USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Gracie & Mr. G now homeless again
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Ringel and Mrs. Ringel awaiting diagnosis on Monday.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

To all our families, associates, acquaintances, friends, and foes, may you all be blessed with something to be thankful for.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY!!!
o-THANKSGIVING-TRADITIONS-facebook.jpg

We don't do Thanksgiving (best wishes anyway)

But we do Black Friday. Seems it's spreading around the world.

Thank you Mindful. And yes, Thanksgiving is a uniquely American holiday commemorating the first settlers (mostly English) on our east coast when they held a fall festival/feast to thank God for a successful harvest ahead of the winter. They arrived too late to plant and harvest before their first winter and food was in very short supply and many died. So they were extra grateful not to have to go through another winter like that.

And the concept of the fall festival feast caught on and was celebrated informally until President Abraham Lincoln, in 1863, declared it a national holiday of thanksgiving to God on the fourth Thursday of November. And that made Thanksgiving a national tradition though most people see it as a secular holiday.

It is one of my favorite holidays as it gives me an excuse to trot out my culinary skills for special foods I don't normally make and enjoy a wonderful meal with friends and family without the stress of gift giving and such. Not that I oppose gift giving but it is somewhat stressful trying to get the right thing for each person, make sure nobody is left out, etc.

The Thanksgiving meal was awesome of course for me it's the stuffing that makes the whole dinner and as I knew would happen we have lots of leftovers...... :thup:

This has been a pretty shitty day. The pumpkin pie in the fridge, which I planned to eat for my Thanksgiving dinner, turns out to be the kind that I have to bake, not one that is premade. It was supposed to be frozen until baked, then it gets baked for an hour and cools for 2 hours. I had some Cheez Its to fill my stomach while I wait for it, but it won't be done baking for another 30 minutes.

I just got done with a test in my coding class. I'm thinking that coding will not be for me. I plan to finish getting the associate's degree if I can, but I will be looking into other jobs. I still haven't been able to do the coding that I had to drive to Atlanta to get an access fob for. I got the key fob, and can access the system, but I don't know what to do once I'm there, and the woman in charge of my little internship won't be available until probably Monday.

Before I started on the test, I went to the fridge to get the pie. I found out it needed to be baked, but I also found out the stupid dog pissed and shit all over the living room floor. While I was cleaning that up, I saw that the dog also decided to chew a new hole into the living room carpet. It's been maybe 26 hours since everyone else left for their Thanksgiving vacation and I'm already considering putting the dog outside with his shock collar on and letting him stay there.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to work on writing a paper or work on a group project tonight. Fun, fun.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. :smile:

Of course I missed my mom and thought back to how she had plans this Thanksgiving to use my grandma's china that my uncle brought from Wisconsin in the spring. She knew it could be her last and wanted it to be special. Also, she was so looking forward to the arrival of her great granddaughter. I know holidays can be difficult after losing a loved one, but that beautiful girl has brought so much joy during a time of sadness that it was easy to feel thankful and grateful.:smiliehug:

Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Traditions abound on such a holiday. Food, parades, football and family combine to make ritual into tradition. One of our familiy’s traditions is the retelling of the Legendary Big Snow of 1951.

We get our share of snow in these parts. A good snow is 6”-8”. A memorable snow is 10”-16”. A huge snow is 18”-24”. The Big Snow of -951 was 38”. It happened on the Friday after Thanksgiving 1051 before that day was called “Black Friday”.

But as Pop used to tell the tale each Thanksgiving, the snow would get deeper and deeper the way fish get bigger every time the angler tells the tale. Details got gorier too. By the last Thanksgiving Pop spun the yarn, tanks from the Army were rumbling through the streets of East Liverpool delivering supplies and retrieving orpses.

Tonight we did not forget to tell the story again.

Glad you had a good day. I spent it visiting someone in a care home. A salutary tale; people just sitting there, just shadows of their former selves. God's waiting room. A heart breaker.

I got chatting to one of the staff there. She was from Kazakstan. Another salutary tale. Of hardship. Three months of no income, no lighting or heating, in -30 Celsius. Things I've taken for granted all my life.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. :smile:

Of course I missed my mom and thought back to how she had plans this Thanksgiving to use my grandma's china that my uncle brought from Wisconsin in the spring. She knew it could be her last and wanted it to be special. Also, she was so looking forward to the arrival of her great granddaughter. I know holidays can be difficult after losing a loved one, but that beautiful girl has brought so much joy during a time of sadness that it was easy to feel thankful and grateful.:smiliehug:

The first holidays after the loss of a loved one are the hardest Sherry. I know what you are feeling. Sending you a comforting (((hug))) across the miles. And what a joy to see that grand baby growing up.

Glad you had a good day. I spent it visiting someone in a care home. A salutary tale; people just sitting there, just shadows of their former selves. God's waiting room. A heart breaker.

I got chatting to one of the staff there. She was from Kazakstan. Another salutary tale. Of hardship. Three months of no income, no lighting or heating, in -30 Celsius. Things I've taken for granted all my life.

There are so many things we do take for granted Mindful, and so many things that can remind us of the blessings we have. You might have had the most important Thanksgiving Day of all of us.

Well I am making baby steps towards doing some new paintings. I have set up my easel and purchased some canvases. I am now spending time looking at the blank white canvas, and imagining all kinds of pictures on it.
I realized I can paint anything from the bottom of hell to the heights of heaven.

In the words of Bob Dylan. " I am an artist and I don't look back, I can paint the sun into the night time, and make the daytime black.

Below is a picture I painted years ago and although I never finished it , I composed the whole picture on a blank canvas in half a hour, straight from my subconscious mind. Of course I worked on it for hours after that, but the original composition was complete in half a hour.

I did not know what the painting was about until years later when I looked at it and suddenly understood it was a self portrait of my disintegrated personality. I was in a crisis at the time of painting it
$1010.jpg
, and painting the picture helped me externalize my inner conflicts.

I'm in Alaska. It's November. It's raining!

And here in New Mexico it's also November and dry as a bone--the few weather systems passing through haven't accomplished much in the way of moisture. At least you don't have a fire danger problem. See? There's always a bright side. :)
Not yet we don't but a "dry" winter will certainly make for a bad fire season later on. And our forest management has been as crappy as Cali's in most ways. We are just fortunate that lots fewer people live in lots more territory.

I just went out into the kitchen to grab a banana and saw this in the living room:

IMG_20181123_133032.jpg

The fact the dog is still alive seems like admirable restraint on my part. That's the third time he's torn up the carpet since everyone left Wednesday evening, in addition to shitting and pissing on the carpet, tearing open his bed, and running all the way down the street when everyone left, chasing the car. :mad:

I just went out into the kitchen to grab a banana and saw this in the living room:

View attachment 230419

The fact the dog is still alive seems like admirable restraint on my part. That's the third time he's torn up the carpet since everyone left Wednesday evening, in addition to shitting and pissing on the carpet, tearing open his bed, and running all the way down the street when everyone left, chasing the car. :mad:

Some dogs not properly trained will sometimes demonstrate their separation anxiety and/or anger/distress when members of their 'pack' leave like that. The dog needs some really serious training. I know it isn't your responsibility nor should you incur the expense as many owners don't have the necessary knowledge and skill to know how to train a destructive dog and need professional help. I can imagine how frustrating for you though.

Forum List

Back