USMB Coffee Shop IV

Had some family over last night, had a lot of fun.

My wife has put one of our favorite fall comforters on the bed, and we slept toasty.

Greetings, Everyone.
I'm thinking I might have to shop around for a new veterinarian. Although I've been taking my fur-fam to this vet's clinic for 26 years, they cater to the horsey crowd and have gotten quite expensive. One of my senior citizen kitties (18 yrs) has been slurping and burbling, eyes runny, etc. I was afraid she might have pneumonia so I took her to the doc's (Thurs). Let's do blood tests, xrays, some other stuff. Preliminary diagnosis, age-related kitty asthma or maybe hyperthyroidism. Send the blood work to a lab for further analysis. The tab for all this, $725!!! Holy, moly! I took a deep breath and paid the bill. Took kitty home with some antibiotics. She hates me now, she hates having to take medication.
So, fast forward to Friday. I get home from work and am greeting my little puppy. I notice a golf-ball sized swelling on her jawline. Holy crap! What now. Another trip to the vet's. She's got a blocked saliva gland. Vet recommends surgery. After the little surprise the day before, I ask for a guesstamate for the cost...around $1200!!! WTF! We came home with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. I've also been applying hot compresses. Some one must have seen me coming. I cannot afford $1200 for surgery for the dog. Damn!
OK, vent over. I'm going to ask around and see whether I cannot find a new vet.

Check online about the vet community in your area. Don't hesitate to post the fees you have quoted and assessed. Others my try to undercut or met him. If so, some one will lower fees if he understands he will pick up a lot of new customers.

OK This is weird I read to the bottom of page 545 and there was a box to select page 546. There are no posts on the page and only a reply box.
Now, for some reason, I can't upload a screenshot.

cereal_killer

Perhaps that means that in that very moment, there was only one posting on page 546 and right at the moment, another member deleted a posting somewhere on this thread, just shifting everything up by one posting.

Greetings, Everyone.
I'm thinking I might have to shop around for a new veterinarian. Although I've been taking my fur-fam to this vet's clinic for 26 years, they cater to the horsey crowd and have gotten quite expensive. One of my senior citizen kitties (18 yrs) has been slurping and burbling, eyes runny, etc. I was afraid she might have pneumonia so I took her to the doc's (Thurs). Let's do blood tests, xrays, some other stuff. Preliminary diagnosis, age-related kitty asthma or maybe hyperthyroidism. Send the blood work to a lab for further analysis. The tab for all this, $725!!! Holy, moly! I took a deep breath and paid the bill. Took kitty home with some antibiotics. She hates me now, she hates having to take medication.
So, fast forward to Friday. I get home from work and am greeting my little puppy. I notice a golf-ball sized swelling on her jawline. Holy crap! What now. Another trip to the vet's. She's got a blocked saliva gland. Vet recommends surgery. After the little surprise the day before, I ask for a guesstamate for the cost...around $1200!!! WTF! We came home with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. I've also been applying hot compresses. Some one must have seen me coming. I cannot afford $1200 for surgery for the dog. Damn!
OK, vent over. I'm going to ask around and see whether I cannot find a new vet.

Check online about the vet community in your area. Don't hesitate to post the fees you have quoted and assessed. Others my try to undercut or met him. If so, some one will lower fees if he understands he will pick up a lot of new customers.

Good advice Jake.

After taking my cat to the new and expensive vet group in town and being charged a standard office visit, they hit me for twice the amount of the eye drops any other vet would have. I was stunned. $100.00 for 5mL of Neo-Poly Dex Ortho drops for an eye allergy. Her eye was swollen shut and red when I opened it. The anti-biotic med cleared it up, 4 times a day for many days. She almost killed me during the process. Good thing I had the foresight to know that would happen so I had her nails clipped before paying my bill. Worth every bit of that $10.00 fee.

I called other vets later that day, in the area, to check on their price of the same med and amount and it was half the price the new expensive vet grabbed from me. Then I called the new group and told them this and told them to delete all the information I had given them as I would never be back because of their dubious business practices. I then scouted for the list of veterinary offices online and chose one, called them and registered my cat.

That was a year ago.

Yesterday, when I came in from work, my cat's eye had the beginning of the same problem, only in the opposite eye and not yet severe and I tried to call the vet knowing I wouldn't get one on Saturday but left a message. So we will wait for Monday and I will take my girl in for an exam and prescription. The eye looks pretty good this morning---though she is slightly closing it when looking at anything. For this I am grateful as it could be so much worse and the waiting period, (feeling/suffering/anxious) so much longer. At least I know I won't be soaked for twice the price of the medication. :thup:

Gallantwarrior, I feel your pain and hope you find a resolution soon. I'm so glad I had called around last year, asking the various vet offices for the price of the medication. All of them had different prices, but close to the other. I will ask again on Monday, when the receptionist returns my call, on the price of the med and if it has increased, I will call around again......unless my girl's condition worsens and I haven't the time.

Last edited:
Had some family over last night, had a lot of fun.

My wife has put one of our favorite fall comforters on the bed, and we slept toasty.
:thup: I slept the same way, Jake. I always do, when I get to turn on the blanket with the warming feature. Something about the heat that is very relaxing. :thup:

OK This is weird I read to the bottom of page 545 and there was a box to select page 546. There are no posts on the page and only a reply box.

cereal_killer

Perhaps that means that in that very moment, there was only one posting on page 546 and right at the moment, another member deleted a posting somewhere on this thread, just shifting everything up by one posting.
Possible. I figure if I see a glitch, I'll report it. Is there a file size restriction on uploaded files?

cereal_killer

This Ernie S. The forum updates pretty fast when you have it open in the browser (you'll notice alerts will show up in real time etc) Same thing with pagenation....

It was 43 degrees at 7:15 and 67 now. We should top out at 75 under the bluest skies I've seen in months.

After a 2 week drought at the poker table where I contributed about $200, the poker gods have smiled on me for the last 2 weeks leaving me with just under $500 of other people's money.
3 nights a week can wear on you when the cards aren't falling right, but I'm thinking I will head over to a private game this afternoon to see if I can prolong the streak into a 3rd week.

cereal_killer

Possible. I figure if I see a glitch, I'll report it. Is there a file size restriction on uploaded files?

I believe so, Ernie. Extremely large .jpgs will not load. I try to keep them under 1 mb, just to be safe.

cereal_killer

This Ernie S. The forum updates pretty fast when you have it open in the browser (you'll notice alerts will show up in real time etc) Same thing with pagenation....
Figured I'd let you know and see if anyone else had seen it. It was odd looking. Because of the missing content, both rows of page number selection boxes were one above the other.

cereal_killer

I believe so, Ernie. Extremely large .jpgs will not load. I try to keep them under 1 mb, just to be safe.
This was only a .png of 154.7 K

OK it finally loaded. LOL I've been trying to post this by clicking the wrong post reply button
snapshot7.png

The worst thing about winter is women's feet.

I'm in bed with a woman, and she feels oh so good and soft and warm and delightful, and (ok, I'll stop right there, don't wanna cause any coronaries), and then she touches me with her feet under the covers and they are like ICEBERGS!!!! BRRRRRRRRR!!!!

So, I am not thrilled about winterizing.
My ex-wife almost never had cold feet. She always had a cold butt though. I never understood why her petite sexy butt always felt 50 degrees colder than the rest of her body when we climbed into bed.

The worst thing about winter is women's feet.

I'm in bed with a woman, and she feels oh so good and soft and warm and delightful, and (ok, I'll stop right there, don't wanna cause any coronaries), and then she touches me with her feet under the covers and they are like ICEBERGS!!!! BRRRRRRRRR!!!!

So, I am not thrilled about winterizing.
My ex-wife almost never had cold feet. She always had a cold butt though. I never understood why her petite sexy butt always felt 50 degrees colder than the rest of her body when we climbed into bed.

I would take that as a challenge. "It's my job to warm it up". :eusa_shifty:

Hate to sound like a wimp but I actually fired up the wood stove last night, on October 4th. :eek:
That's the earliest ever here.

But hey, I got wood. I gots lotsa wood. Spent a good part of the summer chainsawing trees to build up woodpiles, might as well use it. And it was in the 30s.

More interesting times at work.
I mentioned a while back that the company I work for had offered itself for sale and a smaller company was buying us, then a larger company instituted a hostile take-over bid.
I am officially a part of the two company integration team. We have over 300 people in IT at my company. For right now, only about 20 people in IT are part of the merger integration team. Our finance team (accounts payable, accounts receivable, stock ledger, general ledger and fixed assets) insisted that I be one of the IT representatives to handle the merging of the two companies financial systems.

What makes this really interesting (to me) is that I have very limited formal education in finance (30 years ago in college), no formal education in IT and no formal education or experience in acquisitions and mergers.
Everything I truly know about corporate financial operations and IT has been seat-of-the-pants on the job learning over the past 8 years. My previous adult 30+ years work experience was mostly centered around warehousing, logistics and distribution. I am now eyeballs deep into the IT/financial realm of two fortune 500 companies merging.

Forum List

Back