USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning, everyone.

Last evening, a client of mine came by with some really outstanding whiskey, two small whiskey glasses and a big smile. He knew my dog very well. In fact, he often took care of the pooch for me when I was on business trips. He decided that it was not good for me to be alone last evening and so we drank a little whiskey, talked about the pooch, laughed (and cried) some and talked about archeology and great wines as well. He and his soon-to-be (I suspect) fiancee are doing a project together and I am helping them with the project. She is more beautiful than most models, just stunningly beautiful. And what a fine person, too.

It did me a lot of good. But by midnight I was so tuckered out, he said adieu and I fell asleep right on the couch. It's good to have good friends, they are worth gold. He is a semi-professional photographer on top of his real learned profession and had taken many pics of Klia, also with my daughter and he offered to make a really beautiful Photo-montage of el poocho for me. Cool.

Today is the day I visit my daughter. I was going to cancel (for the second time in 5 years) because the weather is just terrible today and where I visit her, I only get about 1 hour and 40 minutes to visit, but today, her mother needs her back 40 minutes early, so I would only see her for one hour and it's just totally illogical to pack her up in the car and drive home to my place: by the time we get here, we would need to drive right back. So, I usually just stay there and play with my daughter at one of many possible playgrounds, all of which she of course knows by heart. Wednesday is also ice-cream day for her (and me!), but it is storming like crazy right now. However, her mother just texted me that the little one is very upset about loss of pooch and really needs Papa right now, so I will definitely go and visit her. One of my clients, who is also a child psychologist, just telephoned with me and encouraged me to simply be there for her and be very honest, that that is exactly what kids want: honesty.

Kids and pets really are the best part of humanity, in my book.

Hope you all have a good day.

Good morning, everyone.

Last evening, a client of mine came by with some really outstanding whiskey, two small whiskey glasses and a big smile. He knew my dog very well. In fact, he often took care of the pooch for me when I was on business trips. He decided that it was not good for me to be alone last evening and so we drank a little whiskey, talked about the pooch, laughed (and cried) some and talked about archeology and great wines as well. He and his soon-to-be (I suspect) fiancee are doing a project together and I am helping them with the project. She is more beautiful than most models, just stunningly beautiful. And what a fine person, too.

It did me a lot of good. But by midnight I was so tuckered out, he said adieu and I fell asleep right on the couch. It's good to have good friends, they are worth gold. He is a semi-professional photographer on top of his real learned profession and had taken many pics of Klia, also with my daughter and he offered to make a really beautiful Photo-montage of el poocho for me. Cool.

Today is the day I visit my daughter. I was going to cancel (for the second time in 5 years) because the weather is just terrible today and where I visit her, I only get about 1 hour and 40 minutes to visit, but today, her mother needs her back 40 minutes early, so I would only see her for one hour and it's just totally illogical to pack her up in the car and drive home to my place: by the time we get here, we would need to drive right back. So, I usually just stay there and play with my daughter at one of many possible playgrounds, all of which she of course knows by heart. Wednesday is also ice-cream day for her (and me!), but it is storming like crazy right now. However, her mother just texted me that the little one is very upset about loss of pooch and really needs Papa right now, so I will definitely go and visit her. One of my clients, who is also a child psychologist, just telephoned with me and encouraged me to simply be there for her and be very honest, that that is exactly what kids want: honesty.

I just want to thank you for posting what is the best most real post that I have seen to date on this thread. I'll tell you statist that no matter the work involved no matter the timing making yourself available for people in life whether they need it or not can open the doors to things and opportunities that others don't get. The ability to help or influence another. Thank you for your post.

Good morning, everyone.

I just want to thank you for posting what is the best most real post that I have seen to date on this thread. I'll tell you statist that no matter the work involved no matter the timing making yourself available for people in life whether they need it or not can open the doors to things and opportunities that others don't get. The ability to help or influence another. Thank you for your post.

Thank you, natrualgas for the kind words.

BTW, the shortening of my name is not, I repeat, not "Statist", but rather, simply "Stat", if you wish.

I am in no way a statist. That's not my thing.

And the name refers to statistics and bulls (studs) in the German language. :) :)

Welcome to USMB.

I'll have to catch up on the last several pages tomorrow but did scan over everything and saw some interesting conversations. One thing that caught my eye though is that Hobbes is back in the tree? I have to start worrying about him again? Sigh. Let's hope he comes down more quickly this time. Saw his pic--he is a beauty.

And I noted the trapping lizards and shooting armadillos and cockroaches? When we lived in Texas we didn't shoot the cockroaches. There folks saddled them and used them to herd livestock. (They were really big.)

roach.jpg

Okay I'm on the way to find my pillow. See all ya'll in the morning.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
Hey Foxy, you can take me off this list for now. I'm feeling so much better. Thanks for everything!

Steelers won!!!

4026-tuesday-orkut-scraps-tuesday-glitter-graphics-comments-images-for.gif

Steelers suck, dude. I'm sorry to break the new to you....

:mad-61: :gs:

Ohio is going to have a terrifying winter. I can feel it.
Having lived through the Blizzard of 77 and the deep-freeze of 78 in Ohio, I can imagine that maybe being the case in the coming winter....

I don't think Ohio will be anywhere near as cold this winter - but I'm expecting TONS of snow.

Okay and as I said we all have expressed our sympathy more than once but now it is getting too sad around here. I am one who remembers when it was fun posting here and I want that back again. I scroll by a lot that doesn't really interest me but there is a real sad vibe here now and I don't see it ending soon. If I have that opinion, I will post it right along with my sympathy for anyone I see suffering.

Ebb and flow. This is a period of 'negative energy,' for lack of better term. Things will turn all happy again before too much longer.

I've never seen a coyote.

Trust me, they're around there. They like to stay hidden. I didn't see my first one until the drought of '88 sent them out of the woods to find food.

Uh, hate to tell you this but a glue trap will kill him.

Really really slowly.

Oh, crap, please cut it's head off as soon as it's caught, then! No need to torture the poor thing.

Anybody have a Photobucket image they can post as a test?

img106640x470.jpg

Can you see it?

Yup, that one shows up jest fine. It's only Double-0's that didn't.

On another note I'd like to note that this site has a blatant pro-Steeler bias. :death:
If we have that one we should have one for every team.

Except the Cowgirls of curse.
:gs:

I'll have to catch up on the last several pages tomorrow but did scan over everything and saw some interesting conversations. One thing that caught my eye though is that Hobbes is back in the tree? I have to start worrying about him again? Sigh. Let's hope he comes down more quickly this time. Saw his pic--he is a beauty.

And I noted the trapping lizards and shooting armadillos and cockroaches? When we lived in Texas we didn't shoot the cockroaches. There folks saddled them and used them to herd livestock. (They were really big.)

roach.jpg

Okay I'm on the way to find my pillow. See all ya'll in the morning.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
Hey Foxy, you can take me off this list for now. I'm feeling so much better. Thanks for everything!
Good that you are feeling better.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Saints all the way ... next year.

You go, Boudreaux! :D

Ha! I actually am (or was before marriage) an "eaux," although not a Boudreaux. Interesting aside: the "x" at the end of the name indicates one's ancestors were uneducated back in the day. An educated Gautreau would sign his name. An uneducated one would put his mark, an X, beside his name, making it look like Gautreau X. That's why there are so many eau names with an eaux counterpart.

And now you know the rest of the story. ;)

Ever been to Prince Edward Island? It seemed everybody there was named either Arsenault or Bergeron.

Haven't been there, but Arsenault became Arceneaux down here. Lots of family names were accidentally changed during the war down here. When illiterate men enlisted, the guy writing his name down just did his best. It turned out to be far easier to actually change your family's name than to get the government to correct it. I worked with an Italian who is a Trepagnier instead of Tripanni.

ETA: Tons of Bergerons here. We have Martinez, pronounced like the name Martin with an ez. Ramirez is RAM uh rez
Martinez is MAR tin ez
Funny stuff

Oh, I think that was a national evolution. I went to school with Martinezes (in Pennsylvania) and we said "MARtinez" at the time. It was only years later that the general population learned to shift the accent to the penultimate: "Marnez".

I'm familiar with the French Acadian names in Louisiana. For true, my Louisiana license plate always drew some second glances when I'd go to Nova Scotia.

HaHa. Nothing to do with respect, I'm just tired of being sad everytime I come here anymore. I've heard about Gracie's dogs like 10 times now, it's just enough.

No problem tho, I'll just leave if that's what you guys want this place to be.

Oh, I think that most of the time, the bulk of topics in the CS are pretty upbeat. And usually, there's a pretty good deal of humor here as well. And I don't see anyone asking or telling someone else to leave the CS.

But I have seen other USMB members go through some pretty bad things in the "real world" and mention them in the CS and as far as I can tell, most, if not absolutely everyone in the CS has been unbelievably supportive, time and time again. I think that's what makes the CS a special place and I would hope that we all want to keep it that way.

I am sorry if my travails of the last days brought you down personally. That was most definitely not my intent. Grief is one of the most powerful emotions out there and it has undoubtedly overwhelmed me in the last days.

To those who have shown so much empathy and concern over the last days, thank you all very much for the effort you have put in to communicate those thoughts here in the CS. Believe it or not, it is helpful,
Stat, it's not you personally she was referring to. Over the last couple of years there's been a lot of "bad news" from quite a few people in the CS and some people (naturally) want to commiserate more than others and more often than others, some people get tired of it after a while. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I don't want to read someone's post, all I have to do is skip over it.....nothing more, nothing less.
Understood. I was simply commenting on differing personalities, how we individually deal with these types of things..... Basically the root to many of our interpersonal problems. :D

That's true. There's a lot of things in life that we, personally do not like, but we can't always have everything geared to our own personal taste....when we try to make it so, we end up offending and causing hurt feelings, something the CS is supposed to be above. As long as no rules are being broken, I say, it is easier to just ignore or skip over those posts by those we don't care to engage with. There's got to be one place in this Forum where we can come together as humans regardless of all our other differences.
Pretty sure you're misinterpreting what my point was (I was not taking sides just making a simple neutral statement) and like Foxy said, we've had our occasional spats between CS denizens, no big deal. :dunno:

Last edited:

Ha! I actually am (or was before marriage) an "eaux," although not a Boudreaux. Interesting aside: the "x" at the end of the name indicates one's ancestors were uneducated back in the day. An educated Gautreau would sign his name. An uneducated one would put his mark, an X, beside his name, making it look like Gautreau X. That's why there are so many eau names with an eaux counterpart.

You make an interesting point there and I thank you for the information, Tresha91203

When I was doing some deep genealogical research for my family tree, I discovered than many of my ancestors who came over "on the boat" were either illiterate or simply could not write in English and when it came to Census time, like the 1910 or 1920 census, the census takers wrote down their names to the best of their ability because my relatives (many of them Jews from Poland or the Ukraine) could not spell their own name, or the americanized version of it, in the latin alphabet. It's maybe hard to believe in the 21st century, but back then, apparently, this was quite a phenomenon. And I am referring to both first name and family name. Sometimes the only way to know for sure if the ancestor is really the person in the census is to see the names of the other family members and see if the names all match up.

You can also see from the 1930 census that the Great Depression tore up a hell of a lot of families. All of a sudden, between the 1920 census and the 1930 census, the number of "boarders" listed at homes rose quite dramatically.

I thought you might also find that information interesting.

I would bet that there are a great number of names ala Francais with the x at the end of the name in Louisiana!!!

And for our "frenchophiles" out there, two places in France to recommend, in the Provence, for vacation:

Sault - is a small town where the bulk of the Lavender for the country is harvested. It is harvested every year on August 15th. My then-wife and I, we spent a month in Sault in 2004. The city is pronounced without the l and t. Like "sow". As soon as I can find the pics from Sault, I will post some of them. We rented a small summer home with no TV, just a radio, bikes and a car and just loved it there. It was one of the most relaxing vacations of my entire life. And you have never really experienced the intensity of lavender until you stand right in the middle of one of those fields. Wow. It was awesome.

Carpentras - a small city on the way due west from Sault, once you get back the ochre caves. Carpentras has the narrowest streets and most traffic circles of any small town in France. If you want to learn how to swear like a sailor at the top of your lungs, then drive through Carpentras, where all the maps of the town are wrong, too. Boy, that was fun. However, Carpentras sports the oldest Synagogue in all of Europe, a beautiful little structure. We toured it and I just loved it.

:D

Sounds fabulous! I can't grow lavendar here because we have clay soil. My grandmother, who actually had a garden in a fenced area, had to mix sandy soil in a pot for the lavendar at the gate. Does anyone know why one must always plant lavendar at the garden gate?

I love differences. I am fascinated by cultures and religions in genreral because they tell us so much about the peoples of that time in that area. I know a lot of the roots for old wives tales, superstitions and cultural oddities like the evolution of Mardis Gras (and why it ultimately fails everywhere it is tried except Mobile, AL).

One of my employees says she always asks me the offensive "Why do y'all..." questions because I can explain it. It often involves someone being illiterate, differences between the French Catholics and the Italian Catholics, or the huge river that was rarely crossed until modern times. She's from New Jersey and wants to know, but discussion of differences like that are often unPC these days. Sometimes, in print, people think I'm bigoted because the answer often has to do with some culture or religion or paints someone in poor light (by modern standards). In reality, I celebrate the differences. In person, you can see my smile and the love of the topic in my expression, I guess. On a message board, it might sound like I think Catholics are retarded.

Donaldsonville and Gonzales are so different because the French Catholics settled one side of the Mississippi and the Italian Catholics the other. Crossing that river was rare. I have a newspaper clipping of my grandfather crossing it. That was the story, X crossed the river, and it made the paper.

Sigh. I've done it again ... gone on and on about something until eyes glaze over. Sorry lol.

Morning, all. We, where I grew up, would pronounce Lopes as "Lo-pez" accent on the first syllable, not "lopes".

Doesn't mean anything, spats.

Ever been to Prince Edward Island? It seemed everybody there was named either Arsenault or Bergeron.

Haven't been there, but Arsenault became Arceneaux down here. Lots of family names were accidentally changed during the war down here. When illiterate men enlisted, the guy writing his name down just did his best. It turned out to be far easier to actually change your family's name than to get the government to correct it. I worked with an Italian who is a Trepagnier instead of Tripanni.

ETA: Tons of Bergerons here. We have Martinez, pronounced like the name Martin with an ez. Ramirez is RAM uh rez
Martinez is MAR tin ez
Funny stuff

Oh, I think that was a national evolution. I went to school with Martinezes (in Pennsylvania) and we said "MARtinez" at the time. It was only years later that the general population learned to shift the accent to the penultimate: "Marnez".

I'm familiar with the French Acadian names in Louisiana. For true, my Louisiana license plate always drew some second glances when I'd go to Nova Scotia.

Martinez is Hispanic, and the accent should be on the "ti"......:)

Oh, I think that most of the time, the bulk of topics in the CS are pretty upbeat. And usually, there's a pretty good deal of humor here as well. And I don't see anyone asking or telling someone else to leave the CS.

But I have seen other USMB members go through some pretty bad things in the "real world" and mention them in the CS and as far as I can tell, most, if not absolutely everyone in the CS has been unbelievably supportive, time and time again. I think that's what makes the CS a special place and I would hope that we all want to keep it that way.

I am sorry if my travails of the last days brought you down personally. That was most definitely not my intent. Grief is one of the most powerful emotions out there and it has undoubtedly overwhelmed me in the last days.

To those who have shown so much empathy and concern over the last days, thank you all very much for the effort you have put in to communicate those thoughts here in the CS. Believe it or not, it is helpful,
Stat, it's not you personally she was referring to. Over the last couple of years there's been a lot of "bad news" from quite a few people in the CS and some people (naturally) want to commiserate more than others and more often than others, some people get tired of it after a while. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I don't want to read someone's post, all I have to do is skip over it.....nothing more, nothing less.
Understood. I was simply commenting on differing personalities, how we individually deal with these types of things..... Basically the root to many of our interpersonal problems. :D

That's true. There's a lot of things in life that we, personally do not like, but we can't always have everything geared to our own personal taste....when we try to make it so, we end up offending and causing hurt feelings, something the CS is supposed to be above. As long as no rules are being broken, I say, it is easier to just ignore or skip over those posts by those we don't care to engage with. There's got to be one place in this Forum where we can come together as humans regardless of all our other differences.
Pretty sure you're misinterpreting what my point was (I was not taking sides just making a simple neutral statement) and like Foxy said, we've had our occasional spats between CS denizens, no big deal. :dunno:

I guess we're both not understanding each other.....I didn't mean to imply that you were taking sides, just that sometimes we can't have things exactly like we want them and we need to remember that there's others besides "us"....and I wasn't referring to you.....but rather to everyone on this thread.

Just had enough time to read all the posts that were posted after I went to bed last night......now off to go get some coffee....

th

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Sounds fabulous! I can't grow lavendar here because we have clay soil. My grandmother, who actually had a garden in a fenced area, had to mix sandy soil in a pot for the lavendar at the gate. Does anyone know why one must always plant lavendar at the garden gate?

So guests will enjoy a nice aroma and overlook the weeds?

Martinez is MAR tin ez
Funny stuff

Awesome! If you eve make it back down to visit old friends, let me know! Hubby and I always have room for new friends, and I am not a horrible cook.

Good morning Coffee Shoppers!

And a damp, cold dreary morning it is here on the Buckle of the Rust Belt. The leaves are getting steadily knocked off the trees. Last night on our daily walk in the park Daisy the Mutt chased a chipmunk through the leaves. The chipmunk was disguised by the heavy cover of maple and oak leaves. But its movement gave away its position by means of rustling. Daisy cocked her head and listened. The leaves shook and rustled. And then Daisy would pounce. But she never could zero in on the chipmunk to actually catch it.

What she did manage to do was get herself all muddy all over. Her face, chest, all four legs and her belly were soaked and caked with muddy debris. Daisy chased that chipmunk right into the bathtub.

I've finally come to grips with a latent childhood issue. Since 1964 I've believed that only I could prevent forest fires. That's heavy stuff for a little kid, but now I'm sure that I could never prevent a forest fire on my own. Hell, I've only been within 10 miles of a 'forest fire' and that was on the eastern tip of Long Island where such fires can be easily extinguished using Schweppes Bitter Lemon.

Forum List

Back