USMB Coffee Shop IV

Whew.
Finally back from a week in Iowa. Without my laptop, because my parents wouldn't let me bring it (which is why I wasn't on at all).

Sorry to any Iowans who may use this thread, but your state is pretty boring, at least for vacations.

Also, Ringel, I watched Godzilla while I was out there, and I have this to say about it:
AWESOME!:lol::lol::lol::D:lol::lol::lol:

I dated a girl from Iowa once, and let me tell you, there are some really fine corn fields not far from Council Bluffs!!!

I'm just going to guess that that was sexual innuendo that I'm to young to understand.

Well, äääähhhh....... let's just say that those corncobs were standing up very, ähm, tall.

:rofl:

Whew.
Finally back from a week in Iowa. Without my laptop, because my parents wouldn't let me bring it (which is why I wasn't on at all).

Sorry to any Iowans who may use this thread, but your state is pretty boring, at least for vacations.

Also, Ringel, I watched Godzilla while I was out there, and I have this to say about it:

Clearly you haven't sampled the simple pleasure of a peach frozen yogurt on a hot Iowa summer night beneath a gas station fluorescent light after an all-day drive. Or a venture into a diner that looks frozen in a moment from 1962. :)

You don't find what you don't look for...

No, I went to the National Balloon Museum and Hall of Fame in Indianola, went to an Iowa Cubs game, saw the Godzilla movie, went to the zoo, and visited the Des Moines area Boy Scout shop.

Whew.

I dated a girl from Iowa once, and let me tell you, there are some really fine corn fields not far from Council Bluffs!!!

I'm just going to guess that that was sexual innuendo that I'm to young to understand.

Not at all - he's talking about corn. Ever bite into a cob of corn right off the stalk? Ahh - whole 'nother experience. I wouldn't do it now though, you may have been born too late. You no longer know what you're eating.

Which reminds me of a breakfast update -- those intrepid Coffeeshoppers of the retired thread may remember how I called Nora Mill in Georgia to inquire if the grits they stone grind from their Chatahoochie River water wheel are GMO-free, they responded they could not guarantee that because of what's happened to the overall corn supply.

Well Trader Joe's is now selling stone grond white corn grits just like 'em, and they DO guarantee they're GMO-free :eusa_dance: A very reasonable price too, cheaper than Nora Mill was charging. So I brought a bag home this weekend. They take a good 30-40 minutes to cook. Is it worth the wait?

Oh yeah. :)

Just got off the phone with my sister in the states. So, what does a nice Jewish guy and his sister talk about on the phone? Food, namely, bagels with Lachs and Creme Cheese!!

She threw a big party last night and apparently, in the middle of the party, the electricity in her neighborhood went kaploonk, kerplooey, so they did the rest of the party with candles...

Ahhhh, bagels....

I have a dear friend, who is Jewish, who lives in NYC. He has never been to New Mexico since he was in elementary school, and he is absolutely convinced that we cannot have really good bagels in New Mexico. Despite the fact that we have known each other since childhood, with the typical New York snobbism about such things, he is certain I could not possibly know what I'm talking about. :)

Oh, I am sure that Bagels in New Mexico are totally delish. Would 7:30 do???

:lol:

Absolutely. Would you believe some of the best bagels in the world are made and sold by Dunkin' donuts? Also Costco has its own brand of bagels that are absolutely excellent. I know that probably offends the cultural sensibilities of a lot of us, but I am quite a connoisseur and have to admit they won out in a blind taste test.

6a014e87106a98970d0168e8f5ecd0970c-pi.jpg

Oooh, that puppy is spoiled....his own crocheted blanket...:)

Funny:

A guy asked for a goodnight kiss, but the girl rebuffed him haughtily, saying: "I don't do that sort of thing on my first date!"
"Well," he said sarcastically, "how about on your last date?"

I have a dear friend, who is Jewish, who lives in NYC. He has never been to New Mexico since he was in elementary school, and he is absolutely convinced that we cannot have really good bagels in New Mexico. Despite the fact that we have known each other since childhood, with the typical New York snobbism about such things, he is certain I could not possibly know what I'm talking about. :)

Absolutely. Would you believe some of the best bagels in the world are made and sold by Dunkin' donuts? Also Costco has its own brand of bagels that are absolutely excellent. I know that probably offends the cultural sensibilities of a lot of us, but I am quite a connoisseur and have to admit they won out in a blind taste test.

Cool!!!

Whew.

Very wise parents, someday you'll understand why they didn't let you bring it. You probably would've lost it somewhere on the trip......:)

I forgot to respond to that:

oh, hell no!! A good bagel is a good bagel is a good bagel, if it's delish, I'll eat it!

It's not like we Jews have the copyright on Bagels, and it's also not rocket-science to figure out how to make them. I've made my own, it was really fun. But darn, it took time to do it...

So, here's my order for those Costco Bagels, and here's the address....

Not at all - he's talking about corn. Ever bite into a cob of corn right off the stalk? Ahh - whole 'nother experience. I wouldn't do it now though, you may have been born too late. You no longer know what you're eating.

Which reminds me of a breakfast update -- those intrepid Coffeeshoppers of the retired thread may remember how I called Nora Mill in Georgia to inquire if the grits they stone grind from their Chatahoochie River water wheel are GMO-free, they responded they could not guarantee that because of what's happened to the overall corn supply.

Well Trader Joe's is now selling stone grond white corn grits just like 'em, and they DO guarantee they're GMO-free :eusa_dance: A very reasonable price too, cheaper than Nora Mill was charging. So I brought a bag home this weekend. They take a good 30-40 minutes to cook. Is it worth the wait?

Oh yeah. :)

Actually, my grandfather is a farmer of sorts (I say "of sorts" because that is not his primary source of income) and corn is about all he grows. We go out to his house at harvest time and help him bring it all in and we eat some of it as we go. So I must agree, fresh corn is infinitely preferable to the nonsense you can buy at the grocery store. As to assuming he was making sexual references, he had just mentioned dating a girl from Iowa in the same sentence. I had not noticed he had switched focuses mid-way through the sentence.

Funny:

A guy asked for a goodnight kiss, but the girl rebuffed him haughtily, saying: "I don't do that sort of thing on my first date!"
"Well," he said sarcastically, "how about on your last date?"

If I could get a girl to go out with me, I would not dare to be that arrogant. I would just be grateful a girl would consider dating me. Oh well, to each his own.

I like Costco. We have one going up right down the road.

Whew.

Very wise parents, someday you'll understand why they didn't let you bring it. You probably would've lost it somewhere on the trip......:)

I'm not complaining. My only regret was that I could not visit the Coffee Shop.

Wal-Mart cake:

walmart_cake1.jpg

Conversation probably went like this:

Walmart employee: "Hello, this is Wal-Marts, how can I help you?"

Customer: I would like to order a cake for a going away party this week.

Walmart employee: "What you want on da cake?"

Customer: "Best Wishes Suzanne" and, underneath that, "We'll Miss You"

Stop Laughing....

Last edited:
Whew.

I'm not complaining. My only regret was that I could not visit the Coffee Shop.

well, yer here now. Pull up a big mug, and...

:)

Forum List

Back