USMB Coffee Shop IV

Two O'clock and I can't bloody well sleep. I went to bed early at about ten pm, because I was tired, and woke up at 12 am and have been awake ever since.

I should be able to sleep as I have black satin sheets that my landlord gave me when he was renovating my flat.
You cannot get more comfortable than satin sheets. They are unashamed luxury.

Two O'clock and I can't bloody well sleep. I went to bed early at about ten pm, because I was tired, and woke up at 12 am and have been awake ever since.

I should be able to sleep as I have black satin sheets that my landlord gave me when he was renovating my flat.
Satin sheets are indeed decadent. Why can't you sleep, Dajjal?

Hi there, nice to hear from you. I just can't sleep. I tried for two hours but just laid awake. So I am surfing the web until I get tired.

funny-videos-funny-cats-funny-ca1.jpg

I prefer Egyptian cotton sheets myself, just received a new set I purchased on sale for $42 shipped.

Hi there, nice to hear from you. I just can't sleep. I tried for two hours but just laid awake. So I am surfing the web until I get tired.
Been there done that....... Still do it all too often these days.

Normal summer has arrived in Albuquerque so we are now into the high 90's each day--haven't reached 100 yet, But the heat is intense enough you don't want to stay out in it for very long. In the shade its always tolerable though. So far the monsoon rains have been mostly bust for us, but hope things will improve.
Same here, normal summer has arrived...for now. 15-20 degrees cooler, mid-60s, and that makes things lots more tolerable. You might not believe how difficult it is for lots of us to sleep up here when it's as hot as it was these past couple of weeks. And, the smoke has blown some other direction, so we don't have that to contend with, either.

We would suffer as you do without air conditioning. I don't know how folks coped before air conditioning but then we didn't have it as a kid growing up. But there was always a night breeze, and we could sleep with the doors and windows wide open in perfect safety. Sometimes if it was really hot we would make our beds outside.

Normal summer has arrived in Albuquerque so we are now into the high 90's each day--haven't reached 100 yet, But the heat is intense enough you don't want to stay out in it for very long. In the shade its always tolerable though. So far the monsoon rains have been mostly bust for us, but hope things will improve.
Same here, normal summer has arrived...for now. 15-20 degrees cooler, mid-60s, and that makes things lots more tolerable. You might not believe how difficult it is for lots of us to sleep up here when it's as hot as it was these past couple of weeks. And, the smoke has blown some other direction, so we don't have that to contend with, either.

We would suffer as you do without air conditioning. I don't know how folks coped before air conditioning but then we didn't have it as a kid growing up. But there was always a night breeze, and we could sleep with the doors and windows wide open in perfect safety. Sometimes if it was really hot we would make our beds outside.

I sometimes wonder what sort of lunacy led people to settle in hotter parts of the world before the invention of air conditioning. :p

I sometimes wonder what sort of lunacy led people to settle in hotter parts of the world before the invention of air conditioning. :p
True, I often imagine what it was like traveling across the Sonoran desert on horseback with a couple canteens of water.

Got one of these showing up for meals now. Hardly six weeks old I'd say.

my_name_butterscotch_kitten_cute_loveable_high_contrast_hd-wallpaper-400277.jpg

not even that big yet.

True, I often imagine what it was like traveling across the Sonoran desert on horseback with a couple canteens of water.
Every time I take that trip between Vaughn and Roswell I imagine pioneers traveling across that landscape via wagon and on foot and thank God it's not me traveling that way back then......... Vaughn to Roswell is 96 miles of nothing, five minutes into the hour and fifteen minute drive I'm asking myself; "are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet?"

I think some thought went into it. Houses were designed so that the prevailing winds of the area would create breezes through windows and doors. The world was much safer so you could sleep with windows and doors open or outdoors safely. And again all things are relative. The human has an amazing capacity to adapt to its environment, maybe much moreso than most species on Earth. For us it just comes down to what we are used to.

Yes. The desert dwellers in the Sahara and other inhospitably hot environs present unique challenges but still there are critters, including human ones, that manage to survive there.

Forum List

Back