USMB Coffee Shop IV

When I did the hiring for any of my businesses I would always ask a job applicant what they considered to be their greatest weakness. ( this question often drew a blank ) :lol:

I've often wondered what, exactly, is the point of asking such a question. Is it just to try and make the interviewee uncomfortable, take them away from any prepared answers?

I remember once when I was in my early 20s, I went for a part-time waitressing job for some extra cash at a TGI Friday's restaurant. They asked the stupidest questions. Like, what will I bring to the Friday's team??? I was thinking to myself, this is a waitressing job that pays LESS than minimum wage. I had no idea how to answer that question for such a job? :lol: I was thinking . . . . Ummm, wait on tables??? :tongue:

I agree. I had one interviewer ask me why he should hire me over the other applicants for the job. I didn't KNOW who any of the other applicants were, so that struck me as an exceedingly dangerous question to answer. I think I answered it that I didn't know what the others were offering, but I knew that I would give the job my very best 100% of the time. (I didn't get the job.)

And I happened to know a person in another firm where I had also applied and didn't get the job. And I asked her why I was probably passed over. What were they looking for? And she told me point blank that they were looking for somebody who would sleep with the boss and I didn't look like somebody who would so. . . .

Sometimes the jobs we don't get are bigger blessings than the ones we do get. :)

Really? He just wanted an employee that would have sex with him? That's disgusting. What is WRONG with some people?

That's what she said. Back when I was much younger and less wise, I have been chased around a desk a time or two. At least the women's lib movement, for all its flaws, did help us out in that regard. It is a rare employer or supervisor who will take such a risk these days.

But I married a career guy who got transferred a LOT during the early decades of our marriage. And as such, we agreed he would be the primary bread winner and I would be the one that would start over in each new place. And in many of those new places I had to start out in minimum wage jobs or not much over that and often dead end jobs. But it is much easier to get a better job if you're already employed so I never had to stay in those low paying jobs for long.

But along the way I had a lot of really crappy bosses. Incompetent ones. Psychotic ones--one guy sent me to his psychiatrist for an intelligence test before he would hire me. That should have been my first clue that it wasn't going to end well and it didn't. Terrible job.--and those who were just plain unpleasant, even abusive. And I've had some great bosses.

I still like working for myself the best.

I just don't get why an employer would want to hire an employee to sleep with him. Why not just go to a prostitute then? :cuckoo: I would have to think that such people are not playing with a full deck.

I've often wondered what, exactly, is the point of asking such a question. Is it just to try and make the interviewee uncomfortable, take them away from any prepared answers?

I remember once when I was in my early 20s, I went for a part-time waitressing job for some extra cash at a TGI Friday's restaurant. They asked the stupidest questions. Like, what will I bring to the Friday's team??? I was thinking to myself, this is a waitressing job that pays LESS than minimum wage. I had no idea how to answer that question for such a job? :lol: I was thinking . . . . Ummm, wait on tables??? :tongue:

I agree. I had one interviewer ask me why he should hire me over the other applicants for the job. I didn't KNOW who any of the other applicants were, so that struck me as an exceedingly dangerous question to answer. I think I answered it that I didn't know what the others were offering, but I knew that I would give the job my very best 100% of the time. (I didn't get the job.)

And I happened to know a person in another firm where I had also applied and didn't get the job. And I asked her why I was probably passed over. What were they looking for? And she told me point blank that they were looking for somebody who would sleep with the boss and I didn't look like somebody who would so. . . .

Sometimes the jobs we don't get are bigger blessings than the ones we do get. :)

Really? He just wanted an employee that would have sex with him? That's disgusting. What is WRONG with some people?

That's what she said. Back when I was much younger and less wise, I have been chased around a desk a time or two. At least the women's lib movement, for all its flaws, did help us out in that regard. It is a rare employer or supervisor who will take such a risk these days.

But I married a career guy who got transferred a LOT during the early decades of our marriage. And as such, we agreed he would be the primary bread winner and I would be the one that would start over in each new place. And in many of those new places I had to start out in minimum wage jobs or not much over that and often dead end jobs. But it is much easier to get a better job if you're already employed so I never had to stay in those low paying jobs for long.

But along the way I had a lot of really crappy bosses. Incompetent ones. Psychotic ones--one guy sent me to his psychiatrist for an intelligence test before he would hire me. That should have been my first clue that it wasn't going to end well and it didn't. Terrible job.--and those who were just plain unpleasant, even abusive. And I've had some great bosses.

I just don't get why an employer would want to hire an employee to sleep with him. Why not just go to a prostitute then? :cuckoo: I would have to think that such people are not playing with a full deck.

Oh I think they're playing with a full deck. But, at least before there was social pressures against sexual harrassment, I can see where an unscrupulous and horny employer would enjoy a stable of young gals willing to be accommodating in order to get ahead. Much more socially acceptable than risking being seen with a prostitute.

Oh I think they're playing with a full deck. But, at least before there was social pressures against sexual harrassment, I can see where an unscrupulous and horny employer would enjoy a stable of young gals willing to be accommodating in order to get ahead. Much more socially acceptable than risking being seen with a prostitute.

How about finding a girlfriend? I'm sorry, anyone who would allow themselves to get caught up in such an unhealthy and risky behavior like that is not really healthy in some way. Something is wrong with them.

How about finding a girlfriend?

Girlfriends require dinner and a movie and stuff like that before they'll sleep with you. Or back then the girls often required a ring and a date before they would sleep with you. Or a wedding. :)

The conditions that existed before the sexual revolution were much different than the world you were born into. Back then women really were at a disadvantage in situations like that. You either played ball with the unscrupulous employer or you were out--you either quit or you were thrown out. And there really wasn't much women could do about it. It isn't that way now--women hold a reat deal of power to deal with a boss who is way over the line--so you don't see stuff like that much if at all anymore.

Last edited:

How about finding a girlfriend?

Girlfriends require dinner and a movie and stuff like that before they'll sleep with you. :)

The conditions that existed before the sexual revolution were much different than the world you were born into. Back then women really were at a disadvantage in situations like that. You either played ball with the unscrupulous employer or you were out--you either quit or you were thrown out. And there really wasn't much women could do about it. It isn't that way now--women hold a reat deal of power to deal with a boss who is way over the line--so you don't see stuff like that much if at all anymore.

Thank God. I can't see a job like that going anywhere. Imagine how that would end! Not to mention, it's just like being a hooker! That is a real dead end job. It was a blessing you didn't get "hired." Lol. :D

I've had the 'what can you bring to our team' questions before. I said fill the job description and I was just looking for a job, not a cult to belong to. No, I wasn't hired.

One time, I'm positive it was two gay guys looking for a potential toy. They called me in and it was obvious they never even read my resume.

I've had the 'what can you bring to our team' questions before. I said fill the job description and I was just looking for a job, not a cult to belong to. No, I wasn't hired.

One time, I'm positive it was two gay guys looking for a potential toy. They called me in and it was obvious they never even read my resume.

Yes, and that is a really stupid question for a waitress. :lol: I did come up with a pretty good answer though. I said that I would be there on time every day and do the job to the best of my ability, but geez . . . most people take those types of jobs for extra money or because they don't have many other options. It's not like it's anyone's life goal to be a waitress or a waiter.

40-Ernie-FU-monday-meme.png

Yes, and that is a really stupid question for a waitress. :lol: I did come up with a pretty good answer though. I said that I would be there on time every day and do the job to the best of my ability, but geez . . . most people take those types of jobs for extra money or because they don't have many other options. It's not like it's anyone's life goal to be a waitress or a waiter.
Yes, I think they read it out of a book or online but those jobs were probably corporate boards seeking CEOs. It's a pretty good sign the job would suck though.

If you all are talking about that vinegar based (no tomato added) Carolina BBQ sauce you can have it, you can have my portion........ most disgusting stuff I've ever had the misfortune of assaulting my taste buds with.
Vinegar based with no tomato is eastern NC style sauce, vinegar and tomato based is Lexington (NC) style. Additionally, Lexington style typically uses only the shoulder of the hog whilst Eastern NC style typically uses the whole hog.
Personally, I prefer my pork BBQ served with no sauce, just a good old fashioned slow cooked/smoked pork. Put the sauces on the side, sometimes I'm in the mood for a sweet one, other times an eastern style, other times a Lexington style, sometimes a mustard based.
You can't have Carolina BBQ without slaw. Lexington style slaw is red made with the Lexington style sauce, whilst most other slaw is made with mayonaise. I enjoy both styles.

I married a Carolina gal educated as a chef in CA, she introduced me to the finer points of Carolina BBQ and slaw.

Okay, it's seems I had some of my info wrong. The wifes phone interview today wasn't Reno, apparently that one didn't work out. It was for Las Vegas NV and she's been getting more and more calls. This morning she got a call for one of three jobs in New Mexico, one in Alamogordo, one in Gallup and one in Albuquerque she also got one for a job in Chicago...... she said no to that one........ :lol:

I just had a strange, and somewhat disturbing experience. I went to the toilet and found it streaked with shit.
I am completely sure I did not do it because I would have flushed it away. I then searched the flat and it is secure and there is nobody in it but me, nor do I see how anyone could have got in. That leaves only two explanations I can think of. Either I did it myself and I was sleep walking, or some poltergeist took a dump in my loo.
I don't like either possibility as I do not think I have sleep walked before and I do not want to start now.
Either way I think I will be leaving a light on when I go to bed tonight.
If you were sleepwalking be glad that is all you did.
As a child, I used to sleepwalk quite often, as an adult, much less often.

The last time I am aware that I was sleepwalking was about 20 years ago.
I awoke laying on my kitchen floor at about 3:00am wearing nothing but a coat. Really, nothing but a coat, no underwear, no shoes, no pants, just the coat. It was January and my front door was wide open letting the cold in. I closed the front door and went back to bed. The next morning, I couldn't find my car keys. They weren't on the end table in the living room where I always left them and remembered leaving them the previous evening. Eventually, I found them. In the ignition of my car, and oh, by the way, my car doors were locked. I had to call a locksmith to get into my car. To this day, I don't know if I drove somewhere that night.

As a child, I don't know what caused me to sleepwalk. As an adult, I am only aware of doing it during high stress times of my life. The incident above occured during my seperation/divorce. Funny enough (at least funny to me), prior to that sleepwalking incident the last one I am aware of was just a few days before I got married.

Yep. Nothing to lose by taking advantage of opportunity when it is dropped in your lap. You aren't committed to anything until the job is offered and you say that you accept. So we're keeping our fingers cross for you that if this is the right job, you'll get it. And if it isn't that you will know it.

Thanks so much Foxy. I think I'm going to write out some of my questions tonight or tomorrow so that I don't forget some of the important questions I have. I hate when that happens . . . when they ask if you have any questions and you draw a blank. Lol. I'm going to be prepared though! :)

Questions like:

1. What is the percentage of recruits that stay two years?
2. What is the average first year income?
3. How many agents average over $50,000 a year.

I have a feeling you aren't going to like the answers.

Yup, I'll have to write down these questions too. However, if you can sell a plan to 48 employees in a month, you can make a $66,000 commission.

I think you might have to sell a plan to 48 employees every month to make a $66,000 commission. Otherwise the math just doesn't realistically add up. And even then, it averages out to $118 commission to you for every employee and, unless those policies are very expensive, even that looks a little high. You might want to clarify that.

Yes it's 48 employees a month. If I go to 3 businesses in a month and get at least 16 employees to sign up for plans, then I've met my quota. They have some very good plans. I think the biggest thing would be connections and getting in the door to make my presentation. :) Of course, I'm not even sure about this job yet. It is daunting and a little scary, but the opportunities are very good if you can do it.

What you need to realize is that every business you visit has already had at least one, and probably more, AFLAC reps there ahead of you. Meeting a large quote is going to be a very difficult thing for you to do.

I just had a strange, and somewhat disturbing experience. I went to the toilet and found it streaked with shit.
I am completely sure I did not do it because I would have flushed it away. I then searched the flat and it is secure and there is nobody in it but me, nor do I see how anyone could have got in. That leaves only two explanations I can think of. Either I did it myself and I was sleep walking, or some poltergeist took a dump in my loo.
I don't like either possibility as I do not think I have sleep walked before and I do not want to start now.
Either way I think I will be leaving a light on when I go to bed tonight.
If you were sleepwalking be glad that is all you did.
As a child, I used to sleepwalk quite often, as an adult, much less often.

The last time I am aware that I was sleepwalking was about 20 years ago.
I awoke laying on my kitchen floor at about 3:00am wearing nothing but a coat. Really, nothing but a coat, no underwear, no shoes, no pants, just the coat. It was January and my front door was wide open letting the cold in. I closed the front door and went back to bed. The next morning, I couldn't find my car keys. They weren't on the end table in the living room where I always left them and remembered leaving them the previous evening. Eventually, I found them. In the ignition of my car, and oh, by the way, my car doors were locked. I had to call a locksmith to get into my car. To this day, I don't know if I drove somewhere that night.

As a child, I don't know what caused me to sleepwalk. As an adult, I am only aware of doing it during high stress times of my life. The incident above occured during my seperation/divorce. Funny enough (at least funny to me), prior to that sleepwalking incident the last one I am aware of was just a few days before I got married.

Well that would have scared the crap out of me. I'm glad you were okay.

Okay, it's seems I had some of my info wrong. The wifes phone interview today wasn't Reno, apparently that one didn't work out. It was for Las Vegas NV and she's been getting more and more calls. This morning she got a call for one of three jobs in New Mexico, one in Alamogordo, one in Gallup and one in Albuquerque she also got one for a job in Chicago...... she said no to that one........ :lol:

You really want Albuquerque instead of Gallup or Alamogordo neither of which are close to anywhere. But given a choice between Alamogordo and Gallup, I would take Alamogordo in a heartbeat. At least you are minutes from alpine mountains, White Sands, and an easy four-lane drive to Las Cruces for serious shopping for things you can't get in your small town.

Thanks so much Foxy. I think I'm going to write out some of my questions tonight or tomorrow so that I don't forget some of the important questions I have. I hate when that happens . . . when they ask if you have any questions and you draw a blank. Lol. I'm going to be prepared though! :)

Questions like:

1. What is the percentage of recruits that stay two years?
2. What is the average first year income?
3. How many agents average over $50,000 a year.

I have a feeling you aren't going to like the answers.

Yup, I'll have to write down these questions too. However, if you can sell a plan to 48 employees in a month, you can make a $66,000 commission.

I think you might have to sell a plan to 48 employees every month to make a $66,000 commission. Otherwise the math just doesn't realistically add up. And even then, it averages out to $118 commission to you for every employee and, unless those policies are very expensive, even that looks a little high. You might want to clarify that.

Yes it's 48 employees a month. If I go to 3 businesses in a month and get at least 16 employees to sign up for plans, then I've met my quota. They have some very good plans. I think the biggest thing would be connections and getting in the door to make my presentation. :) Of course, I'm not even sure about this job yet. It is daunting and a little scary, but the opportunities are very good if you can do it.

What you need to realize is that every business you visit has already had at least one, and probably more, AFLAC reps there ahead of you. Meeting a large quote is going to be a very difficult thing for you to do.

My ex BIL has been in sales many years, and he worked for them for a couple years...they find ways to convince you of making investments if you want to be seen as legitimate and become successful, such as renting office space. He found other insurance companies that were much easier to make commissions. Remember, they'll be prepared to respond to your questions, and they are experts at selling themselves.

Forum List

Back