USMB Coffee Shop IV

LOL. Okay, that was good. :)

Hope the day finds you all well and fit, ready for the eating marathon about about to take place...be the first year in quite a while I won't be frying a Turkey..feels odd to let a tradition lapse on such a day...

Well, frying a turkey has never become a tradition at our house as I have never done that in my lifetime. I have eaten fried turkey I think twice just because it was brought to a potluck dinner. But I did consider having a non-traditional (sans turkey) Thanksgiving dinner this year. But my aunt picked up a freebie 16-pounder at the grocery store last week and insisted that I take it. (She and my uncle will be at our table for Thanksgiving dinner.) So......I'll put the bird in the oven early Thursday morning.

Right now the planned menu is very traditional:

Roast turkey
Dressing
Gravy
Green bean casserole
Sweet potato souffle
Lime/pineapple salad
Strawberry salad
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream

All washed down with copious amounts of peach tea.

My father in law was a preacher after he retired from the Army, his first church was New Iberia, La, the love fried Turkey, he showed me how to do it one Thanksgiving, since then that was my job frying one Turkey and Smoking another, someone else did the Oven roasted......mmmmm good stuff... He said it was like a foreign country there but he loved it...

I've not seen it done. How big a turkey? What do you fry it in? With what heat source? How do you know it is done?

First of all one must be the adventurist sort...and not accident prone...
One needs about a 10 pound bird, I and some Cajun Butter with injector

untitled.png
bayou-classic-5030-marinade-injector.jpg

There are two kinds of fryers a propane
turkey-fryer2.jpg
c
or Electric...electric safest

Hint...before one does anything put still wrapped turkey in plastic trash bag, put it in the tall alum. pot, add water until you cover turkey by 1/2" take turkey out and mark the pot at the water level. That will be the level of you will need to fill with oil, Cajuns use peanut oil...or that's what I was taught...Cajun Butter or whatever on likes

Fire up propane burner, bring oil up to 350 degrees, inject turkey with Cajun Butter or whatever on likes pierce through turkey through to the cavity where the leg meets the breast...carefully lower turkey into oil...carefully! Fry for 45 minutes to an hour and its done..I used fresh turkey so I knew it was completely thawed... a 1 margarita limit process...really an outdoor process, I would set mine up by my pit and watch the turkey and ham I had smoking..

Hmmm. I think I'll just stick with the oven roasted bird and enjoy other people's fried turkey. :)

I just made the YUMMIEST potato soup in the crock pot. Hubs went back for 3rds!!! I went back for 2nds. Dayum it was good.
I had it in my pinterest but when I clicked the link to get the recipe to make it today, the pic was there but the recipe was gone. Kaput. Good thing I wrote it down a few months ago and stuck it in a drawer, lol.

Okay. I'm looking for a good potato soup recipe and a crock pot one would be heaven. So, now's the time to type out what you wrote down. And copy and paste it here.
OK. Hang on a sec. Gotta go fetch my recipe book in the kitchen.

BRB

Hope the day finds you all well and fit, ready for the eating marathon about about to take place...be the first year in quite a while I won't be frying a Turkey..feels odd to let a tradition lapse on such a day...

Well, frying a turkey has never become a tradition at our house as I have never done that in my lifetime. I have eaten fried turkey I think twice just because it was brought to a potluck dinner. But I did consider having a non-traditional (sans turkey) Thanksgiving dinner this year. But my aunt picked up a freebie 16-pounder at the grocery store last week and insisted that I take it. (She and my uncle will be at our table for Thanksgiving dinner.) So......I'll put the bird in the oven early Thursday morning.

Roast turkey
Dressing
Gravy
Green bean casserole
Sweet potato souffle
Lime/pineapple salad
Strawberry salad
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream

My father in law was a preacher after he retired from the Army, his first church was New Iberia, La, the love fried Turkey, he showed me how to do it one Thanksgiving, since then that was my job frying one Turkey and Smoking another, someone else did the Oven roasted......mmmmm good stuff... He said it was like a foreign country there but he loved it...

I've not seen it done. How big a turkey? What do you fry it in? With what heat source? How do you know it is done?

First of all one must be the adventurist sort...and not accident prone...
One needs about a 10 pound bird, I and some Cajun Butter with injector

untitled.png
bayou-classic-5030-marinade-injector.jpg

There are two kinds of fryers a propane
turkey-fryer2.jpg
c
or Electric...electric safest

Hint...before one does anything put still wrapped turkey in plastic trash bag, put it in the tall alum. pot, add water until you cover turkey by 1/2" take turkey out and mark the pot at the water level. That will be the level of you will need to fill with oil, Cajuns use peanut oil...or that's what I was taught...Cajun Butter or whatever on likes

Fire up propane burner, bring oil up to 350 degrees, inject turkey with Cajun Butter or whatever on likes pierce through turkey through to the cavity where the leg meets the breast...carefully lower turkey into oil...carefully! Fry for 45 minutes to an hour and its done..I used fresh turkey so I knew it was completely thawed... a 1 margarita limit process...really an outdoor process, I would set mine up by my pit and watch the turkey and ham I had smoking..

Hmmm. I think I'll just stick with the oven roasted bird and enjoy other people's fried turkey. :)

Shucks...

2 cups diced onion
1 cup minced celery
1TBSP minced garlic
2 TBSP flour
6 cups diced/cubed potatoes
1 tsp paprika
3 cups chicken broth
1 TBS worchestershire sauce
1 tsp tobasco
4 cups cheddar cheese
2 cups milk
8 slices bacon

Cook bacon then set aside. Keep 2 TBS grease in pan. Add onions, celery, garlic until onions are tender. Stir in flour, dry mustard, paprika, broth worchestershire, tobasco, milk, cheese and stir. Pour in crock pot. Add potatoes. Cook on low 4 hours. When serving, crumble bacon on top.

(I precooked the taters by boiling them half way, and I also added extra dry mustard and corn starch to make the soup thicker, plus some ground pepper).

It looks kinda like this one:
f0552d3504423268110a53cd59d86901.jpg

I cheat with my soups, I use the canned soups as a base. Take "potato" soup;

1 large can cream of potato soup
1 large can cream of broccoli soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 or 2 small bags of frozen broccoli (depending on taste)
2 cups diced potatoes (the frozen hash browns work great)
1/4 small onion, diced
2 cups diced cooked ham or chicken
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
Mix everything together except the shredded cheese, cook on med low for two hours stirring frequently, add shredded cheddar cheese in the last 5 minutes of cooking and blend well.
Halve the recipe for smaller amounts. Leftovers can be stored in containers for up to one week.

Roast turkey
Dressing
Gravy
Green bean casserole
Sweet potato souffle
Lime/pineapple salad
Strawberry salad
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream

I will be having a traditional meal too.

Turkey
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Pork stuffing
Cranberry salad
Sweet potatoes
Turnip
Butternut squash
A few different types of bread (cranberry, pumpkin)
Apple pie and pumpkin pie

That's all I can remember right now. :D I will be going to my mom's and bringing a couple of those dishes. My grandmother, aunt, uncle and cousins will be there too. :) I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I like cooking and I love eating. Lol!

I love to cook too. And every Thanksgiving I try one new recipe that I either invented or have been wanting to make but needed an occasion to do it. Unfortunately, except for my aunt who will be here--she's 88 years old--and an older sister who is no longer physically able to entertain--I am the oldest in my generation so the tradition always comes to my house. My aunt is the last living of her generation too.

Lol! I tried a new recipe last year, and discovered that I don't like fennel. :D It was fennel and celery root puree. People who like fennel would probably like it, but I didn't like the flavor of it at all.

I think I heard/read that fennel has a black licorice flavor...I'm not a fan. However, if my guy made it for me, I'd eat it with a smile.:eusa_angel:

It's not good. :D

Roast turkey
Dressing
Gravy
Green bean casserole
Sweet potato souffle
Lime/pineapple salad
Strawberry salad
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream

Turkey
Pork stuffing
Cranberry salad
Sweet potatoes
Turnip
Butternut squash

That's all I can remember right now. :D I will be going to my mom's and bringing a couple of those dishes. My grandmother, aunt, uncle and cousins will be there too. :) I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I like cooking and I love eating. Lol!

I love to cook too. And every Thanksgiving I try one new recipe that I either invented or have been wanting to make but needed an occasion to do it. Unfortunately, except for my aunt who will be here--she's 88 years old--and an older sister who is no longer physically able to entertain--I am the oldest in my generation so the tradition always comes to my house. My aunt is the last living of her generation too.

Lol! I tried a new recipe last year, and discovered that I don't like fennel. :D It was fennel and celery root puree. People who like fennel would probably like it, but I didn't like the flavor of it at all.

I think I heard/read that fennel has a black licorice flavor...I'm not a fan. However, if my guy made it for me, I'd eat it with a smile.:eusa_angel:

Yer supposed to smoke that stuff, not eat it, fer chrissakes.

Turkey
Pork stuffing
Cranberry salad
Sweet potatoes
Turnip
Butternut squash

Yer supposed to smoke that stuff, not eat it, fer chrissakes.

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone smoking fennel. :lol:

2 cups diced onion
1 cup minced celery
1TBSP minced garlic
2 TBSP flour
6 cups diced/cubed potatoes
1 tsp paprika
3 cups chicken broth
1 TBS worchestershire sauce
1 tsp tobasco
4 cups cheddar cheese
2 cups milk
8 slices bacon

Cook bacon then set aside. Keep 2 TBS grease in pan. Add onions, celery, garlic until onions are tender. Stir in flour, dry mustard, paprika, broth worchestershire, tobasco, milk, cheese and stir. Pour in crock pot. Add potatoes. Cook on low 4 hours. When serving, crumble bacon on top.

(I precooked the taters by boiling them half way, and I also added extra dry mustard and corn starch to make the soup thicker, plus some ground pepper).

It looks kinda like this one:
f0552d3504423268110a53cd59d86901.jpg

That looks wonderful Gracie. Thanks.

It's even better the next day. Leftovers..if you are lucky to have any. I have about 2 cups left. MINE. lol

1/4 small onion, diced
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
Mix everything together except the shredded cheese, cook on med low for two hours stirring frequently, add shredded cheddar cheese in the last 5 minutes of cooking and blend well.
Halve the recipe for smaller amounts. Leftovers can be stored in containers for up to one week.

I have a simpler one that we enjoy a lot for a quick hearty hot supper. I call it 1 x 4 soup:

1 lb hamburger well browned, drained, seasoned to taste with salt & pepper
add 1 can minestrone soup
add 1 can pinto beans
add 1 can rotel tomatoes (we use the one with green chile)
stir together and heat
serve with crackers or cornbread

serves two or three with generous portions
just double for a bigger group (but then you call it 2 x 4 soup)

We haven't found anybody yet who doesn't like this and we feed some very picky people

Am I a bad person for disliking Samuel on Master Chef Jr? He is a mini Frasier. Very pompous.

Not big on Turkey although Constantinople is nice.......
We prefer ham or if we're lazy and one is nearby, Boston Market for a whole chicken meal......

I LOVE Boston Market Chicken!!!!

My mom is making two small turkeys, but I'd prefer chicken any day of the week...I've never tried Boston Market.
I'm pretty ambivalent about chicken but love turkey.
There are 2 chicken dishes I do kind of like. I'll eat Buffalo wings, if they're hot enough and my mom's Northern fried chicken.
I'll pressure cook a mess of wings or drum sticks and deep fry them (425*) after coating in a batter made from 2 cups flour, almost 1 cup of milk, 1 tbsp of oil from the deep frier, 2 tsp baking powder and a couple tsp of poultry seasoning.(to taste)
Don't add the baking powder until just before you use the batter.
Pressure cook about 12 minutes coat, then deep fry til golden brown.
It ends up nice and moist and I almost think of it as a roast chicken with the stuffing on the outside.
The coating will be about 1/4 inch thick brown outside and white inside.
The juice from the pressure cooker will start a good soup

I'd have to ask them..."No liquor?..so what explains the hats

LOL. Okay, that was good. :)

Roast turkey
Dressing
Gravy
Green bean casserole
Sweet potato souffle
Lime/pineapple salad
Strawberry salad
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream

Turkey
Pork stuffing
Cranberry salad
Sweet potatoes
Turnip
Butternut squash

Being the oldest of the family does come with responsibilities.
I remember, as a small kid, my grandfather carved the turkey. After his death, that duty fell to my father's older brother, then to my dad. It came as quite a shock 5 years ago to find myself with the big knife. I both like it and hate it at the same time.

1/4 small onion, diced
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard

I have a simpler one that we enjoy a lot for a quick hearty hot supper. I call it 1 x 4 soup:

add 1 can pinto beans
stir together and heat

We haven't found anybody yet who doesn't like this and we feed some very picky people
Ya just found two who wouldn't like it, I hate minestrone soup and my wife hates pinto beans. :dunno:

1/4 small onion, diced
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard

add 1 can pinto beans
stir together and heat

Ya just found two who wouldn't like it, I hate minestrone soup and my wife hates pinto beans. :dunno:

But neither tastes like minestrone soup or pinto beans in that recipe. It is quite amazing.

Am I a bad person for disliking Samuel on Master Chef Jr? He is a mini Frasier. Very pompous.

A bad person? No. He does have a dual personality--sometimes quite obnoxious and sometimes pretty neat. He showed both sides tonight I think.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Tresha and hubby,
Mr. H and his friend,
strollingbones & hubby,
GW's daughter's friend Sachenda,
Peach174,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

ThanksgivingBlessings.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.​

Forum List

Back