Walmart Doing Away With Cashiers

Wrong again. An employee of a Rosauer's grocery store in Spokane was fired for stopping a shoplifter in the past year. Broadcast on the local TV.

Maybe because it was against their store policy to stop this person but not because it was illegal to do so.

Wal mart has a no touch policy for shoplifters but if you lay a hand on any associate, it's all bets are off at that point. They can tell you that you can't leave because you are suspected of shoplifting and if you do they can call the police, report your license plate and vehicle description. With everyone having a phone they can also make a video. Combine that with the proof they have (usually HD video) of you stealing something and they can track you down and have you arrested.

Will they do all this for a pack of gum? Probably not. But steal a laptop or something and you betcha.

Last edited:
Yea they do. When you walk into Wal Mart you'll see a door, depending on if you walk in the right or left side entrances, that is unmarked. It will be on the right side for the left side door or the left side of the right side entrance. It will always be locked and it will have no markings as to what is behind it. I saw it open one time and my jaw hit the floor. That room is huge and FULL of people.
LOL

The break room..........they all drinking coffee.....lmao

Yea they do. When you walk into Wal Mart you'll see a door, depending on if you walk in the right or left side entrances, that is unmarked. It will be on the right side for the left side door or the left side of the right side entrance. It will always be locked and it will have no markings as to what is behind it. I saw it open one time and my jaw hit the floor. That room is huge and FULL of people.

I've seen the door. (at one door but not the other). I've seen in them. They have surveillance monitors. I've never seen any big guy monitoring them.

Additionally, due to the “Shopkeeper’s Privilege” laws, Walmart associates can force you to show your receipt and even detain you in the store if they suspect you of shoplifting.
They better have an air tight case (which would be impossible if they detained me) because I would have a large portion of their corporate profits after I was released.

Maybe because it was against their store policy to stop this person but not because it was illegal to do so.

Wal mart has a no touch policy for shoplifters but if you lay a hand on any associate, it's all bets are off at that point. They can tell you that you can't leave because you are suspected of shoplifting and if you do they can call the police, report your license plate and vehicle description. With everyone having a phone they can also make a video. Combine that with the proof they have (usually HD video) of you stealing something and they can track you down and have you arrested.

Will they do all this for a pack of gum? Probably not. But steal a laptop or something and you betcha.
We are in agreement--corporate policies. I used that as an example only to illustrate that they better have a case if they attempt to detain me after I have legally checked out. Impeding my exit is not legal.

I rarely ever set foot in a Walmart, but I went into one the other day because of convenience. They no longer have any cashiers left. The entire check out line has been converted to self check out. Apparently, this is being done all over the country because a friend of mine in Ohio just posted about it on social media.

Here is the result of your $15 an hour for unskilled labor. Enjoy.

AMAZING!

Perusing the thread and seeing people using the technology but with little to no understanding of HOW to use it.

This is simply a natural technological progression.

did cash registers go from paper and pen, to mechanical, to digital because of cashier salaries? OF COURSE NOT.
The technical progression allowed the same number of cashiers to serve more customers and more customers means more money.

In the local Wal Mart there are 2 self serve stations with 8 registers each manned by 1 CSR.
That's 16 registers manned by two people.
Now add queue theory and we can easily see that those 16 stations can serve more customers than 16 individual lines and can do so in less than 1/3 the space.

More customers = more revenues = lower costs = more revenues...

BUUUUT
Salary is not the only consideration.
Employee parking, health insurance, life insurance, SS, medicare, unemployment, other benefits

These changes have NOTHIHG to do with salary and everything to do with the greed of ownership.
Which I personally am fine with.
But put the onus where it belongs.
On the greed of ownership.

Will it be cheaper when I only scan the inexpensive items in my cart and conveniently forget to scan the big ticket items?
Generally, yes.

Most people in most locations will not steal. The stores in high crimes areas will employ security or even cops as those are FAR more effective than cashiers. Shrink is expected and if you think that the cashier makes less than a few pieces of crap plastic in wages, SS taxes, paid time off, overtime and workman's comp just to name a tiny portion of expenses for workers then you do not understand how much someone making $15 an hour then you do not know what labor actually costs.

Generally, yes.

Most people in most locations will not steal. The stores in high crimes areas will employ security or even cops as those are FAR more effective than cashiers. Shrink is expected and if you think that the cashier makes less than a few pieces of crap plastic in wages, SS taxes, paid time off, overtime and workman's comp just to name a tiny portion of expenses for workers then you do not understand how much someone making $15 an hour then you do not know what labor actually costs.
When I was working, the rule of thumb was that an employee's total remuneration was about double their wage.

I've seen the door. (at one door but not the other). I've seen in them. They have surveillance monitors. I've never seen any big guy monitoring them.

There was a big mother fucker at the one I was at. I later saw him walking around the floor. That son of a bitch had to have been 7 feet tall and 300lbs. I was literally looking at this cats belly button when he walked by.

There was a big mother fucker at the one I was at. I later saw him walking around the floor. That son of a bitch had to have been 7 feet tall and 300lbs. I was literally looking at this cats belly button when he walked by.
Big guy with big ass gut please report to Ukraine for Ruskie Duty

You better believe they can detain you. I told you why, look it up.

Additionally, due to the “Shopkeeper’s Privilege” laws, Walmart associates can force you to show your receipt and even detain you in the store if they suspect you of shoplifting.
Uh, no. Not really. Even your links do not say this, they say if they have a reasonable suspicion of shoplifting (something very hard to prove with unskilled labor checking your receipt) and that you may sue for false imprisonment if they try and block you.

"Before taking further action, the worker usually must have reasonable suspicion to believe that you’ve shoplifted. Without that suspicion, the staff can’t stop you from leaving the store."

"If store personnel, including a receipt checker, prevents you from leaving when you have the right to do so, you could have a legal claim for “false imprisonment.” False imprisonment occurs when you are:"

But the truth of the matter is much more simple - a store will almost never try and detain you because the legal liability of the action is MASSIVE. Every single big box retailer that I have ever seen the training for has ALWAYS specifically mentioned that the store personnel are NEVER to interfere with a customer leaving. It is FAR better for the store to eat the shrink or to send video evidence to the police than it is to take the 1 out of 100 chance that they end up getting sued. Even a failed lawsuit will cost them more in ancillary costs than a 100 of the most expensive item in the entire store. This is just the reality on the ground.

Now most of us are going to show our receipts. I have refused on a few occasions, usually because I put the receipt somewhere without thinking and am simply not going to go through my pockets, I threw it away because I don't need a cash receipt and I went to the bathroom or something or when they were clearly profiling me but generally I am going to show it. No reason to give the poor greeter a hard time.

No idea about Costco, your link mentions membership stores but I would bet in those circumstances they do nothing as well - just cancel your membership because you clearly are not the type of shopper they want.

Whatever the law is in a particular state, as ALL of these are state laws so to try and apply your statements to stores generally is incorrect from square one, the reality on the ground simply makes it irrelevant, and that is a universal reality. Those greeters and checking receipts are to discourage shrink and they are actually very effective at that.

I hope he was getting paid more than minimum wage.

Uh, no. Not really. Even your links do not say this, they say if they have a reasonable suspicion of shoplifting (something very hard to prove with unskilled labor checking your receipt) and that you may sue for false imprisonment if they try and block you.

"Before taking further action, the worker usually must have reasonable suspicion to believe that you’ve shoplifted. Without that suspicion, the staff can’t stop you from leaving the store."

"If store personnel, including a receipt checker, prevents you from leaving when you have the right to do so, you could have a legal claim for “false imprisonment.” False imprisonment occurs when you are:"

But the truth of the matter is much more simple - a store will almost never try and detain you because the legal liability of the action is MASSIVE. Every single big box retailer that I have ever seen the training for has ALWAYS specifically mentioned that the store personnel are NEVER to interfere with a customer leaving. It is FAR better for the store to eat the shrink or to send video evidence to the police than it is to take the 1 out of 100 chance that they end up getting sued. Even a failed lawsuit will cost them more in ancillary costs than a 100 of the most expensive item in the entire store. This is just the reality on the ground.

Now most of us are going to show our receipts. I have refused on a few occasions, usually because I put the receipt somewhere without thinking and am simply not going to go through my pockets, I threw it away because I don't need a cash receipt and I went to the bathroom or something or when they were clearly profiling me but generally I am going to show it. No reason to give the poor greeter a hard time.

No idea about Costco, your link mentions membership stores but I would bet in those circumstances they do nothing as well - just cancel your membership because you clearly are not the type of shopper they want.

Whatever the law is in a particular state, as ALL of these are state laws so to try and apply your statements to stores generally is incorrect from square one, the reality on the ground simply makes it irrelevant, and that is a universal reality. Those greeters and checking receipts are to discourage shrink and they are actually very effective at that.

Dude, it won't be "unskilled labor" checking the receipt that will be the suspicion of shoplifting. It would be asset protection having watched you on the cameras trying to conceal merchandise.

Dude, it won't be "unskilled labor" checking the receipt that will be the suspicion of shoplifting. It would be asset protection having watched you on the cameras trying to conceal merchandise.
Uh, no.

That would be when the security guard comes and checks your stuff, not the receipt checker that we are talking about.

And, btw, that security guard is ALSO trained to not forcefully detain you. He will do nothing if you walk away except calling the police and they will take care of you. Quite forcefully as you cant sue them for slamming you into the ground because you were being an idiot. Most Wal-Mart's that have to go to this length have a cop on premises to deal with that directly anyway.

But then again, if a security guard is asking you then you will almost certainly comply - now you are in a situation you are going to lose. But we were not discussing that situation, we were talking about receipt checkers and not showing your receipt.

Uh, no.

That would be when the security guard comes and checks your stuff, not the receipt checker that we are talking about.

And, btw, that security guard is ALSO trained to not forcefully detain you. He will do nothing if you walk away except calling the police and they will take care of you. Quite forcefully as you cant sue them for slamming you into the ground because you were being an idiot. Most Wal-Mart's that have to go to this length have a cop on premises to deal with that directly anyway.

But then again, if a security guard is asking you then you will almost certainly comply - now you are in a situation you are going to lose. But we were not discussing that situation, we were talking about receipt checkers and not showing your receipt.

Fuck RCers. I'm only talking about real security.

I talked to a WM employee a while back and she said shoplifting is on a steep rise because people wear Covid masks to hide their identity from cameras and with mandatory masks and such of course nobody suspects you of being a thief if you walk in wearing a mask covering your face.

Fuck RCers. I'm only talking about real security.

I talked to a WM employee a while back and she said shoplifting is on a steep rise because people wear Covid masks to hide their identity from cameras and with mandatory masks and such of course nobody suspects you of being a thief if you walk in wearing a mask covering your face.
Well, I do not disagree when we bring actual security in on it. My comments are directly at the claim that a receipt checker has the ability to stop you from leaving the store. Not only is that legally specious in the best of circumstances, it is almost functionally impossible due to the realities of litigation.

Security is another matter entirely. Particularly since most major Wal-Mart chains reach directly to the cops for their real security. There is more than enough commerce going on there to justify the cost of having local police there to mitigate liability. But that is a far cry from the guy asking 100 percent of the customers leaving the store to show a receipt. Generally, when you have drawn the attention of the security, showing a receipt is immaterial.

I may be in the minority but I like checking myself out. No long lines to stand in and it’s more convenient. No issues here.

That's fine but don't stop me on my way out the door or complain when we have to raise taxes to pay for those out of jobs.

Forum List

Back