USMB Coffee Shop IV

Do you believe in ghosts? :D I can't say that I believe in ghosts. Of course, I have no proof either way, but I am skeptical to say the least.
I'm a skeptic myself, or at least I was until opening the bar. The building was built in 1967 as a morgue for the National Guard Armory across the street. It was essentially a collection point for Viet Nam casualties waiting for arrangements to send them home. Once the war wound down, the army sold it and it became a church connected to the senior complex a block away. It has been a bar for 11 or 12 years now and all bar owners and staff from all 3 different clubs talk about "Shadow Man"
No one I know of has ever seen a face but they tell of catching a glimpse of a gray figure, usually described as male just walking past a mirror or just a sense of movement when there's only 1 or 2 people left in the building.
I always said, "Yeah, sure."
Then there was the night the drawer didn't balance. I told Max I would find it and sent him home.
I locked the doors and turned out the lights except for the jar lights over the bar and sat down and finally found a $100 in the stack of 10's. I was banding up cash when I got a glimpse of a shape reflected in a mirror on the wall positioned so that I can see the door from where I was sitting. I asked Max what he forgot and without waiting, told him about the "C" note. I got no answer. Immediately, I put the cash in the beer cooler and dropped the safety on my .40 and walked around the bar talking to no one loud enough so the dead could hear me. I got over to the office door which had been locked with the light out and saw light under the door.
I shouted "Who's in there?" and listened. I tried the door. Locked. I unlocked it and went in low, The room was empty.

I did check toilets the next morning as part of my opening routine. They were just fine.
I put the cash in the safe and got the hell out of there.

Well, I'm very skeptical about ghosts existing. There is usually another explanation for these phenomena. :) I've had some strange experiences myself, but I don't know what it was.
Some of my people have conversations with "Shadow Man". I'm certainly not there, but lights turning back on and shapes moving.... Sumptin strange goin' on.

Yes well . . . I would probably think those people had an overactive imagination at least. :D Pretty much every ghost story has been dispelled and have been actually due to logical explanations or people who are maybe feeling a bit vulnerable letting their imaginations run wild. Our brains are very powerful and mysterious things. :)
I agree, but I'm a scientific/mathematical kind of guy and having no logical explanation for what I saw is bothersome.
There may have been some psychological explanation for it. a few grand spread on the bar and a loaded and cocked .40 caliber semi within reach does make you more aware of your surroundings. It could be as simple as something outside blocking light coming through the front doors....

I was a qualified computer repair man, but that discipline never helped me to understand psychic possibilities.
I still tend to apply logic to such experience and seek rational answers, But some events seem to indicate subtle forces are at work.

I'm a skeptic myself, or at least I was until opening the bar. The building was built in 1967 as a morgue for the National Guard Armory across the street. It was essentially a collection point for Viet Nam casualties waiting for arrangements to send them home. Once the war wound down, the army sold it and it became a church connected to the senior complex a block away. It has been a bar for 11 or 12 years now and all bar owners and staff from all 3 different clubs talk about "Shadow Man"
No one I know of has ever seen a face but they tell of catching a glimpse of a gray figure, usually described as male just walking past a mirror or just a sense of movement when there's only 1 or 2 people left in the building.
Then there was the night the drawer didn't balance. I told Max I would find it and sent him home.
I locked the doors and turned out the lights except for the jar lights over the bar and sat down and finally found a $100 in the stack of 10's. I was banding up cash when I got a glimpse of a shape reflected in a mirror on the wall positioned so that I can see the door from where I was sitting. I asked Max what he forgot and without waiting, told him about the "C" note. I got no answer. Immediately, I put the cash in the beer cooler and dropped the safety on my .40 and walked around the bar talking to no one loud enough so the dead could hear me. I got over to the office door which had been locked with the light out and saw light under the door.
I shouted "Who's in there?" and listened. I tried the door. Locked. I unlocked it and went in low, The room was empty.

I did check toilets the next morning as part of my opening routine. They were just fine.

Well, I'm very skeptical about ghosts existing. There is usually another explanation for these phenomena. :) I've had some strange experiences myself, but I don't know what it was.
Some of my people have conversations with "Shadow Man". I'm certainly not there, but lights turning back on and shapes moving.... Sumptin strange goin' on.

Yes well . . . I would probably think those people had an overactive imagination at least. :D Pretty much every ghost story has been dispelled and have been actually due to logical explanations or people who are maybe feeling a bit vulnerable letting their imaginations run wild. Our brains are very powerful and mysterious things. :)
I agree, but I'm a scientific/mathematical kind of guy and having no logical explanation for what I saw is bothersome.
There may have been some psychological explanation for it. a few grand spread on the bar and a loaded and cocked .40 caliber semi within reach does make you more aware of your surroundings. It could be as simple as something outside blocking light coming through the front doors....

That's good thinking, Ernie. I think it's important for a business owner such as yourself to be armed. You never know what can happen. I've heard of some real horror stories, especially with bar owners. If you are there by yourself late at night, you could be very vulnerable.
It's a weird thing.... I carry probably 5 days a week. Most of those I expect to be an issue know that I have a permit and carry. They know just enough so that I feel safe and my staff is a bit more comfortable with knowing I have their back. BUT I'm more apt to have a good great time when not carrying. There's a lot of responsibility and need to be aware of everything going on when that Taurus is under my shirt.
The few times when I've been called back in near closing time to handle "situations" are hell on me. I will get home and stay up most of the night on an Adrenalin rush.
I suppose that's good over-all. I don't take being armed lightly.

Well, I have good news. I wasn't supposed to hear back from Aflac until Monday, but I was contacted today via e-mail and have been approved for a 2nd interview! Yay! Of course, I have a LOT of questions to ask and haven't really decided if this job is going to be appropriate for me, but I'm going to go to the interview and find out more info. :)

Yep. Nothing to lose by taking advantage of opportunity when it is dropped in your lap. You aren't committed to anything until the job is offered and you say that you accept. So we're keeping our fingers cross for you that if this is the right job, you'll get it. And if it isn't that you will know it.

Thanks so much Foxy. I think I'm going to write out some of my questions tonight or tomorrow so that I don't forget some of the important questions I have. I hate when that happens . . . when they ask if you have any questions and you draw a blank. Lol. I'm going to be prepared though! :)

When I did the hiring for any of my businesses I would always ask a job applicant what they considered to be their greatest weakness. ( this question often drew a blank ) :lol:

I've often wondered what, exactly, is the point of asking such a question. Is it just to try and make the interviewee uncomfortable, take them away from any prepared answers?

Well, I have good news. I wasn't supposed to hear back from Aflac until Monday, but I was contacted today via e-mail and have been approved for a 2nd interview! Yay! Of course, I have a LOT of questions to ask and haven't really decided if this job is going to be appropriate for me, but I'm going to go to the interview and find out more info. :)

Yep. Nothing to lose by taking advantage of opportunity when it is dropped in your lap. You aren't committed to anything until the job is offered and you say that you accept. So we're keeping our fingers cross for you that if this is the right job, you'll get it. And if it isn't that you will know it.

Thanks so much Foxy. I think I'm going to write out some of my questions tonight or tomorrow so that I don't forget some of the important questions I have. I hate when that happens . . . when they ask if you have any questions and you draw a blank. Lol. I'm going to be prepared though! :)

Questions like:

1. What is the percentage of recruits that stay two years?
2. What is the average first year income?
3. How many agents average over $50,000 a year.

I have a feeling you aren't going to like the answers.

Yup, I'll have to write down these questions too. However, if you can sell a plan to 48 employees in a month, you can make a $66,000 commission.

I think you might have to sell a plan to 48 employees every month to make a $66,000 commission. Otherwise the math just doesn't realistically add up. And even then, it averages out to $118 commission to you for every employee and, unless those policies are very expensive, even that looks a little high. You might want to clarify that.

When I did the hiring for any of my businesses I would always ask a job applicant what they considered to be their greatest weakness. ( this question often drew a blank ) :lol:

I've often wondered what, exactly, is the point of asking such a question. Is it just to try and make the interviewee uncomfortable, take them away from any prepared answers?
Not so much to make one uncomfortable, but to see how people view themselves.
I always kept a messy desk. I knew where everything was, but I would, at first get complaints. A couple years go by and I would decide to do a major reorganization and the boss would come running to see if I was planning to quit.
Yeah, you want to get the candidate away from his prepared material to see how he thinks under pressure and that question is a good way of assessing ego as well.

Ya never know, Chris. If it was a malevolent spirit or dark energy, they might do whatever it is that it feels would upset Dajjal, and want it to be disgusting.

I've never heard of it before, but stranger things have happened.

Do you believe in ghosts? :D I can't say that I believe in ghosts. Of course, I have no proof either way, but I am skeptical to say the least.

I personally have never seen a ghost. But I want to. :)

I have visited 'haunted' places and reviewed their histories, and most of the phenomena reported has not been explained. I have talked with many people who are well educated, not given to making up tall tales, and who are not excitable or unreasonable in any aspect of their lives who have experienced phenomena that for want of a better explanation, we could call 'ghosts'. Whether or not what they experienced were in fact ghosts is open to consideration, but I am 100% convinced they experienced something that appeared that way.

So I keep an open mind.

Questions like:

Yup, I'll have to write down these questions too. However, if you can sell a plan to 48 employees in a month, you can make a $66,000 commission.

I think you might have to sell a plan to 48 employees every month to make a $66,000 commission. Otherwise the math just doesn't realistically add up. And even then, it averages out to $118 commission to you for every employee and, unless those policies are very expensive, even that looks a little high. You might want to clarify that.
There are dozens of options, Foxy. For some the yearly premium is barely $118, for some is't more/month.

Not so much to make one uncomfortable, but to see how people view themselves.
I always kept a messy desk. I knew where everything was, but I would, at first get complaints. A couple years go by and I would decide to do a major reorganization and the boss would come running to see if I was planning to quit.
Yeah, you want to get the candidate away from his prepared material to see how he thinks under pressure and that question is a good way of assessing ego as well.

My stock answer to that question is that I have a tendency to over estimate how much I can get done in a given amount of time. And that's the truth. :)

Questions like:

There are dozens of options, Foxy. For some the yearly premium is barely $118, for some is't more/month.

I know. But the bottom line is the profit margin. The company doesn't get to keep all the premium because a substantial amount will be paid out in claims. So how much profit does the company project for $1 in premium? And what percentage of that can they realistically pay to their salesperson? That is what I'm looking at here.

At the same time I would recommend to Chris that the interview not become combative over these things. Questions about what the average commision is for their people are reasonable, but really grilling the interviewer on how they run their business would likely be off putting. Be smart and read between the lines though and what the interviewer doesn't say is sometimes as important as what he/she says.

I personally have never seen a ghost. But I want to. :)

I have visited 'haunted' places and reviewed their histories, and most of the phenomena reported has not been explained. I have talked with many people who are well educated, not given to making up tall tales, and who are not excitable or unreasonable in any aspect of their lives who have experienced phenomena that for want of a better explanation, we could call 'ghosts'. Whether or not what they experienced were in fact ghosts is open to consideration, but I am 100% convinced they experienced something that appeared that way.

So I keep an open mind.

I have never seen a ghost either, but I sat in two spiritualist developing circles in the 1970's and saw other people taken in trance and spoke to the spirits that took over their minds. One of them was a good friend of mine and I watched him develop as a medium in front of my eyes. He is still going around churches giving services to this day. His name was Trevor Williams. There is no way I think he was pretending to talk to the spirits as he was too much of a friend to deliberately try to fool me.

In any case I have had some direct psychic experiences of my own. One time another friend of mine knew I was in trouble and he ran up the road and burst into my room and asked me if I was alright. I was not alright and might have had a breakdown if he had not come, but he knew I needed help and he soon talked me down. That was in the 1980's and it proved to me that telepathy exists.

I don't think ghosts would need to use the toilet. :D
Ya never know, Chris. If it was a malevolent spirit or dark energy, they might do whatever it is that it feels would upset Dajjal, and want it to be disgusting.

I've never heard of it before, but stranger things have happened.

Back when I was still working, I would often pull all nighters to catch up on paper work. And to keep me company, on the radio beginning around 11 p.m. was a guy, Art Bell, who talked about 'shadow people'. Those images you sometimes see out of the corner of your eye but when you turn to look, there is nothing there. But you have a real sense that something was there. Both Art Bell and George Noury who replaced him on Coast to Coast talked about this phenomena and both of them were convinced it was not a positive thing. I have not personally been bothered about any 'shadow people' around here though I will admit to have possibly experienced the phenomenon.

I just updated my thread ' spiritual teachings' on the religion and ethics forum. I did a google search for an old friend called Trevor Williams and found he is a contributor to the online' two worlds' magazine.

Well, since you asked. :D

The first thing to do is find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life. If you don't like sales, or people, or what you are selling, you won't do well.

You have to first sell yourself. The customer has to like you. ( generally speaking )

Understand the best communication skill is, listening.

Looking professional, depending upon the kind of business, is important, too. It tells the customer, you have put some thought into yourself, for your job and they like that. It impresses them.

There are two areas in which outstanding salespeople make it to the top of their jobs.

One, is a natural ability to interact with a customer. Good, open body language and showing interest in them because you truly are. If you are dealing with women as well as men, and you are attractive, this attribute will help you overcome that fact, to a woman, if she considers attractive women as threats as so many do. You need to address most of your attention and remarks to her and not the object of her affection.

Two, is to have a strategy in selling. This comes with experience and I have it honed. :thup:

Some salespersons have both, one and two, and we rarely fail to make the sale.

All the best, ChrisL.

Great advice, but I was more wondering about technique. I know it's important to be able to read people, not necessarily to "like" them. I've worked with people before when I worked at the front desk of an office and got along fine, so that's not really my problem. My problem is how to make connections.

Also, what strategies did you use and what products did you sell? I'm very interested in strategies that other salespeople use to get a good customer base going. Like I talked about earlier, I could telemarket . . . I'm not crazy about that. What would you suggest? :)
If you are looking into one-on-one sales, explore neuro-linguistic programming. There's a book "Frogs into Princes".

Lol. That sounds a bit complicated. :lol:
Not really. My instructor told me that I was a natural at neurolinguistic programming. It's kinda fun to do it in bars, or other crowded locations where you might want to "connect with" another person. It's also useful for interrogation. Lots better than water boarding and such...

I don't even know what it is! :D
It's a technique that allows you to use non-verbal signals from your "client" in order to establish rapport with them. You can then use that relationship to elicit various responses from the person you are dealing with, and to guide them to a desired result. If you are good at this, they usually don't even realize their are being "interrogated" and then directed to an outcome.

Questions like:

Yes it's 48 employees a month. If I go to 3 businesses in a month and get at least 16 employees to sign up for plans, then I've met my quota. They have some very good plans. I think the biggest thing would be connections and getting in the door to make my presentation. :) Of course, I'm not even sure about this job yet. It is daunting and a little scary, but the opportunities are very good if you can do it.

I remember once when I was in my early 20s, I went for a part-time waitressing job for some extra cash at a TGI Friday's restaurant. They asked the stupidest questions. Like, what will I bring to the Friday's team??? I was thinking to myself, this is a waitressing job that pays LESS than minimum wage. I had no idea how to answer that question for such a job? :lol: I was thinking . . . . Ummm, wait on tables??? :tongue:

Questions like:

Yes it's 48 employees a month. If I go to 3 businesses in a month and get at least 16 employees to sign up for plans, then I've met my quota. They have some very good plans. I think the biggest thing would be connections and getting in the door to make my presentation. :) Of course, I'm not even sure about this job yet. It is daunting and a little scary, but the opportunities are very good if you can do it.
I can help out, I'm an expert in the sale of bridges and desert ocean front property.......... Not to mention how to construct a proper Ponzi scheme with a foolproof escape plan....... :eusa_whistle:

Questions like:

I can help out, I'm an expert in the sale of bridges and desert ocean front property.......... Not to mention how to construct a proper Ponzi scheme with a foolproof escape plan....... :eusa_whistle:

:D

Pyramid-Schemes.jpg

I remember once when I was in my early 20s, I went for a part-time waitressing job for some extra cash at a TGI Friday's restaurant. They asked the stupidest questions. Like, what will I bring to the Friday's team??? I was thinking to myself, this is a waitressing job that pays LESS than minimum wage. I had no idea how to answer that question for such a job? :lol: I was thinking . . . . Ummm, wait on tables??? :tongue:

I agree. I had one interviewer ask me why he should hire me over the other applicants for the job. I didn't KNOW who any of the other applicants were, so that struck me as an exceedingly dangerous question to answer. I think I answered it that I didn't know what the others were offering, but I knew that I would give the job my very best 100% of the time. (I didn't get the job.)

And I happened to know a person in another firm where I had also applied and didn't get the job. And I asked her why I was probably passed over. What were they looking for? And she told me point blank that they were looking for somebody who would sleep with the boss and I didn't look like somebody who would so. . . .

Sometimes the jobs we don't get are bigger blessings than the ones we do get. :)

I agree. I had one interviewer ask me why he should hire me over the other applicants for the job. I didn't KNOW who any of the other applicants were, so that struck me as an exceedingly dangerous question to answer. I think I answered it that I didn't know what the others were offering, but I knew that I would give the job my very best 100% of the time. (I didn't get the job.)

And I happened to know a person in another firm where I had also applied and didn't get the job. And I asked her why I was probably passed over. What were they looking for? And she told me point blank that they were looking for somebody who would sleep with the boss and I didn't look like somebody who would so. . . .

Sometimes the jobs we don't get are bigger blessings than the ones we do get. :)

Really? He just wanted an employee that would have sex with him? That's disgusting. What is WRONG with some people?

Really? He just wanted an employee that would have sex with him? That's disgusting. What is WRONG with some people?

That's what she said. Back when I was much younger and less wise, I have been chased around a desk a time or two. At least the women's lib movement, for all its flaws, did help us out in that regard. It is a rare employer or supervisor who will take such a risk these days.

But I married a career guy who got transferred a LOT during the early decades of our marriage. And as such, we agreed he would be the primary bread winner and I would be the one that would start over in each new place. And in many of those new places I had to start out in minimum wage jobs or not much over that and often dead end jobs. But it is much easier to get a better job if you're already employed so I never had to stay in those low paying jobs for long.

But along the way I had a lot of really crappy bosses. Incompetent ones. Psychotic ones--one guy sent me to his psychiatrist for an intelligence test before he would hire me. That should have been my first clue that it wasn't going to end well and it didn't. Terrible job.--and those who were just plain unpleasant, even abusive. And I've had some great bosses.

I still like working for myself the best.

Forum List

Back