🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What are the two main parties doing about educating kids with skills for the future?

Ten million jobs at risk from advancing technology - Yahoo Finance UK

This is a British article, but the relevance is all too clear. The future is higher tech, jobs will disappear as they have done in the past, to be replaced by robots. Other jobs will appear, what will they be? No doubt they will be maintenance of robots, develop of robots and other higher tech jobs.

In order to get such job people need a higher level of education. Poorer people need to be able to access these jobs as well as lower level jobs might be hard harder than current higher level jobs.

So what are the two main parties doing about trying to keep the US in a position of strength for the future?

Nothing would be my guess.

The draft of the immigration EO the president is about to write talks about technology jobs. Half a million of them...all going to illegal...er pseudo legal, er, those that won't be deported on their way to citizenship. Not Americans.

Yes, those who are now getting the green cards and are illegal but are parents of children born in the US. They will be on a path to citizenship and half a million of them will get technology jobs that American citizens would have gotten had Obama stayed out of the picture.

I don't think that is fair.

Because one of them would like to end public education in America and the other would not. I thought I was clear.

No, not really clear. I'd say both parties are pretty bad at education.

Yes, when you have political parties trying to "fix" the education system, both parties could look pretty bad.
Simply because there is no way for a politician to fix this.

When 50% of kids are in a divorce situation. No dad around. When literacy rates have fallen. When there are no parents who want to back the teachers. When access to the TV and Internet are un restricted. No decent diet.
Not enough rest.

In other words; until parents start sending kids to school and those kids are ready, willing and able to learn, there is no amount of money or criticism of teachers that is going to fix this situation.

All you have to do is look at what the home life situation is like for the very successful schools and kids, to start to understand just what has happened.

Studies have shown that a kid who sits down to dinner with their family just a few nights a week does much better in school than those that don't do this. That shows the breakdown in the family is also the breakdown in the education process. No one sits down as a family for dinner anymore.

Well, the Democrats are more worried about "fairness" than results, and the Republicans are trying to find a way to invest zero dollars.

So we're in great fucking shape there.

Yep, no one's actually caring about the reality of the situation.

Time for real change?

Well, the Democrats are more worried about "fairness" than results, and the Republicans are trying to find a way to invest zero dollars.

So we're in great fucking shape there.

Yep, no one's actually caring about the reality of the situation.

Time for real change?

Certainly, but I don't know how we get there from here.

Everything is now politicized, i.e., dumbed down, bumper-stickered and over-simplified, and truly fixing our education system would require adjustments in attitudes from our national and state governments and (perhaps more importantly) our culture. Cooperation. I just don't see it.

I don't know why people today don't just have the kid give it over to government for 12 years of school and they can visit them on weekends.

Certainly, but I don't know how we get there from here.

Everything is now politicized, i.e., dumbed down, bumper-stickered and over-simplified, and truly fixing our education system would require adjustments in attitudes from our national and state governments and (perhaps more importantly) our culture. Cooperation. I just don't see it.

And all of this is because there is a system in place which is controlled, because it is controllable, by the big two parties. The ONLY way to get cooperation, democracy, a certain amount of sense, debate, real politics, is to follow those who have a system that actually achieves this. And that's PR. Proportional Representation, one vote is really one vote. A vote in Ohio is the same as a vote in Florida is the same as a vote in New York. This isn't the case.

I've said it many times, the countries that come top of lists of countries with govts who treat their people the best and who have the best quality of life indexes, are generally PR countries. Scandinavia, Germanic countries and so on are all up there and have PR.

This is a British article, but the relevance is all too clear. The future is higher tech, jobs will disappear as they have done in the past, to be replaced by robots. Other jobs will appear, what will they be? No doubt they will be maintenance of robots, develop of robots and other higher tech jobs.

In order to get such job people need a higher level of education. Poorer people need to be able to access these jobs as well as lower level jobs might be hard harder than current higher level jobs.

So what are the two main parties doing about trying to keep the US in a position of strength for the future?

Shouldn't this question be directed at parents?

Shouldn't this question be directed at parents?

Yes that used to be. Like I said just have the kid and turn it over to government for 12 years. They can figure what jobs they will be worthwhile in, be it ditch digging, doing their lawn care for them, etc
sheesh

Because one of them would like to end public education in America and the other would not. I thought I was clear.

Yes, when you have political parties trying to "fix" the education system, both parties could look pretty bad.

When 50% of kids are in a divorce situation. No dad around. When literacy rates have fallen. When there are no parents who want to back the teachers. When access to the TV and Internet are un restricted. No decent diet.
Not enough rest.

In other words; until parents start sending kids to school and those kids are ready, willing and able to learn, there is no amount of money or criticism of teachers that is going to fix this situation.

All you have to do is look at what the home life situation is like for the very successful schools and kids, to start to understand just what has happened.

Studies have shown that a kid who sits down to dinner with their family just a few nights a week does much better in school than those that don't do this. That shows the breakdown in the family is also the breakdown in the education process. No one sits down as a family for dinner anymore.

So how can this be fixed?

I'm going to go all out on this one and say what I think can be done to help.

1) Education of kids to become adults. This is part debate skills, logical thinking and so on. I'm a person who thinks skills should be taught as the most important thing in education.

However, from that point, learning how to be an adult. How to cooperate with people. But let's go further. Teaching kids how to see bullying, obesity, mental problems and so on. Have them discuss about these topics. Even discuss how to choose a partner for a wife.

This might sound a little oddball, but it's getting kids thinking about stuff and putting it into reality. I trained with a guy, university educated and all, he got on really well with another girl who was working with him but wasn't a great looker. He was never going to go out with her. He was always going out with girls just for looks, and he wasn't a great looker, so it was a struggle for him most of the time. To the point of embarrassment. And I just thought that if he had been made aware more of what's going on inside his head, to think of the future, the present and everything in a logical way, he might have made a better choice.

Another reality is the girl from Nebraska. I was working up in the Rockies in Colorado and a work colleague was a girl who was probably quite a bit above average for intelligence. We happened to be in a car talking about Brad Pitt and Jennifer Annison's up and coming marriage (a while back sure). I'm one to make ridiculous jokes, so I said "It's not a matter of when they get married, but when they get divorced". Her reply shocked me. She basically said people get married and stay together happily forever.
I made me realise that in the US there are plenty of people like this. They've had the 1950s perfect family shoved down their throats their whole life by the govt, that they actually believe this. Instead of dealing in reality young adults are dealing in a fantasy and when their life doesn't reach this fantasy they get divorced and things like this.
We need to be educating people in how to have a stable family, how to make the correct decisions. It doesn't take any kind of mind control, it's about having kids talk about issues, especially at high school, about their future life so they can live it better.

You see on here. Michelle Obama says that one ketchup is enough. The right wingers go nuts, that schools shouldn't be telling kids what to eat. Wrong, schools should be telling kids how to eat healthily and showing them that this can taste good so when they're adults they can choose whether to move away from fast food or not. School is about education. They don't need an education in rubbish food, they need it in good food.

With this, perhaps in 2 generations, there can be a difference. But the slide has been going on for a long time. Presidents in the past haven't done anything to help, nor has Congress. This slide's been happening since the end of WW2 and more.

Each generation moves further away from reality and closer to fantasy that turns sour.

Not enough rest.

So how can this be fixed?

I'm going to go all out on this one and say what I think can be done to help.

1) Education of kids to become adults. This is part debate skills, logical thinking and so on. I'm a person who thinks skills should be taught as the most important thing in education.

However, from that point, learning how to be an adult. How to cooperate with people. But let's go further. Teaching kids how to see bullying, obesity, mental problems and so on. Have them discuss about these topics. Even discuss how to choose a partner for a wife.

This might sound a little oddball, but it's getting kids thinking about stuff and putting it into reality. I trained with a guy, university educated and all, he got on really well with another girl who was working with him but wasn't a great looker. He was never going to go out with her. He was always going out with girls just for looks, and he wasn't a great looker, so it was a struggle for him most of the time. To the point of embarrassment. And I just thought that if he had been made aware more of what's going on inside his head, to think of the future, the present and everything in a logical way, he might have made a better choice.

Another reality is the girl from Nebraska. I was working up in the Rockies in Colorado and a work colleague was a girl who was probably quite a bit above average for intelligence. We happened to be in a car talking about Brad Pitt and Jennifer Annison's up and coming marriage (a while back sure). I'm one to make ridiculous jokes, so I said "It's not a matter of when they get married, but when they get divorced". Her reply shocked me. She basically said people get married and stay together happily forever.
I made me realise that in the US there are plenty of people like this. They've had the 1950s perfect family shoved down their throats their whole life by the govt, that they actually believe this. Instead of dealing in reality young adults are dealing in a fantasy and when their life doesn't reach this fantasy they get divorced and things like this.
We need to be educating people in how to have a stable family, how to make the correct decisions. It doesn't take any kind of mind control, it's about having kids talk about issues, especially at high school, about their future life so they can live it better.

You see on here. Michelle Obama says that one ketchup is enough. The right wingers go nuts, that schools shouldn't be telling kids what to eat. Wrong, schools should be telling kids how to eat healthily and showing them that this can taste good so when they're adults they can choose whether to move away from fast food or not. School is about education. They don't need an education in rubbish food, they need it in good food.

With this, perhaps in 2 generations, there can be a difference. But the slide has been going on for a long time. Presidents in the past haven't done anything to help, nor has Congress. This slide's been happening since the end of WW2 and more.

Each generation moves further away from reality and closer to fantasy that turns sour.

You just lost your conservative support in this thread.

Political parties have precious little to do this. The onus is on the parents. Most Asians and many whites will succeed where some Hispanics and most blacks will fail. Political parties have precious little to do with nature or nurture.

When did it become either party's responsibility to educate people on the skills they need to find a job?

Since about 1789 or so, I'd hazard a guess.

article 1 section 8

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States;"

Provide for general welfare.... education sounds like general welfare to me.

However, education is generally a state issue. That doesn't mean the federal govt doesn't or shouldn't play a part. It doesn't need to directly run schools to have an impact. It can promote types of education that would be beneficial and states can choose to take up or not govt suggestions, etc based on research and good ideas.

Well.... what do you want me to do? The right things to do are not to the liking of the right, should that surprise me?

I don't go looking for support by saying the thing that people want to hear. I say it as it is. If they're not convinced, then they're not convinced. I'm not going to drop what I think is necessary because others might not like it.

Political parties have precious little to do this. The onus is on the parents. Most Asians and many whites will succeed where some Hispanics and most blacks will fail. Political parties have precious little to do with nature or nurture.

Which is, of course, a load of rubbish. Schools often play a massive role in kids' lives. You have parents who are very good and will take this role and make their kids. However you have a massive rate of kids with parents who don't have time, energy, desire etc to be there all the time for their kids. My parents worked, I went home from school and did what I wanted to do because no one was at home.

Political parties have a lot to do with this. Why?

Firstly because they are the people who can unite schools. They play a part in making teacher development. I've seen teaching in various countries and seen the massive different a govt can make in this area.
School funding is a big one. It's not always how much money, but how the money is spent. If the money is spent in improving teaching standards, teacher development, getting the right people through to make this happen and so on, then you can have an education system to be proud of. If you allow it to rot, it might just do that.

Like I've said before, I'm a person who believes kids should leave school with SKILLS. Who cares if they know Geography or whatever if they don't have the skills to be able to go into the working world? Govt (whether state or fed) plays a big part in what is learned at school, how it is learned at school, and things like this.

There is plenty of scope for parents, for the general mentality of the parents, as you have said, but that doesn't mean the govt can't have a massive impact.

When did it become either party's responsibility to educate people on the skills they need to find a job?

Since about 1789 or so, I'd hazard a guess.

article 1 section 8

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States;"

Provide for general welfare.... education sounds like general welfare to me.

However, education is generally a state issue. That doesn't mean the federal govt doesn't or shouldn't play a part. It doesn't need to directly run schools to have an impact. It can promote types of education that would be beneficial and states can choose to take up or not govt suggestions, etc based on research and good ideas.[/QUOTE
Given the governments record on promoting things I'm not sure how beneficial that would be. In any event it comes down to the individual choosing to get the education if they don't do we have government fine and or tax them over it?

Well.... what do you want me to do? The right things to do are not to the liking of the right, should that surprise me?

I don't go looking for support by saying the thing that people want to hear. I say it as it is. If they're not convinced, then they're not convinced. I'm not going to drop what I think is necessary because others might not like it.

Look here. Why don't you relax and listen to what's going on here instead of reacting. This thread began with you asking a question. I answered it and you decided that my answer was insufficient and challenged it. That immediately won you some nutter support.

The fact is that the Democrats.....Obama.....Kerry...Clinton.....Pelosi.....all support teachers unions and ways to make public education effective. The GOP doesn't. The GOP thinks that WE, as a nation, have no responsibility to educate children.

You and I agree.....but you have some weird idea that ALL politicians fuck up education. That isn't the case. One party is far more likely to allocate resources in the way that you suggest.

Find a different question. The one you asked isn't valid.

Never fear, American Children fortunate enough to be sentenced to ...er.... attending public schools are afforded exceptional high tech training in the areas of social media, world of warcraft and reality TV in between compulsory lectures on political correctness and gender awareness, so yeah we're churning out kids that can compete with best couch potatoes in the world. :D

Forum List

Back