USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay, here's the guy who rarely watches TV yet a week ago I found Eureka on Amazon Prime. Years ago I remember watching a couple of episodes and liked the show so over the last week I watched all 5 seasons. Other than the oft unnecessary (and banal) drama I found myself drawn into the show and having just watched the final show this evening I find myself sad and upset it's over........ Never expected a reaction like that from me....... Feels weird......

Other than the oft unnecessary (and banal) drama I found myself drawn into the show and having just watched the final show this evening I find myself sad and upset it's over........ Never expected a reaction like that from me....... Feels weird.....

You surely are not looking for a safe space are you?

Okay, here's the guy who rarely watches TV yet a week ago I found Eureka on Amazon Prime. Years ago I remember watching a couple of episodes and liked the show so over the last week I watched all 5 seasons. Other than the oft unnecessary (and banal) drama I found myself drawn into the show and having just watched the final show this evening I find myself sad and upset it's over........ Never expected a reaction like that from me....... Feels weird......

I've heard the name, but have no idea what the show is about. :)

Okay, watched the trailer and I still don't know what it is about. :)

Okay, watched the trailer and I still don't know what it is about. :)

Eureka (TV Series 2006–2012) - IMDb

Eureka

It's kind of a science fiction comedic drama.

Yawn. Good morning all. Here I am up before 7 a.m. mostly by accident. But since I was up, decided to stay up. In a couple of hours will go for breakfast somewhere and then deliver daughter to the airport for a noonish flight home to California. Also on standby in case I'm needed to get a shirttail cousin to the Amtrak station for her trip home to California. And will take Aunt Betty to her doctor's appointment this afternoon. And check on Sister who was reported to be doing poorly yesterday. Then catch up on all the programs we missed this past nine or ten days during our travels et al. The DVR is pretty full.

Okay coffee is ready and daughter is up. Later all.

Springtime update from the upper Ohio River valley! All the crabapple trees are now in bloom! I even saw my first azalea in full bloom today in Thompson Park! In spite of a light rain and temperatures in the low fifties, spring seems to be unafraid at last.

I spent many spring weekends at the Presbyterian church camp on the banks of Little Beaver Creek. The creek (pronounced 'crick' in this neck of the woods) meanders through the center of Columbiana County south of the terminal moraine. The moraine is the point at which the glaciers that carved out the basins that became the Great Lakes finally stopped and melted. The resulting melt water then carved out the steep ravines that make our local topography look like an unmade bed.

The camp is nestled on the West Bank of the creek. It was built shortly after WWII which means it was built shortly before I was built. There were three frame cabins perched on a wooded hillside. They smelled of dank and damp. Fitted out with metal bunk bed frames, each cabin could house twelve eager campers. A large dining hall equipped with a modern kitchen was built in the early 60s and served as meeting place, stage for theatricals, chapel and contingency against foul weather.

At the same time as the dining hall was built, the Presbyterians built an in-ground swimming pool. The pool was always too cold compared to frolicking in the creek, but he girls preferred the pool, so the boys liked the pool. But the creek was chock full of crawdads and frogs and salamanders. Presbyterian girls have charms, but unrequited love will drive a boy to the frogs pretty quick.

As a Boy Scout I camped at the church camp more often than as a Presbyterian kid. The Scouts called our sojourns "Conservatives Camps". That was a euphemism to hide the real intent, get the boys out there to control the wild grape vines invading the hardwood forest. We would pitch our WWII surplus canvas tents along the lawn above the bank of the creek. There were fire pits for us to sit around and toast marshmallows and roast hot dogs and sing camp songs.

In the morning we were roused by the smell of bacon and eggs wafting from the dining hall. An effort to fortify us for our day of labor in the woods. Armed with axes, machetes and brown glass gallon jugs of a mystery herbicide, we waged war on the hanging vines. Chop them at the root, pour on the herbicide and struggle to drag the vines from the branches of the oaks and poplars.

After six hours of this we were granted a respite on the banks of the creek to catch toads and frogs and any other unfortunate water creature stupid enough to present itself before young boys sweaty from silvan labor. We sure had a great time!

Last edited:
Good morning everybody and I believe I've found my cause for April. Going to the grocery store is generally one of those not-all-that-enjoyable tasks that we all do, and it should be as quick and efficient as possible. It should not be a periodic scavenger hunt to figure out where they put the chili or the soy sauce this time.

So I'm pushing for a national law that says the grocery stores may reorganize and reposition everything once every five years instead of every three months.

31288519_2144717495762963_4979483330912190464_n.jpg

Good morning everybody and I believe I've found my cause for April. Going to the grocery store is generally one of those not-all-that-enjoyable tasks that we all do, and it should be as quick and efficient as possible. It should not be a periodic scavenger hunt to figure out where they put the chili or the soy sauce this time.

So I'm pushing for a national law that says the grocery stores may reorganize and reposition everything once every five years instead of every three months.

31288519_2144717495762963_4979483330912190464_n.jpg

I am definitely still a child. :p

I've been taking it easy for the last two days.

I was cleaning out all the junk in our walk in closet and was taking out a big bag of clothes ,when I tripped over one of the wheels of Mr. P's walker near the front door.
I have a rug burn and big bruise on my right knee, I sprung my third finger on my right hand and I twisted my back as I fell.
I'm getting better, just taking it easy and watching Netflix. :)
Mr. P is taking good care of me. :biggrin:
He said when he sprays the muscle pain reliever on my back, that he watches my muscles dance around on my back.
I can't stand up long enough to cook without my back muscles going into spasms..... so Mr. P has been getting take out dinners from one of our local restaurants.

I've been taking it easy for the last two days.

I was cleaning out all the junk in our walk in closet and was taking out a big bag of clothes ,when I tripped over one of the wheels of Mr. P's walker near the front door.
I have a rug burn and big bruise on my right knee, I sprung my third finger on my right hand and I twisted my back as I fell.
I'm getting better, just taking it easy and watching Netflix. :)
Mr. P is taking good care of me. :biggrin:
He said when he sprays the muscle pain reliever on my back, that he watches my muscles dance around on my back.
I can't stand up long enough to cook without my back muscles going into spasms..... so Mr. P has been getting take out dinners from one of our local restaurants.

Bummer. Seems like there is a lot of that going around. Aunt Betty thought she broke her toe night before last but says the pain has eased up so she doesn't think it is likely broken now. Sister Ann took a bad fall and our neighbor is on crutches from a sprained ankle this week. I checked the phase of the moon and we can't blame it on that.

Forum List

Back