USMB Coffee Shop IV

Wal-Mart cake:

walmart_cake1.jpg

Conversation probably went like this:

Walmart employee: "Hello, this is Wal-Marts, how can I help you?"

Customer: I would like to order a cake for a going away party this week.

Walmart employee: "What you want on da cake?"

Customer: "Best Wishes Suzanne" and, underneath that, "We'll Miss You"

Stop Laughing....

cake-fail1.png

cake-fail-28.jpg

Anybody in closer-to-arctic latitudes see aurora borealis last night? Heads up...

>> WEEKEND GEOMAGNETIC STORM: High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras on June 8th and 9th as Earth passes through the wake of a CME, which struck on June 7th. Initially, the CME's impact was was weak, but as the 7th turned into the 8th a G2-class geomagnetic storm developed, sparking auroras across Canada and many northern-tier US states.

... Auroras were also sighted in the USA in Maine, Minnesota, Washington, South Dakota, New York, and Michigan. About 10,000 miles away, sky watchers spotted the same shades of pink over New Zealand, so this was truly a global event.

The source of the CME was a magnetic filament on the sun, which erupted on June 4th. The explosion was not squarely aimed at Earth, but the glancing blow it provided three days later was enough to spark the ongoing display. NOAA forecasters say CME effects could persist until June 9th with a 25% chance of continued geomagnetic storms. More auroras are in the offing. << (spaceweather.com)

Unfortunately, it was overcast with intermittent showers here last night and most of today, so far. If possible, I'll be looking out for the Lights, thanks for the heads up. Additionally, I found this astrological tidbit in the news, too:
Asteroid to make close pass by Earth

Years ago (in the 1990's) when we lived up on the mountain, I was getting mail from the Army to a gal with the same name as mine. Hombre or I would dutifully return it to the post office clearly marked WRONG RECIPIENT or some such, but the mailings continued. And VOILA, one day we finally received her discharge from the Army and thought WHEW, well at least no more mail. But no. Then we started getting all the retirement stuff for her. Nothing we could do seemed to convince the military that I wasn't her. We continued to get the mail but it did taper off over time and after we moved into the city it stopped. Until the other day, we started getting information and solicitations for offers for veterans. . . .
When I was single, I moved around a lot. Filling out the USPS change of address forms started to become a routine. No matter how hard I tried contacting everyone to provide them with my new address, a good portion of my mail still went to the old address. When I eventually received it at my new address, it was with the USPS sticker /label that contained my new address. Once when I moved twice within the same year, it was a major hassle as I was still getting redirected mail, and had to cancel my old change of address, and provide a new one. It was a nightmare. I'm sure that there was some mail that I never received.

I had a buddy in college who moved FOUR times in about a 4 month time period and did not forwarding. The fourth address was the same address as the first address, which means he simply moved back into his old apartment. To this day we still laugh about his moving adventures of 1986.... and the non-need for an address forwarding for him.

:thup:

PO Box. 'Nuf said. I have two.

I have a dear friend, who is Jewish, who lives in NYC. He has never been to New Mexico since he was in elementary school, and he is absolutely convinced that we cannot have really good bagels in New Mexico. Despite the fact that we have known each other since childhood, with the typical New York snobbism about such things, he is certain I could not possibly know what I'm talking about. :)

Oh, I am sure that Bagels in New Mexico are totally delish. Would 7:30 do???

:lol:

Absolutely. Would you believe some of the best bagels in the world are made and sold by Dunkin' donuts? Also Costco has its own brand of bagels that are absolutely excellent. I know that probably offends the cultural sensibilities of a lot of us, but I am quite a connoisseur and have to admit they won out in a blind taste test.

Does Costco have hamentashen? :tongue:

Anybody in closer-to-arctic latitudes see aurora borealis last night? Heads up...

>> WEEKEND GEOMAGNETIC STORM: High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras on June 8th and 9th as Earth passes through the wake of a CME, which struck on June 7th. Initially, the CME's impact was was weak, but as the 7th turned into the 8th a G2-class geomagnetic storm developed, sparking auroras across Canada and many northern-tier US states.

... Auroras were also sighted in the USA in Maine, Minnesota, Washington, South Dakota, New York, and Michigan. About 10,000 miles away, sky watchers spotted the same shades of pink over New Zealand, so this was truly a global event.

The source of the CME was a magnetic filament on the sun, which erupted on June 4th. The explosion was not squarely aimed at Earth, but the glancing blow it provided three days later was enough to spark the ongoing display. NOAA forecasters say CME effects could persist until June 9th with a 25% chance of continued geomagnetic storms. More auroras are in the offing. << (spaceweather.com)

Unfortunately, it was overcast with intermittent showers here last night and most of today, so far. If possible, I'll be looking out for the Lights, thanks for the heads up. Additionally, I found this astrological tidbit in the news, too:

I remember Sarah posted that in her astrology thread (I think it was that one)

Well, bad news here --- for the mice that is. Hobbes is home. :woohoo:

After days of trying to entice him down with food and all he could do was wander out a branch to nowhere, Charlie from the local fire and rescue department came by, same guy that got him down the last time. He's had some nice wet food and is locked in now. I expect he'll zonk out to sleep before long since he's been up there since last Wednesday.

I guess I'm gonna have to learn how to cut his claws. I've never done that before but this feline flying Wallenda routine has got to go. :mad:

I'm just going to guess that that was sexual innuendo that I'm to young to understand.

Not at all - he's talking about corn. Ever bite into a cob of corn right off the stalk? Ahh - whole 'nother experience. I wouldn't do it now though, you may have been born too late. You no longer know what you're eating.

Which reminds me of a breakfast update -- those intrepid Coffeeshoppers of the retired thread may remember how I called Nora Mill in Georgia to inquire if the grits they stone grind from their Chatahoochie River water wheel are GMO-free, they responded they could not guarantee that because of what's happened to the overall corn supply.

Well Trader Joe's is now selling stone grond white corn grits just like 'em, and they DO guarantee they're GMO-free :eusa_dance: A very reasonable price too, cheaper than Nora Mill was charging. So I brought a bag home this weekend. They take a good 30-40 minutes to cook. Is it worth the wait?

Oh yeah. :)

Actually, my grandfather is a farmer of sorts (I say "of sorts" because that is not his primary source of income) and corn is about all he grows. We go out to his house at harvest time and help him bring it all in and we eat some of it as we go. So I must agree, fresh corn is infinitely preferable to the nonsense you can buy at the grocery store. As to assuming he was making sexual references, he had just mentioned dating a girl from Iowa in the same sentence. I had not noticed he had switched focuses mid-way through the sentence.

This might be hard to believe but I am surrounded by preserved farmlands here in NJ and so buying fresh picked corn from the farm stalls around here is the same as being able to go out and pick your own strawberries, pumpkins, etc. In that respect the local supermarkets can only really compete with the more exotic foods like avocados, oranges, etc.

After days of trying to entice him down with food and all he could do was wander out a branch to nowhere, Charlie from the local fire and rescue department came by, same guy that got him down the last time. He's had some nice wet food and is locked in now. I expect he'll zonk out to sleep before long since he's been up there since last Wednesday.

I guess I'm gonna have to learn how to cut his claws. I've never done that before but this feline flying Wallenda routine has got to go. :mad:

So glad to hear that he finally came down. I figured once he got hungry enough he would find a way. You're going to have to curtail his outings from now on, he's a daredevil....:)

Wal-Mart cake:

walmart_cake1.jpg

Conversation probably went like this:

Walmart employee: "Hello, this is Wal-Marts, how can I help you?"

Customer: I would like to order a cake for a going away party this week.

Walmart employee: "What you want on da cake?"

Customer: "Best Wishes Suzanne" and, underneath that, "We'll Miss You"

Stop Laughing....

Pshaw. Nothing a little wite-out won't fix up in a Jiffy. Or even a nice flat knife -- wipe out the letters "Under N".

So glad to hear that he finally came down. I figured once he got hungry enough he would find a way. You're going to have to curtail his outings from now on, he's a daredevil....:)

No he never did find a way. I gave up and called the rescue squad. I was kind of playing a cat-and-mouse game ( :lol: ) to see how long he'd stay up before getting resourceful, and I just ran out of patience.

It's also considerably warmer now than the last time and I'm thinking about how dehydrated he must be.

Cut his claws? Who told you to do that? Does not sound like a good idea at all.

That's great news, Pogo. Hobbes is home safe and sound! Just makes you wonder why he keeps doing the same 'insane' thing.

Cut his claws? Who told you to do that? Does not sound like a good idea at all.

Nope, he should have him de-clawed....... :eusa_whistle:

That's great news, Pogo. Hobbes is home safe and sound! Just makes you wonder why he keeps doing the same 'insane' thing.

I'm pretty convinced by now that except for visceral primal things like where da food at and which way home is, cats' experiential memory goes back about ten seconds.

I came up with the conclusion myself about cutting his claws back. The rescue team was suggesting de-clawing altogether, which I wouldn't do. I'm just not sure what else is gonna keep him from climbing 40 feet up a tree and then going "ruh-roh".

Howdy, everybody!
Taking a few minutes to catch up, and then back to work. I just sent the girls out with my wild crafting kit and some books about plants and flowers. They are to collect samples, identify them, bag them, label them, then bring them home for further discussion/study. They armored themselves in bug dope and are off to explore the woods. When they return, we will verify their identifications and then hit the medicinal/edible plant books to talk about what uses each plant might have.
Daughter's been cleaning up lots of debris and uncovered a huge carpenter ant nest under the house while removing all the scrap lumber my partner "stored" under there. We dug up a bit and I'll be spreading diatomaceous earth around the pilings to discourage further ant-incursions. Otherwise, we are getting handle on the mess here. My daughter asked me whether "The Hills Have Eyes" or we had a chainsaw murderer on premises. I assume she was making references to some creepy movies.
Well, back to work. Visit more later. I hope everyone else is getting as much accomplished as we are here.

Cutting his claws isn't a good idea, I think Pogo, unless he is going to strictly be an inside cat. Since your adventures with Hobbes, I've been reading up. I have had cats and raised cats all my life until recently, and they all climbed trees and lots of other stuff, and never had a problem getting themselves down. So I've been reading up and sure enough there are a very small number of cats who lack the ability to descend from heights they climb to. And Hobbes may be one of those cats.

Your best bet may be to just make him strictly an indoor cat. Get him one of those gigantic climbing thingees they make for rich cats to climb on inside. :)

But so happy he's home. I was more worried about you than him. :)

Howdy, everybody!
Taking a few minutes to catch up, and then back to work. I just sent the girls out with my wild crafting kit and some books about plants and flowers. They are to collect samples, identify them, bag them, label them, then bring them home for further discussion/study. They armored themselves in bug dope and are off to explore the woods. When they return, we will verify their identifications and then hit the medicinal/edible plant books to talk about what uses each plant might have.
Daughter's been cleaning up lots of debris and uncovered a huge carpenter ant nest under the house while removing all the scrap lumber my partner "stored" under there. We dug up a bit and I'll be spreading diatomaceous earth around the pilings to discourage further ant-incursions. Otherwise, we are getting handle on the mess here. My daughter asked me whether "The Hills Have Eyes" or we had a chainsaw murderer on premises. I assume she was making references to some creepy movies.
Well, back to work. Visit more later. I hope everyone else is getting as much accomplished as we are here.

:lol: Did you have fun with that? Or are you the protective, honest type?

Forum List

Back