USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ssooooo, how nerdy can one get? We're having a discussion on the muzzelloading forum concerning what "corn" flour was in the American colonies........ :lol:
Oh and it isn't flour made from Maize.........

Around here corn flour is called masa or masa harina. And you have to know your masa to know whether you're buying the right kind of flour to make tortillas or to make tamales--you can't use the same flour for both and get the best results. This was certainly known to the Indians of Mexico and was uultimately adopted by Indians of the Southwest and the Spaniards in the 16th century but I doubt this particular cuisine was found in the east. The earliest corn flour I remember from the history books was "Indian meal" or just plain corn meal that hasn't changed a whole lot over the centuries. But there are cornbread recipes dating back to the earliest colonial settlers.
Corn to the Europeans and American Colonists was grain, specifically wheat, rye, barley and oats. Maize or Indian corn was always designated as maize or Indian corn, we didn't drop the Indian designation until after the War of 1812.
Americans, Canadians and Australians are the only ones who call Indian corn simply corn almost everyone else knows it as maize.
Corn was defined as any grain coming from an ear, wheat ears, rye ears, barley ears, oat ears maize ears and was generally referring to any local grain crop. In England wheat was corn, in Scotland oats were corn because those were the staple grains for each region. Flours back then were different also, what we know of as pastry flour was called English flour because it was so refined.
When I lived in Germany, corn (as Americans define it) was considered feed for livestock and not for human consumption. I got a laugh when a couple I knew gleaned a few ears from a corn field and were shocked how tough and unpalatable it was. There is a difference between the sweet corn we put on the table and feed corn for animals.

In the South most people ate/eat corn-on-the-cob, called field corn. It was the best tasting. The same corn that was fed to the animals. Also there is a dish call fried corn. That is accomplished by using many ears of corn, holding each one up vertically and with the sharpest knife one has in the drawer, pressing it against the cob itself, slicing down to the bottom, while letting the corn fall into a bowl, until it is full. Adding butter and ( forget what else ) and it all came to to nice thick consistency, over a medium burner on the stove. My family served plates of that with sliced tomatoes from the garden. I remember it as being one of the best dishes ever, Fried chicken usually accompanied it and mashed potatoes. :thup:

To this day, I don't care too much for corn-on-the- cob because as you said, it is sweet. I have to cut the sweet taste with too much butter and salt. Then it is delicious.The only food I like that is sweet, is called dessert. :lol:

Ssooooo, how nerdy can one get? We're having a discussion on the muzzelloading forum concerning what "corn" flour was in the American colonies........ :lol:
Oh and it isn't flour made from Maize.........

Around here corn flour is called masa or masa harina. And you have to know your masa to know whether you're buying the right kind of flour to make tortillas or to make tamales--you can't use the same flour for both and get the best results. This was certainly known to the Indians of Mexico and was uultimately adopted by Indians of the Southwest and the Spaniards in the 16th century but I doubt this particular cuisine was found in the east. The earliest corn flour I remember from the history books was "Indian meal" or just plain corn meal that hasn't changed a whole lot over the centuries. But there are cornbread recipes dating back to the earliest colonial settlers.
Corn to the Europeans and American Colonists was grain, specifically wheat, rye, barley and oats. Maize or Indian corn was always designated as maize or Indian corn, we didn't drop the Indian designation until after the War of 1812.
Americans, Canadians and Australians are the only ones who call Indian corn simply corn almost everyone else knows it as maize.
Corn was defined as any grain coming from an ear, wheat ears, rye ears, barley ears, oat ears maize ears and was generally referring to any local grain crop. In England wheat was corn, in Scotland oats were corn because those were the staple grains for each region. Flours back then were different also, what we know of as pastry flour was called English flour because it was so refined.
When I lived in Germany, corn (as Americans define it) was considered feed for livestock and not for human consumption. I got a laugh when a couple I knew gleaned a few ears from a corn field and were shocked how tough and unpalatable it was. There is a difference between the sweet corn we put on the table and feed corn for animals.

In the South most people ate/eat corn-on-the-cob, called field corn. It was the best tasting. The same corn that was fed to the animals. Also there is a dish call fried corn. That is accomplished by using many ears of corn, holding each one up vertically and with the sharpest knife one has in the drawer, pressing it against the cob itself, slicing down to the bottom, while letting the corn fall into a bowl, until it is full. Adding butter and ( forget what else ) and it all came to to nice thick consistency, over a medium burner on the stove. My family served plates of that with sliced tomatoes from the garden. I remember it as being one of the best dishes ever, Fried chicken usually accompanied it and mashed potatoes. :thup:

To this day, I don't care too much for corn-on-the- cob because as you said, it is sweet. I have to cut the sweet taste with too much butter and salt. Then it is delicious.The only food I like that is sweet, is called dessert. :lol:

I use the same technique, but I usually just put the corn on my grill. :) That is the BEST way to eat corn! And add it to your cornbread!

Last night, about 1:30, I went to check on the little one before I went to bed. I kissed her face, not just for the sake of kissing but because my hands tend to be cold and it's hard for me to check if she feels hot with my hands. Well, that woke her up. :( She sat up in bed, burped a little and laughed about it, and told me she felt find (although she had felt warm with the kiss). Within a short amount of time, though, her face scrunched up and she said her belly hurt. She used the bathroom and I took her temperature : 101.8. Off I went to get some more acetaminophen and cup of water for her.

I figured she would be staying home again today. However, when I got her up at 6:45 this morning, she felt fine. I took her temp and it was 97.4. She felt good while she ate breakfast and got ready for school, so off she went. Considering they haven't called to say she needs to go home, I'm going to assume that means the fever really broke this time and she's fine now. She and her mommy are supposed to be going camping in a few days so I hope she really is over this sickness!

hilarious+funny+quotes.jpg

:lol: I'm on the air diet

Halfway through lunch hour and it is still solid overcast here--yup MSN says we're clear and sunny--but the precip seems to have stopped. All the snow has melted as temps are in the mid 30's across the city. Almost all of the weather advisories are not expired are were cancelled.

I don't know if it is blessing or curse that we high desert dwellers almost all look out at cloudy skies and wet walks and streets and it makes us happy. :)

I'm not sure why, but my cousin just posted this--he's an Anthropology and Archeology professor--and it tickled me. And I suppose I concur as I am very careful what I post on Facebook or any social media on the theory that just giving my 'permitted' friends permission to see it pretty much makes it available to the world:

10915347_1544794375768482_7108189270302833551_n.jpg

Looks like something may have come out of the interview in Santa Fe. The company is nationwide and while the wife was waaaaay overqualified for the position she applied for they have other positions at the Project Manager level. The interviewer passed her name and resume over and she got a call from the regional muckity-muck in Tampa Florida....... They are looking for her to fill one of two jobs sooooooo we may be moving to the Tampa, St Pete area. :dunno:

Looks like something may have come out of the interview in Santa Fe. The company is nationwide and while the wife was waaaaay overqualified for the position she applied for they have other positions at the Project Manager level. The interviewer passed her name and resume over and she got a call from the regional muckity-muck in Tampa Florida....... They are looking for her to fill one of two jobs sooooooo we may be moving to the Tampa, St Pete area. :dunno:

Wow. Exciting stuff. So you would be close to Sherry and WQ and not Foxfyre. But at least with the internet, all of us scattered all over the country and all over the world are all in the same room. :)

We got a few flurries here today but nothing to speak of. They were barely even flurries, more like a few flakes. Quite cold though. :D I did grill a steak on the grill last night in spite of the cold!

Wow. Exciting stuff. So you would be close to Sherry and WQ and not Foxfyre. But at least with the internet, all of us scattered all over the country and all over the world are all in the same room. :)
Checking the house prices in the area, scads of foreclosures and auctions not to mention lots of homes all around the area for under $50k.
I lived in Florida in 69 for a year while my dad was deployed to Nam, well one of his deployments, so I know what to expect. Gators, mocs, hot and muggy....... not to mention the possibility of sink holes....... and hurricanes.....
Lived through a few of those as well as around seven typhoons in the Pacific.

Checking the house prices in the area, scads of foreclosures and auctions not to mention lots of homes all around the area for under $50k.
I lived in Florida in 69 for a year while my dad was deployed to Nam, well one of his deployments, so I know what to expect. Gators, mocs, hot and muggy....... not to mention the possibility of sink holes....... and hurricanes.....

Hurricanes aren't really an issue in Tampa. I think there has been one that was actually classified as a hurricane and not tropical storm or less in the past 70 years or so.

In over 20 years I was never around a sink hole.

I may have seen 2 gators outside of controlled environments in my time there.

Hot and muggy.......yep, that's just about year round. :lol:

Hurricanes aren't really an issue in Tampa. I think there has been one that was actually classified as a hurricane and not tropical storm or less in the past 70 years or so.

The only reason why I wouldn't want to move to a warm weather climate is because of the size of the bugs! Especially the spiders. Most around here are relatively small, and I'm still afraid of them. :lol: I have an arachnophobia.

Big giant spiders! :biggrin:

We had bamboo spiders in Taiwan as big as your hand and poisonous, Habus (known as six steps, you're dead in six steps), Pit Vipers, Bamboo Vipers, rats as big as cats and cockroaches we'd hunt with .22s........

Green Cove Springs, right on the St Johns about 30 miles south of Jacksonville. Couldn't tell ya how many mocs I killed and how many close call encounters with gators I choose to forget.

The only reason why I wouldn't want to move to a warm weather climate is because of the size of the bugs! Especially the spiders. Most around here are relatively small, and I'm still afraid of them. :lol: I have an arachnophobia.

We didn't have huge spiders in Tampa. Nothing bigger than what I have here in GA, anyway. Tampa is very suburban, it's not like living in the swamp. :p

There were plenty of roaches, though! :mad:

We had bamboo spiders in Taiwan as big as your hand and poisonous, Habus (known as six steps, you're dead in six steps), Pit Vipers, Bamboo Vipers, rats as big as cats and cockroaches we'd hunt with .22s........

I don't really mind snakes or rats. Of course, I would avoid them. Lol. Mostly insects and spiders bother me. I find them to be very disgusting small, never mind when they're enormous. :ack-1:

Forum List

Back