Washington Redskins trademark cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm wondering will the Dallas Cowboys have to change their name as well since over the years cowboys did not treat Indians very well could the name Cowboys be offensive? I think the Dallas Stars and Mavericks will be good but not sure about Texas Rangers they weren't to good to Indians either that name might have to go as well how about everyone else's local sports teams any names that offend?

Last edited:
The ruling is being appealed. This came up before ten years ago and the Redskins won. The owner says he doesn't care if they win or lose the appeal. He's not changing the name.

Now I'm wondering will the Dallas Cowboys have to change their name as well since over the years cowboys did not treat Indians very well could the name Cowboys be offensive?

Ha, well I'm worried about my team. The KC Chiefs.

Just a few years ago we had the stupid controversy over the tomahawk chop that all the fans did during the game. The stadium actually asked everyone to stop doing it.

Now I'm wondering will the Dallas Cowboys have to change their name as well since over the years cowboys did not treat Indians very well could the name Cowboys be offensive?

Ha, well I'm worried about my team. The KC Chiefs.

Just a few years ago we had the stupid controversy over the tomahawk chop that all the fans did during the game. The stadium actually asked everyone to stop doing it.

OMG I just realized were going to get a new government agency out of all this The Bureau Of Offensive Sports Team Names.

BTW, has anybody here ever actually MET someone who was "offended" by the name, Washington Redskins?

Aside from liberal whiners who lie as easily as they breathe?

Since polling data has shown that 4 out of 5 people polled support the use of the name, and since only 11% think it should be changed, I doubt this has much to do with liberal whiners. It's funny how right wing nut jobs will use any topic to throw out something they can't stand about those liberal communists, even this. You crack me up. :badgrin:
I wouldnt give a shit if the polling data showed 99% of people wanted the owner jailed on charges of hate speech. It is simply an infringement of property rights for the government to strip someone of his property because they deem it offensive.

Washington Warriors, Washington Nationals, Washington Monacan, lots of alternate choices. The FSU Seminoles worked with the First Nation, instead of insulting them.

Ya do realize that those Injuns who object to the name are the extreme minority and most do so only for political reasons..... right?

Five nations were involved; they prevailed thus far. Snyder has, or will, appeal. "Redskins" has been used as a derogatory term, no question:

In 1863, a Winona, MN newspaper, the Daily Republican, printed among other announcements: "The state reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth." [22] A linguistic analysis of 42 books published between 1875 and 1930 shows that negative contexts in the use of redskin were significantly more frequent than positive usage.[13] However, the use of the word Indian in a similarly selected set of books was nearly the same with more frequent negative than positive contexts.[13] suggesting that Redskin was not a derogatory term, but that most portrayals of Native Americans were negative in general. The term was in common use in movies during the most popular period for Hollywood westerns (approximately 1920-1970), with "redskins" usually being used to refer to Native Americans when war was imminent or in process.[23]

Snyder can continuing using the term, he just doesn't own it, or the logo. :lol:

5 out of 562..................Life's a bitch and those 5 nations can kiss my nation's ass...... Thanks for proving my point. :thup:
Obviously I, and most of my people could care less what Hollywood and some 42 authors had to say. As for the Trademark Office doing this, they over stepped their authority because of the reason they used to make the decision, a political and not an administrative/rules decision. Their job has nothing to do with politics. I hope they get their pants sue off.

"City of the Angels Angels"

to the great majority of the Angel fans in this City its still either the Anaheim Angels or California Angels.....i have never heard anyone acknowledge that ridiculous Los Angeles reference....

They will always be the California Angels to me. I grew up just a few miles from the stadium.

where abouts?.....i can walk to the stadium....many cant believe the city let them call them LA when we are not even in that fucked up County....

is the term redneck trademarked? no

common law trademark? you might want to look into that.

or maybe people should stop going out of their way to be offensive. I don't think anyone would want to see a team called the san diego white trash.

The Fighting Irish mascot's appearance is based upon the old semi-simian stereotype of Irishmen. I'm sure some people of Irish descent have an issue with it, but no one seems to care about that.

fighting_irish.jpg

I haven't heard any people of irish decent complaining about it. the irish people I know always liked it.

but then again fighting irish isn't a racial slur. I suspect if the team were the "fighting micks" they'd feel about like the native americans do since that's more on par.

It implies Irish people are violent, and again, its about the picture.

The whole Redskins thing sets the standard that as long as some people are offended, its gotta go. The lawsuit was brought by a total of 5 Native Americans. Is that the threshold?

This has more to do with white liberal guilt and pandering than Native American Angst.

The Fighting Irish mascot's appearance is based upon the old semi-simian stereotype of Irishmen. I'm sure some people of Irish descent have an issue with it, but no one seems to care about that.

fighting_irish.jpg

I haven't heard any people of irish decent complaining about it. the irish people I know always liked it.

but then again fighting irish isn't a racial slur. I suspect if the team were the "fighting micks" they'd feel about like the native americans do since that's more on par.

It implies Irish people are violent, and again, its about the picture.

The whole Redskins thing sets the standard that as long as some people are offended, its gotta go. The lawsuit was brought by a total of 5 Native Americans. Is that the threshold?

This has more to do with white liberal guilt and pandering than Native American Angst.
39876-The-Rock-applauds-applause-cla-OmWp_zps813065b8.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
to the great majority of the Angel fans in this City its still either the Anaheim Angels or California Angels.....i have never heard anyone acknowledge that ridiculous Los Angeles reference....

They will always be the California Angels to me. I grew up just a few miles from the stadium.

where abouts?.....i can walk to the stadium....many cant believe the city let them call them LA when we are not even in that fucked up County....

I know, doesn't make any sense. I grew up in Norwalk.

New phrase: 'Black skins' instead of 'Blacks', or 'person of colour, or ******, or the flash mob who just looted the convenience store.

So we've got high schools with native American students proud to be known as Redskins. And what does the term mean? It means their skin is red. What does the term blacks mean? That their skin is black, yet the term is used all the time by blacks and others. And what about the use of brown in relation to Hispanics? An obvious reference to their skin color too.

This Redskins issue is nothing more than insane PC bullshit by lefty idiots that people are caving to, most notably the NFL itself.

We'll see what the appeal brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back