Was "Make America great again" a cultural OR economic slogan?

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
Polls show that the vast majority of Trump's undaunted and never discouraged base is made up of older (retired,) white, evangelical Americans, who are willing to forgo (if not outright forgive) the less than stellar business and personal history of Trump.

Bankruptcies, divorces, pending law suits, and the impending investigations, ALL seem frivolous to that base of trump supporters.....

So, the question arose in my mind if that "make America great gain" slogan had a cultural or economic appeal to voters last November......FULLY realizing that most trump supporters would respond to my question with the facile "BOTH," a closer scrutiny may yield a more nuanced response.

Polls show that the vast majority of Trump's undaunted and never discouraged base is made up of older (retired,) white, evangelical Americans, who are willing to forgo (if not outright forgive) the less than stellar business and personal history of Trump.

Bankruptcies, divorces, pending law suits, and the impending investigations, ALL seem frivolous to that base of trump supporters.....

So, the question arose in my mind if that "make America great gain" slogan had a cultural or economic appeal to voters last November......FULLY realizing that most trump supporters would respond to my question with the facile "BOTH," a closer scrutiny may yield a more nuanced response.
I'm guessing the answer you will get will be along the lines of one of these three:

But, but, but Hillary......................
But, but, but Obama....................
But, but, but Bill Clinton..............

Make America Great Again was actually a slogan that Reagan used when he was running for the presidency. Trump just took it and used it.

As far as was it cultural or economic? I think a bit of both, but would lean heavily towards the cultural side of things. Why? Because the Republicans immediately started bitching about "taking back our country" the day after Obama was elected, even though there was nothing to take back.

After 8 years of the GOP bitching about Obama and his policies, as well as screaming that they needed to take back their country, it's no wonder Trump came in and won like he did. People had already quit paying attention by that time and were just reciting jingoistic bumper stickers.

No wonder MAGA resonated so much with the conservatives.

It is cultural. All those older white people saw a black man as president, elected twice, and in THEIR minds they saw this as the world changing around them and they were not ready for it AT ALL. Many of them are racist, some are casual racists, some aren't but they still saw the world around them as TOO different TOO fast for them to handle. Trump was just the protest vote of all those people who said "oh yeah force me to accept a black president and gay marriage? Well then here is my gigantic shit on the White House, now you get to smell that for four years."

It was a revenge vote, in their minds anyway.

Both, but far more interested in the cultural side if things.

business bankruptcy and divorce seems like BIG DEAL to you?

"Make ameria great again" was rehashed reformulated "hope and change". Goldman Sachs always winds up running the white house "either" way.

MAGA was code for: get a white guy back in there (cultural) and then everything will be great again, including the economy.

MAGA was code for: get a white guy back in there (cultural) and then everything will be great again, including the economy.
It was certainly recieved that way by many. That's the beauty of the vagary of the slogans our system runs on. No one is really saying anything so it can be interpreted as anything, but it means nothing. That's how all our corporate state "leaders" speak.

I would think that would be a pretty BIG DEAL to most people, wouldn't you?

No wonder MAGA resonated so much with the conservatives.

(I know that republicans hate to hear this).....BUT, do you believe that MAGA has a tinge of also racial intolerance toward Obama?

Actually, yeah, I do. Why? Because up until Obama, all our presidents had been white. MAGA could have been used by some as a way to protest having a black president.

Quick question for you................do you think that MAGA would have resonated as much if the Democratic nominee had been a white male?

Sure.......when someone runs a campaign as the BIGGEST and GREATEST businessman that ever walked the planet....than bankruptcies ARE a big deal.

....and when one runs as a candidate who should be favored by evangelicals, divorces and grabbing pussies ARE a big deal.

As America is great and did/does not need someone to make it great again, after Barack did make it way better, seems to be what low IQ voters want as they haven't a clue what great is.

I would think that would be a pretty BIG DEAL to most people, wouldn't you?

no-----more than 1 out of three marriages end in divorce and BUSINESSES go
bankrupt left and right, I was far more annoyed by Hilary's lawyerly machinations

Quick question for you................do you think that MAGA would have resonated as much if the Democratic nominee had been a white male?

Quick answer........NO, not resonated nearly as much were we to have had an opponent that was not also breaking an ingrained cultural bias as gender.

Forum List

Back