USMB Coffee Shop IV

I got a new computer and found I could not transfer my email accounts to it, then my old computer mail account went down. So I opened a new email account on my new computer and I am gradually updating my email address in various forums. That is until I got to Twitter. They don't seem to have a way of changing your address

I got a new computer and found I could not transfer my email accounts to it, then my old computer mail account went down. So I opened a new email account on my new computer and I am gradually updating my email address in various forums. That is until I got to Twitter. They don't seem to have a way of changing your address
If your old computer email is MSN, I found a fix for it.

And I so hurt for poor Hobbes in that tree and even moreso for Pogo because I know how that feels for him. Have you tried your retrieval basket that worked before Pogo? I know it won't reach as high as Hobbes is, but if he got in it before, maybe if you stuck it up there, he would descend that far?

Yes, did that yesterday exactly as you describe. Got it about halfway up but he didn't take the bait.

Maybe try another kind of food. Don't give up. He's got to come down soon!

Thanks but my old account was with a British company called uku.co.uk and I think they have gone bust.

And I so hurt for poor Hobbes in that tree and even moreso for Pogo because I know how that feels for him. Have you tried your retrieval basket that worked before Pogo? I know it won't reach as high as Hobbes is, but if he got in it before, maybe if you stuck it up there, he would descend that far?

Yes, did that yesterday exactly as you describe. Got it about halfway up but he didn't take the bait.

Well darn. I don't know anything else to try but in all our years of raising cats, many of them tree climbers, I have never experienced what you have experienced with Hobbes. On the e-How site, they said the longest known record for a cat-in-the-tree scenario was 21 days????? But I guess for some cats, several days is not uncommon. We'll keep sending some sort of vibes for a happy solution.

Thanks but my old account was with a British company called uku.co.uk and I think they have gone bust.
Oh okay. It's painful switching email accounts.

I have had the same e-mail account with AOL since I think 1985? I just have never had a reason to want to change. I also have accounts with a couple of other services I have used for specialized things, but rarely ever even look at them much less use them.

I have had the same e-mail account with AOL since I think 1985? I just have never had a reason to want to change.
My sis still has AOL from way back. I've been with MSN for a long time too. I also setup gmail just in case I ever had problems with the other one.

I have had the same e-mail account with AOL since I think 1985? I just have never had a reason to want to change.

I started out with AOL a long time ago, as far as I remember I was paying a subscription for a dial up service.

I started out with AOL a long time ago, as far as I remember I was paying a subscription for a dial up service.

Yes back then it was all dial up and you got I think three hours a day free with your hefty paid subscription and after that it was a whopping $3/hour to use. It has been all free for unlimited 24/7 usage for many years now though, and I can have up to five separate e-mail accounts with it, each with unlimited mail storage, a great address book concept, and all manner of features to jazz up the e-mails you send. And it is the most reliable service of any I have used. I think the e-mail service was down for a very short time maybe twice in the last five years? The only downside is that some e-mail services don't play all that well with AOL and I have to maneuver around that from time to time, but that is becoming more and more rare.

seriously.jpg

:biggrin:

Pogo
Hobbes is trying to tell you that he is not happy with something in the House.
My bet would be that he needs a place or two where he can get up near the ceiling no matter how low it is. He needs a place to feel higher and safe. It does not matter that he is safe - it is just a cat thing that they all need. Every Cat needs a scratching post and some place up high in any house.
Do maybe two places with some shelves or anything else you can think of to build, where he can get up near the top of the ceiling.
Especially since you can't fit a cat tree.

Pogo
My bet would be that he needs a place or two where he can get up near the ceiling no matter how low it is. He needs a place to feel higher and safe. It does not matter that he is safe - it is just a cat thing that they all need. Every Cat needs a scratching post and some place up high in any house.
Do maybe two places with some shelves or anything else you can think of to build, where he can get up near the top of the ceiling.

I know about cats and high places Peach, but your theory really doesn't fit a patten. He doesn't seek out or perch on places in the house he could sit (on the piano, refrigerator, bookshelf). Once or twice but it's very rare. I believe he's just following a primal instinct to climb and that's it -- isn't thinking about causes or consequences. If he were he wouldn't be climbing. I think he just doesn't put two and two together. :dunno:

If there's a way to get a 4x4 pickup or a tractor or a 4 wheel drive 4 wheeler down there by that tree, hook a chain around the tree and give it a few good jerks. I guarantee with any of my 4x4 trucks I could darn near pull that tree over, but it would send a wave up through it that would either knock him out of the tree or convince him that coming down on his own is better.

If you don't do something soon, he'll come down alright. He'll die up there and just fall out... maybe... or maybe he'll die up there and just slump across the limb he's on, get stiff and then be a reminder to you that you should have done everything in your power to keep him inside the house so that wouldn't have happened.

Sorry if I'm sounding like the harsh one here, but this is a pattern, and in my opinion steps should have been taken after the last time this happened to ensure it didn't happen again, because sooner or later, if not this time, one of these episodes is going to end up in a disaster.

Mark my words.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

Pogo

I know about cats and high places Peach, but your theory really doesn't fit a patten. He doesn't seek out or perch on places in the house he could sit (on the piano, refrigerator, bookshelf). Once or twice but it's very rare. I believe he's just following a primal instinct to climb and that's it -- isn't thinking about causes or consequences. If he were he wouldn't be climbing. I think he just doesn't put two and two together. :dunno:

Those things like the piano, refrigerator and bookshelf are yours not his.
He needs a place or two up high that is his. It would not hurt to try.

Pogo

I thought the whole house was his. But OK I will.

Pogo

My daughter just got their cat a climbing thing that goes up to the ceiling but the cat just goes far enough to see out the window and just sits there. Put the thing by a window.

Pogo

Of course the whole house is his :)
He still needs things that are his alone and that he knows it's only his things.
Maybe that isn't it but it is worth a try.
I'm just saying that he is unhappy about something there in the house.
If it isn't that, it is something else,.
Observe his behavior and what he does. That will give some clues.

I got curious and did some reading. Cats have to climb down backwards, so they can't see where they're going (unlike squirrels) so the fear is real when they go too high, but they need to climb.

Crazy little fellas :dunno:

Do you have or could you get a bb gun? Something with those rubber bb's that can maybe hit the branches near him? It might startle Hobbes too much, but maybe he'd actually start climbing down, too.

I agree that if he's going to consistently get stuck in trees, you need to do something new. Whether that's finding a way to close off his exits and making him an indoor cat, getting him declawed in hopes it prevents him from being able to get up the tree, taking that tree down entirely, or finding him a new home, I couldn't say. But clearly he either wants to be stuck up there or, as you said, just doesn't think about it on the way up. In either case it doesn't seem worth it for either of you to keep going the way you are.

I hope you can come up with a solution.

Forum List

Back