USMB Coffee Shop IV

Allen TX yesterday Morning

1maYmY.St.58.jpeg

Wow....ya'll got quite a bit of snow. Ours just didn't materialize here after they promised us some.
gone by 10 am when the sun came out
Only the hard surfaces here have almost fully thawed and only where the sun has hit them for most of the day. We still have a couple of inches of snow everywhere else though today we're supposed to have a heat wave, around 45 degrees, that should take care of most of it.

Morning everybody. I have to admit I don't mind winter, but then we generally have fairly mild ones. I tolerate the cold much better than the really hot weather.

I'm the opposite. I can tolerate the hot weather much better than the cold. I hate being cold. Lol.
Never move to Alamosa, CO........ :eusa_whistle:

If I moved, it would definitely be to a warmer climate, not colder. Lol. :D
Last year Alamosa set a record for coldest city in the US (at that time) at -33 degrees. Alamosa is just over the Sangre de Cristos from us, it in the San Luis Valley, 76 miles away as the crow flies. It's a farming and College town, Adams State University is there, the Rio Grande begins in the San Juan Mountains which make up the western boundary of the valley, the Great Sand Dunes Monument is in the northeast corner of the valley up against the Sangre de Cristos.
Because of the weather pattern and the layout of the mountain ranges the valley stays pretty cool during the summer but turns into an icebox during the winter.

Morning everybody. I have to admit I don't mind winter, but then we generally have fairly mild ones. I tolerate the cold much better than the really hot weather.

I'm the opposite. I can tolerate the hot weather much better than the cold. I hate being cold. Lol.

Last year Alamosa set a record for coldest city in the US (at that time) at -33 degrees. Alamosa is just over the Sangre de Cristos from us, it in the San Luis Valley, 76 miles away as the crow flies. It's a farming and College town, Adams State University is there, the Rio Grande begins in the San Juan Mountains which make up the western boundary of the valley, the Great Sand Dunes Monument is in the northeast corner of the valley up against the Sangre de Cristos.
Because of the weather pattern and the layout of the mountain ranges the valley stays pretty cool during the summer but turns into an icebox during the winter.

That sounds like a place not for me! :) I like hot steamy weather. I really do. Lol!

Now that there have been some changes to the CS, I might stop by more often.

We would be happy if you do NLT. But there have been no changes. The CS is pretty much as it has been from its inception: a place where everybody can be who and what they are and share what's going on in their lives. We rejoice with those who are enjoying success or good things happening. We provide moral support for those who are going through tough times such as a the loss of a beloved pet. And we laugh a lot and just enjoy each other and try to leave the drama elsewhere.

We discourage politics, religious discussions, or obviously controversial subjects because its just easier to keep the peace that way. Every now and then somebody will slip, and if everybody else will just cough and move on quickly, there is usually no harm/no foul. No need to stir up a big brouhaha or make something toxic that doesn't have to be. If it is a more serious infraction, mostly it is handled with a gentle reminder or behind the scenes.

Those who presume to dictate who and what everybody else is required to be to conform to their personal preferences or those with such thin skin that they take offense at everything don't find very fertile soil here though.

What I absolutely won't tolerate are those who bring their personal vendettas into the Coffee Shop and/or disrespect other members. If such people won't back down or move on, we may have to have them removed. Those who think that isn't taken seriously don't know what is going on behind the scenes. But over the four and a half years that the Coffee Shop has been in operation, we have roughly 125,000 posts and more than 5 million views and the serious brouhahas have been few and far between. So we must be doing something right.

Some people just don't have it in them to be both courteous and tolerant. And yes, it is disappointing and sometimes hurtful when some turn out to be fair weather friends, and sometimes that will be those who have been supported and sheltered the most in the CS. But oh well. Each to their own and I think it is safe to say that nobody wishes ill of anybody.

So pour another cup of whatever warms your soul and on we go. . .

Last edited:

We would be happy if you do NLT. But there have been no changes. The CS is pretty much as it has been from its inception: a place where everybody can be who and what they are and share what's going on in their lives. We rejoice with those who are enjoying success or good things happening. We provide moral support for those who are going through tough times such as a the loss of a beloved pet. And we laugh a lot and just enjoy each other and try to leave the drama elsewhere.

We discourage politics, religious discussions, or obviously controversial subjects because its just easier to keep the peace that way. Every now and then somebody will slip, and if everybody else will just cough and move on quickly, there is usually no harm/no foul. No need to stir up a big brouhaha or make something toxic that doesn't have to be. If it is a more serious in fraction, mostly it is handled with a gentle reminder or behind the scenes.

Those who presume to dictate who and what everybody else is required to be to conform to their personal preferences or those with such thin skin that they take offense at everything don't find very fertile soil here though.

What I absolutely won't tolerate are those who bring their personal vendettas into the Coffee Shop and disrespect other members. If such people won't back down or move on, we may have to have them removed. But over the four and a half years that the Coffee Shop has been in operation, we have roughly 125,000 posts and more than 5 million views and we can count the serious brouhahas have been few and far between. So we must be doing something right.

Some people just don't have it in them to be both courteous and tolerant. And yes, it is disappointing and sometimes hurtful when some turn out to be fair weather friends, and sometimes that will be those who have been supported and sheltered the most in the CS. But oh well. Each to their own and I think it is safe to say that nobody wishes ill of anybody.

What I meant by changes is changes in personnel who frequent thew CS recently.

That sounds like a place not for me! :) I like hot steamy weather. I really do. Lol!
Spent a third of my life growing up in the Pacific, didn't mind the heat and humidity as a child. In 77 I left Colorado and moved to northern Virginia where I spent 35 years with hot steamy summers, I'm done with hot and steamy. Up here at this elevation it can be in the 20s but if it's sunny and there's no breeze/wind a heavy winter jacket is too warm, when it gets into the upper 30s it's not uncommon to see people walking around in shorts and t-shirts. During the summer it can be in the 90s and I'm comfortable because of the low humidity, heck 40% humidity up here feels like 80% humidity in the lowlands. :lol:

Spent a third of my life growing up in the Pacific, didn't mind the heat and humidity as a child. In 77 I left Colorado and moved to northern Virginia where I spent 35 years with hot steamy summers, I'm done with hot and steamy. Up here at this elevation it can be in the 20s but if it's sunny and there's no breeze/wind a heavy winter jacket is too warm, when it gets into the upper 30s it's not uncommon to see people walking around in shorts and t-shirts. During the summer it can be in the 90s and I'm comfortable because of the low humidity, heck 40% humidity up here feels like 80% humidity in the lowlands. :lol:

We get some hot humid weather here in New England, but summer is pretty short lived. I'm sure if I had been born and raised in a hot climate, I'd be tired of that too. :lol: I don't mind winter and the cold sometimes, but I'm just sick of it.

We discourage politics, religious discussions, or obviously controversial subjects because its just easier to keep the peace that way. Every now and then somebody will slip, and if everybody else will just cough and move on quickly, there is usually no harm/no foul. No need to stir up a big brouhaha or make something toxic that doesn't have to be. If it is a more serious in fraction, mostly it is handled with a gentle reminder or behind the scenes.

What I absolutely won't tolerate are those who bring their personal vendettas into the Coffee Shop and disrespect other members. If such people won't back down or move on, we may have to have them removed. But over the four and a half years that the Coffee Shop has been in operation, we have roughly 125,000 posts and more than 5 million views and we can count the serious brouhahas have been few and far between. So we must be doing something right.

What I meant by changes is changes in personnel who frequent thew CS recently.

I understand. Hopefully those who dislike us or resent us or just can't get with the program will find what they are looking for elsewhere. But the CS has always been a welcoming place for all who want this kind of environment and it is definitely for grown ups of all ages and not for the immature, the vindictive, those with hidden agendas, those who expect everybody to conform to their preferences, or those with huge chips on their shoulders. And I think that's why the CS has been such a special place. It is populated with a widely diverse, eclectic bunch of people who can enjoy and appreciate our differences as well as what we have in common.

I really do love you guys.

Last edited:

We get some hot humid weather here in New England, but summer is pretty short lived. I'm sure if I had been born and raised in a hot climate, I'd be tired of that too. :lol: I don't mind winter and the cold sometimes, but I'm just sick of it.
Well I'm 60, like I said I didn't have a problem really until a few years ago, I used to reenact which meant wearing wool in that east coast summer heat. I've notice since moving here in 2012 that I'm starting to get "hot" when the temps reach the 70s especially in the car/truck with the sun beating though the windows......... Acclimating to the climate......

Well I'm 60, like I said I didn't have a problem really until a few years ago, I used to reenact which meant wearing wool in that east coast summer heat. I've notice since moving here in 2012 that I'm starting to get "hot" when the temps reach the 70s especially in the car/truck with the sun beating though the windows......... Acclimating to the climate......

Well after surviving the 'hot flashes' period of my life when a commercial walk in freezer wouldn't been cool enough, I have now reversed engines. Hombre and I spend a lot of time at our desks that are about five feet apart in our office. He will be in a short sleeved tee shirt and contemplating turning down the furnace while I am wearing a heavy sweatshirt, have a flannel shirt on over that, and am huddled up to the little electric heater on my desk.

But I still feel better in winter than I do in summer.

Well after surviving the 'hot flashes' period of my life when a commercial walk in freezer wouldn't been cool enough, I have now reversed engines. Hombre and I spend a lot of time at our desks that are about five feet apart in our office. He will be in a short sleeved tee shirt and contemplating turning down the furnace while wearing a heavy sweatshirt, have a flannel shirt on over that, and am huddled up to the little electric heater on my desk.

Sunday morning when I went out to shovel the drive it was in the 20s, bright and sunny, no wind. After 10 minutes I had to open my heavy coat and take my wool watch cap off, after 5 more minutes the coat came off....... I was wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt.......... :lol:

Well after surviving the 'hot flashes' period of my life when a commercial walk in freezer wouldn't been cool enough, I have now reversed engines. Hombre and I spend a lot of time at our desks that are about five feet apart in our office. He will be in a short sleeved tee shirt and contemplating turning down the furnace while wearing a heavy sweatshirt, have a flannel shirt on over that, and am huddled up to the little electric heater on my desk.

Sunday morning when I went out to shovel the drive it was in the 20s, bright and sunny, no wind. After 10 minutes I had to open my heavy coat and take my wool watch cap off, after 5 more minutes the coat came off....... I was wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt.......... :lol:

Well yeah. 20's isn't really heavy coat weather here. But it usually warrants more than a t-shirt. :) You put on the heavy coat when the temps are in the teens with a 40 mph wind that takes the wind chill factor on down there.

I don't like being particularly cold or hot, but if I have to choose between the two weathers, I'll go with cold. It's just easier to get warm generally, plus I hate getting sweaty. My fashion choices might also have something to do with it; I wear jeans no matter the weather, I favor black, I've got fairly long hair. The one big problem with the colder weather is I think it may be worse on my psoriasis. I hate getting these cuts on my knuckles all the time!

We have yet to have any cold weather in England. I have only had the heating on once this year and that was a couple of weeks ago. I think it is due to global warming, as a few years ago it got cold in September and I needed the heating on from September to April.

I see I'm a long way behind here. I can't believe I haven't stopped in since Friday.

We've been having trouble getting the heat working at Doc's. It's not gotten below 66 in there, but 4 or 5 different people have been out to fix various things. We are down to a faulty (new) gas valve that can't be advanced past the pilot setting. Damned if anyone can figure it out. I guess I gotta call out the big guns and pay through the nose.
Had the previous owner called in an authorized service tech when the problem first arrose, it would have been fixed on warranty. Instead, she called in customers that knew a little and each one screwed it up a little more. I have about a grand in parts in it now and it's a matter of a simple switch somewhere that won't let me turn on the burners.

I don't like being particularly cold or hot, but if I have to choose between the two weathers, I'll go with cold. It's just easier to get warm generally, plus I hate getting sweaty. My fashion choices might also have something to do with it; I wear jeans no matter the weather, I favor black, I've got fairly long hair. The one big problem with the colder weather is I think it may be worse on my psoriasis. I hate getting these cuts on my knuckles all the time!
Have you tried TriDerma Psoriasis Control? Works like a charm on mine.
As for hot and cold, give me cold any day especially at bedtime, I hate trying to sleep in hot weather.

Well yeah. 20's isn't really heavy coat weather here. But it usually warrants more than a t-shirt. :) You put on the heavy coat when the temps are in the teens with a 40 mph wind that takes the wind chill factor on down there.
Yeah, I can't wear Nanook unless it's like that.

This is Nanook:

1263959470315_hz_myalibaba_web11_2120.jpg

I need to get me one of those! :D
On line for $60 to $70. Wait little while and the price may come down, I saw them listed last year for as low as $25, probably during the summer but I don't remember. Mine's over 20 years old and I need to eventually replace it.

The wife slept in, first thing she did after getting up was bump up the heat to 70. :lol: We drop it down to 63 or 64 when we go to bed, I raised it to 66 when I got up, still a little cool but it doesn't get too warm for her under the covers. We use a summer comforter with a light blanket over it during the winter, anything more and we would swelter under the covers. We have some heavy comforters but they're only for an emergency, like if we lose our heat and the temp gets really cold, has only happened once.

Forum List

Back