🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What are the two main parties doing about educating kids with skills for the future?

All governments in the US spend gobs of money on education, but they do so very inefficiently. At the end of the day, under those circumstances, of course some children will succeed while others will fail. By far, what separates success from failure is the parent. You can spend $100,000 on someone like Michael Brown and get an illiterate thug, or spend a few $1000 on an Asian immigrant kid and get a class valedictorian. Why? Because nature and the deciding factors, not political parties.

education is a state function, not a federal one. a better question is: why have we allowed the teachers union to destroy our educational system?

Ten million jobs at risk from advancing technology - Yahoo Finance UK

This is a British article, but the relevance is all too clear. The future is higher tech, jobs will disappear as they have done in the past, to be replaced by robots. Other jobs will appear, what will they be? No doubt they will be maintenance of robots, develop of robots and other higher tech jobs.

In order to get such job people need a higher level of education. Poorer people need to be able to access these jobs as well as lower level jobs might be hard harder than current higher level jobs.

So what are the two main parties doing about trying to keep the US in a position of strength for the future?

Nothing would be my guess.
You'd be wrong. Democrats are not Republicans.

14 and 15 from Obama's top 50:

14. Kicked Banks Out of Federal Student Loan Program, Expanded Pell Grant Spending: As part of the 2010 health care reform bill, signed measure ending the wasteful decades-old practice of subsidizing banks to provide college loans. Starting July 2010 all students began getting their federal student loans directly from the federal government. Treasury will save $67 billion over ten years, $36 billion of which will go to expanding Pell Grants to lower-income students.

15. Created Race to the Top: With funds from stimulus, started $4.35 billion program of competitive grants to encourage and reward states for education reform.

Obama 8217 s Top 50 Accomplishments by Paul Glastris Ryan Cooper and Siyu Hu The Washington Monthly

Obama has also pushed for young people going to technical schools and Jr. College. College and Universities are not for everyone. But anyone can learn a "skill". Unfortunately, Republicans have worked to block everything Obama has tried to do. Their hatred for Obama is so bad, even if they didn't believe in education or science, they would still try to block him.

GOP blocks veterans jobs bill with budget vote TheHill

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/veterans-jobs-bill-blocked-in-the-senate/?_r=0

Republicans shelve Obama s proposed Veterans Jobs Corps - Los Angeles Times

education is a state function, not a federal one. a better question is: why have we allowed the teachers union to destroy our educational system?
The federal government has more resources. Besides. Republican states would only teach magical creation and other such nonsense. These people aren't serious about learning.

Heh. If I had a dollar for every time I have said on this forum "we should be training our kids for the jobs of tomorrow" and "the days of growing up to work in your daddy's factory are long gone"...

There was a party that was working on that. Actually, two parties were. There is this thing called "Common Core" which was built entirely at the state level, with no federal funding, which was designed to the skills the business community was saying it needed in future employees.

Common Core was instituted in 46 states. That means RED and BLUE states. Almost every state.

Then one day, Obama and Congress say they like Common Core and that it meets the federal minimum standards and let's give the states the same federal cash we have been giving them all along all these decades.

The next thing you know, Obama Derangement Syndrome goes into overdrive and the Right starts tearing down the Common Core posters, screaming that Satan's minions must have put them up.

That alliance ends and Oceania allied with Eurasia fights Eastasia, a change which occurred during the Hate Week dedicated to creating patriotic fervour for the Party's perpetual war. The public are blind to the change; in mid-sentence an orator changes the name of the enemy from "Eurasia" to "Eastasia" without pause. When the public are enraged at noticing that the wrong flags and posters are displayed they tear them down—thus the origin of the idiom "We've always been at war with Eastasia".

Retards. Self-inflicted brain damaged groupthink retards.

This is a British article, but the relevance is all too clear. The future is higher tech, jobs will disappear as they have done in the past, to be replaced by robots. Other jobs will appear, what will they be? No doubt they will be maintenance of robots, develop of robots and other higher tech jobs.

In order to get such job people need a higher level of education. Poorer people need to be able to access these jobs as well as lower level jobs might be hard harder than current higher level jobs.

So what are the two main parties doing about trying to keep the US in a position of strength for the future?

I would hope nothing. Both parties have royally screwed up the education system.

Shouldn't this question be directed at parents?

No, the govt (both state and federal) want to have mass education that meets the needs of society. If the US wants to be a player in the 2nd half of the 21st century, it's going to need more in the way of skilled workers, better educated workers with the right skills. Competing with China is going to be different.

It is not for parents to design the mass education system.

You just lost your conservative support in this thread.

Well.... what do you want me to do? The right things to do are not to the liking of the right, should that surprise me?

I don't go looking for support by saying the thing that people want to hear. I say it as it is. If they're not convinced, then they're not convinced. I'm not going to drop what I think is necessary because others might not like it.

Look here. Why don't you relax and listen to what's going on here instead of reacting. This thread began with you asking a question. I answered it and you decided that my answer was insufficient and challenged it. That immediately won you some nutter support.

The fact is that the Democrats.....Obama.....Kerry...Clinton.....Pelosi.....all support teachers unions and ways to make public education effective. The GOP doesn't. The GOP thinks that WE, as a nation, have no responsibility to educate children.

You and I agree.....but you have some weird idea that ALL politicians fuck up education. That isn't the case. One party is far more likely to allocate resources in the way that you suggest.

Find a different question. The one you asked isn't valid.

I'm sorry you don't like my question. I don't care that you don't like my question either, but hey, whatever.

Yes, the republicans seem to think education is only for parents to deal with. This doesn't mean that democrats don't mess up education either.
Like someone said, a lot of times people on the left are more interested with equality than education. I've seen this first hand, it sucks.
Education needs to be done in an intelligent manner. I don't really see this being done on a mass level by either side.

But perhaps one party is more likely than the other.

However I'd point to the problem with politics which has basically brought the whole country to a standstill, nothing really happening, which is the fault of both parties, as one of the reasons why education is falling behind.

All governments in the US spend gobs of money on education, but they do so very inefficiently. At the end of the day, under those circumstances, of course some children will succeed while others will fail. By far, what separates success from failure is the parent. You can spend $100,000 on someone like Michael Brown and get an illiterate thug, or spend a few $1000 on an Asian immigrant kid and get a class valedictorian. Why? Because nature and the deciding factors, not political parties.

But education isn't about producing the best. It's about making an individual move as high as they can go.

Parents play a part, genes play a part. But not enough.

Yes, money is often thrown at education is an arbitrary manner. But this is the biggest problem. Money needs to be spent wisely. It's amazing how education often brings the worst out of people when they're trying to decide what to teach.

But, at the end of the day, the US needs a mass education system. Business people are going to need workers who have the skills necessary to run their business. In 20 years time this is going to be different from today, in 100 it will probably be wildly different.

You can't just leave this up to parents.

Heh. If I had a dollar for every time I have said on this forum "we should be training our kids for the jobs of tomorrow" and "the days of growing up to work in your daddy's factory are long gone"...

There was a party that was working on that. Actually, two parties were. There is this thing called "Common Core" which was built entirely at the state level, with no federal funding, which was designed to the skills the business community was saying it needed in future employees.

Common Core was instituted in 46 states. That means RED and BLUE states. Almost every state.

Then one day, Obama and Congress say they like Common Core and that it meets the federal minimum standards and let's give the states the same federal cash we have been giving them all along all these decades.

The next thing you know, Obama Derangement Syndrome goes into overdrive and the Right starts tearing down the Common Core posters, screaming that Satan's minions must have put them up.

That alliance ends and Oceania allied with Eurasia fights Eastasia, a change which occurred during the Hate Week dedicated to creating patriotic fervour for the Party's perpetual war. The public are blind to the change; in mid-sentence an orator changes the name of the enemy from "Eurasia" to "Eastasia" without pause. When the public are enraged at noticing that the wrong flags and posters are displayed they tear them down—thus the origin of the idiom "We've always been at war with Eastasia".

Common core seemed to be a step in the right direction, but I think it won't be enough for the future. It's just basics. The future will not be about basics.

I'm not talking about the feds actually running education. I'm talking about the feds using the money that they put into education, which is a lot, and using it wisely to help direct states into making education what it needs to be. You don't need 50 states all doing the same research to reach the same or different conclusions. You can have one govt do it, and then spread it around. It doesn't need to be the federal govt, but they are in a better position to unite education.

Isn't it YOUR responsibility to keep your children well educated?

Why is it your neighbors or taxpayers responsibility?

I Find this thread scary as hell someone thinks it up to people in Government and us taxpayers to educate their children. If YOU can't educate your own child, DON'T have any.. thanks

have you seen a simple math problem done with common core techniques? Its lunacy. Check it out, you might learn something.

Common core seemed to be a step in the right direction, but I think it won't be enough for the future. It's just basics. The future will not be about basics.

Obama Derangement Syndrome goes into overdrive and the Right starts tearing down the Common Core posters, screaming that Satan's minions must have put them up.

idiom "We've always been at war with Eastasia".

have you seen a simple math problem done with common core techniques? Its lunacy. Check it out, you might learn something.

I'm not talking about the feds actually running education. I'm talking about the feds using the money that they put into education, which is a lot, and using it wisely to help direct states into making education what it needs to be. You don't need 50 states all doing the same research to reach the same or different conclusions. You can have one govt do it, and then spread it around. It doesn't need to be the federal govt, but they are in a better position to unite education.

The far left mentality at its best!

Education is not a federal responsibility. Common core is a disaster. The teachers union is responsible for a lot of the poor education of today. Teaching political correctness and how to put on a condom instead of reading, writing, and math.

People need to wake up to Common Core

It's "indoctrination" at it's finest. Schools under this administration has been turned into little commie camps.

Skills for the future? You mean like how to upload a Youtube video, make a Twitter account, stuff like that? :)

Skills for the future? You mean like how to upload a Youtube video, make a Twitter account, stuff like that? :)

yeah, and muslim history, global warming, and the evils of the USA.

Forum List

Back