🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Vermont driver killed after hitting cow in road at more than 100 mph, police say

Outside of the 100 mph speeding, hitting a cow in a rural area is not that uncommon. My wife hit a black cow on a dark unlit rural road and totaled out little subaru at the time. She was buckled in and unhurt. The cow was killed.

Outside of the 100 mph speeding, hitting a cow in a rural area is not that uncommon. My wife hit a black cow on a dark unlit rural road and totaled out little subaru at the time. She was buckled in and unhurt. The cow was killed.

When I was 17 I hit one while driving my dad's truck. Truck totaled, cow dead, I was ok...my Dad was pissed off

"The family of the driver should sue the owner of the cow for letting it on the road."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I think there possibly could be a negligence claim there. On the owner of the cow. Not the cow. Of course, going 100mph could be argued as 'contributory'.

I dunno, I ain't a lawyer.

Here's an aside (but not that far aside)....anyway, visiting Austria a few years back I spoke with an avid hunter.....deer and wild hogs. In that jurisdiction if a deer or a wild hog ran into the highway and got smacked by a car....well, the owner of the land the deer ran off of is liable for damages.

I tell that story at the deer hunting camps I visit in the fall and it invariably is a conversation stopper. There is always a long pause while the group is digesting the ramifications of that (most all of 'em are farmers who have deer on their lands).

And then when the first one recovers the conversations get really really lively.

I also tell them that that same Austrian hunter who told me the deer/car tale also said this: Land is leased to a 'Master' hunter who is then allowed to sub-lease to a certain number of other hunters. However, if wildlife....meaning deer and/or wild hogs ....do damage to the vineyard, corn, or whatever crop, then the primary leaseholder, the Master, is responsible for paying the farmer for the crop damage.

THAT...also sparks lively conversations.

Maybe. But steering away, he may have hit other traffic, buildings, trees or pedestrians. Going 100 mph doesn't give the driver much time to consider other options that might have been worse.
I'm not sure but I think he was making a joke about a steer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I think there possibly could be a negligence claim there. On the owner of the cow. Not the cow. Of course, going 100mph could be argued as 'contributory'.

I dunno, I ain't a lawyer.

Here's an aside (but not that far aside)....anyway, visiting Austria a few years back I spoke with an avid hunter.....deer and wild hogs. In that jurisdiction if a deer or a wild hog ran into the highway and got smacked by a car....well, the owner of the land the deer ran off of is liable for damages.

I tell that story at the deer hunting camps I visit in the fall and it invariably is a conversation stopper. There is always a long pause while the group is digesting the ramifications of that (most all of 'em are farmers who have deer on their lands).

And then when the first one recovers the conversations get really really lively.

I also tell them that that same Austrian hunter who told me the deer/car tale also said this: Land is leased to a 'Master' hunter who is then allowed to sub-lease to a certain number of other hunters. However, if wildlife....meaning deer and/or wild hogs ....do damage to the vineyard, corn, or whatever crop, then the primary leaseholder, the Master, is responsible for paying the farmer for the crop damage.

THAT...also sparks lively conversations.
I think if you were going over the speed limit, particularly a lot over the speed limit, the accident is 100% on you.

Forum List

Back