USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think we need an update from peach174 . She hasn't posted in awhile.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter in difficult transition,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Don't forget that the Geminid meteor shower peaks tonight and tomorrow night. Up to 120 meteors visible per hour.
shutterstock_349995755-850x500.jpg

Thank you for all of the prayers. It's been awhile since I've provided an update. My brother is doing well, so happy to see him healthy again.

My dad had a massive heart attack last night. I'm rather in shock about it. He's hanging on right now, but so feeble. Unlikely he will recover. After months of being intellectually ready to lose him, emotionally it is horrifying. I'm so sad.

:itsok:

I would imagine that one rarely can be emotionally prepared for the passing of a loved one. I'm sorry for your father's ill health, boed.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Don't forget that the Geminid meteor shower peaks tonight and tomorrow night. Up to 120 meteors visible per hour.

Thank you for all of the prayers. It's been awhile since I've provided an update. My brother is doing well, so happy to see him healthy again.

My dad had a massive heart attack last night. I'm rather in shock about it. He's hanging on right now, but so feeble. Unlikely he will recover. After months of being intellectually ready to lose him, emotionally it is horrifying. I'm so sad.

No how prepared you may think you are, you are never truly prepared for losing someone close to you.

I am playing a prank on my son for Christmas. I have these beer nuts things that I bought, and nobody likes them, so they just sit there. Whenever my son asks what I have for snacks, I point to it and tell him to dig in! Lol! So, I wrapped them up and put a nice bow and a tag on them. :lol: It's going to be so funny when he opens that one and sees that it's the beer nuts!

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,

Oh so sorry Boe. It is so hard to say goodbye and being intellectually ready still doesn't make it any easier. But when there is no more chance for quality of life, all we can do is just love them through whatever is left of this life on Earth. And sometimes it isn't yet time to go. Please keep us updated.

Last edited:
I wrapped the Christmas gifts this evening. A task I perform once a year and therefore lack real skills. My efforts are noble, yet feeble. I presume the recipients think I've been generous and hired the little three year old blind girl born without thumbs to wrap the presents. But, there they are, all wrapped in red paper and scotch tape.

My brother and I conspired to drag Mom into the 21 st century this Christmas. I bought her two Amazon echo dots, the robotic overlord. My brother followed up by getting her two Alexa powered outlets so Mom can command lights to turn on both downstairs and in her bedchamber with a call of her voice. Mom doesn't have to go downstairs to turn on the lights if she should hear a strange noise in the middle of the night. She seems intrigued by the system both my brother and I have in our own homes. She asks Alexa to play Ray Price and marvels at the musical response.

My brother and sister-in-law are getting a dog camera for Teddy, their dog and Daisy's cousin. They will be able to see and hear Teddy on their phones and Teddy will hear their voices. The gizmo can also spit out a dog treat, much to his delight.

My eight year old nephew is getting a high tech yoyo. It's what they call a 'non-responsive' yoyo. The axel of the yoyo has a ball bearing that lets it spin freely so he can do all those yoyo string tricks we were amazed by way back when. He is an exceptionally coordinated kid, a natural athlete and showman. So, I also got him juggling balls. They are about the size of a plum and are basically leather covered bean bags so they won't bounce and roll away when dropped. I figure that it will take him until New Year's Eve to master juggling three balls. By St. Valentine's Day he should be able to juggle a lit torch, a buzzing chain saw and a pound of butter with no difficulty.

His Dad, my sister-in-law's son, is dating a lovely young woman with a seven year old daughter. She is cute as a bug and a really cheerful little girl. For her I got an outdoor explorer's kit. It has a pair of binoculars, a liquid filled compass, a hand cranked flashlight (no batteries required) and a magnifying glass.

For both these kids I wanted gifts that got them off screens and out into real life. I fear too many children are only aware of the electronics eight inches from their noses and are missing out on reality.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca's dad and family,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Sixfoot, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

3-9-13-1.jpg

24991433_1402036366585568_6738613473430546609_n.jpg

Winter has come...

Is it time to sit at home, or a time to travel? :)

Good morning everybody. And to Sbiker, I always looked at winter as the time to be guilt free that I wasn't outside doing something constructive, a time for hot chocolate and hearty stews and jigsaw puzzles that just don't feel right in the summer. I don't think of it as a time to travel, but if one does travel, it feels like it is supposed to get away from ice, snow, and cold and to palm trees and wonderful beaches.

I love that tall ship in your photo though. A museum piece? I have always wanted to attend the event in Boston Harbor where the tall ships are sailed and are on display. On my bucket list of things to do before I die.
tumblr_m6qvibFotC1qewb27o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Winter has come...

Good morning everybody. And to Sbiker, I always looked at winter as the time to be guilt free that I wasn't outside doing something constructive, a time for hot chocolate and hearty stews and jigsaw puzzles that just don't feel right in the summer. I don't think of it as a time to travel, but if one does travel, it feels like it is supposed to get away from ice, snow, and cold and to palm trees and wonderful beaches.

I love that tall ship in your photo though. A museum piece? I have always wanted to attend the event in Boston Harbor where the tall ships are sailed and are on display. On my bucket list of things to do before I die.

It's a museum reconstruction of ship of XVIII century. A good example, what people in my town built at this place 300 years ago... Cannons are original :)

I agree with you about hot chocolate - and I drinking hot coffee right now... But ancient Russians used winter for travels, because it's time, when they could use rivers as roads - an only good roads here for a centuries :))) And I understand them after some years of working trips during winter :) It's a real good, silent time to visit many interesting places in different towns... Offcourse, periodically having hot tea, coffee, maybe hot wine or vodka or cognac or something else :)

Winter has come...

It's a museum reconstruction of ship of XVIII century. A good example, what people in my town built at this place 300 years ago... Cannons are original :)

I agree with you about hot chocolate - and I drinking hot coffee right now... But ancient Russians used winter for travels, because it's time, when they could use rivers as roads - an only good roads here for a centuries :))) And I understand them after some years of working trips during winter :) It's a real good, silent time to visit many interesting places in different towns... Offcourse, periodically having hot tea, coffee, maybe hot wine or vodka or cognac or something else :)

I can appreciate that. I record all of the "Ice Road Truckers" segments on television here and watch them intermittently when nothing else is on. It is a sort of documentary thing in which the truckers working for an actual trucking company transport stuff to remote villages in Northern Canada that are accessible only when the roads and rivers are frozen. There are usually many river crossings without bridges that have to be traveled only when the ice is thick enough to support several tons of a loaded 18-wheeler.

Forum List

Back