USMB Coffee Shop IV

Mornin' All.

boedicca-albums-mo-mo-mo-boedicca-s-stuff-picture6135-coffeebath-1.gif

Morning, everybody. Mrs. BBD is in Rockford at a sewing class. Later this afternoon going over to a friends house for ribs on the grill. Nice day here. Coffee is especially good this morning.

I might have to take my own advice here. 5k this morning. Didn't train and was about 15 seconds off last year. Better get most of my mowing done today before the soreness sets in Sunday morning.

There are these two ladies in their 60's that always remind me that I can do better with this running stuff. They don't say a word, just start out faster and beat me by five minutes.

Morning. I survived the night. I have not dared to use my computer since yesterday because of severe thunderstorms in Britain. There was one directly overhead last night and I disconnected the telephone line and removed my TV arial, in case the house was hit.

Smart. :) I unplug my everything too, when severe storms hit the coast. I have my battery operated CD player and over 1500 CDs from which to select any tune that matches my mood and settles me down..:lol:
I've had 3 computers zapped in the past 15 years in Charlotte so I finally learned to keep them unplugged until use. The last one that got fried, I had 2 surge protecters hooked together. Didn't help.

Little Miss Harper was visiting me yesterday. My two youngest were taking her out and about. All of a sudden Harper gets this look of concentration and of course we have a full diaper to deal with. After some inventory checking, it is discovered we are out of wipes. Had to make due with a few slightly wetted paper hand towels. My two seemed relieved I changed it. :)

So I took a detour while running errands this morning and stopped by the MINI dealership to give the latest Gen 3 hardtops a test drive. Gotta admit that I was seriously impressed by the base model. In green mode it can get close to 40 mpg while in sport mode it goes like a demon. Trouble is Mrs Te doesn't want to compromise on the space in the Countryman. So I am just going to have to wait until 2017 when they install those new engines in the next generation. /sigh

Mornin' folks.

Sitting here drinking my coffee, waiting for hubby to get back from yard sales to see if he scored anything.

Morning. I survived the night. I have not dared to use my computer since yesterday because of severe thunderstorms in Britain. There was one directly overhead last night and I disconnected the telephone line and removed my TV arial, in case the house was hit.

Smart. :) I unplug my everything too, when severe storms hit the coast. I have my battery operated CD player and over 1500 CDs from which to select any tune that matches my mood and settles me down..:lol:
I've had 3 computers zapped in the past 15 years in Charlotte so I finally learned to keep them unplugged until use. The last one that got fried, I had 2 surge protecters hooked together. Didn't help.

We hate having to shut everything down during thunderstorms though so after Hombre's computer got zapped twice in consecutive days, we invested in those big, battery backed up heavy duty surge protectors. They sound an alarm if there is unusual electrical activity or power interruption or fluctuations and they really do protect. Cost anywhere from $80 to $2000+ for each--ours ran about $100 I think--but they have sufficient plug ins for all your expensive stuff like phones, printers, copy machines, etc. and since we started using them, no more problems. They are especially good during those pesky brown outs where you get wild power fluctuations that are so hard on computer equipment--the battery instantly kicks in and keeps a steady flow to the computer--and that gives us time to take any necessary remedial action.

And good morning everybody. Sadly, I have to announce that July 19 seems to be the single most boring day in history--absolutely nothing of common interest seems to have happened on a July 19. :(

So in lieu of a history lesson today, I shall have an impromptu etymology class. The origin of today's word is unknown, but the dynamics behind it will be obvious to most of us. The word is:

Exhaustipated: The meaning of which is "Too tired to give a sh*t."

Aren't ya'll glad I signed in today? (....runs....)

We hate having to shut everything down during thunderstorms though so after Hombre's computer got zapped twice in consecutive days, we invested in those big, battery backed up heavy duty surge protectors. They sound an alarm if there is unusual electrical activity or power interruption or fluctuations and they really do protect. Cost anywhere from $80 to $2000+ for each--ours ran about $100 I think--but they have sufficient plug ins for all your expensive stuff like phones, printers, copy machines, etc. and since we started using them, no more problems. They are especially good during those pesky brown outs where you get wild power fluctuations that are so hard on computer equipment--the battery instantly kicks in and keeps a steady flow to the computer--and that gives us time to take any necessary remedial action.

:thup: UPS or Uninterrupted Power Supply is what I think the acronym stands for. I have 2 of them and they are well worth the investment. They won't keep everything running indefinitely but they are way superior to power strips with "surge protectors".

In essence they are like very large laptop batteries. They are constantly being charged from the power outlet while your equipment is running off the batteries. If there is a surge it hits the UPS charger rather than your PC and the UPS device is built to handle those surges.

And good morning everybody. Sadly, I have to announce that July 19 seems to be the single most boring day in history--absolutely nothing of common interest seems to have happened on a July 19. :(

So in lieu of a history lesson today, I shall have an impromptu etymology class. The origin of today's word is unknown, but the dynamics behind it will be obvious to most of us. The word is:

:lmao:

Can't sleep tonight... Just not sleepy.

I was the same way last night. I didn't sleep at all. I get these nights where everything just cramps up on me and it keeps me awake. last night was one of them. I'm trying to sleep a little now but still can't

I found that cramps seem to happen when I'm low on magnesium. Found some tablets that actually aborb into the body when you take them. One or two days and things are good.

Amen to that. I was trying to treat my night leg and foot cramps with extra potassium without much luck. And then I was reading up on how severely the meds we take for acid reflux (GERD) leach calcium and especially magnesium from the body. I regularly take calcium but added a magnesium supplement. Those night cramps are now much more rare, less severe, and shorter lived.

:D Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious:

The roots of the word have been defined as follows: super- "above", cali- "beauty", fragilistic- "delicate", expiali- "to atone", and -docious "educable", with the sum of these parts signifying roughly "Atoning for educability through delicate beauty." According to the film, it is defined as "something to say when you have nothing to say".

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was first added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 1986 and, as of March 2014, does not appear in the Merriam-Webster dictionary
wiki

I am feeling quite good about my life right now. Good plans for my retirement in a few years. My career going well. Others things are nice and going well, in general. Knock on wood, of course. :)

Last edited:

I've got a good one:

On July 19, 1969, Apollo 11 entered lunar orbit!

I've got a good one:

On July 19, 1969, Apollo 11 entered lunar orbit!

Yeah I saw that one, but I had included the Apollo 11 launch a couple of days or so ago and was waiting for the moon walk tomorrow. But it is noteworthy that this was the day they arrived and started getting ready to descend to the surface of the moon.

Forum List

Back