USMB Coffee Shop IV

Looks like something may have come out of the interview in Santa Fe. The company is nationwide and while the wife was waaaaay overqualified for the position she applied for they have other positions at the Project Manager level. The interviewer passed her name and resume over and she got a call from the regional muckity-muck in Tampa Florida....... They are looking for her to fill one of two jobs sooooooo we may be moving to the Tampa, St Pete area. :dunno:

Wow. Exciting stuff. So you would be close to Sherry and WQ and not Foxfyre. But at least with the internet, all of us scattered all over the country and all over the world are all in the same room. :)
Checking the house prices in the area, scads of foreclosures and auctions not to mention lots of homes all around the area for under $50k.
I lived in Florida in 69 for a year while my dad was deployed to Nam, well one of his deployments, so I know what to expect. Gators, mocs, hot and muggy....... not to mention the possibility of sink holes....... and hurricanes.....
Lived through a few of those as well as around seven typhoons in the Pacific.

Hurricanes aren't really an issue in Tampa. I think there has been one that was actually classified as a hurricane and not tropical storm or less in the past 70 years or so.

In over 20 years I was never around a sink hole.

I may have seen 2 gators outside of controlled environments in my time there.

Hot and muggy.......yep, that's just about year round. :lol:

The only reason why I wouldn't want to move to a warm weather climate is because of the size of the bugs! Especially the spiders. Most around here are relatively small, and I'm still afraid of them. :lol: I have an arachnophobia.

We didn't have huge spiders in Tampa. Nothing bigger than what I have here in GA, anyway. Tampa is very suburban, it's not like living in the swamp. :p

There were plenty of roaches, though! :mad:

Well, you probably get big ones in Georgia too, at least bigger ones than here in Massachusetts! :D I think it gets too cold here for them to get real big. I have seen the occasional big spider, but they aren't really the norm. You don't see very many big ones around here.

Looks like something may have come out of the interview in Santa Fe. The company is nationwide and while the wife was waaaaay overqualified for the position she applied for they have other positions at the Project Manager level. The interviewer passed her name and resume over and she got a call from the regional muckity-muck in Tampa Florida....... They are looking for her to fill one of two jobs sooooooo we may be moving to the Tampa, St Pete area. :dunno:

Wow. Exciting stuff. So you would be close to Sherry and WQ and not Foxfyre. But at least with the internet, all of us scattered all over the country and all over the world are all in the same room. :)
Checking the house prices in the area, scads of foreclosures and auctions not to mention lots of homes all around the area for under $50k.
I lived in Florida in 69 for a year while my dad was deployed to Nam, well one of his deployments, so I know what to expect. Gators, mocs, hot and muggy....... not to mention the possibility of sink holes....... and hurricanes.....
Lived through a few of those as well as around seven typhoons in the Pacific.

Hurricanes aren't really an issue in Tampa. I think there has been one that was actually classified as a hurricane and not tropical storm or less in the past 70 years or so.

In over 20 years I was never around a sink hole.

I may have seen 2 gators outside of controlled environments in my time there.

Hot and muggy.......yep, that's just about year round. :lol:

The only reason why I wouldn't want to move to a warm weather climate is because of the size of the bugs! Especially the spiders. Most around here are relatively small, and I'm still afraid of them. :lol: I have an arachnophobia.

We didn't have huge spiders in Tampa. Nothing bigger than what I have here in GA, anyway. Tampa is very suburban, it's not like living in the swamp. :p

There were plenty of roaches, though! :mad:

Yeah, the roaches would probably bother me too. Insects, especially swarms of them . . . :cheeky-smiley-018:

Then you would really not like Southern Arizona ChrisL
We have tarantulas. :)

Especially when you have a mass tarantula migration with hundreds/thousands of them moving from one place to another. It is awesome to watch. And it always amazes me how many people will swerve on the highway to avoid hitting a spider.

I would not like that at all. :lol: I would be doing a lot of screaming and running away. You can't suck up a tarantula in the vacuum!

I won't even click on play. :D I used to have a friend who had a pet tarantula. I could never understand why.

Because they are good spiders they eat a lot of bad things and they don't bite if you are not aggressive with them. :)

I would not like that at all. :lol: I would be doing a lot of screaming and running away. You can't suck up a tarantula in the vacuum!

I won't even click on play. :D I used to have a friend who had a pet tarantula. I could never understand why.

Because they are good spiders they eat a lot of bad things and they don't bite if you are not aggressive with them. :)

They freak me out way too much to ever have one for a pet. :lol:

Especially when you have a mass tarantula migration with hundreds/thousands of them moving from one place to another. It is awesome to watch. And it always amazes me how many people will swerve on the highway to avoid hitting a spider.

:ack-1: That sounds like something out of a horror movie! Thousands of them???

Yes, though the cycles can be boom or bust depending on moisture, food supply, etc., in the 'boom' years, it can be thousands. It begins mid to late September through October up to the first hard freeze. And it is just the boy tarantulas who march. The ladies just wait in their burrow for a suitor to come knocking. If he doesn't suit her, she kills and eats him and waits for somebody else. Actually she might kill and eat the one she does like too, but. . .you know. . .after. . . .

Yes, though the cycles can be boom or bust depending on moisture, food supply, etc., in the 'boom' years, it can be thousands. It begins mid to late September through October up to the first hard freeze. And it is just the boy tarantulas who march. The ladies just wait in their burrow for a suitor to come knocking. If he doesn't suit her, she kills and eats him and waits for somebody else. Actually she might kill and eat the one she does like too, but. . .you know. . .after. . . .

That really sounds creepy! The ground must look like a hairy moving carpet. This makes me much more grateful for the small ones around here though! :D

Probably at least half of the elementary classrooms in the schools around here have a pet tarantula (caged of course) somewhere in the room. It is a real honor for the kids who get to take "Charlotte" (or whomever) home for the spring or winter break or for the summer. Unless the teacher wants the job.

Last edited:

That really sounds creepy! The ground must look like a hairy moving carpet. This makes me much more grateful for the small ones around here though! :D

They aren't really all that bunched up so you can see quite a bit of ground between them--those cars who swerve to miss them on the road usually do miss them, but not always of course. The tarantula is a loner so they would probably fight if they got too close to each other, but they definitely do move as a group. I have pulled over to watch a bunch of them cross the highway and it would take some time. Really interesting.

My folks lived in western Arizona for years. Lots of near translucent scorpions all over the place. And yeah....if they sting you it hurts like a mofo. :D

:eek:

My folks lived in western Arizona for years. Lots of near translucent scorpions all over the place. And yeah....if they sting you it hurts like a mofo. :D

Unless somebody is really allergic, a scorpion sting is worse than a tarantula bite. I've never been bitten by one--I HAVE held them in my hands--but they tell me a tarantula bite for the vast majority of people feels like and is no worse than a bee sting. Some tarantulas hair is toxic to people though and might feel worse than a bite. It's best not to pet your pet tarantula--she won't enjoy it and you probably won't either.

FYI, as much as I like Jessica Alba's butt, it is not appropriate ion USMB ads or viewing material for work, so I'll be scaling back my posting until they leave.

I shouldn't have to block sexist ads on USMB Sherry. Someone said Adblock wasn't effective on the new ads.

Forum List

Back