USMB Coffee Shop IV

We have yet to have any cold weather in England. I have only had the heating on once this year and that was a couple of weeks ago. I think it is due to global warming, as a few years ago it got cold in September and I needed the heating on from September to April.

Same here, but now the weather patterns seem to be shifting back to the former patterns. I certainly hope so as it could signal the end to our interminable drought for a decade plus now. Weather changes, there have always been fluctuations in climate conditions, and we all keep on keeping on. The old timers remember the weird years of the past when the roses were budding in January as well as blizzard years, unusual cold, unusual heat. What 'feels' normal to us isn't always the way it is. :)

I mentioned before I lived in Minneapolis for six years (a/k/a Ice Station Zebra).

ice-station-zebra.jpg

Temps of -20 below are very common. You can go days where the temps never get above zero. Brutal.

Anyway, there is a City ordinance that requires you to shovel the sidewalk in front of your house after every snowfall. The problem: It snows beginning in Sept and stops sometime in April. I refused to buy a snow blower. Stupid I guess but I shoveled.... alot. :)

I did have to buy a pick ax to break through the frozen ice wall the plows would pile up in front of my driveway every evening. At -10 below the snow and ice was like concrete.

Ah.....good times....good times.....:lol:

I don't like being particularly cold or hot, but if I have to choose between the two weathers, I'll go with cold. It's just easier to get warm generally, plus I hate getting sweaty. My fashion choices might also have something to do with it; I wear jeans no matter the weather, I favor black, I've got fairly long hair. The one big problem with the colder weather is I think it may be worse on my psoriasis. I hate getting these cuts on my knuckles all the time!

I have battled mild to moderate to severe psoriasis at different times since my 20's. It comes and goes, flares up and goes into remission, but you're right. It sometimes does get worse in the winter. I think it is because of reduced sunlight. Maybe a sun lamp would help?

I mentioned before I lived in Minneapolis for six years (a/k/a Ice Station Zebra).

ice-station-zebra.jpg

Temps of -20 below are very common. You can go days where the temps never get above zero. Brutal.

Anyway, there is a City ordinance that requires you to shovel the sidewalk in front of your house after every snowfall. The problem: It snows beginning in Sept and stops sometime in April. I refused to buy a snow blower. Stupid I guess but I shoveled.... alot. :)

I did have to buy a pick ax to break through the frozen ice wall the plows would pile up in front of my driveway every evening. At -10 below the snow and ice was like concrete.

Ah.....good times....good times.....:lol:

We can relate. I can't believe we spent all those years up on the mountain where snow is measured in feet, not inches, and we never bought a snow blower. Here in the city, however, a sturdy push broom is usually that is needed to clear the walks and driveway. Fortunately we rarely get ice under the snow, but it can happen if we fail to clear the snow immediately after it falls so that there is melting and refreezing.

I don't like being particularly cold or hot, but if I have to choose between the two weathers, I'll go with cold. It's just easier to get warm generally, plus I hate getting sweaty. My fashion choices might also have something to do with it; I wear jeans no matter the weather, I favor black, I've got fairly long hair. The one big problem with the colder weather is I think it may be worse on my psoriasis. I hate getting these cuts on my knuckles all the time!

I have battled mild to moderate to severe psoriasis at different times since my 20's. It comes and goes, flares up and goes into remission, but you're right. It sometimes does get worse in the winter. I think it is because reduced sunlight. Maybe a sun lamp would help?
It's because of the cold dryness. The drier it is the worse it can be.

Avoid dry, cold weather. Climate can have a big effect on psoriasis. For many people, cold, dry weather makes symptoms worse. Hot weather usually makes it better, but not always.
10 Ways to Prevent Psoriasis Flare-Ups

Y'all are making me cold. Its about 60 here. For us..that is brrr weather.
Yup, depends on where you live, what climate you've adjusted to. One move we're considering, out of all our potential plans, is to Phoenix AZ. During the winter one can drive an hour and a half north to ski then drive back, put on their shorts and shirt and go play golf........ People talk about having their AC set for 85 in the summer and the house is almost cold but with highs in the 100s it's not surprising.

Good furfam vibes coming for Loki. I have lost so many fur-fam members...I understand too well. I currently have two "old lady" kitties (17 & 18 yrs) and my doxie shows all the signs of impending kidney failure...I wonder just how many will make it south with me next summer.
All of 'em, hon. ALL of 'em.
FattyCat lived to 23. Only thing that finally took him down was bone cancer. And Moki is tough little guy. Been going outside to pee and poo, ate some mushy stuff I fixed for him, took his pills with no prob and is comfy on pillows on daddys bed. When karma had her tumors removed, she whined and cried all night. Not a peep out of moki.
So yep..yours will come south with you. Betcha. :)
Every single one of my fur-fam, living and gone, will come South with me. They do indeed live on in my memories and my dreams. Have I mentioned that my partner "inters" the fur-fam in a special tree? He insists that kitties love to climb and be high up so they can see. So, he hoists their "coffins" up into a fir tree. I usually have a poem with each one that specifically memorializes their special lives.

Does he leave them there?
Uh, yeah...we have a tree full of little cat coffins. I suppose it makes my partner happy, somehow. The dead cats don't seem bothered.

Lol! I must say, that is one of the oddest things I've heard! :D It must quite the conversation piece!
Most people don't even notice them. And if you want to meet 'odd', you've got to meet my partner. Most of us march to a different drummer sometimes. This guy has a full-time marching band!

Sedona Az is where I would head if I were to move to that state. Been there before and it is just gorgeous.

G-g-g-g-good morning, everyone!

OK, last night was a cold martha focker! Down to 8 degrees and a wind chill of -6 here in central Missouri. We still have most of the 3" of snow still stuck to the ground from Sunday's forecasted half inch. I don't know about you people, but this is incredibly early for this type of weather here. I've been saying all summer (or lack thereof) that this winter was going to be even worse than last year, and this is one of those times I really wish I could be wrong. I really hope I can get the wood stove installed soon.
Dang! Sucks to be you guys. I stayed above freezing most of yesterday, just under 40F. And still no snow. We've quite a heavy frost, but the snow seems to be vacationing in the Lower 48 right now.

Yup, depends on where you live, what climate you've adjusted to. One move we're considering, out of all our potential plans, is to Phoenix AZ. During the winter one can drive an hour and a half north to ski then drive back, put on their shorts and shirt and go play golf........ People talk about having their AC set for 85 in the summer and the house is almost cold but with highs in the 100s it's not surprising.
Yeah, about that 85 degree setting... I had to go to Phoenix in late summer one year for training. Outside, there were triple-digit temps so I sought refuge in my hotel room where the thermostat would not permit any setting lower than 85!! Holy cow! 60 is a lovely, almost too-warm day up here. I do suppose we become acclimated to our chosen domiciles.

All of 'em, hon. ALL of 'em.
FattyCat lived to 23. Only thing that finally took him down was bone cancer. And Moki is tough little guy. Been going outside to pee and poo, ate some mushy stuff I fixed for him, took his pills with no prob and is comfy on pillows on daddys bed. When karma had her tumors removed, she whined and cried all night. Not a peep out of moki.
So yep..yours will come south with you. Betcha. :)
Every single one of my fur-fam, living and gone, will come South with me. They do indeed live on in my memories and my dreams. Have I mentioned that my partner "inters" the fur-fam in a special tree? He insists that kitties love to climb and be high up so they can see. So, he hoists their "coffins" up into a fir tree. I usually have a poem with each one that specifically memorializes their special lives.

Uh, yeah...we have a tree full of little cat coffins. I suppose it makes my partner happy, somehow. The dead cats don't seem bothered.

Lol! I must say, that is one of the oddest things I've heard! :D It must quite the conversation piece!
Most people don't even notice them. And if you want to meet 'odd', you've got to meet my partner. Most of us march to a different drummer sometimes. This guy has a full-time marching band!

Lol! He seems very interesting. I'm trying to think of a clever name to call the tree. :D

I think the weather sounds good, but I like a more lush environment. I think Hawaii sounds fantastic to me!

Have you tried TriDerma Psoriasis Control? Works like a charm on mine.
As for hot and cold, give me cold any day especially at bedtime, I hate trying to sleep in hot weather.

I have not tried that. I have tried another OTC psoriasis medication that was salicylic acid based and did not like it, though. I've done better with a coal tar base. The next time I get some I'll try to remember that though and give it a shot, thanks. :)

G-g-g-g-good morning, everyone!

OK, last night was a cold martha focker! Down to 8 degrees and a wind chill of -6 here in central Missouri. We still have most of the 3" of snow still stuck to the ground from Sunday's forecasted half inch. I don't know about you people, but this is incredibly early for this type of weather here. I've been saying all summer (or lack thereof) that this winter was going to be even worse than last year, and this is one of those times I really wish I could be wrong. I really hope I can get the wood stove installed soon.

Morning SixFoot. It is a bit early for this weather here as well. It is alleged that this winter will be colder and longer then the previous one. I am over this getting dark nonsense shortly after 5pm.

Morning, M! I agree, daylight savings time is retarded. The only "good" it does around here is make it a little brighter at 0500 when its time to let the chickens out of the coop. That's literally it. lol

For real, that is literally the only perk. I do not miss those early morning farm chores as a kid in this weather.

Funny story this morning. All the chickens this morning refused to leave the shelter of the coop. They hate walking on the snow, so they're all huddled up together in the corner... except one. She was standing out in the middle of the field in the snow on one foot, shivering like crazy about an hour ago. Its really fitting that I named her Retard. Definitely time to get a load of scratch grains for the upcoming repeats of this cold snap.

Attachments

• retard owl.jpg
    retard owl.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 65
I don't know if anyone in here enjoys MMA, but I DVR'd the preliminary fights to the latest UFC and a couple of the fights have been unexpectedly entertaining, if gross. In one, a woman with cauliflower ear had her ear practically cut in half by a punch. It looked horrible, and she wanted to keep going! In another, a man had the shit literally knocked out of him.
:ack-1:

Lol! He seems very interesting. I'm trying to think of a clever name to call the tree. :D
Cool, I'll pack him up and send him to you. It can be very challenging, dealing with someone this....ah, um...unique.

Cool, I'll pack him up and send him to you. It can be very challenging, dealing with someone this....ah, um...unique.

Well, look on the bright side, hoisting cat coffins into a tree is good exercise! :lol:

Forum List

Back