USMB Coffee Shop IV

mmmm..coffee!

coffee.gif

Just finished prepping nine racks of baby back ribs for the smoker. The rest is up to mr. boe.

I'm also making a triple recipe of Swedish Meatballs today. Certain Scandahoovians just aren't satisfied with mere smoked dead pig. So, a big cooking day. I think I'll earn a glass of wine by early afternoon!

The baby backs make my mouth water just thinking about them. The Swedish meatballs not so much. I have very eclectic tastes enjoying at least some specialties of every cuisine you can name. But Swedish has to be at or near the bottom of the list of food I choose to eat. North Central Kansas has large populations of descendants of several European roots and we all had fun celebrating and enjoying food and customs from those heritages, one of which was Swedish so there was a lot of exposure to Swedish foods prepared by people who really knew how to prepare them. I just couldn't manage to develop an appreciation.

The only Scandahoovian things I like are Swedish Meatballs and lefse.

I use Alton Brown's recipe for the meatballs. It's really quite good. I make them for my folks, who are big fans (Mom is from ND).

Oh, I don't know, I'm rather fond of gjetost (also called brunost). It's a Scandinavian cheese made from goat's milk whey. I make it, but it takes most of the day.

Oh, I don't know, I'm rather fond of gjetost (also called brunost). It's a Scandinavian cheese made from goat's milk whey. I make it, but it takes most of the day.

One of my best friends loves gjetost. Whe I go to visit here, I bring her a stash from a local shop. Can't stomach the stuff myself....but she adores it.

Morning greetings, everyone!
Been a few days, I have so much to finish before it starts getting cold again. The last few days, there's been a very distinct chill to the breeze. It looks like this last weekend of our State Fair will have splendid weather. It's rained pretty much every other day since it started. Doesn't matter, though, since I don't have time to go. (sigh!)

One of my best friends loves gjetost. Whe I go to visit here, I bring her a stash from a local shop. Can't stomach the stuff myself....but she adores it.

I admit it's an acquired taste. I experiment with making different cheeses and this was one that worked out really well.

I admit it's an acquired taste. I experiment with making different cheeses and this was one that worked out really well.

In general, I'm a fan of cheeses...but certain ones such as a really stinky Camembert don't do it for me.

The ribs have been in the smoker for 2.5 hours. I just finished mixing up and shaping the meatballs. Taking a short break before cooking them and making the sauce.

I'm tired!

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel,
Wellness for BBD,
007's Mom,
Stat's aunt, nephew, and his loved ones with shingles,
Pogo's aunt,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, and Becki.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Been a good Sunday so far. Tomorrow I think mum is going to take me into town to buy a dress for the bridal shower in a couple weeks. She tells me I need a dress and my hair done, I give her days that I am free and we never go anywhere. So tomorrow I might have to drag her into town and get it over with.

Little Harper had too much party on Friday night to enjoy a whole lot of her Mom's wedding day. Still was able to have some fun with her. The reception was held in an airplane hanger on the property of new father in law. It was semi outdoors, so the rain staying away for most of the time was nice. Very good food and time with the two daughter who live in Colorado was very appreciated as well as many other people I haven't seen for awhile.

The slights and insults from the ex were present, but I am happy to say my tongue was silent. Being good is so hard sometimes.

Good morning everybody though it is already afternoon and evening for most of you. Summer has returned with a vengeance here on the high desert--low to mid 90's forecast for all of the coming week which isn't really brutally hot for us this time of year, but after enjoying all the 70's and 80's for weeks, it feels worse now. I see that most of the nation's mid section and east will also be having unseasonably warm temps along with some severe weather, so for you in the path of storms, keep a weather eye out.

We're McDonalding it for breakfast this morning--nobody was in the mood to cook and we didn't go out for brunch since our house guest was here and wasn't interested in going out. So planning a lazy day but will go out for dinner to celebrate my Aunt and Uncle's wedding anniversary tonight--they are both 87 but they still celebrate. :)

Another hot one in 'Bama today, but the good news is both The Crimson Tide and the War Eagles won their season openers, so the Alabama vs Auburn wars at Doc's were pretty subdued. We swiched the bar over to cable from DirecTV. I Hate it for regular shows, but we get all the SEC games with the package where DTV was an additional $60/month. The cable bill will be about 1/3 of the DirecTV.

Well, the clean up from last night is done. The ribs were all scarfed except for four little pieces. And the parentals took home the remaining Swedish Meatballs.

I am totally fooded out, and ready for a quiet day. We were going to go to the Sausalito Arts Festival - but will do that tomorrow instead.

Forum List

Back