USMB Coffee Shop IV

On this day in history, who remembers using one of these?

10304636.jpg

After the invention of the telephone, there was a time when a line had to be provided, usually by the customer, to every phone you wanted to call from your phone to theirs. That is until three Swedish inventors living in Lindsborg KS (just south of where we used to live in Kansas) invented a switching system that would allow a phone to connect to up to 100 others. And that capability led to their desire to figure out... a way that the caller could connect to other phones instead of having to wait for an operator to be on duty or use a cumbersome and often faulty push button system. And by the mid 1890's they had developed the first dial telephone.

On August 20, 1896, they applied for a patent on their first working dial telephone that could connect to a 100 other phones and the rest, as they say, is history.

It's hard to imagine that every dial telephone now in use is an antique.

Absolutely, I remember when push button phones were kind of cool.

10304636.jpg

After the invention of the telephone, there was a time when a line had to be provided, usually by the customer, to every phone you wanted to call from your phone to theirs. That is until three Swedish inventors living in Lindsborg KS (just south of where we used to live in Kansas) invented a switching system that would allow a phone to connect to up to 100 others. And that capability led to their desire to figure out... a way that the caller could connect to other phones instead of having to wait for an operator to be on duty or use a cumbersome and often faulty push button system. And by the mid 1890's they had developed the first dial telephone.

On August 20, 1896, they applied for a patent on their first working dial telephone that could connect to a 100 other phones and the rest, as they say, is history.

Wow, I remember the dial phones, but I don't remember seeing one like that.

The one I remember looked like this:

th

10304636.jpg

Wow, I remember the dial phones, but I don't remember seeing one like that.

The one I remember looked like this:

th
Just a little before your time...........

This... board... is... weird!

I see no way to go to "last post read," and when I reply to someone, it puts my reply on the first page when there's lots more pages after it.

What in the F is going on here?
I don't know but I DO miss the Quick Reply option at the bottom of an OP or post, so I guess I won't be placing any more quotes in Quote for the Day, OP. :( I WAS going to the first page of that OP and hitting Quick Reply and posting my daily quote. I began doing that when I was part of the staff and had little time to make posts. Now I have more time and I don't need that OP anymore. :thup: Cool how things work out when least expected. :D

How are you doing, baby??? :smiliehug:

Having about 5 lbs of freshly made cream cheese, I decided to make some cheesecakes. Now, there's a boat load of cheesecake going to the co-workers tonight.
Today brought the first "taste" of Fall. Although the temps were about the same as they have been (60-62), the breeze had a touch of a chill. The color of sunshine has taken on a buttery golden hue, special for the Fall. The fireweed has blown out all the way to the top and it won't be too long before the leaves change and tumble.
School starts next week (university) and I'll be teaching Mon and Wed mornings. Eats into my "weekend" but helps cover the bills.
And so, the seasons turn, once again. The world moves on.

I'm not so sure I like this new format for USMB. I'm an old dog and it's not so easy for an old dog to learn new tricks. The old USMB was so much easier to use - or at least I think so. Haven't decided just yet as to what I will do. The choices are to (a) stay and get used to it. (b) Leave and not worry about it. (c) Have more coffee, scratch head, and keep saying "WTF"??? Seems like to me, everytime I nearly win the rat race, they get faster rats.

Forum List

Back