USMB Coffee Shop IV

I look up baby quilt ideas for charity quilts at least a time or two every week. Today I found the most intriguing group of stars for little ones, and wouldn't you know it, "New Mexico" is in its name! Here's just a few of the adorable New Mexico Star block found here and there on my search engine...

New Mexico Star Pattern ..........................

1697486426261.jpeg

1697487032843.jpeg

1697486470687.jpeg
1697486509390.jpeg
1697486545544.jpeg

This New Mexico Star complex was found at a quilt show:

1697486666777.jpeg

And this one doesn't need the explanation it didn't get because it's so beautiful:

1697486751410.jpeg

With love to Foxfyre and those who live in or love the great State of New Mexico. The time I went, I was swept off my feet by the cheerful shops with amazing works of art, all New Mexico style.
This Monday morning wasn't so bad, after all. And it started off with sewing silly little squares to make a simple baby quilt from just a little too big to call a postage stamp, but twice as fast to make for a charity bee baby quilt.

Sewing little squares got a little too very boring after several hours! I got about 20 or 30 four-patch-16-squares blocks done, and is not enough already. yawn
I should make something resembling one or more of the quilts above, Tomorrow's a new day.
Thanks to Oddball for the funny cartoons on Saturdays. It's always somewhere between very funny to hilarious! Good job, Oddball! :thup:

And I miss SFC Ollie. Hope he comes back around sometime soon. It took me awhile to get over my super wonderful husband's loss, and I was scarce here for a couple of years going through getting used to just me and the puppies Miss Songie brought into the world, and their first birthday is October 17, which happens to be tomorrow. They're quite a pack and they range in size from 18" tall (Miss beautiful) and 65" tall when Mr. Knothead (aka "Notty) rests his paws on my shoulders when I bring them canned doggie vittles. I'm only 61" tall, so he definitely looks downward for a slurpy kiss. lol. I have to figure out a sugar-free birthday treat for tomorrow for all 7 of them including mama dog, Miss Songie. Even so, SFC Ollie lost his beloved wife some time ago now. Hope he's in good health and know how he's been such a good inspiration to all here at one time or another. I enjoyed his stories about his finding his servicemen who died--their remains to their families. He brought so much comfort to those people, I know.

Good night, all. :huddle:

Ha ! I am looking at a much better monitor picture. I thought I was in trouble when my monitor went on the blink, but I purchased a new one and it is a 24 inch high definition monitor, before I only had a 19 inch lower definition one. Now that the problem is solved I am much better off, but I had a worrying half hour when I first connected it. I switched on the power and nothing happened. I could not find a power switch on the monitor at first, but eventually discovered a line of small black buttons on the back and got it working. Hooray! problem solved.

Today my puppies are having a one-year-old birthday party. All six of them are here as is their mommie, Songie. They got double rations and listening to me singing "happy birthday to yooooooo" over their foodfights and assorted mischievious behaviors (or not). Mr. Ringo just jumps and wants the first hug, while I'm thinking "how do I use that doggie flea spray without getting it into wiggly faces and eyes?" sigh It's a good day from morning to night. :) 🦊 🐕🐩🦮🐕‍🦺🐈🥛🧀🍔🍖🍗🫔

1697550703650.jpeg

Ha ! I am looking at a much better monitor picture. I thought I was in trouble when my monitor went on the blink, but I purchased a new one and it is a 24 inch high definition monitor, before I only had a 19 inch lower definition one. Now that the problem is solved I am much better off, but I had a worrying half hour when I first connected it. I switched on the power and nothing happened. I could not find a power switch on the monitor at first, but eventually discovered a line of small black buttons on the back and got it working. Hooray! problem solved.
The large monitors are wonderful especially for those of us getting older, most especially if we work with multiple windows and can't see tiny detail as well as we used to on the tiny monitor screens. Since Hombre and I don't/can't get out as much as we used to and our computers are our primary source of education, recreation, communication, way to work, we splurged and got 27-inch monitors and love them.

I still use my 15" lap top in the living room to play games or do a few other things when the TV doesn't need my full attention, but it is not nearly as satisfying as my PC and 27" monitor.

So enjoy Dajjal. Happy you solved your problem.

Third Tuesdays are when the Charity Bees club meets to make quilts for shelter babies. I got there around 9:45 and sewed until aobut 30 minutes ago on a mindless postage-stamp quilt four patch/16 square blocks, bordered by a beautiful royalty blue which pops every single square to make a nice top. I completed all the blocks necessary for a quilt and got sashes around the first vertical row. At least I now have an idea of how much time it's going to take--it will be done if 5 hours are spent for the next 4 days, and that's even iffy. But I did the drudge work, which is fun when you're charity quilting sisters are always there to share their ups and downs. Today, we laughed away 4 or 5 hours, and I got a lot of stupid ironing done, and I drank the first Dr. Pepper in 3 years after trying to cut down on the sugar because of foot cramps. I found out it wasn't all the sugar to blame, but a low potassium blood count causing my feet to cramp, once or twice, the cramps caused a fall I couldn't lived without. So if you ever get foot cramps due to swelling or just feels like a seizure, pop a potassium pill a day to prevent cramps and seizures of the foot, legs, or even hands. Your body doesn't need to overdose on potassium, just the RDA of 4,700 milligrams per day.

If you're over 55, you won't like the options of not getting enough potassium, and here's a thorough warning of what happens when you are not getting enough potassium for a diet along with a click list of food items that are high in potassium. Even if you're allergic to bananas, it's not the only fruit or vegetable that can furnish you enough potassium to never have a mini-seizure, a stroke, or anything else. If you had a parent who died of a stroke, it's likely dieticians were not being taken seriously about the science behind taking enough potassium if you're eating fast foods or empty calorie foods. Avoid a stroke issue: 21 Healthy Foods That Are High in Potassium

My mother passed away from a stroke, and my father passed away from a heart attack, both of which potassium could've given them a little more time to watch the children graduate from high school and the grandchildren growing up. My potassium is so low, I get cramps in the feet or hands if I miss 2 days of forgetting to take my potassium boost. I pray none of you ever have to deal with leg cramps nor a stroke. If you do have a leg cramp and it won't go away, if you're okay with sending up a little prayer SOS to the man upstairs, take a deep breath, pray, and rejoice when the seized muscle relaxes. That will help you get to the shelf with the potassium on it hopefully near a water faucet. if you get the potassium chloride type, you need to have a 1/8 measuring spoon on hand and a 12 oz glass of water.

My favorite prayer is a prayer for our country and those that are torn by warmongering land-grabbers. I hope that is not considered political to just hope for peace on earth and peace in our country. I have to go upstairs and iron some more postage stamp fabric squares. I sewed together umpteen 1.25" finished squares that started out as 1.75" square cuts with four 90-degree corners. I may just turn on the tv and let someone else do the talking tonight. Have a great evening, everyone. I love Foxfyre's USMB lounge and all who gather here to share their good and bad times, and her prayer list has helped me, I know. ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤎

Yesterday's work at Charity bees--worked on but didn't finish a 4-patch, 16 square baby quilt with royal blue border...

Four Patch ( mine was multicolor with 16 squares sewn together like a postage stamp quilt
1697616201083.jpeg

Close, but mine was a little more frenetic, saved by the royal blue sashes...the patches on my baby quilt measured 1.25 inches by 1.25".

1697616414286.jpeg

1697616509987.jpeg

1697616649447.jpeg

This is kinda-sorta a 4-patch, 16 squares, except without the triangles... closer... closer, but with white sashes...
1697616778646.jpeg
1697616968484.jpeg
1697617055913.jpeg

This first one is closer, but the one below has nine patches, not sixteen patches... and their dull blue is not like my royal blue...:spinner:
Oh, there will never be two homemade quilts alike. Next one has more modern colors but is pure postage stamp, no sashes at all...:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Saving picture for next time's bright colors... mine is so scrappy...
1697617464058.jpeg
1697618145868.jpeg

I have to say it, though. Boring chorings are a lot more fun at a quilting bee day...where you can cut up and laugh and have a good time!
And what else can be more boring than sewing 2400 teenie weensie, itsie bitsie squares together, even if you love every little color in it? :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:
I found one like the one I am making, except I have a lot smaller 4-patch, 16 squares, and the royal blue sashes... this one is more modern colorations, divided by white with little squares in between Oh, and the squares are great big on this one. Details, details, details...
The trouble with white sashes is that a true baby quilt gets burped, squirted, and dragged through the dirt when they start to walk, and the dirt doesn't always wash out unless you use chlorine bleach or fabric whitener which can decimate the colors and fabric details of colorful blocks. Ya might as well just sew two quilt-sized pieces of fabric on either side of the front and back with a little batting in between rather than bleach out a quilt you worked very long and hard on, the equivalent would be building a house and have lightening strike it way too soon after the last board was nailed and painted. :dunno: I do love the little quilt below, however. Colors rock.

1697619488769.jpeg

Last edited:
I found one like the one I am making, except I have a lot smaller 4-patch, 16 squares, and the royal blue sashes... this one is more modern colorations, divided by white with little squares in between Oh, and the squares are great big on this one. Details, details, details...
The trouble with white sashes is that a true baby quilt gets burped, squirted, and dragged through the dirt when they start to walk, and the dirt doesn't always wash out unless you use chlorine bleach or fabric whitener which can decimate the colors and fabric details of colorful blocks. Ya might as well just sew two quilt-sized pieces of fabric on either side of the front and back with a little batting in between rather than bleach out a quilt you worked very long and hard on, the equivalent would be building a house and have lightening strike it way too soon after the last board was nailed and painted. :dunno: I do love the little quilt below, however. Colors rock.

Are there that many babies at your church? What do you do with them all?

Are there that many babies at your church? What do you do with them all?
The group I belong to is a community charitable group. There is a community safe house for women escaping a toxic or brutal marriage/relationship who are expecting or moved here to get a degree from a respected educational university aka Sam Houston State University. Back when it was called Sam Houston State Teacher's College. Every year when I was in high school, juniors were treated to a spring musical theater production, and my junior year, it was "The King and I." The campus was so lovely back then, and even before that I got to go to cheerleader school twice--once in the 7th grade, and once in high school. Where the campus used to be are a lot of parking lots, plus instead of a few hundred students there are several thousands of them, so it's more of a businesslike place than an idyllic place to fall in love. Even so, a lot of students remain there after graduation to teach in town, or start a business. Our church doesn't have a lot of young couples starting families, and I miss that. Even so, our greater community has enough single moms who do not abort a child when unmarried, so our quilt guild as a community-oriented group of women, formed "Charity Bees" who make baby quilts for their little ones as fall turns to a very cold winter that is anything but tropical even though we seldom see snow. I was having a lot of illness for the last 3 years with sore throats and itchy skin, which finally resulted in the likely diagnosis that I'm allergic to many things that are unseen, and it gets me in the chest although I've never smoked cigarettes. So now, I just take a prescription allergy medicine that does not result in sleeping night and day. We distribute them to the safe house that helps traumatized or poor women with newborns, little ones, and big brother quilts where the second child gets a quilt, so does the 3-year old so he or she won't feel left out when the little baby starts getting all his or her mother's attentions, and they're not #1 son or daughter any more. We do what we can since our community has an extra 12,000+ youth population (I don't really know the # of students at the university) We also raise money for community projects that lack funding. It's all good fun for us.

The group I belong to is a community charitable group. There is a community safe house for women escaping a toxic or brutal marriage/relationship who are expecting or moved here to get a degree from a respected educational university aka Sam Houston State University. Back when it was called Sam Houston State Teacher's College. Every year when I was in high school, juniors were treated to a spring musical theater production, and my junior year, it was "The King and I." The campus was so lovely back then, and even before that I got to go to cheerleader school twice--once in the 7th grade, and once in high school. Where the campus used to be are a lot of parking lots, plus instead of a few hundred students there are several thousands of them, so it's more of a businesslike place than an idyllic place to fall in love. Even so, a lot of students remain there after graduation to teach in town, or start a business. Our church doesn't have a lot of young couples starting families, and I miss that. Even so, our greater community has enough single moms who do not abort a child when unmarried, so our quilt guild as a community-oriented group of women, formed "Charity Bees" who make baby quilts for their little ones as fall turns to a very cold winter that is anything but tropical even though we seldom see snow. I was having a lot of illness for the last 3 years with sore throats and itchy skin, which finally resulted in the likely diagnosis that I'm allergic to many things that are unseen, and it gets me in the chest although I've never smoked cigarettes. So now, I just take a prescription allergy medicine that does not result in sleeping night and day. We distribute them to the safe house that helps traumatized or poor women with newborns, little ones, and big brother quilts where the second child gets a quilt, so does the 3-year old so he or she won't feel left out when the little baby starts getting all his or her mother's attentions, and they're not #1 son or daughter any more. We do what we can since our community has an extra 12,000+ youth population (I don't really know the # of students at the university) We also raise money for community projects that lack funding. It's all good fun for us.
Noble work. Kudos.

Forum List

Back