USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ssooooo, how nerdy can one get? We're having a discussion on the muzzelloading forum concerning what "corn" flour was in the American colonies........ :lol:
Oh and it isn't flour made from Maize.........

Around here corn flour is called masa or masa harina. And you have to know your masa to know whether you're buying the right kind of flour to make tortillas or to make tamales--you can't use the same flour for both and get the best results. This was certainly known to the Indians of Mexico and was uultimately adopted by Indians of the Southwest and the Spaniards in the 16th century but I doubt this particular cuisine was found in the east. The earliest corn flour I remember from the history books was "Indian meal" or just plain corn meal that hasn't changed a whole lot over the centuries. But there are cornbread recipes dating back to the earliest colonial settlers.
Corn to the Europeans and American Colonists was grain, specifically wheat, rye, barley and oats. Maize or Indian corn was always designated as maize or Indian corn, we didn't drop the Indian designation until after the War of 1812.
Americans, Canadians and Australians are the only ones who call Indian corn simply corn almost everyone else knows it as maize.
Corn was defined as any grain coming from an ear, wheat ears, rye ears, barley ears, oat ears maize ears and was generally referring to any local grain crop. In England wheat was corn, in Scotland oats were corn because those were the staple grains for each region. Flours back then were different also, what we know of as pastry flour was called English flour because it was so refined.
When I lived in Germany, corn (as Americans define it) was considered feed for livestock and not for human consumption. I got a laugh when a couple I knew gleaned a few ears from a corn field and were shocked how tough and unpalatable it was. There is a difference between the sweet corn we put on the table and feed corn for animals.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Morning everybody !

funny-animals-139.jpg
Gypsy Vanners! I have longed for one since I discovered the magnificent creatures!

I have a ton on my plate now that I'm moving to austin TX in 6 months. Moving my business. I'll need loads of coffee and will need the best coffee of all time. Also need best coffee maker. Any advice would help.

We just buy plain old Mr. Coffee makers with an automatic turn off thing because otherwise we forget to turn it off until we smell the coffee burning in the bottom of the pot. They don't last all that long and when they start getting slow and quirky we just replace them because they're fairly cheap.

The best coffee, in my opinion, is percolated instead of drip, but intellectually, it would seem that there shouldn't be any difference.

Where are you now J.R.? Moving a business is a pretty big deal, but Austin is an interesting area. You are required to become a Longhorn fan, of course, if you are not already.
I live in ohio. I chose Austin TX because it's the number 1 economic city in the usa. By Forbes. Yes it's a huge deal. Took me a year to decide. Im a baseball fan and packers fan. Lol. Sorry dude. Hey thank for advice. :)
Ahem! Gentle reminder...Foxy is a MRS. Dude...

Good morning folks, I hope everyone is having a lovely day thus far. I am on the fence about going on my run today because it is cold and my foot hurts. lol

Best not to run on a sore foot I think.

And Hazelnut? I know a lot of folks fancy it, but I just have never \been able to develop an appreciation for it.

You're right. Sadly, I don't believe I'll be running today.

The Hazelnut is very subtle and I only drink it when I bore of the regular. Do you put any cream or sugar in coffee? I am a huge fan of black coffee. I have coffee in the morning but at noon and after dinner I usually put a kettle of tea on the stove. I have my great-grandmother's tea kettle so every time I make it I think of my granny.

I like my coffee strong so yes, do use a splash of Half&half or cream to cut the acid a bit. I can drink it black but enjoy it more with a bit of cream.
A pinch of salt in the grounds before brewing will cut a lot of acid.

Well, the little one was running a fever last night. It was down to 99.6 at bedtime, but I still gave her some ibuprofen. This morning she got up and was still feverish. I get out the thermometer again and she was up to 102.6. :ack-1:

She got some more ibuprofen and some acetaminophen and went back to bed with her mommy. She woke up about an hour ago and thankfully, the fever seems to be gone. So, a bad night and a day off of school is about how it's worked out for her. The first thing she said to me was 'can we go ride bikes?'. It's chilly and wet outside, I don't want her to get sick again! :banghead:
Two things to help with a fever: piles of blankets or a cool-water bath. One sweats it out, the other cools.

The little one's fever is back. :(

She's been lazing around in bed all day because I wouldn't let her play outside. Apparently keeping her inside didn't help as she just showed a 101.3 degree temp. So, she's watching TV with mommy, she's had another shot of ibuprofen kids medicine, and we're hoping she'll get better before school tomorrow.

Hope she gets to feeling better soon Montro. But sometimes it is best to miss a day or two of school rather than aggravate a bug or spreading it around.

Ssooooo, how nerdy can one get? We're having a discussion on the muzzelloading forum concerning what "corn" flour was in the American colonies........ :lol:

Around here corn flour is called masa or masa harina. And you have to know your masa to know whether you're buying the right kind of flour to make tortillas or to make tamales--you can't use the same flour for both and get the best results. This was certainly known to the Indians of Mexico and was uultimately adopted by Indians of the Southwest and the Spaniards in the 16th century but I doubt this particular cuisine was found in the east. The earliest corn flour I remember from the history books was "Indian meal" or just plain corn meal that hasn't changed a whole lot over the centuries. But there are cornbread recipes dating back to the earliest colonial settlers.
Corn to the Europeans and American Colonists was grain, specifically wheat, rye, barley and oats. Maize or Indian corn was always designated as maize or Indian corn, we didn't drop the Indian designation until after the War of 1812.
Americans, Canadians and Australians are the only ones who call Indian corn simply corn almost everyone else knows it as maize.
Corn was defined as any grain coming from an ear, wheat ears, rye ears, barley ears, oat ears maize ears and was generally referring to any local grain crop. In England wheat was corn, in Scotland oats were corn because those were the staple grains for each region. Flours back then were different also, what we know of as pastry flour was called English flour because it was so refined.
When I lived in Germany, corn (as Americans define it) was considered feed for livestock and not for human consumption. I got a laugh when a couple I knew gleaned a few ears from a corn field and were shocked how tough and unpalatable it was. There is a difference between the sweet corn we put on the table and feed corn for animals.
Farmers here in the states grow their feed corn around the parameter and the sweet corn in the middle because most people will not go into the center of the huge field after the good corn and most people haven't a clue there's any difference.

I have a ton on my plate now that I'm moving to austin TX in 6 months. Moving my business. I'll need loads of coffee and will need the best coffee of all time. Also need best coffee maker. Any advice would help.
The best coffee maker is without a doubt, a French press, unless you prefer espresso, then one of these is the answer:

Farmers here in the states grow their feed corn around the parameter and the sweet corn in the middle because most people will not go into the center of the huge field after the good corn and most people haven't a clue there's any difference.
Not surprising. I've met way too many people who thought chicken and beef originated in Styrofoam containers in the supermarket. Seriously.

Not surprising. I've met way too many people who thought chicken and beef originated in Styrofoam containers in the supermarket. Seriously.
It's like the father trying to teach his 5 year old daughter, asks her where milk comes from, she points at the refrigerator. He responds by telling her "no it comes from cows", she adamantly shakes her head and says "uh, uh, it comes from the figerater"....... :lol:

Speaking of children sometimes I wish we would have had some, that way when they came of age I could engage them in legal domestic child labor....... Do the dishes, take out the trash, vacuum, dust, sweep, shovel snow......... :D

We just buy plain old Mr. Coffee makers with an automatic turn off thing because otherwise we forget to turn it off until we smell the coffee burning in the bottom of the pot. They don't last all that long and when they start getting slow and quirky we just replace them because they're fairly cheap.

The best coffee, in my opinion, is percolated instead of drip, but intellectually, it would seem that there shouldn't be any difference.

Where are you now J.R.? Moving a business is a pretty big deal, but Austin is an interesting area. You are required to become a Longhorn fan, of course, if you are not already.
I live in ohio. I chose Austin TX because it's the number 1 economic city in the usa. By Forbes. Yes it's a huge deal. Took me a year to decide. Im a baseball fan and packers fan. Lol. Sorry dude. Hey thank for advice. :)

Boy that's weird.

The little one's fever is back. :(

She's been lazing around in bed all day because I wouldn't let her play outside. Apparently keeping her inside didn't help as she just showed a 101.3 degree temp. So, she's watching TV with mommy, she's had another shot of ibuprofen kids medicine, and we're hoping she'll get better before school tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that. Hope she's better soon. :)

Boy that's weird.

No really. I've been a Mrs. Dude all of my life. However, that doesn't mean I'm not weird. :)

First hand of bridge last night. Bid double three diamonds. Made it down three not vulernable.

Last hand five spades, made it with honors.

:)

Woke up to two+ inches of snow I have to brush/shovel, perform the morning SSS then off to physical therapy though I don't know what good it's gonna do.

Good morning everybody. Solid overcast and snowing in Albuquerque this morning, but with temps hovering around freezing and supposed to slowly rise today, it isn't really sticking. And then for the next several days temps will be in high 40's and low 50's so that may be winter for us as we know it.

And after all that discussion of coffee makers yesterday, ours quit this morning. :( (Fortunately we had held an old coffee maker that still works in reserve so we're having coffee this morning.)

Woke up to two+ inches of snow I have to brush/shovel, perform the morning SSS then off to physical therapy though I don't know what good it's gonna do.

One of our close friends (mid 50's) was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in her back. She is a M.D. and absolutely does not want surgery but is getting physical therapy and she says it is helping.

Forum List

Back