week.
Thank you Foxfyre. I stayed up late so read a few extra posts here.
It is freezing cold here this morning. Almost three hours and the morning fire is just now taking the chill off. High is only 44f in our forecast for today :(

Ugh, tried to use the lawn mower, it won't start. I'm guessing it's because of old gas, which means I'll have to drain the gas and put in new. I don't know if we have anything to drain it into. I hate gas engines.

March came in like a lion yesterday. Heavy winds, trees down and some power outages. Today is colder with snow blowing in the air. They are calling for a modest two to three inch accumulation tomorrow. The tulips are poking through the soil out on the North Lawn. Once they have done their thing later next month, I have to get out there and dig them up so I can redistribute them come autumn. Needless to say, no greenhouses are close to opening. Pop would plant his sweet peas 'by the light of the moon on St. Patrick's Day'. Soon enough, asparagus will be up and ready for harvest. I've heard that some asparagus beds here are better than one hundred years old.

My brother and sister-in-law gave me an automatic watering system for my birthday. In the optomistic spirit that it's never too early to get started, I bought a twenty five foot long section of garden hose that I will place in the conduit under the front walkway so I can get water on demand to the window boxes.
March came in like June here yesterday. We hit 80 with a lot of sunshine early and a bit of rain after 10 PM. 64 and sunny right now.
I have roses in bloom and the azaleas are our in full force, but my wisteria hasn't even opened any new leaves. which disappoints me.
It's pantsless Thursday here at Cassa de Ernie. I had actually planned on getting dressed around 5 PM for a dinner date, but as fate had it, I needed to answer the door for a delivery.
Does your wisteria bloom every year Ernie? There's a big beautiful wisteria on my neighbor's arbor over his front porch. I've lived here twenty seven years come August and I can remember it blooming four times in all those years. Big Lucius purple blossoms hanging like grape clusters and drawing more butterflies than I could count. But if the Olympic Games come around more frequently than a wisteria blooms, it seem to make more sense to plant clematis.
This will be year 2 for mine, but all the wisteria here seems to bloom every year. It is all over the place. Foley has a lot of property that used to be potato warehouses along the railroad bed (tracks gone now) and much of that has wisteria vines big enough to mill lumber from. I see it blooming every year. I've loved it since I was a kid and finally bought a small plant last spring. It bloomed vigorously, I think in late March.
Spring seems a month early this year so I was hoping to see more action already.
64 and sunny, headed for 68 today.

March came in like a lion yesterday. Heavy winds, trees down and some power outages. Today is colder with snow blowing in the air. They are calling for a modest two to three inch accumulation tomorrow. The tulips are poking through the soil out on the North Lawn. Once they have done their thing later next month, I have to get out there and dig them up so I can redistribute them come autumn. Needless to say, no greenhouses are close to opening. Pop would plant his sweet peas 'by the light of the moon on St. Patrick's Day'. Soon enough, asparagus will be up and ready for harvest. I've heard that some asparagus beds here are better than one hundred years old.

My brother and sister-in-law gave me an automatic watering system for my birthday. In the optomistic spirit that it's never too early to get started, I bought a twenty five foot long section of garden hose that I will place in the conduit under the front walkway so I can get water on demand to the window boxes.
March came in like June here yesterday. We hit 80 with a lot of sunshine early and a bit of rain after 10 PM. 64 and sunny right now.
I have roses in bloom and the azaleas are our in full force, but my wisteria hasn't even opened any new leaves. which disappoints me.
It's pantsless Thursday here at Cassa de Ernie. I had actually planned on getting dressed around 5 PM for a dinner date, but as fate had it, I needed to answer the door for a delivery.
Roses, azaleas, wisteria? Do you have magnolias, tulip trees, honeysuckle and kudzu, too? All that where I grew up, but certainly not here. Some things can be missed.
No kudzu on my property but there is a farm just choked with it. I have actually 2 types of magnolioa one has 10 or 12 inch blooms and the other locally known as sweet bay has 4 or 5 inch blooms. Honeysuckle grows on fences pretty much everywhere here, but I have no tulip trees.

It is freezing cold here this morning. Almost three hours and the morning fire is just now taking the chill off. High is only 44f in our forecast for today :(

Where is here? General area if you prefer not to state a specific town. And occasional insomnia seems to be almost--not quite--a prerequisite for Coffee Shoppers it seems. :)

Sherry and I are going to Inn on The Gulf tonight for dinner. It's right on the beach with a really nice veranda. Weather today is sunny and around 80.

I love Flawdah. :)

Some pics of Inn on the Gulf.

inn-on-the-gulf-restaurant-in-hudson-beach-florida-d121m1.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
inn-on-the-gulf.jpg

Where is here? General area if you prefer not to state a specific town. And occasional insomnia seems to be almost--not quite--a prerequisite for Coffee Shoppers it seems. :)
Midwest.

Some good news for the denizens of my little river town. I saw a sign on a building downtown announcing the return of Orlando's Pizza. Orlando's was the original pizza shop here. It went out of business about four years ago. As Orlando's set the benchmark for pizza among East Liverpudlians, its absence has been sorely felt.

Of course we now have all the major chains, Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, it has always been the Mom and Pop pizza places that not only know the market better than anyone, but serve the best quality food. East Liverpool ain't Brooklyn. We are not a pizza Mecca. But we know what we like and, damn it, what we like is Orlando's.

When the old man ran the pizza shop, slices (Orlando's serves a Sicilian style pizza baked in big rectangular baking pans. 28 slices, 4x7) cost the princely sum of $.10. They came with two, maybe three slices of pepperoni and cheese. Other toppings were not available. Orlando had a .45 caliber handgun on the butcher block table he rolled out the dough upon. The gun was liberally dusted with flour and probably would have exploded if he ever had the chance to actually fire it. There was no delivery service, and no telephone. If you wanted pizza, you went to the shop and stood in line. When you got there, you were asked how many slices you wanted. Nothing was written down, there was no Point of Sale computer with pertinent information available. Just Chad's, Orlando's assistant, steel trap memory.

Orlando would quiz you, if you were, like me, a precocious teenager. "What's the only man made structure visible from space?" Answer the Great Wall of China and you might get an extra slice or two in the cardboard box. If you brought in your date and she smiled his way, maybe extra pepperoni, maybe an extra slice.

Orlando, a swarthy man, would labor hard making his pies. Jet black hair slicked back with a dollop of VO5, a Camel unfiltered dangling from his lip and an occasional ball of sweat dropping from his nose and into the sauce made the experience complete. Of course, if a cigarette ash dropped onto your order, you shrugged it off because the pizza was so good.

Crispy crust with minimal pizza bones (the crust at the perimeter) and the distinct aroma of plenty of oregano was Orland's stock in trade.

After so many years without genuine Orlando's pizza, and all the new competition that has sprung up since he first opened in 1953, the new proprietors had better remember to bring one thing to the new operation. They better bring Orlando's back the way we remember it.

Last edited:

Midwest.

Ah yes, it can still be winter there. We moved back to New Mexico from north central Kansas and you sure didn't plant anything this time of year.

Sherry and I are going to Inn on The Gulf tonight for dinner. It's right on the beach with a really nice veranda. Weather today is sunny and around 80.

I love Flawdah. :)

Some pics of Inn on the Gulf.

inn-on-the-gulf-restaurant-in-hudson-beach-florida-d121m1.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
inn-on-the-gulf.jpg

Oh my. It looks wonderful and with great views. We just got back from P.F. Changs that despite being a national chain is our favorite Asian restaurant here more for the service than the food. But the view, if you have one from your table, is of I-25. :)

Does your wisteria bloom every year Ernie? There's a big beautiful wisteria on my neighbor's arbor over his front porch. I've lived here twenty seven years come August and I can remember it blooming four times in all those years. Big Lucius purple blossoms hanging like grape clusters and drawing more butterflies than I could count. But if the Olympic Games come around more frequently than a wisteria blooms, it seem to make more sense to plant clematis.
This will be year 2 for mine, but all the wisteria here seems to bloom every year. It is all over the place. Foley has a lot of property that used to be potato warehouses along the railroad bed (tracks gone now) and much of that has wisteria vines big enough to mill lumber from. I see it blooming every year. I've loved it since I was a kid and finally bought a small plant last spring. It bloomed vigorously, I think in late March.
Spring seems a month early this year so I was hoping to see more action already.
64 and sunny, headed for 68 today.

Our wisteria in Kansas bloomed every year too, roughly at the same time the forsythia bushes bloomed, unless we had cut it back too severely. The forsythia, wisteria, and lilac bushes got out of hand fairly rapidly.

One of our luncheon companions today is vegan and ordered the vegan offering on the menu. She offered me a taste which I accepted. And while it wasn't exactly awful, it certainly did not provide me much inspiration, except for this:

16864624_1951749988379248_3652658732060067312_n.jpg

Roses, azaleas, wisteria? Do you have magnolias, tulip trees, honeysuckle and kudzu, too? All that where I grew up, but certainly not here. Some things can be missed.
Kudzu????? Isn't that a weed vine
Actually, kudzu is an invasive species that has overrun much of the South, but it has been doing so for a long time. "Kudzu (/ˈkʊdzuː/, also called Japanese arrowroot) is a group of plants in the genus Pueraria, in the pea family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae. They are climbing, coiling, and trailing perennial vines native to much of eastern Asia, Southeast Asia, and some Pacific islands."
I know.....Just never heard anyone say they missed it
It's part of fond childhood memories. Realistically, I might visit where I grew up if I had a reason, I would never move back to live there.

No kudzu on my property but there is a farm just choked with it. I have actually 2 types of magnolioa one has 10 or 12 inch blooms and the other locally known as sweet bay has 4 or 5 inch blooms. Honeysuckle grows on fences pretty much everywhere here, but I have no tulip trees.
Sweet bay = bay leaves for seasoning.
We also gathered wild sassafras and used the bark and roots.

Forum List

Back