USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just had a Marie Callender pot pie for lunch. I love pot pies and I love their pot pies so much I have to regulate the number of times I indulge, only have one every two hours or so........ :eusa_whistle:

I'm spoiled and can only eat Willow Tree chicken pies. They are a local farm, and they make the BEST chicken pot pies! They are expensive though, depending on where you buy them, $10 to $15 for a large one. You can get them with or without veg. :) They also have killer chicken salad. :tongue: I'm making myself hungry!

I like Marie C best, but prefer making my own pot pies from scratch. For those who are new to creating pot pies, begin with

Classic Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Pillsbury.com and later modify as your creativity suggests.

I've made my own before, but I used Bisquick for a crust. I hate working with dough and whenever I can get away with doing so, I will substitute anything else in favor of rolling out dough. :lol:
I refuse to use Bisquick for anything, don't know what they put in it but, yuk!! I use Pioneer Brand, tastes soooooo much better. As for pie crusts I use the pre-made ones, the last time I rolled out a crust was probably 15 years ago.

I've never used that brand and don't know if it's available in my area. I'll have to check. I'm making homemade chicken stock right now though, and that is fantastic to use in pot pies or any dish that calls for broth or stock. :) To bad we don't have smelling capabilities over the net, because it smells fantastic in here right now! Lol.

Just had a Marie Callender pot pie for lunch. I love pot pies and I love their pot pies so much I have to regulate the number of times I indulge, only have one every two hours or so........ :eusa_whistle:

I'm spoiled and can only eat Willow Tree chicken pies. They are a local farm, and they make the BEST chicken pot pies! They are expensive though, depending on where you buy them, $10 to $15 for a large one. You can get them with or without veg. :) They also have killer chicken salad. :tongue: I'm making myself hungry!

I like Marie C best, but prefer making my own pot pies from scratch. For those who are new to creating pot pies, begin with

Classic Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Pillsbury.com and later modify as your creativity suggests.
Hey Jake :smile: ..My oldest daughter is a great cook and baker..she makes a wonderful pot pie. She uses the Marie C pre made pie crusts in the freezer section and uses all organic veggies and broth. YUMMM!

I'll use anything as long as I don't have to knead and roll out dough. ;)

Hey Jake :smile: ..My oldest daughter is a great cook and baker..she makes a wonderful pot pie. She uses the Marie C pre made pie crusts in the freezer section and uses all organic veggies and broth. YUMMM!

I need dough to roll out........ :eusa_whistle:

I need dough to roll out........ :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

53679887.jpg

Found a company in Colorado that does panalized housing, around 60+ % cheaper than a standard stick built. In Pueblo West, one + acre lots with access to city water and sewer are going for as little as $6000. Based on my calculations I could build a 2000 sq ft home for under $60,000........ Uummmmm.........

It's a balmy 37 degrees in Albuquerque at this hour which feels warm after yesterday. We'll have a couple of days of mid to high 50's, maybe even a low 60, the next couple of days before going back into colder temps. But at least it is feeling more like November than late September now.

37 degrees celcius? I would certainly hope so...

Nope. Fahrenheit. Winter is descending upon the good old USA even as you are greeting summer.

That's freezing temperatures! Brrr! Good thing summer starts here on the 1st of December.

Our winter officially begins December 21, but the weather doesn't seem to always follows the calendar here. We can expect at least some freezing temperatures, especially at night, in most of the USA in late November, December, January, and February and then the warming trend begins in March. This mid November 'polar vortex' we've been having is a bit unusual but not unheard of and was blessedly short lived. Our daytime temps will be mostly in the 50's for awhile now, and will likely drop to 40's and 30's in December through February. 10 or so degrees or less Celsius.

Found a company in Colorado that does panalized housing, around 60+ % cheaper than a standard stick built. In Pueblo West, one + acre lots with access to city water and sewer are going for as little as $6000. Based on my calculations I could build a 2000 sq ft home for under $60,000........ Uummmmm.........

Sounds like it could be a plan. Hombre and I have had one new home built from scratch and we loved the house once it was completed. We have agreed we don't know if our marriage is strong enough to do another one though. :)

If you make your own pot pie, aren't you sort of ruining the whole point of the pot pie? They are good because they are simple and easy! Once you start doing it yourself, it's like any other cooked meal. :lol:

I ought to pick some of those up for us too--we both love pot pies. And there are always those times you just don't want to cook but want something hot and nourishing.
Stuff Mart (Wallyworld....... :eusa_whistle:) has em for $2.50 each (Marie Callenders).
I'll have to check the commissary next time I go. Pot pies do make a nice meal, quick, easy, and portable. Since Friday was payday, this isn't a good weekend to go to the BX or Commissary, though.

I ought to pick some of those up for us too--we both love pot pies. And there are always those times you just don't want to cook but want something hot and nourishing.
Stuff Mart (Wallyworld....... :eusa_whistle:) has em for $2.50 each (Marie Callenders).
I'll have to check the commissary next time I go. Pot pies do make a nice meal, quick, easy, and portable. Since Friday was payday, this isn't a good weekend to go to the BX or Commissary, though.

Hombre and I were just talking about a quick trip to the grocery store this morning and how neither one of us want to go.

Sounds like it could be a plan. Hombre and I have had one new home built from scratch and we loved the house once it was completed. We have agreed we don't know if our marriage is strong enough to do another one though. :)
Yeah, the biggest problem would be the wifes' impatience considering the cheapest route would be buy a used motor home and live on the property while I'm building the house.
My costs would be cut considerably as I could do the lot prep, dig for the foundation and footers and utility feeds (rent a backhoe). Construction would require hiring laborers to help and I could supervise, panelized kits are pretty easy to put together. I could do all the extra electrical, plumbing runs and ductwork, insulation and drywall work (with a small crew hanging drywall). I could install the baths and kitchen, again with some labor help.

Also found this on Craigslist for $4500.

00C0C_2FfeMRl9Txb_600x450.jpg

1988 33 footer with only 51k miles. Called the owner, nope not a scam. He just doesn't use it anymore and wants to get rid of it. there are some things that need work but the motor and mechanical is in great shape.
Again, uummmmm.........

Yeah, the biggest problem would be the wifes' impatience considering the cheapest route would be buy a used motor home and live on the property while I'm building the house.
My costs would be cut considerably as I could do the lot prep, dig for the foundation and footers and utility feeds (rent a backhoe). Construction would require hiring laborers to help and I could supervise, panelized kits are pretty easy to put together. I could do all the extra electrical, plumbing runs and ductwork, insulation and drywall work (with a small crew hanging drywall). I could install the baths and kitchen, again with some labor help.

I admire your confidence and enthusiasm. But also am thinking about your physical limitations and hope you wouldn't exacerbate those in the process. But you know what you're capable of better than any of us.

If you make your own pot pie, aren't you sort of ruining the whole point of the pot pie? They are good because they are simple and easy! Once you start doing it yourself, it's like any other cooked meal. :lol:

That's true but everything tastes so much better when you make it yourself.

I admire your confidence and enthusiasm. But also am thinking about your physical limitations and hope you wouldn't exacerbate those in the process. But you know what you're capable of better than any of us.
Most of the "heavy lifting" I would supervise, most carpenter work I would do, yeah I'd be sore but I wouldn't do anything I couldn't do that would cause me serious pain and lay me up for days or weeks. Mostly I would act as the general contractor cutting my costs up to 50% or more. Panalized construction means the walls come in pre-constructed sections that are put together like a puzzle. An old trick I learned decades ago is build the roof on the ground (If you have room) then crane it into place and strap it down.

Just talked it over with the wife, we're gonna hold off on the motor home until our plans are more defined. Yeah it's a great deal but until we know for sure what we're gonna do it's an unnecessary expense.

Forum List

Back