USMB Coffee Shop IV

I was up at 7:30 this morning but didn't get to sleep 'til after 4. I've had 2 mugs so far and will need at least one more before I attempt to drive to town to open up.

LOL. Was he wearing his glasses?
What made the situation worse was that Mrs. Jughead also wound up laughing. She blamed me by saying that my laughing caused her to laugh as well and causing a scene. I don't know why she got all worked up, I did apologize to the fellow...:lol:

"Weeds" are in the eye of the beholder. Some of us call them "volunteers". :eusa_angel:

After all who's to say that these short grasses we're standardized to are the best use of land?
hmmm...you may have something there. Weeds could indeed be in the eye of the beholder, and if it'll save me $$$ on weed spray and lawn fertilizer, then I'll gladly be the beholder. I'll explain this to the neighbors tonight and see their reaction, not to mention Mrs Jughead...:lol:

My boss won the primary for a state house seat last night. It is a strongly Republican area, so he should win in the fall. Interesting to see what, if anything, changes here at work.

What made the situation worse was that Mrs. Jughead also wound up laughing. She blamed me by saying that my laughing caused her to laugh as well and causing a scene. I don't know why she got all worked up, I did apologize to the fellow...:lol:

"Weeds" are in the eye of the beholder. Some of us call them "volunteers". :eusa_angel:

After all who's to say that these short grasses we're standardized to are the best use of land?
hmmm...you may have something there. Weeds could indeed be in the eye of the beholder, and if it'll save me $$$ on weed spray and lawn fertilizer, then I'll gladly be the beholder. I'll explain this to the neighbors tonight and see their reaction, not to mention Mrs Jughead...:lol:

I just happen to have the figures from seven years in this house...

Grass seed ....... $0.00
Lawn Fertilizer... $0.00
Weed treatment.. $0.00 (minus labor in garden)
Watering lawn..... 0 gallons, 0 days
Volunteers.......... Xthousand blackberries and indeterminate amount of firewood

On the other hand I did have to unseat a cat who thinks he's a bird from unmowed trees, three times.

:coffee:

Morning folks! Today is National Root Beer Float Day...:thup:

free_beer_logo2014.png

http://www.fabuloussavers.com/new_w...ay_2012_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_1920.jpg

Have a great day!

I used to love me some A&W Root Beer Floats or just plain root beer in those tall frosted glasses and service to the car. Great days. :thup:

Yeah. When we were kids we would walk a mile on a hot summer day to the A&W on Tustin Ave. in Orange, CA and buy us the biggest root beer floats we could. I truly miss those innocent times.

I just happen to have the figures from seven years in this house...

Grass seed ....... $0.00
Lawn Fertilizer... $0.00
Weed treatment.. $0.00 (minus labor in garden)
Watering lawn..... 0 gallons, 0 days
Volunteers.......... Xthousand blackberries and indeterminate amount of firewood

On the other hand I did have to unseat a cat who thinks he's a bird from unmowed trees, three times.

:coffee:

Big spender!! :D

A few months ago as we were walking back home from the park, we saw a fellow watering his lawn which was comprised almost entirely of weeds. I really tried not to laugh, but I just couldn't help it. Although I did apologize.

It wasn't the first time I saw this fellow watering the weeds...:lol:

Maybe he just likes to see new growth of any kind...:lol:
I still can't get that scene out of my mind. It took a lot of effort to stop myself from literally rolling on the sidewalk ..:lol:

It sounds like my neighbor's yard. And he's got sprinklers for the weeds! Poor guy. He is actually trying.

LOL. Was he wearing his glasses?

Lawns are a lot of work, I do wonder why we do it to ourselves sometimes

Maybe he just likes to see new growth of any kind...:lol:
I still can't get that scene out of my mind. It took a lot of effort to stop myself from literally rolling on the sidewalk ..:lol:

It sounds like my neighbor's yard. And he's got sprinklers for the weeds! Poor guy. He is actually trying.

Yanno.... wet soil is pretty essential for pulling up weeds. That way you can get the whole root out. If you don't get the whole root many of them just come right back stronger.

I don't water my weeds (too rainy here) but I do go weed-pullin' after a rain. It's way easier.

Last edited:
Good morning all. Once you eliminate all the political stuff, war stuff, and obscure theater and sports stuff, August 6 has been a really slow news day throughout history. Of note, NASA did announce on this day, August 6, 1996, that life may have once existed on Mars. But I don't think that was really all that much news to anybody.

You might be interested that on August 6, 1961, the first case of motion sickness in space reported. As one who got car sick as a child, had to overcome other types of motion sickness on carnival rides etc., I would think being sick in the small confines of a space vessel would be particularly yucky. I am happy that I have never been air sick or sea sick though despite some really bumpy airplane rides and some very heavy seas.

Yanno.... wet soil is pretty essential for pulling up weeds. That way you can get the whole root out. If you don't get the whole root many of them just come right back stronger.

I don't water my weeds (too rainy here) but I do go weed-pullin' after a rain. It's way easier.

Yes, I do that too. I also do the same with Bermuda grass.

Lawns are a lot of work, I do wonder why we do it to ourselves sometimes

Eggzackley. It's like we move into a house in Dubuque and immediately go, "if only this were a savanna...."

Well...the high bidder paid! Yay! I also made arrangements with the vet office (payment arrangements) and now karma can have that big ol cyst on her shoulder removed surgically. It is going to cost about 425.00...so...guess what paid for that? :)

Amazing how sometimes things happen like this. Good for you, good for Karma. Hope she comes through her surgery with flying colors. Congratulations on the successful sale.

I'm miserable... Can't sleep. 10-325 Norco doesn't help. I've got pain in both legs, lower back, shoulders and my right arm. I'm cold. Haven't been eating and as a result I've lost 20 pounds. Generalized weakness. I have an appointment with my doctor next week but I don't know if I can hold out that long. Time for some action. Got something going on... Wonder what?

If you are having that much pain, go to the doc's NOW. Don't wait. This seems to be increasingly bad.

Around here prickly pear is common and is generally considered a nuisance--a 'weed' if you will--so we dig it out and get rid of it when it comes up. So it was really amusing to know that folks from back east, who had never seen the stuff before, have landscaped their yards with it. :) As for watering weeds, who knows. Maybe they are more aesthetically pleasing to some folks that just bare ground would be? Or they hope they will bloom as wild flowers?

First day of kindergarten for the little one. She's going to be gone so long!

Aw I remember that day. It was a loooong day for me. But when I went to pick her up she didnt want to leave.

Now that she is 15.... *sigh* It was like I blinked.

Hang in there, keep yourself busy :)

Don't ever blink! This kinda sums things up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here prickly pear is common and is generally considered a nuisance--a 'weed' if you will--so we dig it out and get rid of it when it comes up. So it was really amusing to know that folks from back east, who had never seen the stuff before, have landscaped their yards with it. :) As for watering weeds, who knows. Maybe they are more aesthetically pleasing to some folks that just bare ground would be? Or they hope they will bloom as wild flowers?

I've had people stop and ask if I'd mind if they picked the galax on the property. And I think there's ginseng up there too though I haven't explored it. And all manner of mushrooms. And wildflowers, some of which are quite special.

I've had sunflower and tomato volunteers among others -- the former from errant birdseed, the latter from tossing a tomato core thataway...

Last edited:
I've been busy lately, too. We finally got the last roof truss in place yesterday. Right now, I'm waiting for my milk to curdle so I can put another batch of feta in the brine.
For all you lawn aficionados, take a look at the landscaping around that shed, that's my idea of a nice yard.

Attachments

• $last truss.jpg
    $last truss.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 25

Forum List

Back