USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay, from Bing's quickie definitions that includes an audio pronunciation of a word it is skee'mah.

And the Merriam Webster definition:

Schema
  1. : a diagrammatic presentation; broadly : a structured framework or plan : outline

2. 2: a mental codification of experience that includes a particular organized way of perceiving cognitively and responding to a complex situation or set of stimuli
Good grief. College graduates would have to think about that to make sense of it.

I called our insurance , they give me the 800 number ,I called them up and get all the arrangements made and file claimed , so everything's great so far.

I get the robo call from the insurance. They say they will be there in an hour and you don't need to call back. That was at 12:30
I go in to meet them 1:30 ,still not there.
I call from the hotel, they tell me they don't have the right towing equipment and they were there an hour earlier to look at it and I received no courtesy phone call back about it. :(
So I make arrangements with another tow guy in town that we know.
He is going to tow it to Sierra Vista in the morning and I left him the key and pay him the deductible part of what the ins. won't pay. The insurance will pay him the rest.
The automatic roadside assistance is treating it like it's a roadside emergency, which I made very clear to the lady in Colo. that it wasn't.
THEN;
A tow truck from Tucson shows up at the garage towing shop here in Benson and asks him for the key..
He says no not without my consent.
So the guy from Tucson calls me on my cell phone while I'm at the grocery store and tries to pressure me for him to tow it.
I said no way. I told him I made other arrangements with the guy I left the key with.

When things get settled down I'm going to our insurance and tell her their out of state road side service sucks big time.
We won't use them ever again.
Who had the bright idea to have the headquarters in Colo. for roadside assistance in S.E. - AZ.

I'm taking it easy tonight and tomorrow. :)
I have things I have to do here at the house ,as I'm 2 days off of regular daily chores of things to do. :)

Last edited:
Helped Sunday with Harper's birthday party arrangements by helping with yard work. She will be five on Sunday and is enjoying school so far. No phone call for the postal job today,so that is probably nor to be. Another one popped up today though and I applied for that. BIL is still on this side of the dirt. The hospital sent him home today, but he lives alone. Harper's brother is due any day now too.

Anyone else think Mr. Peach needs to get the bike fixed and sell it?

So Save you think he should give up something that he's enjoyed his whole life because the Veterans Administration messed up on his medication?

I don't think so.
By the way Mr P is a very good driver.
This should have never happened in the first place. :(

So Save you think he should give up something that he's enjoyed his whole life because the Veterans Administration messed up on his medication?

I don't think so.

I admit I am not a motorcycle rider, so my opinion is quite different from what others may think. Sorry my prior comment was offensive. That was not the intention.

I don't think so.
I think what he was probably trying to say is we all reach a point where we can no longer do many of the things we loved to do in the past and have to give them up. Not saying that's the case with Mr P but you get my meaning.

I rarely ride my Harley anymore. It just sits in the shop with a blanket over it, not because I don't like riding it or feel I'm too old, more because I don't trust the other cars on the road, and WI is full of critters. Living out here in the country it doesn't matter where you ride, you're going to encounter a deer sooner or later. My Harley is a collector, I'd just as soon let it sit in the shop and increase in value and sell it someday as to ride it and hit a deer. The other thing is, it takes hours and hours to polish all the chrome on that thing, and one ride around and it'll be plastered with bug guts again. Kind of takes the fun out of riding if you want to keep a clean bike. Every time you ride it it's going to get covered with bug guts... even your leather.

Not counting today, three more days until I pull out for Montana. Haven't been there since 1988. I'm really going to enjoy the visit. Heck I'm even looking forward to the drive. I like watching how the scenery changes as you head west. The biggest change is immediately after you cross the Missouri River.

I don't think so.

What Ringel said.

Because of working in hospitals so many years, I am wary of motorcycles and other transportation of that type, even as I have many people in my life who I love dearly who love them like Mr. P does not counting our Coffee Shop bikers. On hearing of the fractured ankle my first thought too was that it was time to retire the bike, but we aren't you, we aren't him, and those notions and accompanying advice across the miles will sometimes not fit the actual issue at all. But it will be well intended just the same.

But no, none of us should have to stop doing what we love until it is important that we do.

Last edited:
I rarely ride my Harley anymore. It just sits in the shop with a blanket over it, not because I don't like riding it or feel I'm too old, more because I don't trust the other cars on the road, and WI is full of critters. Living out here in the country it doesn't matter where you ride, you're going to encounter a deer sooner or later. My Harley is a collector, I'd just as soon let it sit in the shop and increase in value and sell it someday as to ride it and hit a deer. The other thing is, it takes hours and hours to polish all the chrome on that thing, and one ride around and it'll be plastered with bug guts again. Kind of takes the fun out of riding if you want to keep a clean bike. Every time you ride it it's going to get covered with bug guts... even your leather.

Not counting today, three more days until I pull out for Montana. Haven't been there since 1988. I'm really going to enjoy the visit. Heck I'm even looking forward to the drive. I like watching how the scenery changes as you head west. The biggest change is immediately after you cross the Missouri River.

So I guess that means you aren't taking the bike on your trip? :D

ee319d82f2fc3a13a052b1de18b95390--yorky-happy-tuesday-quotes.jpg

I've been watching how our friends in Texas have been faring during this mess of water and damage. My heart, and your hearts, go out to them.

Even though I live high on a hill in the upper Ohio Eiver valley I am no stranger to flooding. Every couple of years, usually during late winter, the Ohio floods the low laying parts of town. The East End is such a spot. The East End is East Liverpool's largest neighborhood. Folks along Ohio Avenue normally enjoy sweeping river views from their homes. But they live in the flood plain and occasionally pay for those views with water filled basements.

But nothing like what I've been seeing in the Houston area! Back in 1989 I had a project in Baytown, Texas at the abandoned U.S. Steel mill there. My job was to construct a cap on a hazardous waste landfill. The landfill contains electric arc furnace dust, a rust colored dust that used to coat everything within a few miles of a steel mill. People actually painted their home a brownish/orange color because cleaning that dust from their property was futile.

The cap I built was designed by my colleagues to withstand what we were told should be a 500 year storm. Hurricane Harvey is that 500 year storm, only 28 years into the life of the cap. I have no idea whether or not my efforts there are still in place.

I met lots of folks while in Baytown. Many of the sub contractors were residents of the Houston metro area. I hope and pray that if they were effected by this mess that they are safe and warm and dry. Nearly every evening I took my dinner at a Baytown steakhouse. I became a fixture there and got to know many of the good folks at that restaurant. I lived in the Holiday Inn in Baytown. I was there for six months and the hotel staff became my friends.

Anyway, a lot of people have come to mind this week. A lot of prayers and hopeful thoughts have gone up from my barely adequate mind and heart. And a lot of concern has oozed out for my Texas 'family'.

I've been watching how our friends in Texas have been faring during this mess of water and damage. My heart, and your hearts, go out to them.

Even though I live high on a hill in the upper Ohio Eiver valley I am no stranger to flooding. Every couple of years, usually during late winter, the Ohio floods the low laying parts of town. The East End is such a spot. The East End is East Liverpool's largest neighborhood. Folks along Ohio Avenue normally enjoy sweeping river views from their homes. But they live in the flood plain and occasionally pay for those views with water filled basements.

But nothing like what I've been seeing in the Houston area! Back in 1989 I had a project in Baytown, Texas at the abandoned U.S. Steel mill there. My job was to construct a cap on a hazardous waste landfill. The landfill contains electric arc furnace dust, a rust colored dust that used to coat everything within a few miles of a steel mill. People actually painted their home a brownish/orange color because cleaning that dust from their property was futile.

The cap I built was designed by my colleagues to withstand what we were told should be a 500 year storm. Hurricane Harvey is that 500 year storm, only 28 years into the life of the cap. I have no idea whether or not my efforts there are still in place.

I met lots of folks while in Baytown. Many of the sub contractors were residents of the Houston metro area. I hope and pray that if they were effected by this mess that they are safe and warm and dry. Nearly every evening I took my dinner at a Baytown steakhouse. I became a fixture there and got to know many of the good folks at that restaurant. I lived in the Holiday Inn in Baytown. I was there for six months and the hotel staff became my friends.

Anyway, a lot of people have come to mind this week. A lot of prayers and hopeful thoughts have gone up from my barely adequate mind and heart. And a lot of concern has oozed out for my Texas 'family'.

Amen Nosmo.

We have a cousin who ranches just outside Houston. As of yesterday the water was up to the front steps of their home and rising. They were helplessly watching their cattle plodding through belly deep water desperate to find a non-existant high spot to get out of it. All emergency rescue is currently dealing with saving human lives. I can't imaging how terrifying and heart wrenching that would be.

Amen Nosmo.

We have a cousin who ranches just outside Houston. As of yesterday the water was up to the front steps of their home and rising. They were helplessly watching their cattle plodding through belly deep water desperate to find a non-existant high spot to get out of it. All emergency rescue is currently dealing with saving human lives. I can't imaging how terrifying and heart wrenching that would be.
The folks I met in Texas were justifiably proud of where they live. The guards at the mill fed me the first tamales I ever ate. The surveyor on site made a smoked brisket that I sent home to my family for Christmas dinner. The plant manager had me to his home for a family dinner. I ate well in Texas.

The Texans are great people.

I don't think so.

What Ringel said.

Because of working in hospitals so many years, I am wary of motorcycles and other transportation of that type, even as I have many people in my life who I love dearly who love them like Mr. P does not counting our Coffee Shop bikers. On hearing of the fractured ankle my first thought too was that it was time to retire the bike, but we aren't you, we aren't him, and those notions and accompanying advice across the miles will sometimes not fit the actual issue at all. But it will be well intended just the same.

But no, none of us should have to stop doing what we love until it is important that we do.
Few people who have ridden motorcycles as long as Mr. P and I have escaped without an injury. It's the price we pay for doing something we feel we were put on this earth to do.
In 50 years of riding, I have been in around 10 accidents. I've broken both feet and gotten a few bruises. Of the 10, 3 have been caused by my negligence or outright stupidity, but the rest were due to the actions of either car drivers or in one case, a small child on a bicycle.
Simply put, I ride a motorcycle. It's who I am and what I will be until I die.
I fully understand Mr and Mrs. P's position here and would love to ride with them.

On that note, I haven't been able to ride Mighty Whitey for 6 months. Friday, I will order a front tire and a battery and be back in the wind next week!

Hey 007 - Hope you have a great trip to Montana. I really enjoyed it out there when I went last year. You're a veteran so be sure to stop at Wall Drug in Wall, SD and get your free donut and a cup of coffee. When you get into Montana, if you're going to be camping there is an excellent campground in Garryowen called 7th Ranch RV Camp. It's right beside the Custer Battlefield. The little restaurant beside the battlefield has EXCELLENT fry bread. Have a great trip.

I don't think so.

What Ringel said.

Few people who have ridden motorcycles as long as Mr. P and I have escaped without an injury. It's the price we pay for doing something we feel we were put on this earth to do.
In 50 years of riding, I have been in around 10 accidents. I've broken both feet and gotten a few bruises. Of the 10, 3 have been caused by my negligence or outright stupidity, but the rest were due to the actions of either car drivers or in one case, a small child on a bicycle.
Simply put, I ride a motorcycle. It's who I am and what I will be until I die.
I fully understand Mr and Mrs. P's position here and would love to ride with them.

On that note, I haven't been able to ride Mighty Whitey for 6 months. Friday, I will order a front tire and a battery and be back in the wind next week!
Yeah I got mt first minibike when I was nine, and my first motorcycle when I was 12, so being 62, I've been riding for 50 years not counting the minibike. I wiped out a couple times on my first bike which was a Honda S90. Never got hurt because I never really went all that fast, and I rode around old farm fields and cow pastures. I did crash my Kawasaki 1100LTD by my own means, just stinkin' wasted and really late at night, actually passed out on the bike and rode it off the bend in a road. Good thing I had on a helmet or I'd probably be dead right now. Then much, much later I later in Reno I had the idiot turn across traffic into people who had a green light and I was just the poor slob furthest in the right lane, and I T-boned his GMC Denali. Got a nice little settlement from that one and a new bike. But I never let the crashes scare me either. I couldn't wait to get back on my bike. I trust my riding. The only reason I'd ever have an accident is because of someone or something else. You do learn to keep your eyes constantly moving on a bike, never focus on one thing for more than a couple seconds, especially in a city.

Hey 007 - Hope you have a great trip to Montana. I really enjoyed it out there when I went last year. You're a veteran so be sure to stop at Wall Drug in Wall, SD and get your free donut and a cup of coffee. When you get into Montana, if you're going to be camping there is an excellent campground in Garryowen called 7th Ranch RV Camp. It's right beside the Custer Battlefield. The little restaurant beside the battlefield has EXCELLENT fry bread. Have a great trip.
I'm going to peel out here at the crack of dawn Saturday morning and drive 'til I get to Wall, S.D. I'll check that free donut and cup'a joe out. Going to stay at the motel in town by my sister. Don't have a camper... yet. But that is why I bought the big black 2015 2500HD Chevy, going to find a nice 5th wheel. I'll shoot straight for the sister's place on the way out, but on the way back I'm going to play a little bit. I do plan on stopping at Custer's Last Stand. I was there decades ago, I think I wasn't even a teenager yet, so now after all these years and reading so much about it, I want to see it again. Same with Deadwood. Going to stop there again and check out Hickoks grave and the Number 10 saloon where he was shot. Should be a fun time. I'll take lots of pics. Got a good AF buddy going to come over to MT for a couple days too, haven't seen him for 30 years.

The reports are a few folks in Houston saw a fleeting but real glimpse of the sun today. Harvey has finally begun exiting the area and is headed northeast probably to finally leave the country in the southern waters of the North Atlantic. Hundreds of thousands of folks will still need our prayers and positive vibes for some time to come though.

Check out this heartbreaking video:
Think you've seen it all in Houston? Neighborhood of underwater homes will devastate you

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Hossfly's knee rehab,
007's brother-in-law for a full recovery,
Saveliberty in difficult transition, his daughter, and for his brother-in-law and family,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, , SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

sun-shining-through-the-clouds.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back