USMB Coffee Shop IV

We've been tied up with houseguests for the last three days and I just realized I am a terrible birthday host for the Coffee Shop as I missed Montro's birthday two days ago on October 5.

So a belated but heartfelt. . .

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONTROVANT!!!!!!

and blessings for many more to come!!!

coop_computer-cake-1.jpg

Is that a cake? Wow. Imagine the time and effort that went into that!

I just loaded Mint 18 on my main PC over the Mint 17 boot. Unfortunately, it has caused a boot problem with GRUB. However, I can go to BIOS and boot up into Windows, and that partition seems unaffected, so I think I'll be OK. I just need to try to fix my boot loader, or if all else fails, I can just switch my BIOS options and load into Windows.

Annoying, but when I first booted into the GRUB error screen, I was very concerned I had just screwed up my Windows partition, too.

I think Gparted might can fix that.

Or this other thing I used to use. Some kind of universal boot/partition loader fixer thing.

Yeah, I'm drawing a blank. Nowadays, I just put whatever on whatever disk, haven't dual-booted in 5 years.

I'd put mint on an 8gb microSD and call it good.

BCD-something comes to mind as for the fixer program.

A sad story . . . my son was driving into work the other day and saw a baby deer get hit by a car, so he pulled over, got out of his car, dragged the deer out of the road and sat with it and tried to comfort it until it died. :(

Aww, did he take it home?

Last time that happened to me, it was traumatic, but I ate it.

I think I have discovered part of the problem with employment in America. Supposedly businesses are having a terrible time finding workers. It seems there are two reasons why from what I have witnessed. One, they do not want to pay for quality employees or two, they expect an exact match for their position.

I just loaded Mint 18 on my main PC over the Mint 17 boot. Unfortunately, it has caused a boot problem with GRUB. However, I can go to BIOS and boot up into Windows, and that partition seems unaffected, so I think I'll be OK. I just need to try to fix my boot loader, or if all else fails, I can just switch my BIOS options and load into Windows.

Annoying, but when I first booted into the GRUB error screen, I was very concerned I had just screwed up my Windows partition, too.

Or this other thing I used to use. Some kind of universal boot/partition loader fixer thing.

Yeah, I'm drawing a blank. Nowadays, I just put whatever on whatever disk, haven't dual-booted in 5 years.

I ended up getting it fixed, the program is actually just called boot-repair-disk. :)

Nah, all he needed was a simple bootloader fix. When dual booting and upgrading your distro Grub bootloader will break sometimes.

I have survived Nate! I walked out on the deck to survey the destruction caused by the most violent storm to hit the Alabama coast in a couple weeks. My garbage can is laying on its side a foot, maybe 14" from where it was pre-storm and the table cloth on the table in the gazebo is messed up for the second time.

I ended up getting it fixed, the program is actually just called boot-repair-disk. :)
Just a note, I decided to take another look at a few distros and right now have Mint 18 on my Linux desktop. I installed the Cinnamenu applet which give you a Gnome 3 style "start" menu.

screenshot.png

I love it. :thup:

Just a note, I decided to take another look at a few distros and right now have Mint 18 on my Linux desktop. I installed the Cinnamenu applet which give you a Gnome 3 style "start" menu.

screenshot.png

I try to avoid the menu by putting the programs I use most often in my cairo-dock. :D

screenshot.png

I try to avoid the menu by putting the programs I use most often in my cairo-dock. :D
My most used programs go on the panel, I hate Cairo-dock mostly because it always "broke" on me. I like the Gnome 3 menu because it's larger and more easy to search.
I tried the latest Kubuntu Plasma (KDE) but it has a definite learning curve and takes time to configure besides with the newer Plama 5 screen it appears some things just can't be undone if one makes a mistake with their personalization. I was using kubuntu with Plasma 4 just a few years ago before I did a multi distro reexamination.

screenshot.png

Eh, I'm an LX-type. Shortcut on desktop-done. I guess it does have a docky-mathingy.

iCUqZXb.jpg

I suspect computers rise up and take over from humans when we swear at them on a regular basis while attempting to find programs using voice commands. The constant badgering is finally too much for them to endure.

Happy Friday!! I hope everyone has a great weekend.:) Tomorrow we'll be driving out to visit with WQ's family, and then out for some yummy seafood on the waterfront.:thup:

patio-at-harborside-restaurant.jpg

Hope Nate doesn't veer too far east and ruin your weekend. However it looks more like Kat and Ernie S. could be in the bullseye of this one.
It's raining pretty heavily here and winds are on and off to maybe 35 MPH. From NOAA's last advisory, landfall should be about midnight at the Mississippi/Lousiana border. We can expect winds about 60 MPH here in Foley. Really no big deal for an area that has survived 140 MPH winds.

It was fun! NOT!!

A sad story . . . my son was driving into work the other day and saw a baby deer get hit by a car, so he pulled over, got out of his car, dragged the deer out of the road and sat with it and tried to comfort it until it died. :(
Sad, indeed, but all life ends. Some lives end without suffering and pain, some suddenly. Sorry your son had to start his day so sadly.

screenshot.png

Eh, I'm an LX-type. Shortcut on desktop-done. I guess it does have a docky-mathingy.

iCUqZXb.jpg
My wife is the one with icons adorning her screen like Christmas decorations on a tree me I like my desktop (virtual one) clean. Mint Cinnamon also lets shortcuts be placed on the desktop, see the little window in the open menu (Add to panel, Add to desktop, Add to favorites, Uninstall).

Forum List

Back