USMB Coffee Shop IV

FYI, as much as I like Jessica Alba's butt, it is not appropriate ion USMB ads or viewing material for work, so I'll be scaling back my posting until they leave.

Can't you install Adblock Plus?? I have never seen one ad on USMB.:thup:
Don't know if they make Adblock Plus for IE.

I have both installed, but always use Firefox.

I have no problem either, and I use Firefox and adblock as well.

Been reading over the posts... I don't like spiders and snakes. Spiders get whacked with a rolled up newspaper and snakes get whacked with the garden hoe. Not very many snakes around on my farm but from time to time I see one. Spiders though are here and there... These two critters were put on Earth by God so folks would have something to whack.

Been reading over the posts... I don't like spiders and snakes. Spiders get whacked with a rolled up newspaper and snakes get whacked with the garden hoe. Not very many snakes around on my farm but from time to time I see one. Spiders though are here and there... These two critters were put on Earth by God so folks would have something to whack.

Yes, they made AdBlock Plus for IE but I can't find how to load it. What the do offer is the EasyList portion of Adblock Plus on the IE add-ons site.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Sheila and Hombre's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
GW's daughter's friend Sachenda,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max and Mrs. Ernie,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Foxfyre's Aunt Betty,
The BBDs and Jingles,
Gracie's Moki,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

nature-landscapes_widewallpaper_winter-light_16627.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Well, it's Thursday morning! Coffee this morning has been nothing short of excellent. Mrs. BBD has just left to go over to the neighbor's house to quilt all day with her. All of the indoor dogs and cats are in a semi-coma. Nothing good on tv. Think I'm going to head over to my buddy's vet clinic and drink some of his coffee and see what he's up too. Might stop by the bank to get a little pocket money too. Quiet, boring day on tap here. Just the kind of day that a person should drink lots of coffee to make it all better.

Was up a 7:30 still finishing off the pot of coffee. The wife wanted to go for a drive today but she's still sound asleep and didn't want to get up. Gizmo stayed in the house all night, woke me up twice wanting to go out, let her out when I got up. She hangs around the back door for 5 minutes trying to decide if she really wants to be out or come back in...... Open the door for her and she just sits in the doorway purring and trilling neither out nor in.
At least the "kids" are getting used to her, Boo is no longer hiding and was even playing with her.

Around here corn flour is called masa or masa harina. And you have to know your masa to know whether you're buying the right kind of flour to make tortillas or to make tamales--you can't use the same flour for both and get the best results. This was certainly known to the Indians of Mexico and was uultimately adopted by Indians of the Southwest and the Spaniards in the 16th century but I doubt this particular cuisine was found in the east. The earliest corn flour I remember from the history books was "Indian meal" or just plain corn meal that hasn't changed a whole lot over the centuries. But there are cornbread recipes dating back to the earliest colonial settlers.
Corn to the Europeans and American Colonists was grain, specifically wheat, rye, barley and oats. Maize or Indian corn was always designated as maize or Indian corn, we didn't drop the Indian designation until after the War of 1812.
Americans, Canadians and Australians are the only ones who call Indian corn simply corn almost everyone else knows it as maize.
Corn was defined as any grain coming from an ear, wheat ears, rye ears, barley ears, oat ears maize ears and was generally referring to any local grain crop. In England wheat was corn, in Scotland oats were corn because those were the staple grains for each region. Flours back then were different also, what we know of as pastry flour was called English flour because it was so refined.
When I lived in Germany, corn (as Americans define it) was considered feed for livestock and not for human consumption. I got a laugh when a couple I knew gleaned a few ears from a corn field and were shocked how tough and unpalatable it was. There is a difference between the sweet corn we put on the table and feed corn for animals.
Farmers here in the states grow their feed corn around the parameter and the sweet corn in the middle because most people will not go into the center of the huge field after the good corn and most people haven't a clue there's any difference.
Not surprising. I've met way too many people who thought chicken and beef originated in Styrofoam containers in the supermarket. Seriously.
It's like the father trying to teach his 5 year old daughter, asks her where milk comes from, she points at the refrigerator. He responds by telling her "no it comes from cows", she adamantly shakes her head and says "uh, uh, it comes from the figerater"....... :lol:

Speaking of children sometimes I wish we would have had some, that way when they came of age I could engage them in legal domestic child labor....... Do the dishes, take out the trash, vacuum, dust, sweep, shovel snow......... :D
Around here corn flour is called masa or masa harina. And you have to know your masa to know whether you're buying the right kind of flour to make tortillas or to make tamales--you can't use the same flour for both and get the best results. This was certainly known to the Indians of Mexico and was uultimately adopted by Indians of the Southwest and the Spaniards in the 16th century but I doubt this particular cuisine was found in the east. The earliest corn flour I remember from the history books was "Indian meal" or just plain corn meal that hasn't changed a whole lot over the centuries. But there are cornbread recipes dating back to the earliest colonial settlers.
Corn to the Europeans and American Colonists was grain, specifically wheat, rye, barley and oats. Maize or Indian corn was always designated as maize or Indian corn, we didn't drop the Indian designation until after the War of 1812.
Americans, Canadians and Australians are the only ones who call Indian corn simply corn almost everyone else knows it as maize.
Corn was defined as any grain coming from an ear, wheat ears, rye ears, barley ears, oat ears maize ears and was generally referring to any local grain crop. In England wheat was corn, in Scotland oats were corn because those were the staple grains for each region. Flours back then were different also, what we know of as pastry flour was called English flour because it was so refined.
When I lived in Germany, corn (as Americans define it) was considered feed for livestock and not for human consumption. I got a laugh when a couple I knew gleaned a few ears from a corn field and were shocked how tough and unpalatable it was. There is a difference between the sweet corn we put on the table and feed corn for animals.
Farmers here in the states grow their feed corn around the parameter and the sweet corn in the middle because most people will not go into the center of the huge field after the good corn and most people haven't a clue there's any difference.
Not surprising. I've met way too many people who thought chicken and beef originated in Styrofoam containers in the supermarket. Seriously.
It's like the father trying to teach his 5 year old daughter, asks her where milk comes from, she points at the refrigerator. He responds by telling her "no it comes from cows", she adamantly shakes her head and says "uh, uh, it comes from the figerater"....... :lol:

Speaking of children sometimes I wish we would have had some, that way when they came of age I could engage them in legal domestic child labor....... Do the dishes, take out the trash, vacuum, dust, sweep, shovel snow......... :D
There really is no other reason to have children, is there?

Good morning all. Bright and sunny here and quick scan of the U.S. weather today shows a teensy bit of weather in Oregon and far northern California and a wee bit along the northeast coast and that's it. I don't remember ever seeing it as completely clear across the entire nation as it is today. At any rate, I think it's fairly safe to say it won't snow in New Mexico today.

I'm up. Not happy about it but I'm up. And resisting going back to bed. Hombre will leave in a few to go do his volunteer work at the hospital and I'll have to decide if I feel well enough to do something productive or if I will decide I am just poorly enough to do nothing.

Oh well I can't think about that right now. I'll think about that after another cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Foxy - Jingles has finished taking all of her meds and is just fine. She can come off the list now. Thanks!

Great to hear BBD. Be sure to keep her on the strict diet the vet no doubt ordered for her and we'll hope she is one of the lucky ones who will never have another attack.

Good morning all. Bright and sunny here and quick scan of the U.S. weather today shows a teensy bit of weather in Oregon and far northern California and a wee bit along the northeast coast and that's it. I don't remember ever seeing it as completely clear across the entire nation as it is today. At any rate, I think it's fairly safe to say it won't snow in New Mexico today.

I'm up. Not happy about it but I'm up. And resisting going back to bed. Hombre will leave in a few to go do his volunteer work at the hospital and I'll have to decide if I feel well enough to do something productive or if I will decide I am just poorly enough to do nothing.

Oh well I can't think about that right now. I'll think about that after another cup of coffee.

You shouldn't do ANYTHING without first drinking a few cups of coffee and thinking it over. My vote is to go back to bed. Going back to bed is always a good choice.

Forum List

Back