USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm finally taking a coding class, and I'm not happy about it so far. I'm getting the impression that coders are expected to have a pretty in-depth knowledge of various conditions and their symptoms, different names for conditions, not to mention knowing that certain things are exceptions to the normal rules within the thousands of possible codes. Coding isn't a high-paying career, nor does it require a great deal of education, so logic tells me I must be wrong....but early on in the class, that's definitely the impression it's giving me.

The way it works, you have an index in the code book that you use to look up a condition. That sends you to tables which make up the bulk of the book, where you confirm the condition is the correct one and refine it if you can. Sometimes, however, I have no idea what to look up to get to the code in the tables. There are instances where the textbook tells me I will use a certain code in a particular situation, but is that something I'm just supposed to remember? That seems like a terrible idea to me.

I'm having a hard time sticking with the work because it is frustrating the hell out of me.

Do you mean programming? I suppose it's a mind-breaking thing to use for programming the same language, as you use for communication :)
Medical coding; taking everything the Dr, hospital, staff, etcetera did with each patient and convert it to a universal numeric code for billing purposes.

oh! :) Sorry for some misunderstanding...
It's easy to confuse the two because of the word 'coding'.

Yes, and having had to do some of that, and my training was all on the job, it can be frustrating and a bit intimidating. And again, it has all changed now with all the new procedures and medications that didn't exist when I was working in hospitals, and it is more complicated since it is all done by computer--we were still doing it by hand when I did it--but it does get easier with practice.

happy-birthday-sherry-images-8.png

I'm finally taking a coding class, and I'm not happy about it so far. I'm getting the impression that coders are expected to have a pretty in-depth knowledge of various conditions and their symptoms, different names for conditions, not to mention knowing that certain things are exceptions to the normal rules within the thousands of possible codes. Coding isn't a high-paying career, nor does it require a great deal of education, so logic tells me I must be wrong....but early on in the class, that's definitely the impression it's giving me.

The way it works, you have an index in the code book that you use to look up a condition. That sends you to tables which make up the bulk of the book, where you confirm the condition is the correct one and refine it if you can. Sometimes, however, I have no idea what to look up to get to the code in the tables. There are instances where the textbook tells me I will use a certain code in a particular situation, but is that something I'm just supposed to remember? That seems like a terrible idea to me.

I'm having a hard time sticking with the work because it is frustrating the hell out of me.

Do you mean programming? I suppose it's a mind-breaking thing to use for programming the same language, as you use for communication :)
Medical coding; taking everything the Dr, hospital, staff, etcetera did with each patient and convert it to a universal numeric code for billing purposes.

oh! :) Sorry for some misunderstanding...
It's easy to confuse the two because of the word 'coding'.

Yes. I worked in the medical and/or insurance professions for so long, it is those kinds of codes I think of immediately when the word 'code' comes up. Military personnel would most likely first think of encryption or security systems. And computer geeks think of binary and such. :)

Yes, sure, what did you expect from a Russian spy on an American forum? :)

Ha-ha, it's a difference between generations too :) I'm not a spy, I'm an troll from Putin's School of Trolls somewhere near St.Petersburg (I know only Pulkovo, Kupchino and Murino , but Troll school is somewhere else :)))

What!?! Spies and trolls? How disappointing...I was hoping we were keeping company with those Mysterious Masters of the Cyber-Universe - the Russian hacker! ;)

We have a new baby boy...

View attachment 173577

and an older 'baby' who thinks some things should be shared...

View attachment 173578

And see, you continue to change my world view. We have cousins near the Texas gulf coast (Houston area) who run a cattle ranch. In fact, when you think of anywhere in Texas, you think bluebonnets, oil, cattle ranches, and refineries. But just as I had never mentally mixed Florida gators with black bears, I had never thought about cattle ranches/operations in Florida. :)

But live and learn.

We are back from the post op visit for Hombre's eye, the bandage is off and the procedure is declared successful except that he'll have a bit of blur in the affected eye for two or three days--doc says this is normal even I didn't have that myself. He'll need special eyedrops for the next week but otherwise is back to normal. Thanks for the support everybody.

We are back from the post op visit for Hombre's eye, the bandage is off and the procedure is declared successful except that he'll have a bit of blur in the affected eye for two or three days--doc says this is normal even I didn't have that myself. He'll need special eyedrops for the next week but otherwise is back to normal. Thanks for the support everybody.

Glad to hear that it went well.

Mr sg had cataract surgery yesterday, it too went well. Things are still a little blurry but he was amazed how much brighter colors are. They'll do the second eye in a week or two. Right now he's having a little trouble wearing his glasses because the surgery corrected the vision in one eye - so he can see good in one eye without glasses, or good in the other eye with glasses. Interesting.

And see, you continue to change my world view. We have cousins near the Texas gulf coast (Houston area) who run a cattle ranch. In fact, when you think of anywhere in Texas, you think bluebonnets, oil, cattle ranches, and refineries. But just as I had never mentally mixed Florida gators with black bears, I had never thought about cattle ranches/operations in Florida. :)

But live and learn.

The History of Florida Cattle Ranching - Tampa Magazines

Ours is just a small herd. Since we 'retired' from the horse business our pasture has been empty and the fences need constant repair so we let a friend use the fields for his cattle in exchange for maintaining fence. My great grandfather who was born in Florida in the early 40's, 1840's that is, raised cattle and hay.

Generations ago it was common to let cattle 'free-range' - they also helped clear the land, but were pretty
'scruffy' by todays standards.

Ha-ha, it's a difference between generations too :) I'm not a spy, I'm an troll from Putin's School of Trolls somewhere near St.Petersburg (I know only Pulkovo, Kupchino and Murino , but Troll school is somewhere else :)))

What!?! Spies and trolls? How disappointing...I was hoping we were keeping company with those Mysterious Masters of the Cyber-Universe - the Russian hacker! ;)

To work as hacker I need to be at least a lieutenant of FSB/KGB and so on! TO become it I must read every day army regulation and train to use Mysterious Cyber-Hacker tools! :)

But now I'm training in Borderlands :) An excellent game!

Glad to hear that it went well.

Mr sg had cataract surgery yesterday, it too went well. Things are still a little blurry but he was amazed how much brighter colors are. They'll do the second eye in a week or two. Right now he's having a little trouble wearing his glasses because the surgery corrected the vision in one eye - so he can see good in one eye without glasses, or good in the other eye with glasses. Interesting.

You should have told us and I would have added him to the vigil list with Hombre.

But he would agree with Mr. sg. He just went out to get the mail and said the difference is amazing. With the eye that had the surgery, the colors are sharp, whites are white, and blacks are black. With the unaffected eye--he has surgery on that next month--he says it is like looking through a tobacco stain--he can't see whites as white at all and that before the surgery was his better eye. Because it deteriorated so slowly, he had no idea how bad his vision had become. :)

But cataract surgery is truly a miracle surgery.

Last edited:

View attachment 173577

View attachment 173578

Thanks SeaGal... I have a special attachment to Black Angus cattle and Suffolk sheep...

You're very welcome - it's pretty neat to have new babies around. Angus are a favorite of mine too. Don't know anything about Suffolk sheep. :)

I think this mama might have a little Brahman in her - a popular cross in Florida.

View attachment 173577

View attachment 173578

Thanks SeaGal... I have a special attachment to Black Angus cattle and Suffolk sheep...

I gave you an agree on the post, not because we have any special affinity for black angus cattle--we grew up with herefords--but because the Black Angus Restaurant is our favorite steak place here. :) It isn't necessarily the best steak in town, but it is very good and affordable, we can almost always get a nice booth or table, and it is blessedly quiet and pleasant compared to most restaurants these days.

To work as hacker I need to be at least a lieutenant of FSB/KGB and so on! TO become it I must read every day army regulation and train to use Mysterious Cyber-Hacker tools! :)

Well...Russian spy, troll, hacker, KGB lieutenant or Borderland warrior in training - it is a pleasure to have you here. :)

View attachment 173577

View attachment 173578

You're very welcome - it's pretty neat to have new babies around. Angus are a favorite of mine too. Don't know anything about Suffolk sheep. :)

I think this mama might have a little Brahman in her - a popular cross in Florida.

I would agree with the Brahma cross. That big flap on her chest is very Brahma and not at all Black Angus.

I played the first 2 Borderlands games through twice each. I haven't played the Pre-Sequel yet; I usually buy my games when they are ridiculously cheap. :p

Forum List

Back