USMB Sports Bar

Y! SPORTS

Rose getting slammed in the comments section.

Rose will continue to get slammed more and more until he returns.

Rose is a selfish s.o.b. But that stuff sells in the big markets in lieu of winning. That's why the Lakers were fiercely loyal to Kobe even during years the team sucks and why Gallinari and then Lin got the boot from NY in favor of Carmelo

Chicago is not winning a championship with that current team with or without Rose.

Rose will continue to get slammed more and more until he returns.

Rose is a selfish s.o.b. But that stuff sells in the big markets in lieu of winning. That's why the Lakers were fiercely loyal to Kobe even during years the team sucks and why Gallinari and then Lin got the boot from NY in favor of Carmelo

Chicago is not winning a championship with that current team with or without Rose.

Rose was cleared to play in February. I'm sure he'll play if the Bulls somehow beat the Heat.

Its really a shame Rudy Gay isn't on Memphis anymore, I really think they could beat Miami if they had enough scoring.

They miss Gay for closing out games. But I actually think the Grizz play better w/o him. Randolph has said as much.

I don't know bro I think if Memphis gets to San Antonio or Miami, they are going to miss that scoring.

Stephon Curry is amazing, Ginobili stepped up big time!

He's allowed to constantly carry-over holding the ball behind his back. From there, he can go behind his back or stall and take a quick step forward.

Ginobili or Curry?:confused:

Curry. Watch him. He does it all the time. It makes him a lot more adept than he otherwise would be. He wasn't that quick in college; likely b/c they would have called that on him all game.

Its really a shame Rudy Gay isn't on Memphis anymore, I really think they could beat Miami if they had enough scoring.

They miss Gay for closing out games. But I actually think the Grizz play better w/o him. Randolph has said as much.

I don't know bro I think if Memphis gets to San Antonio or Miami, they are going to miss that scoring.

Did Rudy Gay Trade Unleash Potent Frontcourt Duo for Memphis Grizzlies? | Bleacher Report

Part of the reason is that Gay, while he has the ability to create his own shot, is also inefficient offensively. With Memphis, Gay had a paltry effective field-goal percentage of .438, and that has fallen to .406 with Toronto. His true shooting percentage was a diminutive .478.

Sometimes that can be forgiven if, in the process of taking those shots, a player also opens up looks for his teammates and shares the ball. However Gay’s 12.1 percent assist rate, along with the fact that his teammates shot better when he sat on the bench, indicate that Gay wasn’t doing that.

Throw in that he had a usage percentage of 25.5, and you come to the conclusion that he was perilous to Memphis’s offense.

Inefficient scoring on a quarter of the team’s plays while on the court, coupled with ball-hoggery, is a dangerous combination. It means Memphis was effectively wasting a lot of possessions.

Comparing their splits before and after the trade is telling. Per NBA.com/STATS, prior to the trade, the Grizzlies had an offensive rating of 100.4, with an effective field-goal percentage of 46.6 and a true shooting percentage of just 50.8.

Since the trade, they have an offensive rating of 103.2 with an effective field-goal percentage of 48.7 percent and a true shooting percentage of 52.4 percent.

Clearly, they are a more efficient team without Gay. So the question then is why?

A big part of that answer, both literally and figuratively, is Marc Gasol, who has seen a jump in scoring since Gay’s departure. He’s gone from scoring 13.7 points per game before the trade to 15.3 points per game since the trade, and in so doing has made himself the front-runner for first-team All-NBA center.

His scoring, passing, defense and rebounding are apparent in the video below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p7jIwxrd1IM#]Marc Gasol 23 points 12 rebounds vs Portland Trail Blazers full highlights 03/06/2013 HD - YouTube[/ame]!

The Grizzlies added two key players when they traded Gay: Davis and Tayshaun Prince.

Davis has been quietly effective. His effective field-goal percentage has been .587, the best of any player on the team.

Prince’s numbers aren’t any better than Gay’s, as he has an effective field-goal percentage of just .447 and a true shooting percentage of only .451, but his usage is significantly lower at just 15.7 and he has an assist percentage of 14.5.

This suggests that, unlike Gay, Prince is aware of his inefficacy, and is therefore looking to pass first, rather than take the shot first.

How The Memphis Grizzlies Improved After Trading Rudy Gay

How is that possible? Gay was having the worst season of his career and became an overrated shell of his former self this season. Quite frankly, Gay became a black hole on offense for the Grizzlies, and the stats bore that out.
Rudy Gay

FG per game PPG FG% 3FG% TO/Game
November 16.7 18.7 41.5 41.9 2.2
December 16.4 16.7 39.4 23.3 2.7
January 15.8 15.9 40.5 28.6 2.5

Gay became nothing more than a volume shooter for the Grizzlies, and a poor one at that. When your shots practically equal your points per game, there is something seriously wrong. Yahoo! Sports’ fantasy basketball calculates that the average field-goal percentage for a forward such as Gay is 45.6 percent. Gay has been routinely 5 percent worse than that as a shooter, and he does significant damage to an offense because he takes so many shots.

Therefore, it should have come as no surprise that Memphis suffered tremendously on offense with Gay in the lineup. And despite being replaced by a trio of players not known for their offense, there was actually an improvement in the team’s productivity after Gay’s departure. League rank in parentheses:

Memphis O PPG FG% 3FG% Turnovers
November 99.5 (9) 45 (12) 39.3 (6) 13.5 (4)
December 90.4 (27) 42.4 (27) 31.5 (27) 16.3 (30)
January 91.1 (30) 43.6 (26) 32.6 (27) 14.1 (9)
February 93.3 (24) 46 (15) 36.1 (16) 14.7 (15)
March 93.9 (22) 45.9 (13) 36.4 (14) 13.1 (4)

Wow I hope your right I like Memphis, I wouldn't mind seeing them win it all.

Rudy Gay actually won a title in college while playing within an offensive system that didn't center upon him and while he focused on defense.

If he limited his shots and looked to keep the ball moving; he could have been an asset. Unfortunately, he is another Michael Jordan protege that thinks if he's not getting his 20 plus then he's not going to get the attention and cash. There's a lot of truth to that, sadly. But five years from now when he's ringless and has more money than he knows what to do with; he might have some regrets.

He's allowed to constantly carry-over holding the ball behind his back. From there, he can go behind his back or stall and take a quick step forward.

Ginobili or Curry?:confused:

Curry. Watch him. He does it all the time. It makes him a lot more adept than he otherwise would be. He wasn't that quick in college; likely b/c they would have called that on him all game.

Also, watch when Jack drives. About eighty percent of the time, he extends his arm or elbow and its not being called.

Forum List

Back