USMB Coffee Shop IV

There is no Thanksgiving where I am. Lunch was Chicken Biryani; dinner will be soup and salad. I am working all day, and working late because there is a quarterly meeting after work today.

10325267_611928485578755_4170225548762125214_n.jpg

Am I a bad person for disliking Samuel on Master Chef Jr? He is a mini Frasier. Very pompous.
I find people I don't like generally don't like me, so it all works out in the end. You probably wouldn't be his type either. :)

And sometimes we find out that the people we thought we liked were not all that likable, and some we didn't take to at all turned out to be pretty neat. :) Good to see you Esmeralda.

There is no Thanksgiving where I am. Lunch was Chicken Biryani; dinner will be soup and salad. I am working all day, and working late because there is a quarterly meeting after work today.

You know, last year I went around and around with Nosmoking over businesses who stay open for Thanskgiving. He was opposed and I took a more live and let live approach to it. But watching Fox & Friends this morning, they were showing some of the major businesses that won't be staying open tomorrow so their employees can have a day off with family, and I found myself nodding in agreement and feeling all warm and fuzzy about those businesses. Which tells me that deep down I think folks should be able to be home on Thanksgiving if they want to. Just some of the big stores that have chosen to close this year:

Sams Club
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-a
Dillards
Home Depot
Costco
Ace Hardware
Barnes & Noble
Patagonia
Crate and Barrel
Neiman Marcus
GameStop
Nordstrom
Bed Bath & Beyond
Burlington Coat Factory
REI

And I think if these stores receive favorable publicity for this choice, it will set a new trend. And Esmeralda might not have to work on Thanksgiving.

I woke up about 5:30 this morning and couldn't for the life of me get back to sleep. Watched TV in bed for a while and have been up in my robe for an hour. I'm working on my second cup of organic Guatemalan Estate.We'll be eating at friends' place tomorrow. Kathy and Jim are hosting since Max and I are just too damned busy to put it all together.

A couple folks who would be all alone on Thanksgiving have been invited. One of them should be very interesting if Jim brings out the good rum. Doug is a decent guy; a widower, smart and well read, but after 3 or 4 cocktails, regales those around him with tales of being abducted by aliens and asking everyone to feel the implant near his knee.
Doc's will be open regardless of how many show. The leftovers will go there, both to feed staff and for anyone else who comes hungry.

Morning everybody!

I'm finely starting to feel human again. :)
I can taste food again. YEAH!
That means I will be able to enjoy my thanksgiving dinner. I have lots to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day Tomorrow.
I hope all of you have a great and wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Wednesdays morning smile :)

funny-animals-1415.jpg

I woke up about 5:30 this morning and couldn't for the life of me get back to sleep. Watched TV in bed for a while and have been up in my robe for an hour. I'm working on my second cup of organic Guatemalan Estate.We'll be eating at friends' place tomorrow. Kathy and Jim are hosting since Max and I are just too damned busy to put it all together.

A couple folks who would be all alone on Thanksgiving have been invited. One of them should be very interesting if Jim brings out the good rum. Doug is a decent guy; a widower, smart and well read, but after 3 or 4 cocktails, regales those around him with tales of being abducted by aliens and asking everyone to feel the implant near his knee.
Doc's will be open regardless of how many show. The leftovers will go there, both to feed staff and for anyone else who comes hungry.

And that's the other side of the coin and the one I argued last year. Everybody doesn't have family close by or someplace warm and fuzzy to be on Thanskgiving and rather than just sit home alone and watch football, they appreciate having someplace to go out; something to do. In our really big family gatherings, a group shopping expedition or movie has become part of the Thanksgiving tradition. So I guess my attitude about it is still live and let live. But I still felt all warm and fuzzy about those big stores closing tomorrow. And I bet you aren't making folks work tomorrow who really want to be home either. :)

Morning everybody!

I'm finely starting to feel human again. :)
I can taste food again. YEAH!
That means I will be able to enjoy my thanksgiving dinner. I have lots to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day Tomorrow.
I hope all of you have a great and wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Wednesdays morning smile :)

funny-animals-1415.jpg

Well of course you feel better. We put you on the vigil list!!!! (kidding) Seriously, happy to hear you're feeling better. We'll keep you on the list one more day though to ward off any relapse.

And that's the other side of the coin and the one I argued last year. Everybody doesn't have family close by or someplace warm and fuzzy to be on Thanskgiving and rather than just sit home alone and watch football, they appreciate having someplace to go out; something to do. In our really big family gatherings, a group shopping expedition or movie has become part of the Thanksgiving tradition. So I guess my attitude about it is still live and let live. But I still felt all warm and fuzzy about those big stores closing tomorrow. And I bet you aren't making folks work tomorrow who really want to be home either. :)
The lady that will be tending bar has no family close by and wanted to work the double today. Donald, (security/barback) will eat with friends then be in about 8.
Max and I will stop by with a plate for each when we leave Kathy and Jim's.

I would never demand anyone work a holiday, but many in this business either prefer to work or have no one near-by.
I'm thinking it should be a decent day for Doc's. Likely half of the other bars in town will close so we'll get some infrequent guests. Tips should be good today as well.

I cheat with my soups, I use the canned soups as a base. Take "potato" soup;

1 large can cream of potato soup
1 large can cream of broccoli soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 or 2 small bags of frozen broccoli (depending on taste)
2 cups diced potatoes (the frozen hash browns work great)
1/4 small onion, diced
2 cups diced cooked ham or chicken
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
Mix everything together except the shredded cheese, cook on med low for two hours stirring frequently, add shredded cheddar cheese in the last 5 minutes of cooking and blend well.
Halve the recipe for smaller amounts. Leftovers can be stored in containers for up to one week.

I have a simpler one that we enjoy a lot for a quick hearty hot supper. I call it 1 x 4 soup:

1 lb hamburger well browned, drained, seasoned to taste with salt & pepper
add 1 can minestrone soup
add 1 can pinto beans
add 1 can rotel tomatoes (we use the one with green chile)
stir together and heat
serve with crackers or cornbread

serves two or three with generous portions
just double for a bigger group (but then you call it 2 x 4 soup)

We haven't found anybody yet who doesn't like this and we feed some very picky people

The only ingredient I like is the hamburger. I don't eat minestrone, any beans but green beans, and almost always avoid tomato. Hell, I don't even like cornbread. :lol:

I cheat with my soups, I use the canned soups as a base. Take "potato" soup;

1 large can cream of potato soup
1 large can cream of broccoli soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 or 2 small bags of frozen broccoli (depending on taste)
2 cups diced potatoes (the frozen hash browns work great)
1/4 small onion, diced
2 cups diced cooked ham or chicken
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
Mix everything together except the shredded cheese, cook on med low for two hours stirring frequently, add shredded cheddar cheese in the last 5 minutes of cooking and blend well.
Halve the recipe for smaller amounts. Leftovers can be stored in containers for up to one week.

I have a simpler one that we enjoy a lot for a quick hearty hot supper. I call it 1 x 4 soup:

1 lb hamburger well browned, drained, seasoned to taste with salt & pepper
add 1 can minestrone soup
add 1 can pinto beans
add 1 can rotel tomatoes (we use the one with green chile)
stir together and heat
serve with crackers or cornbread

serves two or three with generous portions
just double for a bigger group (but then you call it 2 x 4 soup)

We haven't found anybody yet who doesn't like this and we feed some very picky people

The only ingredient I like is the hamburger. I don't eat minestrone, any beans but green beans, and almost always avoid tomato. Hell, I don't even like cornbread. :lol:

Yeah but you're weird. Lovable, but weird. :)

Okay folks. I need to put into a couple of hours of vigorous activity here -- making up the guest beds, folding laundry, etc. in advance of house guests arrive around noon. Catch ya'll later.

Forum List

Back