USMB Coffee Shop IV

Today is election day. If you have not already voted, please go to the polls and vote for the candidate of your choice and vote for the issues that are important to you.
Done and done.. I pray Democrats keep the senate.

Today is election day. If you have not already voted, please go to the polls and vote for the candidate of your choice and vote for the issues that are important to you.
Done and done... I pray Republicans take the senate.

Foxfyre

Hammer time.

Tattletale. :lol:

;)

"Offsetting penalties, repeat second down". :thup:

Foxfyre

Hammer time.

Tattletale. :lol:

;)

"Offsetting penalties, repeat second down". :thup:
I was J/K I thought both comments were pretty benign. Considering.

This is drastic, Pogo, but do you have power spray of some sort. Even if it is only a few drops that reach the critter, it should move him. Put all sorts of food and water lures on the ground below for visual reinforcement.

I tried that too last week. My hose has a pretty powerful spurt but it won't reach anywhere near that high.

Time for chain saw and removal of tree??? :eek: Thing is, he will do it again, though.

I was just scoping out the area -- the tree would either fall (a) into the creek bed which is rocky (and currently dry) and further down than the height of the tree (which means a fall of more like sixty feet), (b) at an angle into the branches of other trees, which could mean impalement, (c) across my driveway or possibly (d) across the road.

I done whacked the tree with a baseball bat until my hands ache from the return shock. It's an aluminum bat (I know, that's not real baseball). Hobbes' reaction was to settle in and decide it was time to lick his paws.

Just hope that he comes down when he's ready. Maybe he got frightened up into the tree and is afraid to come down.

This is drastic, Pogo, but do you have power spray of some sort. Even if it is only a few drops that reach the critter, it should move him. Put all sorts of food and water lures on the ground below for visual reinforcement.

I tried that too last week. My hose has a pretty powerful spurt but it won't reach anywhere near that high.

Time for chain saw and removal of tree??? :eek: Thing is, he will do it again, though.

I was just scoping out the area -- the tree would either fall (a) into the creek bed which is rocky (and currently dry) and further down than the height of the tree (which means a fall of more like sixty feet), (b) at an angle into the branches of other trees, which could mean impalement, (c) across my driveway or possibly (d) across the road.

I done whacked the tree with a baseball bat until my hands ache from the return shock. It's an aluminum bat (I know, that's not real baseball). Hobbes' reaction was to settle in and decide it was time to lick his paws.

Just hope that he comes down when he's ready. Maybe he got frightened up into the tree and is afraid to come down.

I'm quite sure he's doing this on his own and hasn't been chased there. It's always in the daylight when there's nothing around but birds and snakes and bunnies and he's not afeared of any of those. He's just following his instinct to climb without planning ahead. Apparently heights are the one thing he is afraid of, and nobody can relate to that feeling of sick-to-the-stomach trepidation upon looking down and considering descent than I can. I can't blame him a bit for not wanting to take that step and deciding staying put is preferable. I'd probably react the same way.

Foxfyre

Hammer time.
I didn't really consider simply commenting on who you'd like to win as "discussing politics," so I think if we leave it there we're OK.

Me thinks it should be an indoor cat only.
Agree, 100%. I think it's pretty obvious by now that if he goes outside, he's going to wind up stuck up in a tree, again. Can't see why that would be so hard to figure out at this point.

Once they've been outdoors, it's hard to reverse their experience. I tried to let our indoor cat out on the patio when it snowed once just to see how he would react. He kept tapping his foot on the snow like it was so foreign. He never did go out.

Agree, 100%. I think it's pretty obvious by now that if he goes outside, he's going to wind up stuck up in a tree, again. Can't see why that would be so hard to figure out at this point.

This is an old farmhouse in the woods. He's already long since figured out ways to get out whether I open a door or not.

How do you find out who gave you a trophy? I have a list but nobody's name is attached.

My little cat, which ironically looks almost identical to Hobbes, was born outside, lived outside, then I let her in my shop, she was let outside to roam for the first couple years, but after I saw large hawks and owls, foxes, and heard coyotes right down here around houses, her going outside days were over. She's doesn't seem to even want to go outside now. I think she knows she's warm, fed and safe inside this house.

This is an old farmhouse in the woods. He's already long since figured out ways to get out whether I open a door or not.
You mean to tell me there's holes in that house big enough for an animal the size of a CAT to crawl in and out?

My God, brother... how the hell you keep it heated? How do you keep snakes and raccoons and squirrels and possums and everything else OUT?

My little cat, which ironically looks almost identical to Hobbes, was born outside, lived outside, then I let her in my shop, she was let outside to roam for the first couple years, but after I saw large hawks and owls, foxes, and heard coyotes right down here around houses, her going outside days were over. She's doesn't seem to even want to go outside now. I think she knows she's warm, fed and safe inside this house.

I have a pet rabbit, so obviously he can't go outside, but I bought him a harness and a leash and I take him out in the yard with me sometimes. :lol: I probably look really stupid with a bunny on a leash but I don't venture out too far. I just felt bad that the poor thing was stuck inside all the time. Obviously he wanted to go outside. He's actually pretty good once I have the harness and leash on him. It's getting it on him that is a big fight. Lol.

Good morning all. A beautiful Indian Summer day in New Mexico with highs in the 50's and low to mid 60's stretching out for some days ahead. And it is election day and it is probably no secret who any of us are hoping to mostly win today on both sides of the aisle. I for one will be happy for silly season to be finally ended and will look forward to the dust settling and life resuming hopefully in a less angry fashion at USMB.

I've been trying to decide if it is discussing politics to say who we want to win in the Coffee Shop. I guess it probably isn't much different than saying who we want to win a football game, but trashing the other guy's team in a friendly way seems to be okay. Not so much even friendly criticism or teasing re the other guys candidate or political party or ideology. So just be really careful everybody and keep everything in the no harm no foul territory. We all care about our country and the election in progress, but we also know how emotionally charged it all can be when it comes down to who is running and who wins and the margin for tolerance about any of that is razor thin. Talking football is a lot safer to ensure we don't cross the line. :)

Last edited:

Foxfyre

Hammer time.

Good for her! I have had many cats and have experienced males to be the hardest to keep as an indoor cat. There are exceptions of course. Males just have to be free. Just as some of us female cats. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

You mean to tell me there's holes in that house big enough for an animal the size of a CAT to crawl in and out?

My God, brother... how the hell you keep it heated? How do you keep snakes and raccoons and squirrels and possums and everything else OUT?

Whattaya think the cat's job is?

I should amend, the hole he crawls out, wherever it is, seems to be in the upper floor somewhere, which I close off during the winter to conserve heat. That should keep him enclosed in the cold part of the year but once it warms up, he's got his route. And I have to let him patrol upstairs.

And I so hurt for poor Hobbes in that tree and even moreso for Pogo because I know how that feels for him. Have you tried your retrieval basket that worked before Pogo? I know it won't reach as high as Hobbes is, but if he got in it before, maybe if you stuck it up there, he would descend that far?

I have a pet rabbit, so obviously he can't go outside, but I bought him a harness and a leash and I take him out in the yard with me sometimes. :lol: I probably look really stupid with a bunny on a leash but I don't venture out too far. I just felt bad that the poor thing was stuck inside all the time. Obviously he wanted to go outside. He's actually pretty good once I have the harness and leash on him. It's getting it on him that is a big fight. Lol.

I had a pet guinea pig when I was a boy and I took him out to the park and he would chase after me if I walked away. He use to live inside my shirt and run around on the top of my trousers. One day I came home from school and he was not in his run. He had burrowed under it and run off. I never saw him again and I was terribly upset.
I had a pet lovebird who's picture is in my avatar, she is hanging on my glasses. She died five years ago and took my heart with her into her grave. I buried her in a cardboard Easter egg, and decided not to have another pet, as I don't need the heartache

I had a pet guinea pig when I was a boy and I took him out to the park and he would chase after me if I walked away. He use to live inside my shirt and run around on the top of my trousers. One day I came home from school and he was not in his run. He had burrowed under it and run off. I never saw him again and I was terribly upset.
I had a pet lovebird who's picture is in my avatar, she is hanging on my glasses. She died five years ago and took my heart with her into her grave. I buried her in a cardboard Easter egg, and decided not to have another pet, as I don't need the heartache

Sorry to hear that. :(

This bunny actually kind of found me. I had no plans of getting any pets either, but I went out one night and there he was, this tame floppy ear rabbit. If I hadn't taken him, he would have been eaten by some critter, so now I have an unintentional pet. :D

The avatar is really cute BTW. :)

And I so hurt for poor Hobbes in that tree and even moreso for Pogo because I know how that feels for him. Have you tried your retrieval basket that worked before Pogo? I know it won't reach as high as Hobbes is, but if he got in it before, maybe if you stuck it up there, he would descend that far?

Yes, did that yesterday exactly as you describe. Got it about halfway up but he didn't take the bait.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

Forum List

Back