USMB Coffee Shop IV

I cheat with my soups, I use the canned soups as a base. Take "potato" soup;

1 large can cream of potato soup
1 large can cream of broccoli soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 or 2 small bags of frozen broccoli (depending on taste)
2 cups diced potatoes (the frozen hash browns work great)
1/4 small onion, diced
2 cups diced cooked ham or chicken
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
Mix everything together except the shredded cheese, cook on med low for two hours stirring frequently, add shredded cheddar cheese in the last 5 minutes of cooking and blend well.
Halve the recipe for smaller amounts. Leftovers can be stored in containers for up to one week.

I have a simpler one that we enjoy a lot for a quick hearty hot supper. I call it 1 x 4 soup:

1 lb hamburger well browned, drained, seasoned to taste with salt & pepper
add 1 can minestrone soup
add 1 can pinto beans
add 1 can rotel tomatoes (we use the one with green chile)
stir together and heat
serve with crackers or cornbread

serves two or three with generous portions
just double for a bigger group (but then you call it 2 x 4 soup)

We haven't found anybody yet who doesn't like this and we feed some very picky people

The only ingredient I like is the hamburger. I don't eat minestrone, any beans but green beans, and almost always avoid tomato. Hell, I don't even like cornbread. :lol:

I hate beans except green beans too! I even leave them out of my chili and substitute red peppers instead. :D If I have chili with beans, there is a big pile of beans at the bottom of my bowl when I'm done.

There is no Thanksgiving where I am. Lunch was Chicken Biryani; dinner will be soup and salad. I am working all day, and working late because there is a quarterly meeting after work today.

You know, last year I went around and around with Nosmoking over businesses who stay open for Thanskgiving. He was opposed and I took a more live and let live approach to it. But watching Fox & Friends this morning, they were showing some of the major businesses that won't be staying open tomorrow so their employees can have a day off with family, and I found myself nodding in agreement and feeling all warm and fuzzy about those businesses. Which tells me that deep down I think folks should be able to be home on Thanksgiving if they want to. Just some of the big stores that have chosen to close this year:

Sams Club
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-a
Dillards
Home Depot
Costco
Ace Hardware
Barnes & Noble
Patagonia
Crate and Barrel
Neiman Marcus
GameStop
Nordstrom
Bed Bath & Beyond
Burlington Coat Factory
REI

And I think if these stores receive favorable publicity for this choice, it will set a new trend. And Esmeralda might not have to work on Thanksgiving.
Thanks for the thoughts, but I meant I'm not in the US. There is no Thanksgiving here: it's an American holiday. I could have taken a personal leave day, but today is a day where there are important quarterly meetings from which I cannot be excused.

Last edited:
There is no Thanksgiving where I am. Lunch was Chicken Biryani; dinner will be soup and salad. I am working all day, and working late because there is a quarterly meeting after work today.

You know, last year I went around and around with Nosmoking over businesses who stay open for Thanskgiving. He was opposed and I took a more live and let live approach to it. But watching Fox & Friends this morning, they were showing some of the major businesses that won't be staying open tomorrow so their employees can have a day off with family, and I found myself nodding in agreement and feeling all warm and fuzzy about those businesses. Which tells me that deep down I think folks should be able to be home on Thanksgiving if they want to. Just some of the big stores that have chosen to close this year:

Sams Club
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-a
Dillards
Home Depot
Costco
Ace Hardware
Barnes & Noble
Patagonia
Crate and Barrel
Neiman Marcus
GameStop
Nordstrom
Bed Bath & Beyond
Burlington Coat Factory
REI

And I think if these stores receive favorable publicity for this choice, it will set a new trend. And Esmeralda might not have to work on Thanksgiving.
Thanks for the thoughts, but I meant I'm not in the US: there is no Thanksgiving here: it's an American holiday. I could have taken a personal leave day, but today is a day where there are important quarterly meetings from which I cannot be excused.

Sweetie, Thanksgiving isn't until tomorrow. :)

Sams Club
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-a
Dillards
Home Depot
Costco
Ace Hardware
Barnes & Noble
Patagonia
Crate and Barrel
Neiman Marcus
GameStop
Nordstrom
Bed Bath & Beyond
Burlington Coat Factory
REI

Thanks for the thoughts, but I meant I'm not in the US: there is no Thanksgiving here: it's an American holiday. I could have taken a personal leave day, but today is a day where there are important quarterly meetings from which I cannot be excused.

Okay, but it is the same situation. I haven't lived in the States in 11.5 years and do not celebrate Thanksgiving, so I guess I got mixed up on the date. Tomorrow, Thursday, it's the same issue. Cannot take a leave day off work; it would not be allowed. It's just one of those days where my being there is essential.

t5.jpg

Sams Club
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-a
Dillards
Home Depot
Costco
Ace Hardware
Barnes & Noble
Patagonia
Crate and Barrel
Neiman Marcus
GameStop
Nordstrom
Bed Bath & Beyond
Burlington Coat Factory
REI

Okay, but it is the same situation. I haven't lived in the States in 11.5 years and do not celebrate Thanksgiving, so I guess I got mixed up on the date. Tomorrow, Thursday, it's the same issue. Cannot take a leave day off work; it would not be allowed.

I'm working tomorrow too. I don't get holidays off unless I request for it 30-45 days in advance. I usually just work on Thanksgiving and take Christmas day off.

I'm just having my Thanksgiving dinner at around 6:00 p.m. is all.

Sams Club
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-a
Dillards
Home Depot
Costco
Ace Hardware
Barnes & Noble
Patagonia
Crate and Barrel
Neiman Marcus
GameStop
Nordstrom
Bed Bath & Beyond
Burlington Coat Factory
REI

Okay, but it is the same situation. I haven't lived in the States in 11.5 years and do not celebrate Thanksgiving, so I guess I got mixed up on the date. Tomorrow, Thursday, it's the same issue. Cannot take a leave day off work; it would not be allowed.

I'm working tomorrow too. I don't get holidays off unless I request for it 30-45 days in advance. I usually just work on Thanksgiving and take Christmas day off.

If one is sentimental about family and holidays, it can be tough. If you don't mind, it's a good way to earn some overtime. I just get my regular salary, of course, but if you are in the States, you should get double time or something.

Sams Club
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-a
Dillards
Home Depot
Costco
Ace Hardware
Barnes & Noble
Patagonia
Crate and Barrel
Neiman Marcus
GameStop
Nordstrom
Bed Bath & Beyond
Burlington Coat Factory
REI

If one is sentimental about family and holidays, it can be tough. If you don't mind, it's a good way to earn some overtime. I just get my regular salary, of course, but if you are in the States, you should get double time or something.

I'm considered a subcontractor of sorts, so I never get paid OT. I only get straight time no matter what, which kind of sucks. I'm a medical transcriptionist and instead of getting paid on a salary-type basis, I get paid by lines typed, so my job is a little different than a lot of peoples' jobs. :) If I had decided to take Thanksgiving day off, I could use "paid time off" (which I earn by working (say 15 minutes of PTO time for an hour of work, just as an example), to get paid for the holiday.

Sams Club
Hobby Lobby
Chik-fil-a
Dillards
Home Depot
Costco
Ace Hardware
Barnes & Noble
Patagonia
Crate and Barrel
Neiman Marcus
GameStop
Nordstrom
Bed Bath & Beyond
Burlington Coat Factory
REI

Thanks for the thoughts, but I meant I'm not in the US. There is no Thanksgiving here: it's an American holiday. I could have taken a personal leave day, but today is a day where there are important quarterly meetings from which I cannot be excused.

Ah, I didn't know. Are you a citizen of another country? American assigned someplace out of the country? We have Coffee Shop members from the UK, Canada, Mexico, other parts of Europe, Australia, and I think there was a Philippino and a Korean in there somewhere over the years.

Last edited:
I cheat with my soups, I use the canned soups as a base. Take "potato" soup;

1 large can cream of potato soup
1 large can cream of broccoli soup
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
1 or 2 small bags of frozen broccoli (depending on taste)
2 cups diced potatoes (the frozen hash browns work great)
1/4 small onion, diced
2 cups diced cooked ham or chicken
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
Mix everything together except the shredded cheese, cook on med low for two hours stirring frequently, add shredded cheddar cheese in the last 5 minutes of cooking and blend well.
Halve the recipe for smaller amounts. Leftovers can be stored in containers for up to one week.

I have a simpler one that we enjoy a lot for a quick hearty hot supper. I call it 1 x 4 soup:

1 lb hamburger well browned, drained, seasoned to taste with salt & pepper
add 1 can minestrone soup
add 1 can pinto beans
add 1 can rotel tomatoes (we use the one with green chile)
stir together and heat
serve with crackers or cornbread

serves two or three with generous portions
just double for a bigger group (but then you call it 2 x 4 soup)

We haven't found anybody yet who doesn't like this and we feed some very picky people

The only ingredient I like is the hamburger. I don't eat minestrone, any beans but green beans, and almost always avoid tomato. Hell, I don't even like cornbread. :lol:

I hate beans except green beans too! I even leave them out of my chili and substitute red peppers instead. :D If I have chili with beans, there is a big pile of beans at the bottom of my bowl when I'm done.

LOL, I don't eat chili, either. ;)

I'm considered a subcontractor of sorts, so I never get paid OT. I only get straight time no matter what, which kind of sucks. I'm a medical transcriptionist and instead of getting paid on a salary-type basis, I get paid by lines typed, so my job is a little different than a lot of peoples' jobs. :) If I had decided to take Thanksgiving day off, I could use "paid time off" (which I earn by working (say 15 minutes of PTO time for an hour of work, just as an example), to get paid for the holiday.

I did data entry from home for 9+ years. It was the same for me; technically I was a sub-contractor, self-employed and paid by how much work I did, not by time worked. But it was work I did at home, so it was still nice. :)

We just got about an inch and a half of snow a couple of hours ago. Its all melting away now. Finally, some normal Missouri weather!

Hey Esmie! Good to see you here!

When I had my stores (two separate ones at different times), I was always open on turkey day. And when I was managing stores (gift/tourist shops down on the waterfront), I always sent the employees home if they wanted to go on turkey day. I stayed cuz that is the BEST day ever for us. Folks are full, want to walk off the food, nothing is open to take their money. Except me. :D

Forum List

Back