USMB Coffee Shop IV

And for today's history lesson:

Saint Columba was an Irish abbot and missionary credited with spreading Christianity in present-day Scotland. He is remembered as a Christian saint and one of the "Twelve Apostles of Ireland." But the reason he factors into our daily history lesson is not for his religious activities or his contributions to Scotland, Ireland, and the Roman Catholic Church. On this day in history, August 22, 565 A.D., Columba reported seeing a monster in Loch Ness, Scotland. And one of the world's best known legends and mythology and mysteries was born. In a survey in 2006, 'Nessie' was named the world's most well known and famous Scot.

Anybody ever seen 'Nessie'? Do you believe he/she/it exists?

Loch_Ness_Monster.jpg

I repped that!!!!

Thanks. But....but....do you believe?

Saint Columba was an Irish abbot and missionary credited with spreading Christianity in present-day Scotland. He is remembered as a Christian saint and one of the "Twelve Apostles of Ireland." But the reason he factors into our daily history lesson is not for his religious activities or his contributions to Scotland, Ireland, and the Roman Catholic Church. On this day in history, August 22, 565 A.D., Columba reported seeing a monster in Loch Ness, Scotland. And one of the world's best known legends and mythology and mysteries was born. In a survey in 2006, 'Nessie' was named the world's most well known and famous Scot.

Loch_Ness_Monster.jpg

I repped that!!!!

In Nessie? Nope.

Well thanks. We're happy to help when we can but I am always amazed at all the sometimes really odd situations we find ourselves sometimes. :)

IOW, we're transformed from Friends into Stalkers.

;)

Yeah that's reeeeally creepy. "Followers" to me are what somebody who thinks they're God seeks out. Which also says a lot about our narcissistic society. One thing I've never wanted to be in any definition is a "follower".

Indeed. It's a tad Culty...like a Moonie, Jim Jones, or Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh groupie.

Well thanks. We're happy to help when we can but I am always amazed at all the sometimes really odd situations we find ourselves sometimes. :)

;)

That will mean that about a third of my stalkers can't actually stalk me since they've been banned.:D

It's rather sad that two of the members with the highest positive ratings are banned...

;)

That will mean that about a third of my stalkers can't actually stalk me since they've been banned.:D

It's rather sad that two of the members with the highest positive ratings are banned...

Que sera, sera, whatever will be, may be...

Well she deserved to fall, but they have nothing to do with some barbaric practice regarding foot binding.
It's probably on par with the neck stretching thing done in Africa..or the lip thing where they have those huge discs in them.

As someone who is very fond of earlobes, I get the willies when I see the younger generation like this...

134693361_c94f2310f7.jpg

I see that a lot in the Berkeley-Oakland-San Francisco triangle. It's really Not Attractive.

Do I believe in Nessie??? I'm not really sure. I believe that somebody, way back when, saw something but just what it could be is beyond me. If there really is a Nessie, where did she go? With today's technology somebody should be able to find her but then again sometimes ladies can be awfully hard to find. If I had to say one way or the other, I suppose I'd say it's all a hoax. It's sad though because it's such a great hoax. Really good for the tourist business.

Good morning everybody even though it is mostly gone even here in the Mountain zone. I have been kind of dragging the last few days and decided this morning to stay In bed until I wanted to get up so I did. Slept until I could not sleep any more. And what a difference that makes. I feel wonderful today.

But then I found myself not looking forward to logging into USMB so much this morning and sort of bracing for the new look. I know me well enough to know that getting used to using new stuff when we do the old stuff automatically without even thinking about it is always stressful whether it is learning to use a new microwave or new sewing machine or new message board or whatever. It is frustrating here because I want to be here while visiting other boards isn't so bad because I don't care whether I stay or not. But admin is hearing our concerns and complaints and is gradually bringing stuff on line, working out the bugs, and adding features we ask for and I expect that to continue.

So I hope we all gradually become comfortable with the new thing and it begins to be familiar and unstressful. I really don't want to lose what we have had here.

Oh well...more coffee and a Mama Fox ((hug)) to all and then I'm going to see if I can get my new keyboard to work.

Fun fact: I have never used either a sewing machine or a microwave. But I'm navigating this new format pretty much OK once figuring out where the controls are, so all's well.

Foxy, the red arrow just showed up on my screen a few minutes ago - did you get it?

That must be it! I was wondering what was wrong with you.......:p

Sew what? I never needed a sewing machine :dunno:

But I was the one who stopped the car on a remote highway in Nova Scotia on vacation and turned around -- my travelling companion said "why are you turning around"? She hadn't seen what I saw on a lawn with a sign saying "Free" but I did -- it looked like this:

singer-treadle-machine.jpg

We had to unpack her entire car, literally everything, to get that thing situated in the back and then re-pack around it. Customs at the border never had a clue. :eusa_angel:

Wow, that is terrific, I had to pay a pretty penny for mine.

Hope everyone is having an awesome Saturday. :)

Tomorrow I am driving down to Geelong for a special 'Karate Karnival' that the State Team has organized. They are wanting to raise money to go to National tournaments, so, for fifteen dollars, I get three hours of fun. Board breaking, tug of wars, spar a black belt, push up competitions, learn advanced katas, learn Japanese calligraphy, and so much more. There will be so much to do I will not be able to cram in everything, but it is sure to be a great day.

Tracy comes home from interstate tonight, I will ask her tonight if she feels like going tomorrow (I can drive her) and if so, we might have a girl's day! That would be much more enjoyable than going by myself! :)

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Stat's aunt,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel,
Wellness for BBD,
007's Mom,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.
And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, and Becki.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Loch_Ness_Monster.jpg
Back in the mid-70s, my SO and I were traveling around the UK and Europe in a van, one fitted out for sleeping. We were traveling in the Scottish Highlands, and one evening we arrived at Loch Ness. We had dinner in a village near the lake, and then drove to the lake shore to spend the night.

It was November and the lake was deserted; we saw no other campers. We settled down for the night, and then we began to hear rustling and twigs cracking outside the van. My boyfriend opened the car door and didn't see anything, but when we tried to settle back down, we continued to hear the noises outside the van.

It was probably just some small animals, but we were only 25 and got spooked, so we drove back into the village and parked the van in the parking lot of the pub where we'd had dinner--it was closed by that time. We spent the night there instead of by the side of the lake. The whole idea of a sea monster is very suggestive, especially back then when people were less cynical, and, we were just kids. We went back to the lake during the daylight hours and then continued our journey around the Highlands.

We laughed at ourselves, of course, for being so silly. But it was better to get a good night’s sleep than be awake listening to the noises outside the van. Neither of us was generally a worrier, obviously, because we spent 6 months traveling from the UK to North Africa and back, camping most of the time, and not worried about much. But it is the suggestion of Loch Ness being a spooky place, especially at night in winter, that did it.
:cool:

Last edited:
Have fun, Noomi! Take pics and share with us!

I may not be able to. I will be on the floor doing all the activities, so won't be able to carry a camera with me. I hope to get a lot of details written down about what we did, and fingers crossed a couple of pics. :)

Forum List

Back