USMB Coffee Shop IV

Looks like my SIL will be assigned to Ft Lewis, WA. My daughter told me that if there is any place she hates more than Ft Bragg, it's Ft Lewis. But, like a good wife, she's started looking at the real estate listings. Personally, I like WA far better than NC. The climate is cooler and more comfortable. Between Boeing and SeaTac airport, I should find a decent job. There are also community colleges in the area that offer aviation maintenance programs I could teach. It also means I have to drive half as far when I leave AK. I am not looking forward to dragging my home so far.
I've dug into my old movies and am enjoying "Taming of the Shrew". Dang it, why can't they make movies like this any more? There is something to be said for acting vs. special computer-generated effects. Another great favorite of mine is "A Lion in Winter". Damned, that was well played.

I agree with you on WA......not to mention the beautiful gardens one can have in that area...............:rolleyes:

I lived in WA (Bellingham) for a few years and loved a lot about it. In the end, I had to go find the sun.

I'm so jealous of some of you who live in the south. You guys have it goood. :wink_2: Eighty degrees? I wish. Temps are slowly dropping off around here. It's been in the 50s for the most part lately, and going to get colder this week. I'm sick and tired of winter, and I'm certainly not looking forward to it this year either. I'm thinking about southern part of Texas. Warm weather, no state income tax!! Woo-hoo! :up: That would be AWESOME!

Also, something that might be of concern to everyone who has National Grid is that they are raising prices by 37% this winter here in Massachusetts. Watch out for price increases this year from NG! I'm certainly going to have look at other alternatives for heating.

There are supposedly other utility companies (or maybe just one other). However, you NEVER hear of these companies, and I wonder how reliable they are.

Warm weather, no state income tax.... ah yes, you want New Hamster. Be sure to be home about the second week of July. That's the warm weather.

:cheeky-smiley-018:

I'm bordered on the north by New Hampshire! Been there a million times. They get a little more snow than we do on average, but we basically have the same cold winter weather.

I was thinking of a place with a longer spell of warm winter. I'd like to have a good 6 months of hot weather. I enjoy the summer, and it is very short-lived here in MA.

It was actually pretty warm here today, around 70, but rainy. I'll take that though! :D

I was just thinking about that pumpkin carving thing--how much fun that used to be. And no, I can't imagine growing up without having done it at least once. And I have absolutely no desire to do one now. :)

I was also thinking about ChrisL's coming winter and not looking forward to it, though I very much enjoy New Mexico winters. I can remember when I thrilled to the first snow of winter that really stuck, how happy it made me as a kid. And I remember as an adult how beautiful the snows were up on the mountain, and enjoying drinking hot cider and the open fire while watching the inches and sometimes the feet of snow piling up on the deck. The snow up there was powder light--easy to shovel and clear away. And once the snowplows came through leaving just a few inches on the roads, they would melt and the roads would be clear after the sun was out for just a little while. But days on end of dangerous freezing temps--something very rare here--not so enjoyable. Snow is a sometime thing here in the city and usually fairly short lived. And we almost never have ice storms. Even days in which temps stay below freezing for 24 hours are rare. Winter is good here.

I do look forward the first snow, and I must say that Christmas would sure be different with no cold weather. It's just that the winters here are SO very long and cold. The snow is gorgeous at first, but then once it gets old, it looks something like this. Not so pretty anymore after a while. Lol.

We had TONS of it last year, and piles that looked like this everywhere. Then you track this stuff and sand into the house, and yuck!!!

DirtySnow.jpg

That's only because plows insist on plowing it. I say leave it alone. Makes driving much more interesting.

I'm looking forward to winter, expecting another cold one. I've got huge woodpiles. After two or three non-winters in a row, plus living in New Orleans for 12 years before that, I like having my seasons back.

I was just thinking about that pumpkin carving thing--how much fun that used to be. And no, I can't imagine growing up without having done it at least once. And I have absolutely no desire to do one now. :)

I was also thinking about ChrisL's coming winter and not looking forward to it, though I very much enjoy New Mexico winters. I can remember when I thrilled to the first snow of winter that really stuck, how happy it made me as a kid. And I remember as an adult how beautiful the snows were up on the mountain, and enjoying drinking hot cider and the open fire while watching the inches and sometimes the feet of snow piling up on the deck. The snow up there was powder light--easy to shovel and clear away. And once the snowplows came through leaving just a few inches on the roads, they would melt and the roads would be clear after the sun was out for just a little while. But days on end of dangerous freezing temps--something very rare here--not so enjoyable. Snow is a sometime thing here in the city and usually fairly short lived. And we almost never have ice storms. Even days in which temps stay below freezing for 24 hours are rare. Winter is good here.

I do look forward the first snow, and I must say that Christmas would sure be different with no cold weather. It's just that the winters here are SO very long and cold. The snow is gorgeous at first, but then once it gets old, it looks something like this. Not so pretty anymore after a while. Lol.

We had TONS of it last year, and piles that looked like this everywhere. Then you track this stuff and sand into the house, and yuck!!!

DirtySnow.jpg

That's only because plows insist on plowing it. I say leave it alone. Makes driving much more interesting.

I'm looking forward to winter, expecting another cold one. I've got huge woodpiles. After two or three non-winters in a row, plus living in New Orleans for 12 years before that, I like having my seasons back.

I would probably end up missing the change of seasons too eventually, but I am ready for a change! I've lived in New England my whole life.

View attachment 33144 View attachment 33145 View attachment 33146

Checked my two trail cams this morning and these are the critters I found on it. Couple of nice bucks and a pair of coyotes.

I think Santa is gonna bring us one of those this year.

Along with deer, raccoons, foxes, armadillos, possums and that squirrel academy pictured earlier, we have a bobcat who comes to visit. We get glimpses of him but I'd really like to see what goes on at night in our side yards. Our front yard is lake and the back yard is lake but we have a lot of traffic in the side yards.

Big Black Dog Any suggestions as to what we want to get? Anyone?

Speaking of armadillos, I have one nasty little creature that likes to visit often, and goes straight for my newly planted plants, and uproots them....I'd like to whop him on the head....
One well placed blast from a shotgun will take care of that.

I know....but we're not allowed to shoot guns in our sub-division.....I could kill him with my bear hands, he makes me so mad sometimes....:ack-1:
Oh well maybe you can try a 9 millimeter with a silencer.

We got one with one of our garden tools, I don't even know what it is called, but it takes two people, one with a flashlight and the other with the tool, but Mr. Mertex refuses to help kill them....he got a soft heart all of a sudden....

the tool we used is the one on the very top

gardentools2.jpg

Lowe's was all decorated for Christmas and playing Christmas music when I walked in on my way home.:shock: I had to stop in to get some glue traps to catch a poor little lizard...as I was coming out of my bathroom this morning, I saw him run under my bed.:ack-1: I wish that my son could have found and caught him to set free, but I'm not sharing my bed with a lizard.:eusa_hand:

Oh, and I will carve a jack-o-lantern, but I refuse to clean out the innards...that stuff gives me the willies.:D
In the Philippines we would have geckos in the house, running up the walls or on the ceiling. We had no problem with them as they ate bugs........ For us it was normal. :dunno:

Yup, that's New Orleans too. They're handy; they eat cockroaches. And in New Orleans you need all the cockroach eaters you can get. It's fun to watch them stalk and strike.

Looks like my SIL will be assigned to Ft Lewis, WA. My daughter told me that if there is any place she hates more than Ft Bragg, it's Ft Lewis. But, like a good wife, she's started looking at the real estate listings. Personally, I like WA far better than NC. The climate is cooler and more comfortable. Between Boeing and SeaTac airport, I should find a decent job. There are also community colleges in the area that offer aviation maintenance programs I could teach. It also means I have to drive half as far when I leave AK. I am not looking forward to dragging my home so far.
I've dug into my old movies and am enjoying "Taming of the Shrew". Dang it, why can't they make movies like this any more? There is something to be said for acting vs. special computer-generated effects. Another great favorite of mine is "A Lion in Winter". Damned, that was well played.

I agree with you on WA......not to mention the beautiful gardens one can have in that area...............:rolleyes:

I lived in WA (Bellingham) for a few years and loved a lot about it. In the end, I had to go find the sun.

I guess it does rain a lot.....something we've forgotten what it looks like here, in Texas. I need to get fond of cactus and try growing them.

Everyone has expressed their sympathies about the doggie, can we move on now and not have to listen to Gracie go on and on about her pets that died too? It used to be kind of fun stopping by in the mornings. I, for one am so sorry about all the dogs and cats who died.

Please?

Oh, I dunno. Maybe just treating each other with respect in the CS could be a good idea.
HaHa. Nothing to do with respect, I'm just tired of being sad everytime I come here anymore. I've heard about Gracie's dogs like 10 times now, it's just enough.

No problem tho, I'll just leave if that's what you guys want this place to be.

Oh, I think that most of the time, the bulk of topics in the CS are pretty upbeat. And usually, there's a pretty good deal of humor here as well. And I don't see anyone asking or telling someone else to leave the CS.

But I have seen other USMB members go through some pretty bad things in the "real world" and mention them in the CS and as far as I can tell, most, if not absolutely everyone in the CS has been unbelievably supportive, time and time again. I think that's what makes the CS a special place and I would hope that we all want to keep it that way.

I am sorry if my travails of the last days brought you down personally. That was most definitely not my intent. Grief is one of the most powerful emotions out there and it has undoubtedly overwhelmed me in the last days.

To those who have shown so much empathy and concern over the last days, thank you all very much for the effort you have put in to communicate those thoughts here in the CS. Believe it or not, it is helpful,
Stat, it's not you personally she was referring to. Over the last couple of years there's been a lot of "bad news" from quite a few people in the CS and some people (naturally) want to commiserate more than others and more often than others, some people get tired of it after a while. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I don't want to read someone's post, all I have to do is skip over it.....nothing more, nothing less.
Understood. I was simply commenting on differing personalities, how we individually deal with these types of things..... Basically the root to many of our interpersonal problems. :D

Some of our handy work...

The farmer put up the crocked boards and lights, we just ran the conduit to plug in each light, and to the end for the fans...

I think we need a little more SHIT in the lift to trip over...

My buddy the ole master electrician I work with...

Were there images posted with this? I see nothing. :dunno:
Yes!

It's probably that ad blocker you have. You should get rid of that thing. :)

I have Ad Blocker and I could see the pictures....so it ain't ad blocker.....:)

And I can see everybody else's pictures too. Just not that post. No broken image links when I quote it, nothing but blank space.

Lowe's was all decorated for Christmas and playing Christmas music when I walked in on my way home.:shock: I had to stop in to get some glue traps to catch a poor little lizard...as I was coming out of my bathroom this morning, I saw him run under my bed.:ack-1: I wish that my son could have found and caught him to set free, but I'm not sharing my bed with a lizard.:eusa_hand:

Oh, and I will carve a jack-o-lantern, but I refuse to clean out the innards...that stuff gives me the willies.:D
In the Philippines we would have geckos in the house, running up the walls or on the ceiling. We had no problem with them as they ate bugs........ For us it was normal. :dunno:

Yup, that's New Orleans too. They're handy; they eat cockroaches. And in New Orleans you need all the cockroach eaters you can get. It's fun to watch them stalk and strike.
In the islands we would hunt cockroaches with .22s........ :eusa_whistle:

I guess it does rain a lot.....something we've forgotten what it looks like here, in Texas. I need to get fond of cactus and try growing them.

It wasn't just the rain, but the location and the terrain. For months, the sun comes up about 45 degrees then hides behind the mountains. It doesn't actually go up into the sky, the lazy thing! I think it is back there watching Oprah and eating BonBons.

I think Santa is gonna bring us one of those this year.

Along with deer, raccoons, foxes, armadillos, possums and that squirrel academy pictured earlier, we have a bobcat who comes to visit. We get glimpses of him but I'd really like to see what goes on at night in our side yards. Our front yard is lake and the back yard is lake but we have a lot of traffic in the side yards.

Big Black Dog Any suggestions as to what we want to get? Anyone?

Speaking of armadillos, I have one nasty little creature that likes to visit often, and goes straight for my newly planted plants, and uproots them....I'd like to whop him on the head....
One well placed blast from a shotgun will take care of that.

I know....but we're not allowed to shoot guns in our sub-division.....I could kill him with my bear hands, he makes me so mad sometimes....:ack-1:
Oh well maybe you can try a 9 millimeter with a silencer.

We got one with one of our garden tools, I don't even know what it is called, but it takes two people, one with a flashlight and the other with the tool, but Mr. Mertex refuses to help kill them....he got a soft heart all of a sudden....

the tool we used is the one on the very top

gardentools2.jpg
That would be a hoe before the word became a slang term for slut got to admit I have never seen one quite like that one.

The farmer put up the crocked boards and lights, we just ran the conduit to plug in each light, and to the end for the fans...

Yes!

And I can see everybody else's pictures too. Just not that post. No broken image links when I quote it, nothing but blank space.

There's something off with your setup, Pogo. You didn't see that video yesterday either. Do you see this below? My very best nude.

Last edited:
Oh, I dunno. Maybe just treating each other with respect in the CS could be a good idea.
HaHa. Nothing to do with respect, I'm just tired of being sad everytime I come here anymore. I've heard about Gracie's dogs like 10 times now, it's just enough.

No problem tho, I'll just leave if that's what you guys want this place to be.

Oh, I think that most of the time, the bulk of topics in the CS are pretty upbeat. And usually, there's a pretty good deal of humor here as well. And I don't see anyone asking or telling someone else to leave the CS.

But I have seen other USMB members go through some pretty bad things in the "real world" and mention them in the CS and as far as I can tell, most, if not absolutely everyone in the CS has been unbelievably supportive, time and time again. I think that's what makes the CS a special place and I would hope that we all want to keep it that way.

I am sorry if my travails of the last days brought you down personally. That was most definitely not my intent. Grief is one of the most powerful emotions out there and it has undoubtedly overwhelmed me in the last days.

To those who have shown so much empathy and concern over the last days, thank you all very much for the effort you have put in to communicate those thoughts here in the CS. Believe it or not, it is helpful,
Stat, it's not you personally she was referring to. Over the last couple of years there's been a lot of "bad news" from quite a few people in the CS and some people (naturally) want to commiserate more than others and more often than others, some people get tired of it after a while. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I don't want to read someone's post, all I have to do is skip over it.....nothing more, nothing less.
Understood. I was simply commenting on differing personalities, how we individually deal with these types of things..... Basically the root to many of our interpersonal problems. :D

That's true. There's a lot of things in life that we, personally do not like, but we can't always have everything geared to our own personal taste....when we try to make it so, we end up offending and causing hurt feelings, something the CS is supposed to be above. As long as no rules are being broken, I say, it is easier to just ignore or skip over those posts by those we don't care to engage with. There's got to be one place in this Forum where we can come together as humans regardless of all our other differences.

Yes!

That's odd. If you click on the"Use BB code editor", do you even get the URL?

Yes!

That's odd. If you click on the"Use BB code editor", do you even get the URL?

I don't have the foggiest clue in the world what a "BB code editor" is or does.

Yes!

There's something off with your setup, Pogo. You didn't see that video yesterday either. Do you see this below? My very best nude.

That article had no video. It didn't even have an article. I wasn't the only one who noticed, once I pointed it out. I did sit through yet another Windoze update over the weekend, and before that updated a bunch of software including Firefox...

I do see the nude cat, but it's off to the side. Looks like Hobbes, without the tree. :D

Last edited:

When you click on "reply" - there's a one line menu at the top starting with "B" for bold.....BB code editor is the one on the very end (right) that looks like a sheet of paper with a "y" on it. Try clicking on it and see if it gives you the URL address, then you can copy them and go look at them yourself.

When you click on "reply" - there's a one line menu at the top starting with "B" for bold.....BB code editor is the one on the very end (right) that looks like a sheet of paper with a "y" on it. Try clicking on it and see if it gives you the URL address, then you can copy them and go look at them yourself.

I went back and tried this --- sure enough, you were right -- a bunch of Photobucket links suddenly showed up.
Perhaps AdBlock is blocking Photobucket? I dunno. :dunno: This is the first time it's come up, other than that other time when everybody's image content disappeared.

Anybody have a Photobucket image they can post as a test?

Would still like some elucidation on what the hell a "BB code editor" does. I see the results but I don't know what brought them. What is that thing used for?

Forum List

Back